• Please log in to reply
90 replies to this topic

#1 fuzzbuster

fuzzbuster

Yes

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 2303 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 10:33 AM

I have collected many things for many years, but my largest collection by far is comprised of, for lack of a better term, audio and visual data. At home, our televisions and computers are all linked into a 6TB+ database which houses our ever expanding library of music, television, film, text, cbrs, video games, digital images, and anything else we may find intriguing.

As a datahound, I have had fairly good luck over the years sniffing out and hunting down alot of the bits of media I have sought after, but, as I am sure many collectors can relate to, there are always those few pieces of the puzzle that remain elusive.

Currently, I am trying in vain to search for a film that I know exists, but the main problem is that I have no idea what it's title is. It was something I saw on HBO in the late 80's, back when they would show all kinds of weird stuff between 12-5 AM. That was when they would show all the experimental, foreign, or otherwise low-budget stuff that they had license to show, but would not put on during the day.
Since it was also customary for HBO to show the same pieces nearly every night for months at a time, I managed to see this particular film probably more than 20 times over the course of a summer's worth of sleepless nights.

Suffice it to say, without knowing the title, it is proving hard for me to locate. All I have to go on are the vague memories of the film, which I posted on a film-related message board:

Two guys are involved in some type of action-packed adventure in a vast underground sewer system. I cannot recall the nature of their mission, only that it involves continual face-offs with a gang of 80s-futuristic subterrainian badasses.
Also, this sub-surface world is populated by various types of interesting freaky people, most notably a closed circuit radio DJ who broadcasts seemingly 24/7 from a centralized sewer location. In my mind, I always equated him with the Hollywood character from the film Mannequin.

One of the few other impressions I have left of this film involves the final scene: After the heroes have saved the day somehow and stand once again on the surface world, one says to the the other something about how they can finally resume their normal lives. The other, in response, looks back in the direction of the hole he just emerged from, where we see a group of underworld dwellers that had aided them in their quest. Among them stands a large, extremely muscle-bound beefcake of a woman, who winks and smiles at our second hero.
This main character, of which it was established quite early in the film is a horndog attracted to anything even remotely classified as female, turns back to his friend and indicates that he has found something better in the underground world.

I know it's a long shot that anybody out there may recognize the obscure movie I am looking for, based soley on my scattered description, but it doesn't hurt my cause to throw out the net!
If anyone has any guess as to what the name of this film was, I would love to hear it.

#2 stoneyface

stoneyface

cthulhu cultist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2707 posts
  • Interests:muscle, satan cross!, cthulhu, vintage toys, biking, camping, burner community, deep house and psytrance raves.

Posted 23 September 2010 - 02:55 PM

max headroom?

Want a window into my demented mind? toys, movies, cool stuff around the world @ http://cthuluconnect.blogspot.com/

DMT= insert universe into cannon, aim at brain, fire.

ユデッキー - Yudekkii are you one? サタンクロス æ°¸é ã«!(satan cross forever!)
é¢ç™½ã„! happysmoke.gif

#3 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 03:06 PM

Sounds almost like the Warriors:
http://en.wikipedia....Warriors_(film)
meet CHUD!

#4 fuzzbuster

fuzzbuster

Yes

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 2303 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 03:37 PM

It's definitely not Max Headroom. I have always known who he is, haha!
In fact, I have the complete series, movie, some Pepsi TV spots, and the music video for the Art of Noise song featuring Max.
I do wish I still had the Max Headroom hand puppet I had in the 80's. That thing was sweet!

Definitely not The Warriors or either of the C.H.U.D. movies, as those are also well known to me.

Other suggestions I have gotten were for Underworld (akaTransmutations,) Seksmija, Alien From L.A., and Journey to the Center of the Earth.
All fine specimens in their own right, yet all have been ruled out.

What I am looking for is a typical 80's crapfest. You know the type: gunfire, explosions, freaky people that look like they came from the gang in Deathwish 3, and putting the need to get laid above most everything else.
And it all takes place in a sewer system, possibly beneath L.A.

I started to think about this movie earlier this week, when I stumbled across another forgotten gem of the 80's, Dudes. I recommend watching it, if only to see Flea get shot in the head!

Edited by fuzzbuster, 23 September 2010 - 03:39 PM.

#5 Apricot

Apricot

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Interests:painting, music, film, cream cheese

Posted 23 September 2010 - 03:41 PM

i got some movie geeks on the case for you as well on another forum

#6 Merovingian

Merovingian

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E. & NKE 6.0 Mutants

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:14 PM

Not "Nightbreed" was it?
~ Merovingian ~
http://www.littlerubberguys.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30320&view=findpost&p=264442

#7 fuzzbuster

fuzzbuster

Yes

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 2303 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:19 PM

No, not Nightbreed, but that is another total classic from that era.

The one I am looking for had far less production value, haha!

#8 NamaNiku

NamaNiku

FKA: uoozuman

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3207 posts
  • Interests:http://nama-niku.blogspot.com/

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:42 PM

CHUD - lol that movie scared the crap out of me when I was a kid.

Here are a few stabs in the dark:

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai :lol:
Hell Comes to Frogtown :friends:
Turkish Mad Max (okay I made that one up)
Posted Image

#9 stoneyface

stoneyface

cthulhu cultist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2707 posts
  • Interests:muscle, satan cross!, cthulhu, vintage toys, biking, camping, burner community, deep house and psytrance raves.

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:29 PM

i know it's not buckaroo banzai.

Want a window into my demented mind? toys, movies, cool stuff around the world @ http://cthuluconnect.blogspot.com/

é¢ç™½ã„! happysmoke.gif

#10 OmegaTraf

OmegaTraf

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 695 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 08:51 PM

what was the above ground situation? Were these people just shunned? oppressed? Or was the above ground situation apocalyptic etc?

#11 imperfecz

imperfecz

Götter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4302 posts
  • Interests:stuff n stuff

Posted 23 September 2010 - 09:32 PM

if I remember right.... Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles had something to do with sewers?

#12 89cpe

89cpe

sweep the leg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1510 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 11:41 PM

its not that one where they have to travel in a truck that blocks the sun and they have a solar flash and have to pull the water latch to keep themselves from frying is it? and then theres some lame ass badguys chasing them. ???? i forget what thats called but i have it so if thats it i can easily look it up. i think the one bad guy in total recall is in it. except hes a good guy in this

#13 fuzzbuster

fuzzbuster

Yes

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 2303 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:03 AM

what was the above ground situation? Were these people just shunned? oppressed? Or was the above ground situation apocalyptic etc?

As far as I can remember, the surface world was totally normal. It was once they entered the sewer system that things got weird, and more than 90% of the film is spent in the sewers.
Also, I should note that the freaky people populating the underground world are not mutants, just like a mix of homeless weirdos and steroid freaks.

As far as Turkish films go, I would not be surprised if there is a version of Mad Max from there, as there is a history of western film being remade by Turks. Turkish Star Wars is one of the many examples I have personally seen of this.

its not that one where they have to travel in a truck that blocks the sun and they have a solar flash and have to pull the water latch to keep themselves from frying is it? and then theres some lame ass badguys chasing them. ???? i forget what thats called but i have it so if thats it i can easily look it up. i think the one bad guy in total recall is in it. except hes a good guy in this

No, that doesn't sound right either. The heroes of this film are definitely traveling on foot through a vast underground sewer system.

And they are not Turtles, haha!

#14 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 03:47 AM

Might this be Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere? Very low-budget, though the end doesn't sound familiar, the rest of the description fits.
Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

And you are here, with them, as so many specks of sand.

#15 fuzzbuster

fuzzbuster

Yes

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 2303 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 04:38 AM

Might this be Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere? Very low-budget, though the end doesn't sound familiar, the rest of the description fits.

No, Neverwhere was a miniseries from the UK, made in 1996.

The thing I can't remember the name of is a feature length film from the US, and had to be made by 1990-1 at the very latest. I have the impression that it was probably made around 1988, though I cannot remember the exact year I saw it.

#16 89cpe

89cpe

sweep the leg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1510 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:18 AM

Are you talking about flea from the chili peppers?

#17 fuzzbuster

fuzzbuster

Yes

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 2303 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:25 AM

Are you talking about flea from the chili peppers?

One and the same! Dudes was his second film. His first film appearance was in 1983, in which he plays a minor role in Suburbia, which is actually a pretty decent punk rock b-movie.

#18 89cpe

89cpe

sweep the leg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1510 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:33 AM

So its not on imdb. That means it doesnt exsist haha

#19 fuzzbuster

fuzzbuster

Yes

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 2303 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:40 AM

So its not on imdb. That means it doesnt exsist haha

How do you know it is not listed? Do you know the name?

IMDB has literally hundreds of thousands of entries for films alone. Without knowing the name of the film, any of the actors or crew, or the production company that made it, it is kind of hard to locate.
I have also tried keyword searches, and have found alot of stuff that way, just nothing that has turned out to be this particular obscure film.

#20 89cpe

89cpe

sweep the leg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1510 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 05:57 AM

No i was just joking. But this made me think of fortress. Not the movie ur thinking of but its great lol

#21 89cpe

89cpe

sweep the leg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1510 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:01 AM

Go on imdb and search michael ironside. He was in all the worst movies so maybe youll get lucky

#22 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 24 September 2010 - 11:33 AM

Well, I did a few IMDB searches last night. Alot of the obscure movies out there don't even have details posted for them. So keyword searches are going to usually bring up popular cult classics at the least. One of my searches consisted of searching for full length films of the action genre (since most scifi/horror flicks are also action) made from 1979 to 1990.

It's hard to tell where to start when you get over 1000 hits. I did see some that had similar plots... such as 2 guys, crazy gangs, with possibly a sewer involved. However I decided that they couldn't be it. "Scared to Death"(1981), Twice Under, and Urban Warriors. I didn't finish skimming the list however. As I organized it by rating score...so by the time I got to movies with at least a 5, I figured it couldn't possibly be in my list. :lol:

Posted Image

#23 stoneyface

stoneyface

cthulhu cultist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2707 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:32 PM

it wasn't "subhumina" was it? that is one F'ed up movie and was sewer related

é¢ç™½ã„! happysmoke.gif

#24 fuzzbuster

fuzzbuster

Yes

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 2303 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:52 PM

it wasn't "subhumina" was it? that is one F'ed up movie and was sewer related

Hmm, I think you are referring to Subhumanos, which is the Spanish title for the film Raw Meat. It being set in the UK, and having a release date of 1972, that could not be it, though it looks intriguing enough for me to assimilate it into my collective! I shall definitely be watching that in the next 24 hours.

As I organized it by rating score...so by the time I got to movies with at least a 5, I figured it couldn't possibly be in my list. Posted Image

You are describing about 95% of the films I am proud to have in my collection, haha!
IMDB's bottom 100 list often highlights alot of stuff I recognize.

#25 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 25 September 2010 - 09:10 AM

No kidding fuzz. Some of my favorite films were the ones that used to have dust on them at the video store. :D

Hope you figure it out. If you remember any other details let us know.

Posted Image

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com