• Please log in to reply
78 replies to this topic

#1 Personality #9

Personality #9

Suedehead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1663 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts (I migrated over from the Beastformers boards), the sciences, Baseball (Huge St. Louis Cardinals fan) and of course, women.

Posted 20 January 2005 - 11:58 AM

Hi everybody!

I thought it might be a good idea to start a community thread where we could share ideas about customs we were thinking of making.

I wouldn't consider myself an artist/sculpture, but I have a couple of personal friends who are, and with thier help, and hopfully yours, maybe us "amateur" customizers can make our customs look (at least) somewhat professional.

I'll go first:

I'm thinking of making a Custom Chimpanzee.

Here's a pic:

Now, I'm thinking the best place to start would be with the Gorilla.

Chimpanzees have protruding ears and a thinner, more protruding face than the Gorilla does, so I was think of sanding down the mouth and gluing the rat's ears to give it a more "Chimp" appearence.

Suggestions?

Edited by Artimus Prime, 31 January 2005 - 12:02 PM.

Formally known as Artimus Prime

#2 koppenschevelle

koppenschevelle

Delta Chameleon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1109 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, Beast Saga, Battle Beast minmates, Armorvors, Hot Sauce, Tea, Pearl Jam, Films, Camers, Animals, Chameleons and lizards

Posted 21 January 2005 - 11:37 PM

Hey,

Good topic idea!

As for what I am working on, I just finished up an Allosaurus, Pegasus and Dimetradon. As for future projects, I am not entirely sure although I have some ideas. I love Rays and Sharks, and basically almost all sea animals in general. On that note, I would really like to eventually make a few different sharks such as a Hammerhead shark and maybe one or two other unique sharks. I would love to do Manta Ray, and right now, I am just starting up on a Spotted Eagle Ray. I know that there is already a ray (Grin Reefer), but I think the Spotted Eagle Ray is different enough to make a custom, plus I think there will be some fun stuff done with the paint apps. Anyways, here's a pic of a spotted eagle ray:

Posted Image

I am also wanting to do a whole bunch of Dinosaur Battle Beasts. In my storyline, there is an entire side planet of Dinosaur Battle Beasts, with two distinct factions fighting for power. Occasionally the Dinosaur Battle Beasts and the Regular Battle Beasts coincide and work together. So far there is King Buster (TRex), Slag King (Pteradactyl), Tri-Horn (Godbeast's Triceratops), and my Allosaurus and Dimetrodon already. I would like to make several others including Anklysaurus, Stegasaurus and many more. Like I have said in my customs post, I would like to make an entire 26 figure series of Dino Battle Beasts, which is something I always wanted as a kid.

I am also planning on making several fantasy inspired Battle Beasts, even including many different styles of Dragons from different cultures from around the world. I was also thinking about a Unicorn, and several others that right now I can't think of.

Other than that right now, I am not sure what I am going to make. I think I am going to concentrate on the above three catergories for now: Sharks/Rays, Dinosaurs and Fantasy/Dragons.

As for any tips that I might give to other customizers, well, I don't think I have been doing it long enough to have the experience to really make any suggestions right now. Godbeast is a well of knowledge. I can reccomend however to use Water Based Acrylic Paints, Enamels suck! Marty also clued me on using Krylon Matte spray as an overcoat, but make sure to do even, thin coats from 12 inches away. If not, it gets tacky. I would also reccomend constantly scouring the toy aisles at stores to see other toys that might work to kitbash into a certain custom. I find that is how I get some inspiration as to what to get next. Well, that is what I have for now, as I get working more on my Eagle Ray, I will post more tips as I get to them, and also let you all know of my progress.

Eric

#3 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 06:54 AM

I would agree with Eric, hunt done little figures/pvc animals to use for parts...because that is what kitbashing is all about!!! In fact, if you are not a big sculptor, why mess around and get frustrated...find yourself a "Chimp" head off a little PVC toy (like at zoos, discovery toy stores, smart kid toy stores, novelty stores, thrift stores, etc..) and use that!

On the topic of what Eric is interested in. I was always thinking a Nautalis would ROCK!!!

Here is another tip...from the "well of knowledge" (he! He! hE! thanks Eric!)...

Use "Bondini" super glue! It is my favorite to use on all my stuff! You used to be able to find it at Walmart, now I can only find it at Target.

TGB

#4 Gaara

Gaara

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 07:37 AM

I was always thinking a Nautalis would ROCK!!!

:D Damn, what a nice idea! :(

A Nautilus would be so extremely COOL!!!
Maybe I should try to do my own customs...
I have to take a look at my old toys! *running*
Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

#5 Gaara

Gaara

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 22 January 2005 - 05:11 PM

...soooo sad! :(

Any ideas where I can find a nautilus fig that has a BB scale?
I searched my old toys, even went to three different stores today... NOTHING! :D

Maybe the shell of this creepy pokemon with some additions to make it look more... scary! :(

Edited by Gaara, 22 January 2005 - 05:17 PM.

Never argue with idiots. They drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.

#6 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 24 January 2005 - 12:32 AM

...soooo sad! :(

Any ideas where I can find a nautilus fig that has a BB scale?
I searched my old toys, even went to three different stores today... NOTHING!

Maybe the shell of this creepy pokemon with some additions to make it look more... scary!

NO PUKEMON!!! :unsure: :( :lol:

Have you tried an "Educational Toy Store?" Try Ebay? Try maybe a real shell? I have seen some SUPER tiny ones before that look that style! Try Ebay USA, maybe under "sea creature toys?"

I hope you find one so I can see your awesome creation!!!

Good Luck!

TGB

#7 lazzy lizard

lazzy lizard

fiznucking chillin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Interests:love to collect all sorts of stuff mainly star wars(new & old), motu (new & old), glyos, beastformers, godzilla, and some 80's cartoons and tv show characters. love making customs too!

Posted 24 January 2005 - 06:18 AM

try the museums and zoo's in your areas they tend to have pouches of different types of toy animals fairly cheap. thast where i got my parts from when my kids went on a feild trip to the shedd aquairium& oceanarium.

gabe =)
AIN'T NO PARTY LIKE A BATTLE BEASTS PARTY CAUSE A BATTLE BEAST PARTY DON'T STOP!!!

VISIT MY CUSTOMS GALLERY>> http://www.littlerub...showtopic=17082

#8 koppenschevelle

koppenschevelle

Delta Chameleon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1109 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, Beast Saga, Battle Beast minmates, Armorvors, Hot Sauce, Tea, Pearl Jam, Films, Camers, Animals, Chameleons and lizards

Posted 24 January 2005 - 12:47 PM

If you are looking for pieces, there are quite a bit in craft stores and educations stores like Hobby Lobby. I would give those a try.

On a side note, the Spotted Eagle Ray that I said that I wanted to start I actually just finished up the sculpt for, except for a few small parts I have to smoothen out the joints for. Then I just have to paint the thing. I tried a few different things on it with various results, I am not sure exactly how it will actually work out in the end, but it was worth a try. I have a real interesting paint scheme in my head right now for him as well. I won't be able to get to painting it for a little while, but I should have pictures of it up sometime in mid-Febuary. Next, I would like to do an interesting Dragon one, but I have run out of bodies to use as customs except for a bear that I haven't decided to use.

Well, that is what I have for now.

Eric

#9 Personality #9

Personality #9

Suedehead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1663 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts (I migrated over from the Beastformers boards), the sciences, Baseball (Huge St. Louis Cardinals fan) and of course, women.

Posted 28 January 2005 - 12:14 PM

You guys ROCK! Several of the suggestions you guys posted for getting parts for customs I would have never thought of!

Latley I've been going to the local Swap Meet with hopes of finding some junk that might actually work. Well, obviously I've found nothing there but now I'm gonna check out some of those suggestions!

#10 Yom

Yom

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 11:54 AM

I would like to know the easiest, cheapest and best way to make mold of battle beasts, and duplicate them (nothing to sculpt, just take a BB and make a mold to make more of it).
Which stuff to use ? Which material ?

(and if you could use the most clear words to help me understand it better :rolleyes: , remember I'm french...)

Thanks B)

Edited by Yom, 31 January 2005 - 11:58 AM.

Ready for battle
Posted Image

#11 Personality #9

Personality #9

Suedehead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1663 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 11:56 AM

...help me understand better :rolleyes: , remember I'm french...)

Thanks B)

It's okay, we'll forgive you for it! :D B) :D

#12 lazzy lizard

lazzy lizard

fiznucking chillin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts
  • Interests:love to collect all sorts of stuff mainly star wars(new & old), motu (new & old), glyos, beastformers, godzilla, and some 80's cartoons and tv show characters. love making customs too!

Posted 08 February 2005 - 08:34 AM

what types of paint are most of the guys here using?

i for one use apple barrel, testors & model masters paints in flat, semi gloss, gloss finishes.

a broader idea of the other types of paint would be great for those of us that want to try new stuff or start doing customs.

gabe =)
AIN'T NO PARTY LIKE A BATTLE BEASTS PARTY CAUSE A BATTLE BEAST PARTY DON'T STOP!!!

#13 koppenschevelle

koppenschevelle

Delta Chameleon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1109 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 09:45 AM

I used all Waterbased Acrylic paints. I used to use Enamel's awhile back for other things, but I always found the paint to be too thick and tacky, so I have switched just to Acrylic. Mainly I used Apple Barrel, Folk Art and Delta Ceramcoat. The Delta Ceramcoat is probably my least favorite as sometimes it can be a bit too thick as well, so I always have to thin it down. The Apple Barrel and Folk Art have always worked pretty well.

Eric

#14 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 08 February 2005 - 10:29 AM

Eric is right on track...

That is what I use as well...I also use "Basics" as well...I stick to the matte/flat, because too much shine bugs... You can get a little shine from just using a sealer.

I have NEVER used enamel/model paint...that stuff sucks!

TGB

#15 lazzy lizard

lazzy lizard

fiznucking chillin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts

Posted 12 February 2005 - 07:22 AM

I'm thinking of making a Custom Chimpanzee.

Here's a pic:

i just got my copy of the headmasters episode w/ the battle beasts mixed in, and i saw a chimp kid in armor running around helping the autobots. i will have to try to locate a toy from the zoo or something and get to work on him as he looked very cool in his get up.

gabe =)

#16 grimerslimer

grimerslimer

Crazy Bugger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 05:40 AM

Any Crazy Chimp yet Arthur?????

I have a few monkey heads that I'm considering using, they look much more chimpish than the gorilla...........

I'm gonna do the whole chimp family from the cartoon. :D

grimey ;)
Check out Paranormal Misadventures on Youtube

#17 lazzy lizard

lazzy lizard

fiznucking chillin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 08:34 AM

sweet! make sure you post as the progress goes on. i should be able to work on my Ruhin fig today too since i have time to spare.

=)

#18 grimerslimer

grimerslimer

Crazy Bugger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 06:37 PM

i should be able to work on my Ruhin fig today too since i have time to spare.

=)

:p I got a figure and started some molding in the head area for my Ruhin, got all the molding done, but when I baked it the figure melted! ;) What a waste of a couple of hours and a perfectly good figure! :D

Oh well, back to the drawing board.....it turns out I found another figure at Wal Mart that will work better...it's on clearance so I'm waiting for the price to drop. ;)

I can't wait to see some pics you punk!!!!!!

grimey

#19 lazzy lizard

lazzy lizard

fiznucking chillin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2248 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 05:27 AM

i can't believe you stuck a plastic fig in the oven. i find that the easier way to cure sculpey is to boil the figure instead just find a big enough bowl or pot to do it in, and if that doesn't work the bathtub is your next best bet. ;) what fig are you using as the base? i used a giant sized incredible hulk fig that i got on clearance from kb toys for mine.

=)

#20 silentrob

silentrob

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 05:31 PM

Here's an easy one for all you pros out there. I just finished my first custom and I was wondering about a sealant to protect the figure. What type/brand etc do you guys feel works best?

Thanks!

#21 koppenschevelle

koppenschevelle

Delta Chameleon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1109 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 05:44 PM

I know different people use different sealants for their paint jobs and customs. Personally, I like a real flat look to the figure when they are done. I tend to shade and highlight a lot, so a glossy look never looks right for me. Anyways, I have always had great results using Testor's Flat Topcoat (in a small spray can). It works great for me, and never dries tacky.

Eric

#22 Personality #9

Personality #9

Suedehead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1663 posts

Posted 06 June 2006 - 06:51 PM

Any Crazy Chimp yet Arthur?????

Na, I haven't found a toy chimpanzee that would fit into a BB mold of anykind. The closest I've come was a toy chimp at a local store, but the facial features were lacking.

#23 grimerslimer

grimerslimer

Crazy Bugger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 05:51 AM

I feel your pain, I've looked forever for one that would actually work good, the ones I found are good for the parents, but I want a younger look for the little chimp! ;)

what fig are you using as the base? i used a giant sized incredible hulk fig that i got on clearance from kb toys for mine.

I was going to use a Swamp Thing figure.....It looked AWESOME, but of course it melted into a puddle of ooooooze now! :blink:

I usually bake the sculpy on the BB figs in the oven, I just use a low temp for a few minutes at a time and have never had a problem....I guess the Swamp Thing just couldn't handle it!

grimey

#24 Giga Leo

Giga Leo

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 June 2006 - 05:37 PM

I feel your pain, I've looked forever for one that would actually work good, the ones I found are good for the parents, but I want a younger look for the little chimp! ;)

what fig are you using as the base? i used a giant sized incredible hulk fig that i got on clearance from kb toys for mine.

I was going to use a Swamp Thing figure.....It looked AWESOME, but of course it melted into a puddle of ooooooze now! :blink:

I usually bake the sculpy on the BB figs in the oven, I just use a low temp for a few minutes at a time and have never had a problem....I guess the Swamp Thing just couldn't handle it!

grimey

Have you tried using a blow drier to cook your scultpy? When I do He-Man customs I usually prop one up and let it sit for a few minutes, that way I don't have to worry about the plastic melting (well, except that one time I fell asleep ;) )

"Sure, why not?"

gigabanner.jpg
Gigaleo (a.k.a Tigerburn)
Homepage, Gigaleo.com
Deviant Art Account

#25 grimerslimer

grimerslimer

Crazy Bugger

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1233 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 12:47 PM

(well, except that one time I fell asleep ;) )

;) I used to, till I tried baking it on a fig once and it worked SO much better.... I didn't even consider the fact that the Swamp Thing fig, which is harder plastic, would melt at the same temp....... :blink:

Oh well, I guess I learned something new.....

By the way, I used Humbrol sealer, they have gloss and matt, which is cool because you can have matt skin and shiny armor if you want...just don't get the "clear" one, it dries tacky. :lol:

grimey

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com