Theme© by Fisana

Photo

silver rhino helm!

Best Answer Sluglord , 22 April 2015 - 06:24 AM

That thing is super rare, it's from a series called Animax. Here's a really cool link.

http://melbirnkrant.com/animax/

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 dixiebull

dixiebull

proprietor of the gospel of Saint M.U.S.C.L.E.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Interests:Little rubber and plastic fantasy figures..M.U.S.C.L.E., MIMP, ARCO, DFC & more. Godzilla and all his "friends", vintage toys of all kinds and 80's nostalgia, GI JOE, star wars, universal monsters, tattoos, comic books, reading and art...oh and Punk rock...sweet blessed punk rock.

Posted 09 April 2015 - 09:57 PM

This is pretty awesome but I have no idea what it came from. It is soft pliant rubber...fits 3 3/4" action figures pretty good, and looks comical on little rubber fellows. No markings of any kind! I would love to find other animal themed helms of the same style if there are more out there...

Attached Files

#2 Rubberhammer

Rubberhammer

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2463 posts

Posted 10 April 2015 - 08:35 AM

Imaginext, maybe?

#3 dixiebull

dixiebull

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Interests:Little rubber and plastic fantasy figures..M.U.S.C.L.E., MIMP, ARCO, DFC & more. Godzilla and all his "friends", vintage toys of all kinds and 80's nostalgia, GI JOE, star wars, universal monsters, tattoos, comic books, reading and art...oh and Punk rock...sweet blessed punk rock.

Posted 10 April 2015 - 12:14 PM

I think it is older than that but I really have no idea...it came in a large lot of weapons and accessories I bought off ebay. Everything else in the lot was from the 80's...MOTU, Transformers, and some bootleg weapons. I assumed at first that it was for a bootleg remco or soma figure, since they made some motu knockoffs that were smaller in size...but none of these avenues are panning out. 

#4 Sluglord

Sluglord

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts
  • Interests:Trash Bag Bunch, Bad Eggz Bunch, TF G1, the cool, old stuff.

Posted 22 April 2015 - 06:24 AM   Best Answer

That thing is super rare, it's from a series called Animax. Here's a really cool link.

#5 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 3561 posts
  • Interests:Digital Media, Travel, LRGs
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 22 April 2015 - 06:45 AM

...a series called Animax

Wow! I've never heard of that line, but it looks incredible!

#6 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
  • Interests:Creepers, chompies, iszs, zombies, trashies, tikis, minions, mordles, murlocs, mushroomies, skeletons, ghosts, gremlins, goblins, gargoyles, demons, devils, dryads, plant mutants, bug mutants, fish mutants, creatures with one eye, creatures with more than two eyes, other monsters, muties, and meanies. Stormtroopers, Jawas, Toy Story aliens, Hulk, Groot, Gilman, Gormiti, Cthulhu, Swamp Thing, Toxie, Treebeard, Muckman.
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Beetlejuice and Ghostbusters minis!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:43 AM

Good job sluglord.  Very interesting site.  The guy who designed this toyline also did most of the work on the "Aaahh!!! Real Monsters!" toyline by Mattel. 

Here is a picture of Rhinox, with helm, in both his available versions.  Mel Birnkrant talks about how the carded figure made no sense without his vehicle and did not sell well.  He describes the figures as simply accessories to the vehicles, since they all have the same head, same body sculpt with only differing paint features, and overall issues with the company avoiding paint details to save mere pennies. 

Attached Files

#7 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
  • Interests:Creepers, chompies, iszs, zombies, trashies, tikis, minions, mordles, murlocs, mushroomies, skeletons, ghosts, gremlins, goblins, gargoyles, demons, devils, dryads, plant mutants, bug mutants, fish mutants, creatures with one eye, creatures with more than two eyes, other monsters, muties, and meanies. Stormtroopers, Jawas, Toy Story aliens, Hulk, Groot, Gilman, Gormiti, Cthulhu, Swamp Thing, Toxie, Treebeard, Muckman.
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 22 April 2015 - 09:49 AM

Very few pieces of this toyline are on ebay, however the Rhinox figure is one!  I think he should be reunited with his helm!  $14.99 OBO

http://www.ebay.com/...=item4ae838752a

Also, Marvel Comics did a 4 issue run based on the characters.  Get the 4-issue set here for like $7!

http://www.ebay.com/...=item51cf03adc4

Attached Files

Edited by steverotters, 22 April 2015 - 09:54 AM.

#8 dixiebull

dixiebull

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:36 AM

Amazing! Great work finding that...such a long shot. Looks like it was a really cool toy line that I will have to read up more on. I may have to snag that guy too and put the helm back upon his brow. 

#9 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:42 AM

Yeah man, go for it.  Maybe you'll come across his gun too which looks like a Rhino.  It's also interesting that Rhinox, as a name, predates the Transformer with the same name.  Look closely at the cover of the 3rd issue comic and you will see Rhinox there!

#10 Sluglord

Sluglord

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 11:49 AM

Wow! Glad to be of help! I even think 15 bucks is a really good deal. I always wanted to see one of those figures in real life, but I'm starting to think there's no chance. They're so cool, though, they would look awesome with MASK and Dino Riders and that sort of figures.

Cheers!

Edit: Oh yeah, Mel Birnkrant was also the man who came up with Trash Bag Bunch! I love reading his site, very inspirational.

Edited by Sluglord, 22 April 2015 - 11:51 AM.

#11 dixiebull

dixiebull

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:18 PM

I shot the seller an offer of 10 bucks and he accepted. Rhinox is coming home.

#12 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 22 April 2015 - 12:32 PM

That is great news!

I hope that courageous RoadTrainer ™ Rhinox ™ can protect the LiteSide ™ even without his Animax ™ Carnivaur ™ Off-Road Rhino ™!!!!!!!

Attached Files

Edited by steverotters, 22 April 2015 - 12:48 PM.

#13 dixiebull

dixiebull

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 01:14 PM

I am gonna be scouring the globe to find that off road rhino and gun to complete this guy. The complete ones look to be pretty hefty on ebay. I would love to get a few more of these. Thanks again to Sluglord for the answer to the mystery...my wallet will probably not be too grateful as you have introduced me to another awesome toy line, but my inner child is jumping up and down with glee. 

Also, thanks to Steverotters for finding the link for the figure and all the extra info as well!

Edited by dixiebull, 22 April 2015 - 01:15 PM.

#14 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 22 April 2015 - 01:33 PM

You know what you really need to track down is that BULLVERIZER!  'cause of your name!

Attached Files

Edited by steverotters, 22 April 2015 - 01:35 PM.

#15 Sluglord

Sluglord

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 01:37 PM

...my wallet will probably not be too grateful as you have introduced me to another awesome toy line, but my inner child is jumping up and down with glee. 

That's what it's all about. Money is nothing if you don't spend it.

#16 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 22 April 2015 - 02:10 PM

Sluglord, how did you know what that was?  Did Animax come to Denmark?

#17 Sluglord

Sluglord

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 22 April 2015 - 04:13 PM

Sluglord, how did you know what that was?  Did Animax come to Denmark?

I'm just a big fan of Trash Bag Bunch and therefore also Mel Birnkrant. So I read through almost all of his website with great enthusiasm. And I noted how freaking rad Animax were.

#18 dixiebull

dixiebull

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:40 PM

Whoomp there he is! Bigger than I expected. More on par with 3 3/4" figures. Now if I can only find his Rhino car....

Attached Files

#19 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 27 April 2015 - 04:47 PM

Heck yeah!  Looks like a clean figure too.  Glad we could all work together and make this union happen!

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com