6 replies to this topic

#1 SaltLakeToyJunkee

SaltLakeToyJunkee

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2205 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 01:30 PM

Alright, so what happens when you wash a custom item that has super glue used on it. Will the warm water dissolve the glue? I have a custom that I decide could use a quick wash. But I dont want to chance having it fall apart. Has anyone ever tried this? Any prefered methods to wash super glued items?

I was also wondering does super glue lose its bonding strength after time? Both in the bottle/tube and out?
I have a tube of super glue from a couple years ago. I tried using it and it seemed to not bond quickly or at full strength ;) . Do super glued items fall apart after years on the shelf?

#2 LaRata

LaRata

Skaven Painter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:WARHAMMER !!!, BRAZILIAN JIU JITSU, MIMP, STAR WARS , SAINT SEIYA , AND ALL TIME BEST BASS PLAYERS IN THE WORLD !!

Posted 07 October 2010 - 02:07 PM

Hi man theres no problem using wash in a figure glueded with super Glue , also the super glue can last a long always it was very good conserved ;) i have some bottles of super glue very very old about 5 years and still work perfect !!!
GW RLZ !!!!

#3 halfbad

halfbad

http://adamprattart.com/

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 262 posts
  • Interests:Toy figures, miniature painting, gaming, sculpting.

Posted 07 October 2010 - 02:13 PM

Superglue can become brittle over years of time, it will get crystalline eventually and brittle up, but it takes a decade or so to do this.

Water should not release the bond, but it might weaken it. Best bet is to take apart the custom, wash, and re-glue with fresh super glue.

I only use Zap a Gap, it has never done me wrong. Glue can and will lose it's accelerator over time, and not bond as well.
"Do your damnedest in an ostentatious manner all the time."
-George S. Patton

My art.

#4 LaRata

LaRata

Skaven Painter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Interests:WARHAMMER !!!, BRAZILIAN JIU JITSU, MIMP, STAR WARS , SAINT SEIYA , AND ALL TIME BEST BASS PLAYERS IN THE WORLD !!

Posted 07 October 2010 - 02:14 PM

Hi man theres no problem using wash in a figure glueded with super Glue , also the super glue can last a long always it was very good conserved ;) i have some bottles of super glue very very old about 5 years and still work perfect !!!

An by the way exist a very cool item if you need a extra firm glue , its named Activator i use the one made by Great Planes , you just need to spray the activator after glue the parts , the activator accelerate the dry of glue and let it like a stone :lol: very very firm.
GW RLZ !!!!

#5 SpectreSuperSix5

SpectreSuperSix5

I am not a number. I'm a free man

• Old Guard
  • 2598 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, M.U.S.C.L.E., Xbox 360, firearms, grilling, muscle cars, zombies, and Cartoon Network.

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:14 PM

Water acts as a quick set for super glue. I use it to affix corals to rock pieces in my salt water tank. The glue actually can "burn" the animal, but dipping it in water helps the glue set almost immediately, so they're unharmed.
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast

#6 Clawfreak

Clawfreak

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1993 posts

Posted 31 December 2010 - 08:38 PM

Alright, so what happens when you wash a custom item that has super glue used on it. Will the warm water dissolve the glue? I have a custom that I decide could use a quick wash. But I dont want to chance having it fall apart. Has anyone ever tried this? Any prefered methods to wash super glued items?

I was also wondering does super glue lose its bonding strength after time? Both in the bottle/tube and out?
I have a tube of super glue from a couple years ago. I tried using it and it seemed to not bond quickly or at full strength ;) . Do super glued items fall apart after years on the shelf?

Well I have also toyed with this too. I always have white from where the glue has hardened and wondering if glue will break over time. I say no to that but if you want to get rid of the white use vegetable oil or vaseline on it and it will disapear. Since the figures are oil based it does not hurt them and may give them a good shine. As for the warm or hot water I have never had it disolve the glue.
Jay

#7 gilgar

gilgar

Supertzar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2706 posts
  • Interests:Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, NWOBHM, Punk, Hardcore, Thrash -->CDs, Albums, Videos, DVDs, MP3's, etc.

Toys, Toys, Toys especially vintage & old cars! HW (esp. redlines), Dealer Promos, SSPs, et. al., kinnikuman, SD kinkeshi, M.U.S.C.L.E., Battle Beasts, & anything else that catches my eye

Posted 31 December 2010 - 09:42 PM

Don't forget epoxy, bonds great and holds forever as far as I can tell. It also works on all kinds of surfaces including metal.

As for super glue as others have said water shouldn't hurt it at all.

I've had super glue lose its hold on plastic models after several years but another drop or two and it's good for several more. The model glue seems to hold on forever too on model plastic but I wouldn't try it on figures, I'd go with super glue or epoxy such as JB Weld--great stuff!
Posted Image
the slime of all my yesterdays
rots in the hollow of my skull

they will pick up snakes in their hands, and if they drink any deadly thing, it will not harm themPosted Image

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com