Theme© by Fisana

Photo

Need help identifying some small kaiju toys.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

Aspiring Bigman/Handshake Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 06 December 2007 - 12:48 PM

First of all, i'm new here. Just got re-hooked on M.U.S.C.L.E. and it's sprawling out into an interest in all sorts of tiny toys.

A while back i came into possession of this little red trash can, containing a dozen of these little kaiju toys. They're smaller than the average M.U.S.C.L.E., and slightly more rubbery than plasticy. They are stamped on the bottom of their feet, but it's in Japanese and not very clear. Also the trash can says made in Japan.

I know these aren't Godzilla monsters, and i've scoured the internet for information on every kaiju series i might not have seen, and i've come up empty handed. So are these tied into anything, or just a set of random monster toys?

I've included some thumbnails to hopefully assist in the identification process. Click to embiggen!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Shove my words down your eye-holes!
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#2 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 06 December 2007 - 01:34 PM

They are most likely one of two toy lines: Monster Toss or Canful of Monsters

I've only ever seen yellow or green cans. How cool to see a red can!

Check this thread out, mate!

http://www.littlerub...d...st&p=159593
Posted Image

#3 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 06 December 2007 - 01:45 PM

Thanks a lot! Checked out the pictures on that thread, and a few of my figures do seem to be the same sculpts in different colors. Monster Toss sounds awesome, although now i'm just sad that i don't have the catapult. <_<
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#4 mrjayberry

mrjayberry

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 03:06 PM

Welcome to the boards Scumdogg, thanks for posting pics and I love your avatar.

#5 asator

asator

Still lurking around

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1145 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 03:29 PM

Welcome to the boards! And remember, "A noble spirit embiggens the smallest man."

...its a perfectly cromulent word.

#6 BILLYGALAXY

BILLYGALAXY

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Yokai &amp; Obake <br />Arco Other World<br />Dragonriders of the Styx<br />Tomland figures<br />Microman<br />Henshin Cyborg<br />Captain Action<br />Manglors<br />Army Ants<br />Lots of other cool small strange stuff

Posted 06 December 2007 - 03:35 PM

They are all from the Ultraman series from Japan, but many American companies used unlicensed versions of these monsters for alot of different things in the 70's and 80's
Posted Image

912 W. Burnside
Portland, OR 97209
USA

www.billygalaxy.com

#7 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 03:47 PM

Welcome to the boards Scumdogg, thanks for posting pics and I love your avatar.

Thanks, always happy to spread the word of ancient Pacthulhu. Or you know, at least his glorious visage. <_<

And Ultraman, hmm? Lousy kaiju archives, you've let me down! That seems like it should've been so easy to find.
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#8 Safeatsecond

Safeatsecond

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Writing, softball, cars. Space movie/tv nut.<br /><br />Collect - Vintage 3 3/4&quot; Sci-fi figures <br /> - Sci-fi ships, diecast etc (no models)<br /> - Hasbro Heroes, Imaginext, Fisher Price Great Adventures etc.<br /> - Ninja Mites, MIMP.<br /> <br />Looking for 1970's parachuting Godzilla, Rhodan etc. (similar to MIMP).

Posted 06 December 2007 - 04:51 PM

These look very similar to the Godzilla parachute figures I'm looking for. Been so long since I had them, these may well be them. The ones I remember were blue and mostly Godzilla characters.

Great... now I have another series to try and collect...

Edited by Safeatsecond, 06 December 2007 - 04:57 PM.

"Life and death appeared to me ideal bounds, which I should first break through, and pour a torrent of light into our dark world."
-Frankenstein; The Modern Prometheus, Mary Shelley

#9 mrjayberry

mrjayberry

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 05:08 PM

Safeatsecond a big LRG welcome to you as well. Somebody on here used to collect those Poopa Troopers from the seventies. I'll try to find the thread
to see if he still posts or has a website that might shed some light on similar parchute figures.

Edited by mrjayberry, 06 December 2007 - 05:09 PM.

#10 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 06:17 PM

They are all from the Ultraman series from Japan, but many American companies used unlicensed versions of these monsters for alot of different things in the 70's and 80's

In this case, these reproduced Ultraman sculpts appear to be licensed by Bandai. See my Canfull of Monsters Toypedia entry for more details.

Special thanks to Fontinal and Scumdogg for the pictures and info!

PS -- Mods, could we merge this thread with this thread -- http://www.littlerub...mp;#entry159593

Thanks!
Posted Image

#11 Safeatsecond

Safeatsecond

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts
  • Interests:Writing, softball, cars. Space movie/tv nut.<br /><br />Collect - Vintage 3 3/4&quot; Sci-fi figures <br /> - Sci-fi ships, diecast etc (no models)<br /> - Hasbro Heroes, Imaginext, Fisher Price Great Adventures etc.<br /> - Ninja Mites, MIMP.<br /> <br />Looking for 1970's parachuting Godzilla, Rhodan etc. (similar to MIMP).

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:13 PM

Thanks for that link Soupie, and the warm welcome mrjayberry.

I need more stuff to collect like I need another hole in my head... Oh well, always space for another hole.

The Ben10 mini figures remind me of Crazy bones, of which my daughters, meaning me by default <_< , have WAY too many.
"Life and death appeared to me ideal bounds, which I should first break through, and pour a torrent of light into our dark world."

#12 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 08:31 PM

The Ben10 mini figures remind me of Crazy bones, of which my daughters, meaning me by default ;) , have WAY too many.

:o

Woah! Those little things are cool! Now I'd say they remind me of Mini Boglins. I've already gone ahead and ordered a bunch... for research purposes. :D
Posted Image

#13 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 09:05 PM

Great writeup on the Canfull of Monsters! You put that together fast.

I collect all kinds of toys and usually don't have a problem identifying anything, but i can't tell you how happy i was to see Toypedia. So many archive sites just concentrate on the larger-scale lines, and if you can find any info on the small stuff it's usually just M.U.S.C.L.E. and M.I.M.P. Glad to see someone helping to fill this gap in the collective toy knowledge.

I also can't resist pointing out that it's nice to see my can get the recognition it deserves. :o

Edited by Scumdogg, 06 December 2007 - 09:07 PM.

A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#14 Safeatsecond

Safeatsecond

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 53 posts

Posted 07 December 2007 - 09:21 AM

The Ben10 mini figures remind me of Crazy bones, of which my daughters, meaning me by default ;) , have WAY too many.

:o

Woah! Those little things are cool! Now I'd say they remind me of Mini Boglins. I've already gone ahead and ordered a bunch... for research purposes. :D

I like the Aliens the best. Their eyes are glow in the dark. As for the rest, my only complaint is it's next to impossible to keep the colours straight, plus the toothpasties and pearlies aren't blaringly obvious. It's hard to tell which is which.

I got a couple of boxes on E-bay last year, I think they're still floating around. There were Marvel, Dragonball and Disney Crazy Bones as well. Smaller sets and runs I think.

#15 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5097 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 15 January 2008 - 01:55 PM

With enough time (I'm home, no internet, have to go to the library to use it), I can identify each and every kaiju in this series. The one Soupie labels as his favorite, I know offhand, is from Return of Ultraman.

#16 el midgetron

el midgetron

Squirrel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1401 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 09:15 PM

I got some of those when I was a kid. They werent in a plastic can though, they were in a plastic bag with header card and there were something like 6-8 in a packaged, I never had 15 of them when I was younger. I only got one pack and still have the figures but I have added to the collection in recent years. I will check to see if I have the original size or smaller US ones, however I think the newer addtions to my collection came from Japan. Those have also been re-released in all tan (color) of which I have a bunch of.
Posted Image

#17 el midgetron

el midgetron

Squirrel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1401 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:41 PM

I shot photos of most of my collection of these, and then some. Not really sure if its of interest but here goes.

These are the ones I have from my childhood. I think the package I got must have been a japanses import, it was a smaller toy store I got them in (in another town). I also specificaly remember picking the pack becuase it had a green godzila-(ish) figure (center of photo below).
Posted Image

Posted Image

These are some boots I picked up at a super-secret toy story located in the heart of lake michigan last summer. They are a harder plastic, like muscles.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I got these off YJ I think. Like the boots above they seem to be a combination of various kaiju sculpts.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by el midgetron, 17 January 2008 - 10:04 PM.

Posted Image

#18 el midgetron

el midgetron

Squirrel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1401 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:49 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The 2 red ultraman figures came with that lot, not sure if they were a part of that release or not.

Random kinkeshi.

Posted Image
Posted Image

#19 el midgetron

el midgetron

Squirrel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1401 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 09:54 PM

Some other sculpts, I assume are from another series -

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

The following fiures are larger, about 3 inches in size but of the same kinkeshi rubber.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by el midgetron, 17 January 2008 - 10:02 PM.

Posted Image

#20 el midgetron

el midgetron

Squirrel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1401 posts

Posted 17 January 2008 - 10:06 PM

I picked these up on eBay. They are some sorry-arse boots but I love the smog monester. They are made of a harder plastic.

Posted Image

Posted Image

peace -
Posted Image

#21 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5097 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 18 January 2008 - 12:48 PM

These are the ones I have from my childhood. I think the package I got must have been a japanses import, it was a smaller toy store I got them in (in another town). I also specificaly remember picking the pack becuase it had a green godzila-(ish) figure (center of photo below).
Posted Image

Windam, unknown, can't tell from only that angle (Muruchi?), Pegasus Seijin, probably Elder Tortoise.

Nobody seemed to care about my offer, so I'll just take the liberty of identifying yours now. :angry:

Posted Image

Sadora, Bado Seijin, Nogokirin, Burako Seijin, don't even recognize that one.

These are some boots I picked up at a super-secret toy story located in the heart of lake michigan last summer. They are a harder plastic, like muscles.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Gairos, Eleking, can't tell, Burako Seijin, Dancan.
King Joe, forgot, Furote Seijin, Bado Seijin, Gairos.
Most of these are from Ultraseven, the ones I couldn't name are probably as well.

I got these off YJ I think. Like the boots above they seem to be a combination of various kaiju sculpts.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Zarab Seijin, Woo, Zaragas, Guts Seijin, Jiras (Godzilla with a frill!), Gigas.
Icarus Seijin, Banila, Neronga? (bad angle), Dodongo, Baltan Seijin, Red King.
Dada, ?, ?, Metron Seijin, Bell Seijin.
Gyeron, Eleking, Goldon, ?, Furote Seijin, Antlar.

The remaining couple are probably from Ultraman or Ultraseven and just too unclear or my memory's not good enough to recognize them.

Edited by Boaconda, 18 January 2008 - 12:49 PM.

#22 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 08:29 AM

I got some of those when I was a kid. They werent in a plastic can though, they were in a plastic bag with header card and there were something like 6-8 in a packaged, I never had 15 of them when I was younger. I only got one pack and still have the figures but I have added to the collection in recent years. I will check to see if I have the original size or smaller US ones, however I think the newer addtions to my collection came from Japan. Those have also been re-released in all tan (color) of which I have a bunch of.

Wow, that is quite an impressive collection of Ultraman keshi, Midge. Thanks for sharing! Do you recall what the header card said? What the "name" of the toys was?

Also, did you determine whether your figures are "standard" sized? Here's a look at the size difference between Japanese Ultraman keshi and Canfull/Monster Toss American keshi:

Posted Image
Posted Image

#23 el midgetron

el midgetron

Squirrel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1401 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 02:15 PM

Wow, that is quite an impressive collection of Ultraman keshi, Midge. Thanks for sharing! Do you recall what the header card said? What the "name" of the toys was?

Also, did you determine whether your figures are "standard" sized? Here's a look at the size difference between Japanese Ultraman keshi and Canfull/Monster Toss American keshi:

I can't really remember the header card but I think it might have been in Japanese. After looking at my figures I think there must have been 10 or 12 in the bag, but I know they didn't come in a trash-can because I could see the figures. They are Japanese size I believe.
Posted Image

#24 el midgetron

el midgetron

Squirrel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1401 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 04:24 PM

Just a heads up, I have sets of the black bootlegs available in the "got toys" section if anyone is interested. http://www.littlerub...showtopic=21880

Posted Image
Posted Image

#25 shocklord

shocklord

カネゴン

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 05:19 AM

Posted Image

Sadora, Bado Seijin, Nogokirin, Burako Seijin, don't even recognize that one.

I'm pretty sure the last one is バラキドン (Barakidon), the infamous chicken monster from 流星人間ゾーン (Ryuusei Ningen Zon aka "Zone Fighter") though it's hard to see from the picture.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com