Theme© by Fisana

Photo

Anyone seen this freaky little blue beast?

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 jack cambrian

jack cambrian

godless biologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:Music, Science, Religion, Scrabble, Monster In My Pocket, Battle Beasts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 05:29 PM

I got this beast from an op-shop today for 10c. Just curious as to what this guy is supposed to be! He seemed to be associated with some pretty standard looking dinosaur figures, but this guy ain't a dinosaur. I just bought him cause I think he looks supercool whatever the hell he is.
Posted Image

Edited by jack cambrian, 11 October 2008 - 01:01 AM.

#2 mrjayberry

mrjayberry

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 07:36 PM

Its a Bulette
http://www.bogleech..../scraprust.html

There you go from LRG friend Scythemantis, excellent website for all sorts of creepy toys and more.

#3 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 09 October 2008 - 07:44 PM

Yep, that's exactly what I was going to link to, once I found the thread, heh.

The creature now known as a Bulette was just another in a generic "dinosaur" toy from China. It's a mold that doesn't really see use today for some odd reason. Been a couple years since I've seen one in a store, I think. But I do have a brown version that matches one I used to have during my childhood, as well as the one pictured on the site. Funny little bugger.

#4 jack cambrian

jack cambrian

godless biologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:Music, Science, Religion, Scrabble, Monster In My Pocket, Battle Beasts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 07:59 PM

You guys rock. Thanks for the info - interesting story about Gygax stealing the creatures from cheap plastic dinosaur toys. I reckon I've seen that 'rust monster' around too. Anyway, my wee bulette is going to look badarse sitting on the dash of my car (riding shotgun next to a handless Bib Fortuna bend'em figure).

#5 asator

asator

Still lurking around

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1145 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 08:01 PM

As a huge D&D nerd I knew that was a Landshark as soon as I saw it.

Could someone tell me if thats's awesome, or just sad? :o

As for Gygax "stealing" the figures, I look at it like this, if he hadnt named them and fleshed out a story to go along with the creatures, they would just be some nameless, unextraordinay, unknown, pieces of plastic. I like to think that he gave those figures a life and reputation they could be proud of. ^_^

Edited by asator, 09 October 2008 - 08:10 PM.

#6 Airot

Airot

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 545 posts
  • Interests:In no particular order, these are the things I collect;
    Monster in my Pocket (Both original the modern)
    Gamoja
    Fistful of Power
    Monster Connectors
    Gormiti
    Boglins
    Plasma Creatures
    Dinosaurs
    Mighty Max
    HorrorClix

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:13 PM

I used to have one of those in yellow with green paint. He's probably still kicking around someplace... and now I'm determined to find him!

I never knew anything about him being a bulette though, I just thought he was a weird imaginary dinosaur, lol.
I'll give you this strawberry if you keep it a secret.

#7 jack cambrian

jack cambrian

godless biologist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 329 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 09:51 PM

As for Gygax "stealing" the figures, I look at it like this, if he hadnt named them and fleshed out a story to go along with the creatures, they would just be some nameless, unextraordinay, unknown, pieces of plastic. I like to think that he gave those figures a life and reputation they could be proud of. :o

I didn't mean any necessarily negative connotations in the word 'stealing'. I love the strange way that these generic figures have become a real entity in people's minds. I looked up 'Bulette' on google image search and all these badarse, detailed interpretations came up. It's completely in reverse to the normal way of the world - instead of a sophisticated, multifaceted creature being turned into a cheap plastic simulacra, they've taken the cheap plastic toy and turned it into a sophisticated, multifaceted creature. It's deep man.

#8 scythemantis

scythemantis

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 09 October 2008 - 11:09 PM

Interestingly, Gygax said in some interview that D&D's single most iconic monster, the Beholder, was ALSO inspired by a generic toy, but I've never seen anything like one.

#9 TwoHeadedBoy

TwoHeadedBoy

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • Interests:Monster In My Pocket, Thingz That Go Bump In The Night, Mighty Max, TMNT, Boglins, cheap and nasty monsters of any sort...

Posted 10 October 2008 - 06:27 AM

My one's grey with green splodges, and he's currently doing something unmentionable to April O'Neil.
Sorry.

My comics blog - mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s
Collection Piccies!
Identify these toys?

WANT/NEED! Warmonger (from Mighty Max's Skull Mountain), will trade for Alien Magic!

#10 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

just getting into knife making.

blade of the immortal is my master.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 10 October 2008 - 02:20 PM

Interestingly, Gygax said in some interview that D&D's single most iconic monster, the Beholder, was ALSO inspired by a generic toy, but I've never seen anything like one.

i don't have nearly enough beholder toys. i'm a sucker for anything with lots of eyes and beholders have eyes in spades.

if i encounter the demons in hell, i will kill them all..

vi veri veniversum vivus vici.

#11 scythemantis

scythemantis

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 16 October 2008 - 11:34 AM

Are there any Beholder "toys" other than the D&D miniatures??

My one's grey with green splodges, and he's currently doing something unmentionable to April O'Neil.
Sorry.

My brood figure is going to be really pissed to find out she's been two-timing.

#12 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 16 October 2008 - 03:36 PM

here's the beholder toy i've found so far. other than the d&d miniatures it's pretty slim pickin's.

plush beholder.

Edited by dankingery, 16 October 2008 - 03:38 PM.

#13 TwoHeadedBoy

TwoHeadedBoy

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • Interests:Monster In My Pocket, Thingz That Go Bump In The Night, Mighty Max, TMNT, Boglins, cheap and nasty monsters of any sort...

Posted 16 October 2008 - 03:41 PM

Wow, I want a plush beholder. Xmas is on it's way, and I've cancelled my eBay and PayPal accounts, so I'll have to ask for it from someone.
Scythemantis, I know you've moved around a lot recently, but I can't see April anywhere in your "horrible home" gallery. Where did you get that Bosch bird/helmet thingy?

Collection Piccies!
Identify these toys?

WANT/NEED! Warmonger (from Mighty Max's Skull Mountain), will trade for Alien Magic!

#14 scythemantis

scythemantis

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 09:57 AM

Here with many others: http://www.talariaen...rthly-deli.html

In the old photos April should be fairly visible riding a Brood :hmmm:

#15 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 19 October 2008 - 11:13 AM

cool link. thanks scythemantis.

#16 TwoHeadedBoy

TwoHeadedBoy

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 12:17 PM

Ah yes, I see her. I should wish to get a treeman someday perhaps.
Now then, in the picture of the horror shelf, what - in the realms of "what the hell?" - is that yellow vagina monster thing with the long neck and a little head at the top?
And, the big thing behind it with lots of teeth? And that big bulbous white thing next to that? And the tentacled-egg thing with a little hat on? And the brain-in-a-jar with arms and legs? Not Mutagen Man, the one down front. And that green thing that's eating spandex-wearing being?

Various questions, with answers to be had.

Collection Piccies!
Identify these toys?

#17 scythemantis

scythemantis

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 19 October 2008 - 03:42 PM

1 - bendable Otyugh from Dungeons and Dragons. This particular monster is an actual D&D original. Also, it lives in poo, like in giant heaps of dragon manure. Sadly it did not appear in the cheesy cartoon series.

2 - William Birkin from Resident Evil. He goes through lots of weird mutations. The multi-toothed form is his second to last, but no figure was every made of the very last, perhaps because it's just a mountain of slime and guts (I'd have bought one anyway)

3 - a Flood Carrier from the Halo games. I've never played the series, but I had to have this figure of what is essentially a human corpse transformed into a giant spore-sac by an alien parasite.

4 - "Lumpity Grumpity" from a line of Grimm's Fairy Tale/Nursery Rhyme themed Tech Deck dudes.

5 - a great little Stretch Screamers Mcdonald's toy. When you press the button on its chest, a jet of water flings the brain around.

6 - another Resident Evil monster, the "Ivy," a walking plant. It's eating the human figure it came with, who used to have a red fabric dress that sort of snapped off. I bought the two-pack only for the monster, anyway. It has a button to open and close its three-petaled mouth (like a Dune Sandworm). It's a nicely seamless action feature as the mouth consists of a soft rubber skin over a frame. Its arms are bendy!

Edited by scythemantis, 19 October 2008 - 03:47 PM.

#18 TwoHeadedBoy

TwoHeadedBoy

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts

Posted 20 October 2008 - 01:55 PM

Well thanks for that information. You always find the best things - do you just put "monster" or "tentacles" or something into eBay and Google all the time? I've tried it on eBay a few times, but never found anything too interesting.

Have a look for pictures of kangaroo embryos, they look a lot like your Mort creature thingies.

Collection Piccies!
Identify these toys?

#19 scythemantis

scythemantis

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 331 posts

Posted 21 October 2008 - 11:21 AM

Believe it or not the vast majority of what I own came straight from stores (I got a LOT of toys when I was a kid, and have never stopped appreciating any of them) or at least flea markets...when it comes to ebay I usually knew just what I was looking for already :lol:

I've had a lot of luck just searching "rubber monsters" or "rubber creatures" in the past though.

Edited by scythemantis, 21 October 2008 - 11:22 AM.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com