124 replies to this topic

#1 Remington

Remington

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 06:40 PM

Does anyone else have any of these? they are from the Monster Rancher series from playmate, they are around 15+ years old.. I've recently been trying to collect more of these, It all started when I found them for sale at my local gaming store (gameswap) I had to have them as soon as I saw them and they were only a quarter a piece! Naturally I had to have more, I got a few more from a flea market around where I live..but they only had a few.. and most people never even heard of them, I of course resorted to ebay but even then, there isnt many or good deals. There one of my favorite mini figures, they even came with cards for each mosnter and you could play some game with them.

23uc0eo.jpg

Here is the gang, they even made a cartoon series, Mocchi,Hare,Golem,Seuzo,Wolf

2qlwuxj.jpg

#2 bigazzhead

bigazzhead

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1604 posts
  • Interests:Mini Figure interests:
    Monster in my Pocket
    Megaman/Rockman
    Dragon Ball
    Dragon Quest
    Old Nintendo
    Gegege no Kitaro
    general monster keshi
    Ghostbusters
    Zombie related stuff
    and anything cool. (yeah I know pretty vague)

Posted 02 October 2014 - 06:42 PM

I have a handful. I'm particularly fond of the golem variants.

#3 Remington

Remington

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 06:48 PM

Nice! I also love golem,magma(red),Big Blue, They come in 2 different poses, normal stance and fighting pose..I dont have any of the fighting pose ones :(

I think my favorite is Mocchi and Pheonix since he seems hard to get.

#4 108KickBack

108KickBack

Beast-Former Gatherer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Interests:Laser Beasts, Battle Beasts,Anything Beastformer, Insects,Bugs and arachnids.

Posted 02 October 2014 - 06:52 PM

Does anyone else have any of these? they are from the Monster Rancher series from playmate, they are around 15+ years old.. I've recently been trying to collect more of these, It all started when I found them for sale at my local gaming store (gameswap) I had to have them as soon as I saw them and they were only a quarter a piece! Naturally I had to have more, I got a few more from a flea market around where I live..but they only had a few.. and most people never even heard of them, I of course resorted to ebay but even then, there isnt many or good deals. There one of my favorite mini figures, they even came with cards for each mosnter and you could play some game with them.

23uc0eo.jpg

Here is the gang, they even made a cartoon series, Mocchi,Hare,Golem,Seuzo,Wolf

2qlwuxj.jpg

I loved that cartoon as a kid! I thought it was only a cartoon.is it based off of a comic or something.Great collection by the way , I haven't seen lot's of these figs.

#5 Remington

Remington

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:01 PM

Its also a series of video games, It was around the era of pokemon, so monster rancher was kinda trying to copy them, you raised a monster to do battle in the colleseum :)

#6 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5097 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 02 October 2014 - 09:18 PM

I watched a bit of Monster Rancher when it aired, but it was in syndication at a poor time so not frequently. I found some of the distinct designs interesting but was always a little turned-off by the very simplified, boring and sometimes ill-fitting proper names I'd hear in the show. Case in point, the monster you named Wolf that's from the anime is actually called Tiger. You know, the blue horned wolf-looking, obviously canine monster. Sure! Then you had things like the elite villains of the series simply being called the Big Bad Four, the reptilian dinosaur monsters known as Dinos, and the fact that monster species consisted of mixing two pure breeds together so that the resulting creature was a different-colored version of one of the original monsters. It seemed like a calculated move to make an even more kid-friendly series than Pokémon was, juxtaposed with the odd moments of death and including fanservice bait femme fatale Pixie...

Bet I could have gotten more interested had I ever collected the toys or played any of the old games. Only one I have was in a lot sold here on LRG some time back - I think it's a Selketo?

#7 Remington

Remington

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 02 October 2014 - 09:46 PM

Oh crap I meant Tiger, I dont know why I said wolf..haha, yes selketo the black scorpion monster in the middle, the cartoon was pretty cheesy and bad haha but I still watched it for some reason

http://www.virtualto...terrancher.html

for a list of them.

#8 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 03 October 2014 - 01:14 AM

Thenerdieststore had a bunch in his only store. Check there!
<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#9 EnigmaGamer

EnigmaGamer

Video Game Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Interests:Video Games

Posted 03 October 2014 - 01:50 AM

wow this look awesome !

I used to always play monster rancher on my ps1, such a fun game :)

#10 bigazzhead

bigazzhead

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1604 posts
    Monster in my Pocket
    Megaman/Rockman
    Dragon Ball
    Dragon Quest
    Old Nintendo
    Gegege no Kitaro
    general monster keshi
    Ghostbusters
    Zombie related stuff

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:30 AM

I loved the idea of disc swapping on the ps1 to get new monsters. Such an awesome gimmick.

#11 EnigmaGamer

EnigmaGamer

Video Game Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 456 posts
  • Interests:Video Games

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:51 AM

I loved the idea of disc swapping on the ps1 to get new monsters. Such an awesome gimmick.

It was really cool, wish more game would do something like that.

#12 thenerdieststore

thenerdieststore

Mimp total =

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1235 posts
  • Interests:Monster in my pocket

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:08 AM

Thenerdieststore had a bunch in his only store. Check there!

Hahahaha thanks for the plug! I do have a bunch :) they are actually from my original collection too!

"THOSE WHO LAY THEIR EYES ON A GUNDAM, SHALL NOT LIVE TO TELL ABOUT IT. Those was the orders I was given."

101_5358_zps74e6dfc3.jpg

#13 thenerdieststore

thenerdieststore

Mimp total =

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 11:14 AM

Also, is it just me or is there more than what this list is saying? I am pretty sure I remember there being more than 63 monsters.... http://www.virtualto...terrancher.html

Edited by thenerdieststore, 03 October 2014 - 11:30 AM.

"THOSE WHO LAY THEIR EYES ON A GUNDAM, SHALL NOT LIVE TO TELL ABOUT IT. Those was the orders I was given."

101_5358_zps74e6dfc3.jpg

#14 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5097 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:26 PM

I have my doubts that Playmates bothered to make 429+ unique monster figures, but yeah, the checklist on Virtual Toy Chest is almost guaranteed incomplete.

#15 Remington

Remington

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 07:52 PM

Yeah, I read playmate sadly discontinued the toys pretty quick..nobody was buying them, I myself didnt even know they existed back then..if it wasnt for that gaming store near me.. I never woulda started the collection. here's what i THINK is the complete collection that was released here and the ones I have and dont I do have a couple doubles too but each one comes with a different symbol on there back, there's 5 symbols (Purple Square-POWER,Green Half Moon-INTELLIGENCE,Yellow Lighting Bolt-SPEED,Blue Star-FAME,Red Heart-LOYALTY)

5bzrcx.jpg

#16 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5097 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:07 PM

Hmm, maybe all of the figures listed on VTC really are the only ones released. I checked your checklist against all the figures listed on their site (62 to their 63) and the only discrepancy I could find was that Zilla got listed on both pages for no apparent reason, which would account for the extra figure. If that's the case, then the line must have died before new figures could be brought in to replace the ones marked as Retired on your box's checklist.

I think the molded symbol gimmick and the line's tendency to reuse molds made me think there were even more made than the ones covered on the site. And holy crap did this line pad out its monster count! "Fighting" sculpts, the Young Tiger and Grey Wolf, all the Mocchi, Hare and Suezo variants, all inexplicably counted as separate monsters, and that's after you already have four different Golem species and two of every other.

#17 Remington

Remington

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 October 2014 - 10:19 PM

Very true, who knows how many more of the same figure but different pose they woulda done..also I had never seen the Horn figure until recently on ebay, it seems harder to get and I read somewhere that the "super rare" normal Kato came with darker brown stripes on him at first but they stopped doing it for some reason on later figures..I got one without stripes :(

#18 thenerdieststore

thenerdieststore

Mimp total =

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 06:41 AM

So..................... this thread led me to buy a ton of these tiny guys lol I also got Monster Rancher Battle Card Episode II. Loved Monster Rancher and thanks to Remington, I am rekindeling an old love lol

Also for some reason I am extremely good at Battle Card Episode II lol beast mode-ing it :)

Edited by thenerdieststore, 06 October 2014 - 06:41 AM.

101_5358_zps74e6dfc3.jpg

#19 thenerdieststore

thenerdieststore

Mimp total =

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

Posted 06 October 2014 - 01:22 PM

Just found this out by ebaying monster ranchers via various countries. Apparently Italy has fake monster rancher toys:

http://www.ebay.fr/i...74d3cc#shpCntId

http://www.ebay.fr/i...#ht_1117wt_1157

Not sure on how many they got but there is a few on there.

101_5358_zps74e6dfc3.jpg

#20 bigazzhead

bigazzhead

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1604 posts
    Monster in my Pocket
    Megaman/Rockman
    Dragon Ball
    Dragon Quest
    Old Nintendo
    Gegege no Kitaro
    general monster keshi
    Ghostbusters
    Zombie related stuff

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:54 AM

HA this Golem is awesome. It looks like Ziggy hiding a pile of rocks.

http://www.ebay.fr/i...sd=121441151828

#21 thenerdieststore

thenerdieststore

Mimp total =

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

Posted 07 October 2014 - 07:05 AM

HA this Golem is awesome. It looks like Ziggy hiding a pile of rocks.

http://www.ebay.fr/i...sd=121441151828

Yeah that golem is amazing! I bought a set of those bootlegs lol they look so goofy and odd. Super excited to have them displayed

101_5358_zps74e6dfc3.jpg

#22 thenerdieststore

thenerdieststore

Mimp total =

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:54 AM

Here is my tiny collection so far :) got about five more sets on the way lol I got 63 spots and I will fill them all in according to there order

monsterrancherstuff_zpscbc0b57b.jpg

Edited by thenerdieststore, 08 October 2014 - 05:54 AM.

101_5358_zps74e6dfc3.jpg

#23 108KickBack

108KickBack

Beast-Former Gatherer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Interests:Laser Beasts, Battle Beasts,Anything Beastformer, Insects,Bugs and arachnids.

Posted 08 October 2014 - 07:56 AM

So..................... this thread led me to buy a ton of these tiny guys lol I also got Monster Rancher Battle Card Episode II. Loved Monster Rancher and thanks to Remington, I am rekindeling an old love lol

Also for some reason I am extremely good at Battle Card Episode II lol beast mode-ing it :)

Same here i just got two Monster Ranchers on card.I totally forgot about this show.

#24 bigazzhead

bigazzhead

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1604 posts
    Monster in my Pocket
    Megaman/Rockman
    Dragon Ball
    Dragon Quest
    Old Nintendo
    Gegege no Kitaro
    general monster keshi
    Ghostbusters
    Zombie related stuff

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:08 AM

Same here i just got two Monster Ranchers on card.I totally forgot about this show.

Sadly I can never forget the awful theme.

#25 thenerdieststore

thenerdieststore

Mimp total =

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

Posted 08 October 2014 - 08:39 AM

Sadly I can never forget the awful theme.

lol I like the american better than the japanese themes. I also found out you could buy Genki and Suezo halloween costumes on ebay for cheap lol finally I will have an excuse to spit on people and say im in character!!

101_5358_zps74e6dfc3.jpg

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com