9 replies to this topic

#1 Edrixx

Edrixx

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:28 AM

Hey everyone, I am hoping that someone can drop some GPK knowledge on me. A friend of mine found a box of 1985 series 1 GPK...9 packs out of the 48 have been opened. Any idea what this could be worth? Is it better to open them all? She already found 2 Adam Bombs...which I know sell for quite a bit if graded.

Also, is it worth sending these in for grading? I'm looking for info on how to get these graded but having trouble finding prices...any ideas?

Thank you,

#2 jason76basin

jason76basin

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 07:52 AM

what is it your friend is wanting to do with this box? do they want to try to make a full set of os1? do they want to just sell the cards to make a profit? in topps early years they were horrible at off center cards, so your friend could open the rest of the box and the cards could all be off center.............or if they were in good shape, out of each pack of 5 cards you'll have one card that is gum stained,and one that is wax stained. if your friend is looking to make money, have them sell the partial box on ebay. grading cards gets expensive.......the more you send at one time the cheaper it gets, but i think to get a price break you send in say 100 cards and you get them graded for 5-7 each compared to the 10-12 it is usually per card. those prices aren't exact, but they are fairly close. it gets pricey grading. it really boils down to what exactly your friend wants to accomplish with the box. hope this helps

#3 jason76basin

jason76basin

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 08:08 AM

also, are you in the u.s. or uk? i assumed we are talking about the u.s. release gpk, if it's the uk stuff open em all, they ain't worth alot of $ anyway

#4 Edrixx

Edrixx

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:16 AM

also, are you in the u.s. or uk? i assumed we are talking about the u.s. release gpk, if it's the uk stuff open em all, they ain't worth alot of $ anyway

Very interesting, thank you. So I believe the 'box' she has said 'Made in Ireland'...however, I have been unable to notice a difference between any of the specific cards themselves (the cards themselves are not labeled US or UK). Is there a easy way to determine a difference in the cards?

At this point her interest is in profit...though it sounds like it can get pricey to get these cards graded. A quick look on ebay, I see cards graded 8,9 or 10 selling for nearly $100 a pop...a graded 10 Adam Bomb sold for $500 recently.

#5 jason76basin

jason76basin

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:42 AM

getting anything graded as a 10 is very difficult. especially on older gpk cards due to the above reasons. the size of uk cards are considerable smaller than the u.s. cards, also the shape of the box is different. where does your friend live, if her cards are the size of traditional baseball cards it's the u.s. cards, if they are smaller they are uk cards. if she's only looking to profit, and it's the u.s. box, have her toss it up on ebay, with the remaining packs sealed.........and sell off her loose cards in 2 or 3 smaller lots. that's "if" she has u.s. cards. if she has uk cards she'd get maybe 120 at most for it all, and that's being generous. go to ebay for a reference of the uk box, there's several up there right now, but i didn't see an os1 u.s. box at the moment

#6 jason76basin

jason76basin

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:51 AM

here is an auction with the overseas gpk cards
http://www.ebay.com/...=item20c67787a4

here is the u.s. box, notice the difference in the two
http://www.ebay.com/...=item53ed523da4

#7 mca19

mca19

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 301 posts
  • Interests:Mainly Battle Beasts/Laser Beasts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:53 AM

The U.S. first series Garbage Pail Kids are 3.5″ x 2.5″ and have a die cuts. The U.S. version of the cards came with two back variations; matte and glossy. The UK 1st Series Garbage Pail Kids are smaller than the U.S. version (3.0″ x 2.1″) and are not die cut.

Measure the cards. Not sure if there is another way to find out, but I was told when I sold mine that that is the easiest way to tell.

#8 Edrixx

Edrixx

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 09:58 AM

Thanks guys...I think she has the UK version:(

I'll post again when I find out for sure.

#9 jason76basin

jason76basin

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:00 AM

if she does, she won't make a load off of it like she would if they were u.s. cards. did she pick them up at a yard sale or something?

#10 Blackrabbit

Blackrabbit

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts
  • Interests:GPK
    M.U.S.C.L.E
    Blind bags
    Nintendo Game and watch
    WWF classic
    He man
    GITD

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:47 PM

always A nice find though!

Im in the uk and I started re collecting the cards but picked up the us sets 1st. and then later my native uk sets but was shocked at how small they were.

I guess things seem bigger when you a kid lol

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com