21 replies to this topic

#1 Gidiot

Gidiot

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:32 AM

Hi we at Allscaletrek.com  ( http://allscaletrek....&p=39249#p39249 ) have been trying to identify a piece that looks to us to be a hatch, vehicle cockpit, or other type of moveable cover and were hoping someone might be able to help identify it.   So this was used in 1987-1990 as an "kit bash" for Star Trek: The Next Generation.  it was used specifically in 2 ships. (both pictured below.   we are looking at the coffin shaped pod on the first ship and the harder to see box holding the smaller engines on the second ship.   Both ships were seen for about ½ a second in the Episode "Best of Both Worlds" (1990).  the second ship was probably made early on as it was the Prototype for a ship that was made in the first season (1987)  I have also included a coned in view of the piece at the right you can see the nobs which make us think it is a hatch or door.  The "bottom" view of the second ship shows that it has not backside which also adds credence to our guess of a hatch.  

Any help would be great!

Thank you!

Attached Files

Edited by Gidiot, 19 January 2016 - 07:34 AM.

#2 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 19 January 2016 - 10:54 AM

It appears to me that you have identified the piece, unless I am missing something from your post. What are you trying to discover?

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#3 Gidiot

Gidiot

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 12:12 PM

We don't know what toy that piece came from. Michael Okuda ( Star Trek production designer) thought it was from Robotix, Rick Sternbach (Star Trek designer) said it was more likely from another toy. The picture is of the actual shooting miniature they used 26 years ago. And unfortunately these are the only known images.

#4 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 19 January 2016 - 05:21 PM

I think I understand what you're getting at now. Unfortunately I can't help, but hopefully somebody here can!

Good luck!

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#5 Harigorasu

Harigorasu

Collecting Budder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts
  • Interests:Toys: robots or monsters, '70s to present.

Posted 19 January 2016 - 06:10 PM

I'm 99% certain this is not a Robotix part. I had loads of Robotix, and this is not how any of the canopies hinged on the cockpit parts.

It looks extremely very familiar to me though, somewhere in my subconscious I know this part, it's a cockpit canopy for something I once had.

I'll dig around to the best of my ability. I've annotated the photo to highlight some features that are obscured by the modelmakers treatment of the part:

The two small rectangles I'm fairly certain were glued on by the model makers. (Red arrows)

Because of the paint it is hard to see the border ridge and the two small raised ridges toward the left. (Green highlight)

The hinge part of the canopy is on the right; The canopy opens forward. (Blue highlight)

Attached File  Canopy annotated.png   126.45K   3 downloads

I've looked at:

Air Raiders toys, Laser Force toys, M.A.S.K. vehicles, Coleco Starcom vehicles, Robotix cockpit canopies, Construx cockpit canopies. It doesn't appear to be from any of these lines.

Edited by Harigorasu, 19 January 2016 - 06:16 PM.

Slowly paying off 40 years of lost/broken/confiscated toy karma with my hard-earned cash by re-accumulating:

M.U.S.C.L.E./Battle Beasts/Fistful of Power/Keshi/Trash Bag Bunch/Z-Bots/SOMA Robots, Ninjas, Monsters & Wrestlers/vending toys/Slurfies/Uggly Wugglies /

Capsule Chogokin/G1 Transformers/Bot Shots/POPY Machine Robo/Bandai Scale Robo/Go Bots/Tomy Starriors & Zoids/Starcom Shadow Parasites/

Select Convertors/Rock Lords/Takara Kronoform/Orguss/'80s rayguns/Sega TYCO Pocket Power/Diener Spacemen & Dinosaurs

Knockoffs One-offs & Bootlegs or any combination of the above.

:M:

#6 Gidiot

Gidiot

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:02 PM

Thanks!  I will also keep searching and will look for it with out the added parts!!!!  Thank you again!

#7 Harigorasu

Harigorasu

Collecting Budder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 22 January 2016 - 07:16 PM

Still looking! (LOL)

Does not appear to be a Silverhawks, Marvel Super Powers, Tek Force, G.I. Joe or Captain Power canopy either.

Edited by Harigorasu, 23 January 2016 - 01:51 PM.

Slowly paying off 40 years of lost/broken/confiscated toy karma with my hard-earned cash by re-accumulating:

M.U.S.C.L.E./Battle Beasts/Fistful of Power/Keshi/Trash Bag Bunch/Z-Bots/SOMA Robots, Ninjas, Monsters & Wrestlers/vending toys/Slurfies/Uggly Wugglies /

Capsule Chogokin/G1 Transformers/Bot Shots/POPY Machine Robo/Bandai Scale Robo/Go Bots/Tomy Starriors & Zoids/Starcom Shadow Parasites/

Select Convertors/Rock Lords/Takara Kronoform/Orguss/'80s rayguns/Sega TYCO Pocket Power/Diener Spacemen & Dinosaurs

#8 Gidiot

Gidiot

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 26 January 2016 - 11:21 PM

I am beginning to think that the piece is from 1989-1990 as  the first time the models they were USED was the first episode of Season 4, 1990.  it's possible they didn't even make the kit bashes until that in between the seasons break....     so I think I'm narrowing down the time frame.

#9 Harigorasu

Harigorasu

Collecting Budder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:14 PM

Thanks for the info, I'm still scanning pics of toylines from mid-'80s - 1990 that include vehicles with canopies or hatches. Talk about a needle in a haystack!

#10 Gidiot

Gidiot

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 February 2016 - 11:20 PM

So I was thinking Mike Okuda one of the production designers thought Robotix.... (we know it can't be as there are no pieces like this one)  then I see they used Robotech parts.... the Invid Shock Trooper leg and cannon are used as a phaser (gun) - see the image...Attached File  CavBJHyUkAAQ25w.jpg   40.5K   2 downloads...

maybe it was a Robotech part... it seems close but not quite right for the Glaug (Officer's Battlepod)Attached File  2839775154_7a16b2ae83_z.jpg   92.81K   2 downloadsAttached File  IMG_1002.jpg   78.73K   1 downloadsAttached File  IMG_0998.jpg   83.38K   1 downloads.   see the images below... the Hinge is wrong... (it's not raised).  I just don't know how else to search... my use of google is not really helping... I keep getting the same images at this point.

#11 Harigorasu

Harigorasu

Collecting Budder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 03:18 AM

This is a good thought- Robotech had a lot of toys with canopies.

I'm still digging too, I'll post if I find any good candidates.

#12 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog

Duck President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4202 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 05:32 AM

Does anyone else get the horrible feeling that dozens of beautiful vintage Robotech toys are going to be butchered imminently? :)

<span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#8b0000;">Stuff I'm selling: <strong><a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=220814">Madballs Water Squirters</a> *</strong></span> <strong><a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=154077">Gormiti</a> * <a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=148080">Miscellaneous (MIMP, FOA etc)</a></strong></span><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#808000;">Stuff I really need:</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=235893"><strong>HERE</strong></a></span><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#008000;">Stuff I collect:</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...showtopic=44163"><strong>Gormiti</strong></a></span><br><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#4b0082;">Get your own easy-to-use</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...ndpost&p=264795"><strong>M.U.S.C.L.E.</strong></a> <span style="color:#4b0082;">or</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...08"><strong>MIMP Series 1/2</strong></a> <span style="color:#4b0082;">checklists!</span></span>

#13 Harigorasu

Harigorasu

Collecting Budder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 10 February 2016 - 12:38 PM

I would hope not! I think they're just trying to determine which parts Sternback & Okuda used for the original prop model.

I would hope any trekkers wishing to reproduce said model would know enough of vintage collectability and condition to make a cast of the original part.

...I would hope... :huh:

#14 Gidiot

Gidiot

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 11 February 2016 - 07:10 PM

Yes it would be casted. !!!!

#15 Gidiot

Gidiot

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 08:12 AM

So! we have some Better pictures of the elusive part... and i think that they will help with the search!

#16 Gidiot

Gidiot

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 February 2016 - 05:53 PM

So, I'm not as convinced that it IS a door (canopy) now... the Extended "sides" make me wonder...

#17 Gidiot

Gidiot

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 21 February 2016 - 10:02 PM

So I've cropped in to the part I'm trying to find.  Hopefully this will help figure out what it is!  thanks again!

Attached Files

#18 imperfecz

imperfecz

Götter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4302 posts
  • Interests:stuff n stuff

Posted 21 February 2016 - 10:16 PM

Likely looking at model kit parts from around that time. Not that that narrows anything down.

#19 Harigorasu

Harigorasu

Collecting Budder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 07:06 PM

This part still looks so familiar to me, and yet I'm stumped.

The tabs on the sides, the square projection on the underside, it's all so familiar but I can't place it. :wallbash:

#20 Gidiot

Gidiot

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 22 February 2016 - 11:15 PM

I know right?  It'll be one of those things that once someone figures it out we'll be like "DUH".... 

#21 Gidiot

Gidiot

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 05 March 2016 - 09:04 AM

well,  I'm out of ideas,  thanks Harigorasu for trying!   I've exhausted every search wording I could think of for this part.   I just don't know what else do do.

#22 Harigorasu

Harigorasu

Collecting Budder

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 06 March 2016 - 09:46 PM

I'm still passively looking, but not one solid candidate yet. :(

If I find anything promising I'll post here.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com