11 replies to this topic

#1 nerzhin

nerzhin

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 24 November 2022 - 04:09 PM

hi i recently found a bunch of muscles at a thrift store and that got me back into them a little bit, but when i went back to some of my old favorite muscle sites, like university of muscle, i see they have not been updated in a very long time. does anyone know where the current muscle discussions and discoveries are being held? is the muscle scene kind of stagnant? i see some muscle auction ended recently for close to 300 dollars and there were some unusual looking figures in it, but couldnt find the usual corners where people used to hang out and discuss that stuff. any ideas? thanks

#2 nerzhin

nerzhin

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 24 November 2022 - 04:12 PM

also wondering if there was a discussion back in the day about the obvious nonposter muscles in the original mattel muscle tv ads? thanks

#3 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 25 November 2022 - 12:31 PM

There is here, although it is a bit slow these days.

If you have pics to post or questions to ask, I am sure you'll find the info you are looking for.

There are also numerous Facebook groups that talk about MUSCLE and other mini figures.

#4 nerzhin

nerzhin

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 25 November 2022 - 05:16 PM

Here is the recent auction. Looks like two customs or something? https://www.ebay.com/itm/385208580006

Not on facebook, so that might be why I am out of the loop on the MUSCLE stuff

Attached Files

Edited by nerzhin, 25 November 2022 - 05:19 PM.

#5 fisheye

fisheye

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Interests:Muscle. Marvel Comics. Marvel Trading Cards. PS4/PS5/Switch/GBA/DS/3DS gaming.

Posted 25 November 2022 - 05:44 PM

I only see one that I don't recognize in the bottom left of the first pic. It looks like how Muscle are made, but it doesn't look like any sculpt even from the original Kinnikuman keshi line. I don't see another one I don't know. But that can just be my eyes. lol

#6 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5097 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 25 November 2022 - 11:06 PM

I assume the figures in question are these two? The top one is the head of #68 on... some other body, while the the bottom is the head of #59 with the body of #11.

But then I kept looking at the lot after I edited this image and then saw the figure in the middle with the head and limbs of #138 added to #186, which was clear enough to appear to be a custom. Also makes sense as super rares shouldn't have any reason to need to be cobbled-together Frankensteined figures like this and aren't known kinkeshi or make sense to exist in the Kinnikuman fiction.

Attached Files

• Attached File  1111.jpg   187.56K   22 downloads

#7 nerzhin

nerzhin

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 10:44 AM

yes defin frankenfigures. they look well done though. the first one you mentioned i think has a double set of legs. has there been discussion of the non poster figures in the old tv ads? i am assuming they shot the ads with kinkeshi or something. thanks for the replies

#8 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5097 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 26 November 2022 - 06:26 PM

Pretty sure the consensus is that the commercial was filmed with kinkeshi, yeah.

#9 Evisceral

Evisceral

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:M.u.s.c.l.e.

Posted 26 November 2022 - 07:38 PM

Haha I remember seeing this lot, I even messaged the seller asking about them and he said they appears to be “custom” figures. There is another one bottom middle looks like a baby Terryman. Lol

#10 fuzzbuster

fuzzbuster

Yes

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 2303 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 06:07 AM

There were definitely non-M.U.S.C.L.E. Kinkeshi used in the commercials. The posed figures with raised hands really stand out:

Attached File  Capture01.PNG   897.07K   3 downloads

Attached File  Capture02.PNG   612.14K   3 downloads

The same thing happened with the Ultimate Muscle toy commercial.

It's low res but you can make out some familiar figures in there:

Attached File  Capture03.PNG   761.15K   5 downloads

#11 nerzhin

nerzhin

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 28 November 2022 - 06:10 AM

oh funny. yep the raised hands are the ones that caught my eye. we used to dump our buckets of muscles on each other to recreate the commercials

#12 timdrage

timdrage

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 December 2022 - 08:20 AM

Was wondering what happened to UoM too, I feel bad because I was supposed to reply to some interview questions for him but never got round to it :(

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com