#1 bbhood

bbhood

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
  • Interests:Monsters In My Pocket, Nintendo NES, Dragon Dice

Posted 06 March 2016 - 02:17 PM

So, im just kinda curious what other people think about this. What is the best way to wash/clean monster in my pocket figures?

Is it best to just not wash them? Will washing them with a mild soap make them more susceptible to fading over periods of time?

Let me know what you guys think.

#2 PaulEWog116

PaulEWog116

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 02:25 PM

Dish soap, warm water and an old toothbrush works great and will not damage them. It just takes forever if you have a lot.

I have heard of one person using an ultrasonic cleaner to clean some on ebay. Not sure if it could damage them but they sure looked nice and clean. 

See my collection on Instagram. @Paul.Sewell.14

#3 TinyPink

TinyPink

Vengeful Ghost of Bubba Ritter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1551 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 02:26 PM

So, im just kinda curious what other people think about this. What is the best way to wash/clean monster in my pocket figures?

Is it best to just not wash them? Will washing them with a mild soap make them more susceptible to fading over periods of time?

Let me know what you guys think.

Nah, I don't think a good soaking/scrubbing has anything to do with fading/color bleeding.  Get some good dish soap or powdered stuff, a couple toothbrushes, and have AT 'em!

NOT wash them??  GROSS!!

They LOVE their hot soapy bath, see?

Attached File  IMG_1112.JPG   89.7K   10 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1113.JPG   108.39K   9 downloads

Welcomed currency:  Rubber Uglies, rubber monsters, jigglers, vinyl monsters, Arco monsters, Imperial monsters, fish cans....

#4 bbhood

bbhood

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 02:34 PM

Ok, cool! Thanks for the fast reply. Almost all my figures are in great shape and dont need to be washed, but Ive got one blue Jabborwock which is dirty and stands out like a sore thumb. Maybe ill take before and after pics.

#5 TinyPink

TinyPink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1551 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 02:41 PM

Maybe ill take before and after pics.

Please do, I enjoy things like this.

In regards to only washing select figures, why not get a good hot bath going and soak 'em all?  I'm not trying to perpetuate my germ phobia, but a good soak never hurt anyone.

(Well, we obviously don't want to soak toys with electronic components, metal bits, decals, etc., but you get the point.)

I've collected toys and video game stuff for the better part of 40 years, and I've learned this:  People are n-a-s-t-y.   I'll leave the details up to the imagination...

Welcomed currency:  Rubber Uglies, rubber monsters, jigglers, vinyl monsters, Arco monsters, Imperial monsters, fish cans....

#6 bbhood

bbhood

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 03:36 PM

[/URL]">http://P1010032_zpsjpulc89i.jpg

[/URL]">http://P1010033_zpsv6hplsdg.jpg

Upon closer inspection, the Jabborwock is a little faded. Pictures show it against a nicer one. I washed it anyway and it looks about the same. Oh well.

#7 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog

Duck President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4202 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 04:43 PM

I put them in a bucket of warm water with laundry detergent. They're pretty resilient, and it cleans them without the need for scrubbing.
<span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#8b0000;">Stuff I'm selling: <strong><a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=220814">Madballs Water Squirters</a> *</strong></span> <strong><a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=154077">Gormiti</a> * <a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=148080">Miscellaneous (MIMP, FOA etc)</a></strong></span><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#808000;">Stuff I really need:</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=235893"><strong>HERE</strong></a></span><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#008000;">Stuff I collect:</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...showtopic=44163"><strong>Gormiti</strong></a></span><br><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#4b0082;">Get your own easy-to-use</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...ndpost&p=264795"><strong>M.U.S.C.L.E.</strong></a> <span style="color:#4b0082;">or</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...08"><strong>MIMP Series 1/2</strong></a> <span style="color:#4b0082;">checklists!</span></span>

#8 TinyPink

TinyPink

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1551 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 05:00 PM

I put them in a bucket of warm water with laundry detergent. They're pretty resilient, and it cleans them without the need for scrubbing.

Laundry soap is always good, I sprinkle them with powdered Borax.   But those crevices, though....I've had toothpick tips turned gray/black, soaking water the color of coffee, etc.    :confused:   So filthy.

#9 PaulEWog116

PaulEWog116

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 06:44 PM

Ok, cool! Thanks for the fast reply. Almost all my figures are in great shape and dont need to be washed, but Ive got one blue Jabborwock which is dirty and stands out like a sore thumb. Maybe ill take before and after pics.

You wouldn't want to sell that blue jabberwock by any chance would you. Last one that I need to complete my series 2 set. If anyone has one hit me up.

People are n-a-s-t-y. 

Yeah some of the collector types out there aren't... Shall we say... The showering type...

I wash everything I get from outside sources. I have received some unbelievably nasty packages of figures. 

Edited by PaulEWog116, 06 March 2016 - 06:44 PM.

#10 bbhood

bbhood

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 07:24 PM

You wouldn't want to sell that blue jabberwock by any chance would you. Last one that I need to complete my series 2 set. If anyone has one hit me up.

Unsure at this point, myself I need the Pink Jabborwock and the Green Dragon. Would like to trade it for either one of these/

#11 PaulEWog116

PaulEWog116

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 07 March 2016 - 12:56 PM

Unsure at this point, myself I need the Pink Jabborwock and the Green Dragon. Would like to trade it for either one of these/

Unfortunately I sold off spare my green dragon and I only have pink jebber in my personal collection. I have a lead on another one anyway now so I wont hold it against you ;p

Edited by PaulEWog116, 07 March 2016 - 12:56 PM.

#12 Famicomrade

Famicomrade

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 13 March 2016 - 06:40 AM

I think dish soap is the best for MIMP cleaning, but I would recommend to not exceed with the water temperature when you do the warm bath of your MIMP (I think 35-40 C is ok), because hot water can fade them.

Observing some slightly faded figures I thought that hot baths can be the cause, then I did an experiment leaving a MIMP in a pan with very hot water, something like 80 C, reheating the water off and on without boiling.

At the end of the experiment the water was opaque and the surface was covered in small oily drops, the figure looked very polished and shiny but considerably faded expecially in the protruding parts.

I'm sure all of you guys knew this but I wanted to give an account of my experiment. Here's a picture of the purple Sping Heeled Jack I used for the test, visibily faded.

http://imgur.com/fDfNXb9

#13 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts
  • Interests:Collecting MIMP and playing Fantasy Baseball.

Posted 13 March 2016 - 02:32 PM

I generally use alcohol pads with those wooden nail sticks for the corners. I wouldn't recommend that for painted figures though as it can remove the paint. 

My MIMP Resource site: http://mimpcollective.weebly.com

Behemoth's Video Game and MIMP YouTube Page: https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

#14 theassassin

theassassin

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 05:04 AM

A problem I've always had with my MIMPs is stickiness. Even when I was a kid in the 1990s I remember some of the figures becoming sticky, and this won't wash off for some reason. I always took care of my figures, so I don't think it was anything that actually got on there, I figure it must be the rubber degrading or something and the stickiness was coming from the rubber somehow. But curiously it doesn't happen with all figures, only some.

#15 PaulEWog116

PaulEWog116

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 237 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 04:53 PM

A problem I've always had with my MIMPs is stickiness. Even when I was a kid in the 1990s I remember some of the figures becoming sticky, and this won't wash off for some reason. I always took care of my figures, so I don't think it was anything that actually got on there, I figure it must be the rubber degrading or something and the stickiness was coming from the rubber somehow. But curiously it doesn't happen with all figures, only some.

That is odd. I have over 1000 mimp (Probably a couple thousand) and none of mine are sticky. You sure you dont just have sweaty hands? ;p

#16 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts
  • Interests:Collecting MIMP and playing Fantasy Baseball.

Posted 16 March 2016 - 06:10 PM

I had this happen when I stored some in ziplocs and they got hot. Especially with the series 4 figures. 

My MIMP Resource site: http://mimpcollective.weebly.com

Behemoth's Video Game and MIMP YouTube Page: https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

#17 Grencats

Grencats

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 16 March 2016 - 09:07 PM

I use water, with and a splash of white vinegar and a little dish soap with a toothbrush. I figure the vinegar would help prevent any mildew which can sometimes be found on vintage figures. Don't use hot water though for any rubber figures with paint because it softens it, and it can then come off with the toothbrush. Oh and don't soak them for any length of time just a quick wash.

Edited by Grencats, 16 March 2016 - 09:10 PM.

#18 bbhood

bbhood

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 March 2016 - 10:34 AM

I actually noticed this recently. A few days ago I was washing all of my monsters, and I had 2 figures (both yellow) that after washing were very sticky. I washed them all the same way, just a quick wash with warm water/dish soap and a quick rinse. I was kinda fascinated at how sticky this one jotun troll was. I would assume maybe the plastic is a little different?

Also, a number of my figures seem to have very small black spots, Im guessing that originated from dust. Kinda frustrating, but I dont want to rub at them too hard. Some of these spots washed off, others wont. Dont want to use rubbing alc or anything abrasive. This drives my OCD brain crazy.

#19 optimusdrizzt

optimusdrizzt

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Playing addicting video games, anime, MUSCLE, megaman, snarf from Thundercats, guts,and Battle Beasts. Really any smaller figure from the 80s/90s.

Posted 17 March 2016 - 11:51 AM

If they are sticky leave them out in an airy room on an open shelf for a week the stickiness goes away. Like said above the plastic needs to breath and should go back to normal rather quick. There is a similar discussion about this that 108kickback had with Battle beasts and plastic stands. Something about certain plastic bags/stands don't allow oxygen flow.

Always Looking for Battle Beasts PM if you got extras!!!!

#20 Snuff

Snuff

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
  • Interests:MIMP

Posted 08 November 2017 - 12:43 AM

I received a reeeeally dirty lot from Italy (some of the worst examples attached). Black, red stains... (luckily no red fade).

I've got to say that laundry soap worked better than dish soap. That and a nailbrush and patience... 95% success, I would say.

Attached Files

#21 WendyW

WendyW

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 10 November 2017 - 04:53 PM

People are n-a-s-t-y.  

Have you ever tried cleaning an entire bag full of 80s and 90s Lego?

That's fun. A toothbrush will get most of it, but not all the... weird black gunk... that accumulates on the inside of the bricks. For that you need a sewing needle or a pin or similar to get into all the corners and inside the tubes.

Collecting old toys is gross.

Rewarding, but gross.

My comics:

Gilbert and the Grim Rabbit - gilbertandgrim.com

Commander Cottontail - commandercottontail.com

#22 Eclipse86

Eclipse86

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Interests:Mini Boglins / MIMP

Posted 19 November 2017 - 07:04 AM

I leave to soak in a sink full of warm water with fairy liquid for about and hour.

Then go through one by one with a toothbrush and nail brush, rinse with hot water / repeat.

I find it very satisfying receiving a new lot thats a bit grubby, and restoring to their former glory before joining the rest of my collection.

bit OCD I reckon.  ;)

#23 ChronicCollector

ChronicCollector

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts
  • Interests:I used to have monsters in my pocket as a kid and something about these figures just brings back all those warm fuzzy memories from the 80's where my chief concerns where Christmas, my Birthday, Saturday morning cartoons, and what was for Dessert each night.

I'm just addicted to the collecting and the nostalgia of these guys, I can't stop collecting ! lol I need every color XD

I love the colors and I love the art design of the creatures, I've only recently started collecting but I find it very enjoyable. I am currently trying to get all the colors that glow brightly under a blacklight so I can set up a display :)

Anyways I'm happy to be a part of this MIMP community :)

Posted 29 December 2017 - 01:21 PM

One of these days someone is going to do like they did for the SNES where they found a chemical combination that would remove the yellowing from the fire pinheadant in the plastic, making the old yellowed consoles look brand new. Someone is going to do the same for MIMP and find a special chemical combo that will remove the red stains out of MIMP's and they're going to be remembered as a legend. There has to be something that can suck the stain back out !

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com