106 replies to this topic

#26 el midgetron

el midgetron

Squirrel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1401 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 03:01 PM

While we're on the subject of beer/alcohol, has anyone here tried absinthe and does it truly live up to the hype?

:unsure:

Thats a complicated question you ask with no simple or clear answer (in my opinion). There is some debate about the absinthe of today vs the absinthe the impressionists guzzled. Spain is the only place absinthe has been distilled nonstop during the past 100 years and is home to meny of the finest brands. After the EU lifted the prohibition dozens if not hundreds of brands sprung up consisting of a variety of thujone strenghts, recipes and qualities. There are even one or two thujone-free brands which are sold in the US. So it goes without saying, unless you have done your homework, you cannot expect to pick up just any bottle and expect to be drinking what Lautrec was drinking.

As I understand, a good part of the absinthe-phobia and prohibition began in response to a fellow who murdered his family while on a bender (although he wasn't only drinking absinthe). However, it was the fact the absinthe was a very inexpensive and very strong liquor which first lead to its original popularity. Today, absinthe's lore is a combination of the memories of both those who loved it and those who feared it in the late 19th century, fermented for about 100 years in the minds of those who could not drink it.

I have tried it a few times and enjoyed it but I didn't see faries or cut my ear off and send it to a prostitue or anything. I heard one argument which said absinthe's high alcohol content will cancel out the effects of the thujone after 3 or so glasses. I am not sure if I agree with that, my fuzzy memory recalls a slightly different buzz than from alcohol alone the times I drank it to excess but perhaps that was due to my expectations.

There are a couple of brands today which boast a thujone content several times higher than the average content. I haven't tried those but a guy who's opinion I certianly trust on matters of intoxication has. He said the effects were like that of a hard narcotic. However, he said the high wormwood content made it extremely bitter and hard to drink (I think he drank it straight), concluding he would rather spend the $100 price tag on hard narcotics to have the same effect (something I wouldn't recomend myself).

If anyone needs some absinthe spoons, I'm your man :lol:

I always collect and save my Celebrators though - Each bottle comes with a little white ram figure - The only beer I know of that includes anything close to a Little Rubber Guy :)

Posted Image

I remember that beer, its been so long since I have seen it around here I didn't think they made it any more.

The only other thing like the ram figure I have seen was some bottle of wine a friend had once. It had a little plastic black bull on it with white horns that you could move (as a result of its assembly, rather than purposeful articulation). I still have the bull figure but don't know the name of the wine.
Posted Image

#27 gilgar

gilgar

Supertzar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2706 posts
  • Interests:Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, NWOBHM, Punk, Hardcore, Thrash -->CDs, Albums, Videos, DVDs, MP3's, etc.

Toys, Toys, Toys especially vintage & old cars! HW (esp. redlines), Dealer Promos, SSPs, et. al., kinnikuman, SD kinkeshi, M.U.S.C.L.E., Battle Beasts, & anything else that catches my eye

Posted 19 June 2008 - 03:21 PM

Now I stick to the other hometown fav when I want a case of good cheap beer, Straub.

Do you get the recyclable bottles?

While we're on the subject of beer/alcohol, has anyone here tried absinthe and does it truly live up to the hype?

:unsure:

Yes & yes! Except I thought it tasted like shizznit because it's flavored with anise & I hate the taste of anise :) (aka black licorice--yuk!) It did have a rather hallucinatory/dreamy effect to it and you should see some of the poetry I wrote!! j/k

I ordered it from a company in the Czech Republic and they packed it super bad ass, you could shake the package and not even tell there was a liquid inside. The return address was some ladies name & address and they marked the customs as souvenir--cool.

60% alc./vol. 0,7 Liter (700 ml)

CZECH ABSINTH STRONG from Czech Absinth s.r.o. Distilleries, top of the line, that belongs in every household for various occasions, brings always a little sunshine in your life on some rainy day, will satisfy all specialty herbal alcoholic beverage lovers through its high content of more than 25 various top quality herbs, included the famous artemisia absinthium (wormwood or thujone). It is recommended to drink it in small doses for its well known hallucinogenic effects and ecstasy. In small doses it does not cause any health damage at all, on the contrary it has a healing effects, supports digestion and enjoyed in moderation works as an excellent aphrodisiac.Our principle #1 is: Stay with the mother nature and never use any kind of artificial colorings, artificial flavors, stabilizers or whatsoever chemicals.No aditivum (E102 etc.)!

Attached Files

Edited by gilgar, 19 June 2008 - 03:31 PM.

Posted Image
the slime of all my yesterdays
rots in the hollow of my skull

they will pick up snakes in their hands, and if they drink any deadly thing, it will not harm themPosted Image

#28 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts
  • Interests:A little info on me I am a pretty big Forgotten Realms fan, I love R.A. Salvatore books. I love dragons! Lord of the Rings, Star Trek "Borgs Mostly", Battle Beasts. I love playing on the Computer, Fixing, Designing and just about everything with them. I collect Quinton Hoover Magic Cards, and artwork of him. Also some other favorite artists Greg Horn, Al Rio and Frank Cho and spending time with my wife and three daughters.

Posted 19 June 2008 - 04:21 PM

hef... And not pyramid or widmer... German only.

I don't drink all that often but when the chance arises I go for these two

Löwenbräu & Spatenbräu :lol:

WhiteLeo

I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.

#29 NamaNiku

NamaNiku

FKA: uoozuman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3207 posts
  • Interests:http://nama-niku.blogspot.com/

Posted 19 June 2008 - 04:50 PM

Since we are on the subject of liquids that make the world a better place, anyone tried Kava Kava? I thought it tasted pretty wacky, but felt pretty mellow after drinking it. Totally legal and can be bought at almost any specialty food store of Polynesian market in the US.

Kava Kava
Posted Image

#30 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 19 June 2008 - 07:02 PM

I heard one argument which said absinthe's high alcohol content will cancel out the effects of the thujone after 3 or so glasses.

There's a Hemingway quote floating out there somewhere in which he suggests drinking 3 glasses of an absinthe concoction slowly. I also read that the unique buzz one gets from absinthe may be due to it possessing both stimulants and depressants.

I haven't tried those but a guy who's opinion I certianly trust on matters of intoxication has.

:lol:

Anyways, it's been on my "todo" list for awhile now. One of these days...

Edited by Soupie, 19 June 2008 - 07:04 PM.

Posted Image

#31 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

just getting into knife making.

blade of the immortal is my master.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 19 June 2008 - 07:05 PM

i never really liked beer when i was drinking. crown royal was my fave though.

my wife likes blue moon and corona with lime and salt.

EDIT: hmmm. might have to try that kava kava though uoozuman. i'm intrigued. does it taste like @$$ though?

Edited by dankingery, 19 June 2008 - 07:07 PM.

if i encounter the demons in hell, i will kill them all..

vi veri veniversum vivus vici.

#32 NamaNiku

NamaNiku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3207 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:13 PM

hmmm. might have to try that kava kava though uoozuman. i'm intrigued. does it taste like @$$ though?

Well, it is an acquired taste for sure, however I do not think I would ever crave it or anything.

Think of kind of a chalky, I just licked a potato skin with dirt on it and washed it down with some water spiked with a dash of nutmeg kind of deal....... :D

If you drink tea at all, you can kind of appreciate it in a strange way.

It is like wine for me, most people swear by it, and I cannot stand the stuff! Cheap, expensive, it all tastes like battery acid or licking tinfoil to me :ulp:

Give me a nice Porter or a Stout, and I am a happy man.
Posted Image

#33 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:36 PM

sounds like it's about as nasty as the regular rockstars. no thanks.

#34 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 10:38 PM

Guinness Drought is the ONLY beer I drink...w/ 3-4 Jägermeister shots as well!

Any of my friends/customers in Europe that want to send TGB some absinthe as an X-mas gift "souvenir," will be on my "owe ya customs" list. :ulp:

TGB

#35 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 11:28 PM

hef... And not pyramid or widmer... German only.

I don't drink all that often but when the chance arises I go for these two

Löwenbräu & Spatenbräu :ulp:

WhiteLeo

those are both good... i really like Franziskaner

#36 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 June 2008 - 06:07 AM

Bell's Oberon is my all-time favorite beer. There isn't even a close 2nd place.

But I do like beers, and it's usually the first thing I try in a new city – the local beer. I tend to like really hoppy beers – which I've found to often be ales. But I like just about everything.

And while lots of beer elitists look down on the mass produced American beers (and rightfully so) I have to admit that one of my favorite summer pastimes is to have an absolutely ice-cold Miller High Life on a hot summer day.

#37 asator

asator

Still lurking around

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1145 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 06:26 AM

And while lots of beer elitists look down on the mass produced American beers (and rightfully so) I have to admit that one of my favorite summer pastimes is to have an absolutely ice-cold Miller High Life on a hot summer day.

You know, I find it funny that people are so down on High Life but rave about Corona. 99% of the time, if you drink a Corona, its skunked. You'll never find a lightstruck bottle of High Life though. And yet High Life is held in such low regard? I guess serving Corona ice cold and with a lime is enough to fool people into thinking its still fresh.

#38 el midgetron

el midgetron

Squirrel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1401 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 06:49 AM

Yeah, Oberon is yummy. I went to the Bells brewery a few years back and didn't leave empty handed :pardon:

I also agree with you about High Life. When it comes to the mass produced stuff, it is the champaign of beers.
Posted Image

#39 el midgetron

el midgetron

Squirrel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1401 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 06:52 AM

You know, I find it funny that people are so down on High Life but rave about Corona. 99% of the time, if you drink a Corona, its skunked. You'll never find a lightstruck bottle of High Life though. And yet High Life is held in such low regard? I guess serving Corona ice cold and with a lime is enough to fool people into thinking its still fresh.

lol,

I heard somewhere that Miller was the first beer to be bottled in clear bottles. They said it was something to do with how it was brewed that made colored glass unnessicary. Not sure how true that is.
Posted Image

#40 asator

asator

Still lurking around

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1145 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 07:06 AM

lol,

I heard somewhere that Miller was the first beer to be bottled in clear bottles. They said it was something to do with how it was brewed that made colored glass unnessicary. Not sure how true that is.

High Life is brewed with a hop extract that doesn't have isohumulones, so when the light waves hit the riboflavin, they having nothing to react with and break down. In most beers, riboflavin reacting with and breaking down isohumulones produces a thoil, which is a compound that contains sulfur and hydrogen atoms and gives a skunky flavor.

I'll take off my professor cap now. :pardon:

#41 Ghost Lion

Ghost Lion

The Ghost with the most!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2489 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 08:04 AM

Big fan of Beer. Especially during a football game. Some current favorites:

All the Leinenkugal selection especially Honey Weiss and Summer Shandy
Yuegling Traditional Lager
Guinness
Smithwicks
Boddington
Anything from Great Lakes Brewery
Miller Lite
Shocktop
Blue Moon
Goose Island 312
Goose Island Summer Ale

I really like trying new stuff and micro breweries.

#42 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

Aspiring Bigman/Handshake Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:22 AM

I used to drink a ton of High Life in the summer until i hit upon how awesome Pabst is. It's a bit harder to find in bottles though.
Shove my words down your eye-holes!
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#43 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:35 AM

Miller High Life used to be my regular beer, but my brother-in-law drinks Miller Lite. After awhile of drinking Miller Lite, the High Life tasted a bit too sweet. Now Miller Lite is my beer of choice. (And I buy the 10-ounce can cases. You end up getting more beer for cheaper. :) ) However, my wife's side of the family drinks Lager (what we call Yuengling Lager here in Central Pennsylvania. Yes, I live in CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA! :lol: But my family isn't native... we're originally from Palm Beach, Florida. :pardon: ) and Miller High Life Lite.

I've drank a lot of beers over the years. Lots of micro brews and plenty of imports. But nothing, and I mean NOTHING, beats a cold bottle of Miller Lite! Once it hits your lips, it's so good!

;)

Edited by Soupie, 20 June 2008 - 10:40 AM.

Posted Image

#44 tonganbynature

tonganbynature

Average Joe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1071 posts
  • Interests:Shoot, too many to list.<br /><br />First and foremost...MY AMAZING WIFEY!!<br /><br />-Soccer<br />-Obviously a BIG TIME BEASTFORMERS collector!! <br />-NCAA Football...specifically <br /> *Boise State University<br /> *University Of Utah<br /> *Brigham Young University<br /> *University of Southern California<br /><br />-NFL -Buffalo Bills &amp; Raidernation<br />-I am a bit of a gymn junkie<br /> When I think of some more I will let ya know

Posted 20 June 2008 - 11:16 AM

Since we are on the subject of liquids that make the world a better place, anyone tried Kava Kava? I thought it tasted pretty wacky, but felt pretty mellow after drinking it. Totally legal and can be bought at almost any specialty food store of Polynesian market in the US.

Kava Kava

:pardon: :lol:

I use to Kava ALL. THE. TIME.

It's a big thing with the polynesian community, it's total cultural, kind of like the Natives and their peace pipes. :)
Posted Image

Keepin' it real, keepin' it gangsta...Keepin' it Real Gangsta.

#45 asator

asator

Still lurking around

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1145 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:01 PM

my wife's side of the family drinks Lager (what we call Yuengling Lager here in Central Pennsylvania. Yes, I live in CENTRAL PENNSYLVANIA! :lol: But my family isn't native... we're originally from Palm Beach, Florida. :pardon: )

HEY!!! I'm from central Pa! What are you trying to say?!?!?

:)

Personally, I like the Yueng, not as much as Straub, but I absolutely HATE the marketing ploy that Yuengling uses. "The only beer you can order by name. Lager" Its freaking stupid. First off, I've ordered every beer I've ever had by its name. I mean, how else are you going to order it? That part just doenst even make sense. Then to say "gimme a lager" and the barkeep knows what you mean, is rediculous because half of all beers are lagers! I mean, its like walking into a place and saying "Barkeep! Gimme an ale!"

I'm just messin with you Soups! PA PRIDE MnTHA FnCKA!

#46 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 01:14 PM

Haha, I was referring to your fine description of central Pennsylvania in you Straub concert story. :pardon:

And actually, I didn't choose the best word order in my sentence, but it's true -- at least in the Harrisburg area -- that if you walk into a bar and say lager, they'll hand you a Yuengling Lager. :lol: Now, it could be completely different in Pittsburgh, I don't know. :)

Personally, I love PA. I'm a tad biased, but I think it's the greatest state in the Union. However, being from Florida essentially, I am a bit of a fish out of water as I don't hunt, fish, drive a pickup, follow NASCAR, or shoot guns. ;)
Posted Image

#47 asator

asator

Still lurking around

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1145 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 02:05 PM

However, being from Florida essentially, I am a bit of a fish out of water as I don't hunt, fish, drive a pickup, follow NASCAR, or shoot guns. :D

You're not THAT out of the water, the only one of those I do is drive a pickup, and its not a "I'm a real man because I have a huge pickup" kind of pickup either. Its a small Nissan.

And yeah, I know how it is around that area with Lager. Its how it was in my hometown of Altoona too.

#48 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 20 June 2008 - 02:43 PM

Kava Kava

:D :lol:

It's a big thing with the polynesian community, it's total cultural, kind of like the Natives and their peace pipes. ;)

do you have to be 21 to buy it?

#49 NamaNiku

NamaNiku

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3207 posts

Posted 20 June 2008 - 04:14 PM

Kava Kava

:D :lol:

It's a big thing with the polynesian community, it's total cultural, kind of like the Natives and their peace pipes. ;)

I was pretty sure that you would know about it. I hate to say it, but I remember a few local news stories where some Tongan dudes have been picked up for DUI after sippin' some major Kava. Hope I never see your mug on TV bro ;)

BTW - are there any good places in SLC to get authentic Tongan/Polynesian grub? I know there is a pretty large Tongan community.....

I got my Kava Kava at a Polynesian market in West Valley and I did not show ID or anything.
Posted Image

#50 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 20 June 2008 - 08:53 PM

the market that is by 3500 s and redwood?

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com