Thanks in advance for the info

Attached Files

#2 fisheye

fisheye

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Interests:Muscle. Marvel Comics. Marvel Trading Cards. PS4/PS5/Switch/GBA/DS/3DS gaming.

Posted 29 April 2021 - 06:14 PM

Looks like a blank of a repo King/Stone Cobra. 

#3 Beastformers

Beastformers

The White Rabbit @BEASTFORMERS

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1852 posts
  • Interests:BEASTFORMERS:
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    Protecting, Defending & Preserving the original vintage line by TAKARA/HASBRO
    (1986-1988)

Posted 01 May 2021 - 06:49 AM

Any information on the origin of where you got the lot from?

How does the material feel?

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Collector & Founder of the Beastformers Blog

lrg-signature-beastformers-blog.gif

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#4 MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 May 2021 - 06:57 AM

He came with a lot I got a while back, but wasn’t in the pics.
I have molds of other beats but doesn’t feel like them. He feels hard when you play with him.

#5 FANtomCore

FANtomCore

FANtom-2-da-Core/Conceptor/Scanner/Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, SD Battle Beasts, Laser Beasts, God Beasts, War Monsters, Beast Saga, Battle Beasts Minimates, Armorvors, Rise of the Beasts / MUSCLE, Ultimate Muscle, Kinnikuman.

Posted 01 May 2021 - 07:29 AM

If it's hard like you say, it's probably a recast then and not original.

What I like to collect (click below)
Spoiler
"Every passion borders on the chaotic, but the collector's passion borders on the chaos of memories."
-Walter Benjamin

All toys came from the original One Toy :p

#6 MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 May 2021 - 08:12 AM

It harder than a recast, or at least the ones I have had were “soft”

#7 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 01 May 2021 - 03:09 PM

Looking at the details on the feet, I don't think it is a recast. I don't see any spots where the resin pour spot would have been cut off.

#8 MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 01 May 2021 - 03:42 PM

Me either that’s why I wanted to check with the experts

#9 fisheye

fisheye

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts
  • Interests:Muscle. Marvel Comics. Marvel Trading Cards. PS4/PS5/Switch/GBA/DS/3DS gaming.

Posted 01 May 2021 - 03:48 PM

Hmm. That being said, can you post a pic of it's back?

#10 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1852 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 02 May 2021 - 02:22 AM

More pics from various sides would be useful indeed and with more information about the origin of the lot I actually meant if you got it from within the US or from somewhere else?

Based on the white residue on the figure it looks like it may have been stored in rough conditions which could also affect the quality of the rubber making that it feels more harsh than normal Beasts would.

If you happen to have an original Cobra around OR a Frilled Lizard (it´s mold partner) for that matter it´d be good to take a picture alongside this figure you found for comparison of the base color because on it´s own it looks a bit pale and more yellow compared to brown base color but that can also be caused by the paint colors the original figures have so that can trick you.

Curious to see more pics and hear more background info because the more you can share the bigger the chance we might be able to say something about it.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#11 MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 May 2021 - 09:32 AM

Here’s some more photos…. The white stuff on him wipes off, just haven’t cleaned him yet. Got him in a lot
From a guy in the US who buys from Japan. So I don’t have a solid country of origin

Attached Files

#12 fisheye

fisheye

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 02 May 2021 - 01:38 PM

Everything about it looks just a little off compared to the legit one. Could this be a Greek? 

#13 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1852 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 02 May 2021 - 03:08 PM

It's definitely NOT a Greek Beasts since they didn't have any Beasts beyond Series 1 around.

As expected you get tricked by the color seeing it on it's own and the painted normal one perfectly shows what a good paint job can do. The colors are very close if not spot on compared to each other and this together with the high quality details which are almost impossible to capture this well in a recast not usinf the original mold it might be a test run figure, like the white unpainted Laser Beasts that are around.

I vaguely remember there's been a lot like that with BB on the market a couple of years ago that contained some unpainted BB. Sadly enough that lot, as far as we know, didn't end up within the BB Community so it's unclear if they were what we thought.

It's always tricky with these knowing there are people out there creating quite high quality recasts of Beasts. So also in this case it's hard and impossible to judge even though there are serious piints that seem legit.

If it's hard and not as flexible as the original it's probably way to risky to pull the arms out because that might give away a bit more clues. But in order to do that and not to break anything you've to know what you're doing. Wrote a post about it one the Beastformers Blog; A possible costly operation (you can look it up via the search function). There's explained how you can pull the arms with the use of a hairdryer but again if the material is different it might not work because it's only tested on normal Beasts.

It might be good to know that in case some would consider this a prototype or early design phase model that's something that can be excluded simply because of the presence of certain details that would be missing on early stage versions.

To be continued...?

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

#14 MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 02 May 2021 - 03:38 PM

Thanks for the info! So should I try to pull the arms out so you guys can look and get a better idea?

Going back to the hardness test. It feels very similar if not the same as the “real” cobra (material flexibility and stuff like that)

Thanks again for all the info and help!!

#15 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 02 May 2021 - 09:34 PM

Thanks for the info! So should I try to pull the arms out so you guys can look and get a better idea?

Going back to the hardness test. It feels very similar if not the same as the “real” cobra (material flexibility and stuff like that)

Thanks again for all the info and help!!

I would NOT pull the arms off. The benefit of knowing what's underneath is not worth damaging the figure.

To me, from the pics you posted, it looks either unpainted or like someone soaked it in a solution to dissolve the paint and scrubbed it to remove the remainder.

#16 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1852 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 03 May 2021 - 04:11 AM

I also wouldn't recommend pulling the arms IF you´re not certain what you´re doing.

This is the post I was referring to earlier with the instructions on how to pull the arms;

https://beastformers...stly-operation/

You could try it out on a damaged figure first so you get the feel of it and if you feel comfortable enough and you follow the instructions it shouldn´t be to hard to get the arms out.

The reason why it might give some crucial extra insight is also because of this line by Jkaris:

To me, from the pics you posted, it looks either unpainted or like someone soaked it in a solution to dissolve the paint and scrubbed it to remove the remainder.

Because there´s obviously a HUGE difference between it being an unpainted figure OR it being a figure that someone has been fooling around with removing the paint. This last suggestion sounds quite extreme and not sure what substance you´d have to use for this but it´s something we´ve to take seriously.

That´s also the reason why there´s no solid conclusion to be made yet imho, it´s not said that once the arms are pulled we know more because the parts of the arms that are inside the body are unpainted as well but we might see some unwanted color difference which could´ve been caused by the fact that the figure was indeed submerged or treated with some kind of paint removing substance. Or maybe it´ll reveal something about how this figure was cast and it´s hidden away there.

IF you do get the arms out please share pics of as well the pulled arms next to the body as well as a proper/clear shot inside the holes in the body to get as much information out of it as possible.

Again if even with this we might not know a whole lot more so it might not be worth the risk but it´s up to you.

Based on the pictures it is an interesting figure but the BB Community has it´s guard up high when it comes to strange finds like these thanks to those ¨artist¨ who don´t take the BB line to serious and simply recast and copy figure without adding markings in order to make $$ out of it. And that´s one of the main reasons why there´s and always will be a lot of skepticism in regards to finds like these. 

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

#17 MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 05:11 AM

Ok, now I want to know for sure one way or another. I’ll practice taking an arm off with a beat up beats. Should it be one or both arms?

#18 FANtomCore

FANtomCore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, SD Battle Beasts, Laser Beasts, God Beasts, War Monsters, Beast Saga, Battle Beasts Minimates, Armorvors, Rise of the Beasts / MUSCLE, Ultimate Muscle, Kinnikuman.

Posted 03 May 2021 - 08:26 AM

Maybe it's a factory test sample. Might explain why it's missing the purple paint, but also hard. The base color is somewhat close to the production version, so I think it was a test sample trying to get the right base color to match up.

Edited by FANtomCore, 03 May 2021 - 08:30 AM.

Spoiler
"Every passion borders on the chaotic, but the collector's passion borders on the chaos of memories."
-Walter Benjamin

#19 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1852 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 03 May 2021 - 09:20 AM

Ok, now I want to know for sure one way or another. I’ll practice taking an arm off with a beat up beats. Should it be one or both arms?

Normally one arm should be more than enough to tell if something weird is going on.

Just be careful and don´t force anything, once you´ve warmed up the body part you´ll soon enough feel with a little pulling and twisting (make sure the whole arms is rotating and it´s not solely moving on the connection with the peg inside because than you risk breaking it) if the arm will come out or not. If you´ve checked the post I shared and try it out with another beat up Beast first you should get a good feel of what to expect.

Good luck if you go for it!

Maybe it's a factory test sample. Might explain why it's missing the purple paint, but also hard. The base color is somewhat close to the production version, so I think it was a test sample trying to get the right base color to match up.

Possible but that´s why I´d hoped there´s a bit of background info because it´s quite a pretty random find amongst a lot of normal BB, with a possible figure like that you´d expect maybe more oddities to be part of that lot but that doesn´t seem to be the case.

Curious to see what information the arms will reveal, or not...

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

#20 FANtomCore

FANtomCore

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1002 posts

Posted 03 May 2021 - 04:28 PM

Possible but that´s why I´d hoped there´s a bit of background info because it´s quite a pretty random find amongst a lot of normal BB, with a possible figure like that you´d expect maybe more oddities to be part of that lot but that doesn´t seem to be the case.

Curious to see what information the arms will reveal, or not...

It doesn't necessarily have to have additional oddities attached with it. I mean its possible the person who possessed the test sample probably just threw it in with the rest of his Battle Beasts collection and sold it together without a second thought.

Here is an example of a Hasbro G.I. Joe "factory prototype test shot' sample. It's similar in context to the item in question.

s-l500.jpg

Spoiler
-Walter Benjamin

#21 MonkeyMan

MonkeyMan

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 05 May 2021 - 02:39 PM

**update**
Ok so luckily I got his arms off (thanks for the reading material). Couldn’t get a clear pic of the inside but it’s the same color. And obviously haven’t cleaned him yet.

Attached Files

#22 Beastformers

Beastformers

• 1852 posts
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    (1986-1988)

Posted 06 May 2021 - 02:01 AM

Seems to be ok but, if the arm is still out, try to take a couple more pics from different angles because from this top view the peg itself can´t be judged. Also the inside might be hard to capture but if you try to shine a light in it it might work and even a blurry picture in this case could help.

It would definitely be an interesting figure to check out in person, despite the facts there are still doubts about whether or not the paint might have been removed in some way, but I assume you´ll be keeping it in the collection yourself. If not let me know.

Thank for the updates!

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

#23 Frankensteinsrobot

Frankensteinsrobot

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 31 July 2021 - 01:45 PM

Looking at the details on the feet, I don't think it is a recast. I don't see any spots where the resin pour spot would have been cut off.

Im part of BogxSquad (check on instagram if you're unfamiliar) and the Bog Dweller and other figures we produce in resin NEVER have pour spots remaining or even any inclination that a pour spot was there to begin with. Judging by the residue on it that wipes away, that is a form of mold release spray that has stuck to it. Id say this is a resin re-cast somebody was planning on painting for a custom figure without damaging or stripping an original figure.

Edited by Frankensteinsrobot, 31 July 2021 - 01:46 PM.

#24 Sydot

Sydot

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 26 August 2021 - 10:45 AM

Late to the party here but in reference to it being a recast, one thing to note is that most resin casters use silicone molds. The reason that is worth noting is because of the arms on this guy.

If he is like a real battle beast than the cavities at his shoulders have narrow holes that open up in to a larger area to keep the arms secure. That’s tough to recast for a few reasons. It would probably form bubbles in there when you pour the silicone to make the mold, but thats something that can be overcome in a number of ways, and not the major concern.

I think the real problem is that silicone that narrows that much would tear fairly easily. Just like you can damage arms by pulling them out you can damage the silicone far easier the same way. That’s why you seldom see those kind of joints used on resin figs. It’s not impossible to overcome but I would think that if it is a home done resin job, they would need to be a lot more skilled than the average resin caster.

www.instagram.com/sydot_toys

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com