18 replies to this topic

#1 Trench

Trench

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:05 PM

Forgive me if I did this wrong or if the custom sucks far too bad. Feel free to guide me.
This is my first bb custom and maybe third ever in over a decade of interest in the hobby. I could blame old model master acryl paint or the standard white restore brushes but I think lack of skill plays a larger part in this outcome. The figure came shipped for $4.10. He was already wearing the laser beast arm so I went with it. I sculpted over the right shoulder, cut and stretched the left hand a bit then slopped my way thru a paint job.
I mixed the cobalt blue with some black and mixed the brown up using a few browns and tans. The black wash didn't come out as planned but I was pleasantly surprised that the dry brush on the right arm isn't too bad. I'm happy enough with him to move on. That has been a problem for me in the past. Being never pleased with a custom stops fellas like me from ever finishing.

Attached Files

#2 Trench

Trench

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 03:07 PM

Crap! How do I rotate?

#3 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 15 June 2017 - 05:25 PM

First of all: Looks good.

Secondly: if you loaded it from your phone, sometimes this just happens. I have no idea why or how to prevent it.

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#4 Exactobeast

Exactobeast

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 15 June 2017 - 06:39 PM

Awesome work Trench! Looks great! Time to move on! That way you can do a dozen more, then come back and touch him up. I'm still touching up old customs all the time.

#5 Trench

Trench

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 03:13 AM

Thanks for the words of encouragement guys. I'm pretty sure I will end up going back to detail at some point. I'd like better brushes as well. I'm moving on to this guys teammate. And the army of swine of which I have no actual pig parts. Cheers!

#6 Rubberhammer

Rubberhammer

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2463 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 05:47 AM

Secondly: if you loaded it from your phone, sometimes this just happens. I have no idea why or how to prevent it.

On my phone, if I turn my phone sideways to take a pic, with the left side down, all my pics load fine. However, if I turn it on it's right side all my pics will load sideways, like the one in this post.

I am not sure why this is, or even if other models of phones would behave in this manner, but mine does. Every time.

Maybe phones are designed for the camera to be operated with the right hand?

#7 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 16 June 2017 - 07:18 AM

On my phone, if I turn my phone sideways to take a pic, with the left side down, all my pics load fine. However, if I turn it on it's right side all my pics will load sideways, like the one in this post.

I am not sure why this is, or even if other models of phones would behave in this manner, but mine does. Every time.

Maybe phones are designed for the camera to be operated with the right hand?

That's possible. I will experiment with this later, as I have noticed my phone pictures tend to choose which way they want to be oriented also. (Some are fine, some are on their side.)

Edited by Draznar, 16 June 2017 - 07:19 AM.

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#8 Trench

Trench

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 16 June 2017 - 10:18 AM

Thanks guys. I honestly wondered if that was why. But, I took so many trying to get a good one that I don't remember which way it was. Still, my pic sucks anyway. Practice.

#9 Trench

Trench

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 02:07 PM

Feel free to delete the duplicate pictures. I'm just trying to figure out how to hold the phone to get the pics upright. I added dry brush steel to the anteater to blend the two figures together a bit. So here is #2 then #1 and #2 together. Thanks for looking.

Attached Files

#10 Exactobeast

Exactobeast

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 25 June 2017 - 07:28 PM

Nice! What is the mouthpiece from?

#11 Trench

Trench

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 02:14 AM

The mouthpiece is just a ball of sculpting clay flattened to the cut off snout. The hose is copper wire wrapped around a section of paper clip. I should have made the mask cover more of the snout. Not sure why I didn't. Oh well.

#12 Exactobeast

Exactobeast

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 05:55 AM

Think it looks great.  Extremely similar to the weasel

#13 Trench

Trench

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 08:48 AM

Thanks Exactobeast. I guess the War Boar will end up looking like the War Weasel as well. But that will be by design purposely. The weasel is one of my favorites.... besides his fur color.

#14 GreenMountainBeastformers

GreenMountainBeastformers

Beastmaster

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 01:58 PM

Wow, that hose on the Mole was a great idea and a very cool look.  Nice paint work too.

#15 Trench

Trench

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 27 June 2017 - 02:12 PM

Thank you GMB. It's people like you and Exactobeast that really inspired me to try customizing again. I'm getting better at leaving good enough alone and not trying to add too much detail to EVERY piece. Plus, without much articulation, beasts are less hassle with joint rub.
I'm the guy that messaged you via ebay about the white pig too!

#16 Trench

Trench

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 05:17 PM

Started with this scrape faced bulldog.
Here's #3, Bludgeonus Maximus.

Attached Files

Edited by Trench, 08 July 2017 - 02:25 AM.

#17 Trench

Trench

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 05:20 PM

And nice. Glad my phone decided to flip the pics sideways again. Phone held the same way as #2 was. Rrrrrrrrr.

#18 Exactobeast

Exactobeast

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 07 July 2017 - 08:00 PM

So, the dog looks awesome. However, can I recommmend the moniker BDSM Bulldog? Maybe he needs a whip in the other hand.

#19 Trench

Trench

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 02:29 AM

Nice observation.... but no. Lol. Not what I had in mind, but now I see it.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com