Theme© by Fisana

Photo

Rise of the Beasts! Help us Kickstart this new toyline!

• Please log in to reply
430 replies to this topic

#301 ComradeCuttlefish

ComradeCuttlefish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:15 AM

Plus, it's my understanding that Kickstarter collects its fee after and only if full funding has been reached (5% plus 3-5% more from Amazon, total of 8-10%. In other words, with the project cancelled, theoretically ROTB will have MORE money if people buy directly. If all pledgers transfer over to direct purchases, that COULD mean the toys are 10% cheaper or you get 10% more for your purchase because now Kickstarter isn't taking that money off the top.

http://www.kickstart...utf8=✓&term=fee

Edited by ComradeCuttlefish, 14 March 2012 - 08:16 AM.

#302 walker13.1

walker13.1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4950 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:17 AM

Plus, it's my understanding that Kickstarter collects its fee after and only if full funding has been reached (5% plus 3-5% more from Amazon, total of 8-10%. In other words, with the project cancelled, theoretically ROTB will have MORE money if people buy directly. If all pledgers transfer over to direct purchases, that COULD mean the toys are 10% cheaper or you get 10% more for your purchase because now Kickstarter isn't taking that money off the top.

Exactly. If Jkaris found a way to save money for him and/or everybody, more power to him. Just as long as the free figure/sketch stipulations are met, I don't see what the big deal is.

Edited by vette88, 14 March 2012 - 08:18 AM.

#303 OmegaTraf

OmegaTraf

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:21 AM

I'm guessing many people who pledged feel the exact same way; however, before criticizing the decision you should wait until the details are released about the deal that was made.

Nothing short of free figures will change my opinion at this point.

#304 ComradeCuttlefish

ComradeCuttlefish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:24 AM

Nothing short of free figures will change my opinion at this point.

The free Gold Lion you were supposed to get for a certain pledge, or extra free figures you now want because you're annoyed?

If this were my Kickstarter and my toyline I would say "of course!" if it was the free figure you were originally entitled to. If it was something else and something extra you wanted for free because it was cancelled, I'd tell you to go eff yourself.

But, this isn't my Kickstarter or my toyline, and I didn't even pledge to begin with because I no longer even really collect, so I guess none of that matters :)

#305 OmegaTraf

OmegaTraf

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:28 AM

If this were my Kickstarter and my toyline I would say "of course!" if it was the free figure you were originally entitled to.

The deals that were described and pledged for should remain the deals offered in June at the very least.

#306 Articulationnut

Articulationnut

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1732 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:32 AM

http://www.kickstarter.com/help/search?utf8=%E2%9C%93&term=fee

Absolutely.

The pledge drive reached its funding goal. It wouldnt have been canceled unless it was to everyone's benefit. Whether that benefit is with regard to quality, distribution, price or all of the above clearly it was for a good reason and the figures are still being released so anyone jumping the gun with regard to being upset over toys should examine their priorities .
Divide & conquer works because of attachments people make to push-button issues, individual "leaders," parties, clans, tribes, policies, or agendas, leaving them open to manipulation.

#307 walker13.1

walker13.1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4950 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:34 AM

The deals that were described and pledged for should remain the deals offered in June at the very least.

As I said previously, I'm sure Jkaris has thought of that. That is a no brainer. Let's not jump to any conclusions.

Edited by vette88, 14 March 2012 - 08:36 AM.

#308 Articulationnut

Articulationnut

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1732 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:35 AM

The free Gold Lion you were supposed to get for a certain pledge, or extra free figures you now want because you're annoyed?

If this were my Kickstarter and my toyline I would say "of course!" if it was the free figure you were originally entitled to. If it was something else and something extra you wanted for free because it was cancelled, I'd tell you to go eff yourself.

Divide & conquer works because of attachments people make to push-button issues, individual "leaders," parties, clans, tribes, policies, or agendas, leaving them open to manipulation.

#309 adam16bit

adam16bit

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Interests:Laser Beasts. Battle Beasts. Beast Saga. OMFG.

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:47 AM

I agree. I think it's a no brainer that Jkaris knows that if he doesn't keep the same stipulations (free gold figure....) he'll lose a lot of customers. I'm sure Jkaris has thought of that.

Well, "free." The cost is sort of relative, I guess. The way I see it I pledged $45 for 4 painted figures (which I did want,) a gold lion (which I did want,) and 4 unpainted figures (which, being talentless, I have no use for.) If this ends up being something where I can get the gold lion (or any painted figure) without tying the purchase to 4 unpainted figures, I'll consider that a victory.

That and analyzing the numbers, this was a pretty fascinating thing to see-- 170 backers, an average of $99 or so each. I was pretty cagey talking up OMFGs until the end for various reasons, and was happy how that ultimately turned out. But I am looking forward to a good story about what happened at the end of the ROTB funding. :)

--Adam Pawlus
16bit.com and elsewhere

#310 dockingbay97

dockingbay97

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:50 AM

I am pretty bummed this project got cancelled - not that I am not happy the project got funded in some way. I do want to see these figures made.

I just like the idea of this first series being made by the sheer generosity of the fan base and knowing I was going to get those figures. I don't stalk this board as much as I would like or should so now I am frustrated knowing there is a good chance I will miss the time or where the pre-sale will be.

Happy the figures are getting made.
Not so happy about the project cancellation.

#311 Onyxiaphil

Onyxiaphil

Starcaller

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • Interests:Transformers
    Battle Beasts
    Armorvors
    Nintendo
    Everything custom
    Poutine & Bacon

Posted 14 March 2012 - 08:51 AM

I was really hoping for the original artwork from the 200$ pledge. I already had a frame ready >-<

#312 walker13.1

walker13.1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4950 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:01 AM

Why are a lot of people still thinking this project got cancelled? Go to page before this and read the link that someone received. Or better yet, I have it here for you:

---------------------------------

From Plastic Imagination:

A fantastic opportunity has presented itself that Plastic !magination simply could not refuse regarding the Rise of The Beasts line. This opportunity allows them to bring the line to market without asking the fans to make a pledge in advance and allows them far greater flexibility regarding the frequency of new characters being released. They are ecstatic about this opportunity and believe the fans will be as well.

From me:

The first figures will be here in June (the first of which will be the Golden Lion) and the rest soon after.

For those of you who have pledged at the $1100 or $1500 levels, you will still have the same opportunity down the road, after the initial product order is in and you have a chance to see the product in person.

Thank you all for your support for this Kickstarter! We will be updating you here and via the thread at LittleRubberGuys.com, thanks!

It hasn't been canceled overall. Jkaris is obviously going about it a different way. Big freaking deal. As long as the prices hold true and the stipulations hold true.

Rise of the Beasts - Series 1 (Canceled) has been canceled by the project creator. As a result, your $45.00 pledge has been automatically canceled and your credit card will not be charged. If you'd like to return to the project page, click here:

Edited by vette88, 14 March 2012 - 09:04 AM.

#313 eightystoynut

eightystoynut

Team BATTLEBEASTS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Interests:80's Action Figures and mostly BB/LB

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:06 AM

I'm glad to see this ROTB line still gonna happen but I was a little disappointed when I seen my card wasn't charged, I wanted to be apart of making this dream a reality, either way I'll be buying them regardless because I think they are incredible and I want them on my shelf, I'm sure Jon knows what he's doing.

#314 Smudge

Smudge

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts
  • Interests:design, music, books

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:08 AM

It hasn't been canceled overall. Jkaris is obviously going about it a different way. Big freaking deal. As long as the prices hold true and the stipulations hold true.

Copy-pasted from my comment on Kickstarter:

Jon, if this truly is about saving *us* money and allowing us to get the same incentives for less, then that's awesome, but please do a better job of communicating exactly what that means. As it stands, your supporters can't help but feel slighted. You claim that "no one was used," but it looks very much like this project ended up being a stepping-stone to some better "opportunity" to get these toys made. If that's not a good example of being "used" then I don't know what is, regardless of whether the outcome is awesome. It would be great if you could help resolve these conflicting statements and be more up-front about what exactly happened.

The point here is that we need better communication. Until then we're just speculating. It doesn't matter that our cards won't be charged - clearly we were okay with that or we wouldn't have supported the project.

#315 dockingbay97

dockingbay97

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:13 AM

Maybe it isn't a big deal to you but to some of us it is.

And just because you don't share some of our point of view doesn't make it less valid.

Edited by dockingbay97, 14 March 2012 - 09:19 AM.

#316 Chogokin Jawa

Chogokin Jawa

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:33 AM

I am pretty bummed this project got cancelled - not that I am not happy the project got funded in some way. I do want to see these figures made.

I just like the idea of this first series being made by the sheer generosity of the fan base and knowing I was going to get those figures. I don't stalk this board as much as I would like or should so now I am frustrated knowing there is a good chance I will miss the time or where the pre-sale will be.

Happy the figures are getting made.
Not so happy about the project cancellation.

Ditto.
I really loved the idea of supporting a small (underground) project with the idea of involvement it induced. This is why I also support the October Toy's OMFG line.
Checking everyday if the goal was reached, about to be reached, far from being reached was also part of the thing.
English being not my mothertongue language, I could sound straight but seeing that a few minutes before the deadline the project was cancelled looked harsh and I really felt upset/frustrated.

OK there is a toy company which is interested, that's good. The RotB Series 1 will come to birth. Good as well. But it has not the same taste to me. If the RotB project was so attractive, why this toy company did not show its interest sooner than a few minutes before the end? I don't get it.

Anyway, let's wait for Jon's explanations. But considering the way the Kickstarter project was cancelled I would say: the sooner the better.

#317 walker13.1

walker13.1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4950 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:51 AM

Maybe it isn't a big deal to you but to some of us it is.

And just because you don't share some of our point of view doesn't make it less valid.

Is the project still going on? Yes

Has the stipulations been changed? Jkaris has yet to announce that. I imagine they won't because he isn't a fool.

Have you lost any money? No

What am I missing that is causing the heart break? The fact that he didn't give every minute detail to why it was cancelled YET (if he does)?

Edited by vette88, 14 March 2012 - 09:58 AM.

#318 ComradeCuttlefish

ComradeCuttlefish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 09:56 AM

Has the stipulations been changed? Jkaris has yet to announce that. I imagine they won't because he isn't a fool.

What am I missing that is causing the heart break? The fact that he didn't give any minute detail to why it was cancelled YET (if he does)?

Jkaris doesn't deserve a free pass on this until his announcement of the details is made. I am sure most of the pledgers are feeling the same way people feel when an ebay auction they are bidding on gets cancelled. It's frustrating.

However..., judgement should be withheld until an announcement is made. I presume everyone will still be very happy if they are all emailed with an opportunity to purchase exactly when they originally wanted for the same price or, perhaps, even cheaper.

#319 dockingbay97

dockingbay97

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:11 AM

What am I missing that is causing the heart break? The fact that he didn't give every minute detail to why it was cancelled YET (if he does)?

Kickstarter is more than just a vehicle to raise money. It is a community based funding option with an emphasis on community. Taking the community out of it takes away some of the "specialness" out of the project and this then becomes more of standard fare. Some of use donated not just to get the the awesome toys made but also to be part of something. This now becomes just another toy I need to stalk and hope I find the pre-order for before they sell out. It just isn't the same.

I am not trying to say I am not happy they are still being made. It just loses some of pizazz and warm fuzzies.

Edited by dockingbay97, 14 March 2012 - 10:14 AM.

#320 walker13.1

walker13.1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4950 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:19 AM

Kickstarter is more than just a vehicle to raise money. It is a community based funding option with an emphasis on community. Taking the community out of it takes away some of the "specialness" out of the project and this then becomes more of standard fare. Some of use donated not just to get the the awesome toys made but also to be part of something. This now becomes just another toy I need to stalk and hope I find the pre-order for before they sell out. It just isn't the same.

I am not trying to say I am not happy they are still being made. It just loses some of pizazz and warm fuzzies.

Oh, Ok, I see what you're saying now. That does make sense. Here is another way to look at it though. Everybodys' pledges greatly influenced what ever decision was recently made, so in a sense you're start part of the community to bring this toy to life.

I agree with Cuttle that Jkaris doesn't just deserve a free pass; however, I'm not going to draw any conclusions. I do trust he knows what he is doing.

#321 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:23 AM

I just posted this to Kickstarter.

Hi guys,

Here is what happened.

I found out this morning that the factory came back late last night and said they can only do the figures at the 80mm scale which is 1/3 larger than the 60mm they promised. According to them, 60mm is just too small for them to handle. There was simply not enough time to notify everyone and give them the option of cancelling their pledge. Had this news come a week ago, an update would have gone out letting people know and the Kickstarter would have lived or died based on the 80mm size change. So really, the only option was to cancel.
That being said. The gold lion has already been paid for and is being made at 80mm instead. It will be available for free to everyone who pledged at the $45 or higher level (as promised).

The upside of this whole situation is that there are a couple other avenues that will allow the figures to be made at 60mm and sooner. Just not at this manufacturer.

I just found out about this deal breaker early this morning, P! found out late last night. So rather than take your money and hope for the best, we cancelled. There really was no other option.I hope this provides some clarification for those of you who are rightfully upset and confused. For those of you who are still pissed after reading this, all I can say is I am sorry that we hit this bump, but cancelling the Kickstarter was absolutely the right thing to do, based on the last minute info from the factory.

I will gladly take egg on my face over this hiccup, when the alternative was letting the project fund and taking a gamble with your money.

I'm sorry guys, but there really was no other way.

#322 Articulationnut

Articulationnut

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1732 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:27 AM

And there you have it .

Clearly the best interest of the community is first and foremost.

I have a feeling long time members of LRG knew this already though.

At least they SHOULD have.

#323 walker13.1

walker13.1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4950 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:42 AM

I just posted this to Kickstarter.

Cool, when do I get my toys???? :crazy:

#324 Chogokin Jawa

Chogokin Jawa

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:44 AM

Thank you for the explanation Jon, I am happy with it.
Well the Gold Lion with its 80 mm height will then be the Rise of the Godbeast figure ;-)

Edited by Chogokin Jawa, 14 March 2012 - 10:45 AM.

#325 NamaNiku

NamaNiku

FKA: uoozuman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3207 posts
  • Interests:http://nama-niku.blogspot.com/

Posted 14 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

I have known Jon for many years now, and I can say without a doubt that he has a lot if integrity. He made the right call.

This was a real tough spot to be put in. Many folks would have been upset that they pledged money to a specific scale/design, only to have it change.

Edited by uoozuman, 14 March 2012 - 10:55 AM.

Posted Image

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com