53 replies to this topic

#26 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 29 September 2009 - 07:06 AM

So are you planning on alpha through zenidar? I don't know the name of the new set. That could be very exspensive.

No, definitely not going back that far. I'm not sure how far back I'll go, maybe 4-5 sets. Then I'll look for a few older sets that I'd like, such as Mirage, Weatherlight, and Tempest. I'd love a box of Urza's Saga, but $350 is too much for me.
Posted Image

#27 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 06:38 AM

Can anyone recommend a particular seller on eBay for Magic cards? Or is it pretty much safe to go with any seller with good feedback and prices?
Posted Image

#28 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 04 October 2009 - 07:39 AM

I'd trust StarCityGames. I've never had a problem with them on purchases (though UPS screwed me one time when I was selling them a rare box of Havic: The Bothering... anyone want a box of Havic for $500, sealed before UPS got it?)
Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

And you are here, with them, as so many specks of sand.

#29 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts
  • Interests:A little info on me I am a pretty big Forgotten Realms fan, I love R.A. Salvatore books. I love dragons! Lord of the Rings, Star Trek "Borgs Mostly", Battle Beasts. I love playing on the Computer, Fixing, Designing and just about everything with them. I collect Quinton Hoover Magic Cards, and artwork of him. Also some other favorite artists Greg Horn, Al Rio and Frank Cho and spending time with my wife and three daughters.

Posted 04 October 2009 - 08:27 AM

Channelfireball, chrisandron2005, prostargaming, pirate*treasure, danbock, and overtheedgegames are all that I have dealt with.

I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.

#30 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:05 PM

Does a Drowned Catacomb count as both a swamp and an island or neither?
Posted Image

#31 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:13 PM

Neither. It's a nonbasic land. That's all.

If it said "Land - Island Swamp", it'd still be nonbasic, but could be found or looked at by cards looking for things with said landtypes (such as landwalk abilities).

It also does not count as a basic land because it does not say "Basic Land - "
Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

#32 transformersontheshelf

transformersontheshelf

The Toy Store Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Interests:Toys and Games of all sorts!

Posted 12 November 2009 - 04:25 PM

Neither. It's a nonbasic land. That's all.

If it said "Land - Island Swamp", it'd still be nonbasic, but could be found or looked at by cards looking for things with said landtypes (such as landwalk abilities).

It also does not count as a basic land because it does not say "Basic Land - "

Yep: Any card that says "Search for a basic land" etc means you can only search for: the five most basic lands. Any other land outside those 5 cards is a non-basic land. Like Orgg stated some cards however can be searched for as long as they have the right land type in their description. Learning to balance basics with non basics can make or break a game. A fast red or green deck can have three creatures on the table by turn 2 and by turn 4 have you dead in the water; all because they were able to get to the right land they need.

#33 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:13 PM

My inquiry was in regards to whether having one Drowned Catacomb already in play would allow another to come into play without tapping. Apparently not.
Posted Image

#34 transformersontheshelf

transformersontheshelf

The Toy Store Guy

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 845 posts
  • Interests:Toys and Games of all sorts!

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:19 PM

My inquiry was in regards to whether having one Drowned Catacomb already in play would allow another to come into play without tapping. Apparently not.

No, it will not since it's neither a island or swamp. Sorry for misunderstanding your question.

#35 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 12 November 2009 - 05:28 PM

Sorry for misunderstanding your question.

No apology necessary. With the release of Zendikar, searching for lands is quite common these days. :)

I was going to explain why I was asking in my original post, but it kept coming out wrong so I just wrote the basic question.
Posted Image

#36 beejay

beejay

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 03 January 2010 - 03:04 AM

Edit: Though I've been meaning to ask... What is the most cost effecient way to buy MtG cards? Booster boxes, booster packs, or individually?

I joined this forum because I developed an interest in MUSCLE, but have actually been playing Magic for about 12 years.

In my experience, the most enjoyable way of playing the game is to buy boosters, then build decks around the cards you get that you actually like.

In terms of being 'cost effective', Magic is NEVER cost effective. There's a reason they call it cardboard crack. Years ago I got a Mox Diamond in a booster of Stronghold which is basically sheer profit, but, aside from that, I'm thousands of dollars in the red.
I am now SEVEN figures away from my flesh set. If you have spare fleshies for sale or trade, PM me and I will love you forever.

NEEDS LIST: http://www.littlerub...showtopic=32448

#37 shino619

shino619

SteCase King fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 03:45 PM

hey i have a quick question about editions and formats. are still legal the older cards from magic, like portal, 7th edition, etc? talking of a friendly match between friends in a non competitive scene? i would say that all my cards are older, and my deck is strategy-shizznit, but I still enjoy to play sometimes

oh and I think planeswalkers are overpowered.

Edited by shino619, 16 March 2010 - 03:47 PM.

Posted Image

Love Bomber HARMONY HARMONY oh love

#38 Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep

The Crawling Chaos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 809 posts

Posted 16 March 2010 - 05:07 PM

hey i have a quick question about editions and formats. are still legal the older cards from magic, like portal, 7th edition, etc? talking of a friendly match between friends in a non competitive scene? i would say that all my cards are older, and my deck is strategy-shizznit, but I still enjoy to play sometimes

oh and I think planeswalkers are overpowered.

Just casual you should have no problem. If you're playing another format it will depend. Standard and Extended they would not be, Vintage and Legacy likely would be fine. Check out the WOTC Banned/Restricted list for comprehensive lists for all the formats.

Oh, as an alternative to spending on cards, I recommend trying out LackeyCCG. It's software that let's you play CCGs online, including Magic. Unlike WOTC, you have every card ever made available for free. I've been playing Magic on Lackey for a while and it's a lot of fun (though it's been a couple months.)

#39 Aikola

Aikola

Main Offender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 01:43 AM

What is Asia Pacific and Guru?, I have an app on my phone and it mentions them. Damn ive totally lost track of all this Magic they even took away mana burn.
Aikola: Collecting figures that no-one else cares about since 2007.
"Punk Rock: A loud, fast and deliberately offensive style of rock music"

My Trade List
My Little Army
Aikola's Mini Boglin Colour Archive

#40 lhssenior

lhssenior

Toy Addict

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1464 posts

Posted 19 August 2012 - 08:06 AM

Alternate art versions of basic lands released through limited promotions in various regions of the globe. Nothing too fancy.

#41 Aikola

Aikola

Main Offender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 22 August 2012 - 11:39 AM

Oh O.k. Are they easy to get hold of?
Also I have a question about Infect, If I have a 1/1 with Infect and my opponent controls a 1/1 without does the -1/-1 counter kill theirs before it can do damage to my creature?

My Trade List
My Little Army

#42 Aikola

Aikola

Main Offender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 02:21 PM

Just got back from a little tournament and won 3 rounds out of 4 and came 5th out of 18 so not too bad, got a load of M13 cards as a win. Won my last match 2-0 and in under 12 minutes for both games.
Really enjoyed myself, definatley going again, was playing an infect deck but that phases out in October, anyone else playing any standard decks, if so what?

My Trade List
My Little Army

#43 lhssenior

lhssenior

Toy Addict

• 1464 posts

Posted 30 August 2012 - 05:42 PM

Oh O.k. Are they easy to get hold of?
Also I have a question about Infect, If I have a 1/1 with Infect and my opponent controls a 1/1 without does the -1/-1 counter kill theirs before it can do damage to my creature?

Unless a creature has first strike, the damage is dealt simultaneously so their creature would damage yours at the same time it receives the -1/-1 counter.

#44 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 01 September 2012 - 12:09 PM

Guru and APAC are VERY hard to get. A single swamp'll run you $150 easily for a Guru edition of it. Check Starcitygames.com to learn more by browsing their stock.

#45 Aikola

Aikola

Main Offender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 02 September 2012 - 11:11 PM

Holy cow, OK then I might give those a miss for now then, plenty to get before then.

My Trade List
My Little Army

#46 Coelocanth

Coelocanth

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts
  • Interests:...

Posted 04 September 2012 - 07:47 AM

Guru and APAC are VERY hard to get. A single swamp'll run you $150 easily for a Guru edition of it. Check Starcitygames.com to learn more by browsing their stock.

That's true of Guru, but APAC are readily available at Beta basic prices ($2-4).

#47 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 04 September 2012 - 06:24 PM

Really? That's pretty amazing considering they wern't released in the USA.

#48 lhssenior

lhssenior

Toy Addict

• 1464 posts

Posted 05 September 2012 - 03:21 PM

I don't know that any of the foreign language cards were released in the USA either and they do not seem to fetch very high values above the US versions prices. There were also several versions of APAC lands released over a much longer time interval than the Guru lands adding to the rarity and scarcity of the Gurus.

#49 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:05 AM

GURU lands were very difficult to get. You had to be one of the first 10,000 people to sign up for the Guru program (a teaching program that came from the 'Ambassador' program) and teach twenty people. If they taught fourty people, you'd get another... and so on and so forth. I lucked out and got a set, then traded them for Arena lands which I loved the look of... and the guy traded them away for a Timetwister. Then bragged about it to my face. UGGH!

#50 Bagface

Bagface

The Customs Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts
  • Interests:Anime, Manga, Reading, Boobs, Video Games, M.U.S.C.L.E men... Just a lot of geekery in general.

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:35 PM

I just got back into MtG. Its something that my wife and I are enjoying together but ive been out of the loop for a while. When i was originally in it was between 4th Ed and Mirage. I am now learning all about the new abilities and what-not and doing ok with it but there are 2 things that i just cant wrap my head around

cipher. I cant figure it out. Is it like an enchantment that is permanently on the creature, but you need to tap it to use it and it cant be disenchanted?

planeswalkers. i understand that each turn you can put a token on them and then use the abilities for however many tokens but im not really sure how to use them as they are... do you just throw them down and your opponent just treats them like another opponent?

Sorry about rezzing an old thread but i figured this would be the best place for these questions

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com