46 replies to this topic

#1 Bhayes1

Bhayes1

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:09 AM

i mean seriously. i mean there are no dvds, no toys, and they put alot of effort into the fighting games while using the voice cast for the video games. and the show is dead.

personally i think the show suffers from lack of exposure. had this show had a regular spot on toonami it would have had great ratings. and then the japanese studio refused to animate more eps. but that's no excuse to not have any dvds.

#2 Stecase King

Stecase King

Better than the otter

• Legends
  • 778 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:41 AM

It was actually very successful at first, it's popularity just died VERY quickly.
Posted Image

#3 SpectreSuperSix5

SpectreSuperSix5

I am not a number. I'm a free man

• Old Guard
  • 2598 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, M.U.S.C.L.E., Xbox 360, firearms, grilling, muscle cars, zombies, and Cartoon Network.

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:38 AM

The Americanized version was butchered by censors and the annoying voice actors. I much prefer the import with subtitles.
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast

#4 KnuxieChan

KnuxieChan

German Beefcake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:01 AM

I liked the dub. 8| But that's just me. Everyone always blames the VAs but sometimes it's not their faults. They just do what the voice director tells them to do.

4Kids aimed it towards the wrong demography. And thanks to Kid Muscle being the main character, one look at him can totally shut off people to the series. When I'm cosplaying someone from UM and people ask what I'm from, they usually remember it by "the ugly guy with the fish lips?"

It seems like most people want their animes to be uber serious and with the UM dub.. you really needed a good sense of humor to appreciate it.

#5 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 06:01 AM

There was a previous topic about this... check it out here:

http://www.littlerub...?showtopic=6991

My response is a quite a bit more cynical than most. Maybe I was taking my Veers pill that day. But it's no secret that I wasn't a big fan of the cartoon.

http://www.littlerub...d...ost&p=67447

#6 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 08:04 AM

They didn't push it to the right demographic. If it had been a lead-in to Adult Swim (like where they had Futurama), I'm sure it would've done MUCH better. That, and some really stupid Americanization, like the 'boy band' or 'broken hip' fiascos.

The cartoon was truly brilliant! There's some genuinly funny lines and some GREAT characterizations. I thought the vocal talent was nearly spotless, and the not-a-7-year-old jokes were hilarious.

...unfortunatly, they put it on Saturday mornings, the time when most people who would've appriciated it were probably hung over. Or still playing Everquest from last night and almost asleep.
Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

And you are here, with them, as so many specks of sand.

#7 Matto

Matto

D:<

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1849 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 09:24 AM

4Kids aimed it towards the wrong demography. And thanks to Kid Muscle being the main character, one look at him can totally shut off people to the series.

People have no imagination then.

Ultimate Muscle was a wonderful show, yes, but as I will point out in an essay I'm planning, there were many things that kept it from becoming the success it deserved to be. As Orgg already pointed out, it was shown to the WRONG audience. Not only that, the script got handed the 4kids treatment, which on a posistive side mocked the show brilliantly, but gave some really stupid lines. Orgg is not making up the broken hip thing, it was seriously used on a dying character.

That, it was also on the FoxBox. Besides TMNT, did you watch FoxBox for anything else? Of course not. All 4kids had was crap, and their Kirby dub was horrid. (The sub version makes my inner Kirby fan cry in delight)

Now then...

I mean seriously. There are no dvds, no toys, and they put alot of effort into the fighting games while using the voice cast for the video games. The show is dead.

Personally I think the show suffers from lack of exposure. Had this show been shown in a regular spot on toonami it would have had great ratings. Now the japanese studio refuses to animate more eps. But that's no excuse to not have any dvds.

This sounds alot better. First, the DVD issue has been touched based on a couple of times by myself personally. FUNi mentioned something ways back, but nothing has come with that. Also, the people who have the final say in DVDs is Toei themselves. If we speak out more, Toei might, hopefully, do something with the license.

Hopefully.
Mantaro gasped as Kid pulled him closer, reaching for his mask.

#8 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 10:09 AM

i mean seriously. i mean there are no dvds, no toys, and they put alot of effort into the fighting games while using the voice cast for the video games. and the show is dead.

personally i think the show suffers from lack of exposure. had this show had a regular spot on toonami it would have had great ratings. and then the japanese studio refused to animate more eps. but that's no excuse to not have any dvds.

There were toys, but they didn't last very long. 6.5" figures and 1.5" micro wrestlers put out by Bandai. Even a cheesy card game that came with translucent micro figures.
The 6.5" figures had cheap paint apps, and all of the toys had lousy distribution/placement in the stores.

The cartoon did well enough that 4Kids commissioned 26 new episodes from Toei. I think a big downer was slot placement and the fact that they ran 2 episodes each Saturday for the first season, compressing Japan's two seasons into one of ours. It also didn't help that almost every episode had Kid Muscle wrestling. I loved the series, as did my kids, but seeing Kid wrestle all the time and ignoring the other players really did suck. The Choujin Crown arc was AWESOME though!
If you PM me, I can help you out with DVDs of the first 51 episodes. However, eps 52-77 aren't available yet on DVD. No ETA though, as the, um production crew is a bit busy at the moment.

I hear that Cartoon Network is showing the series in other countries, and since 4Kids no longer has the license, I don't see why CN isn't airing it here in the US.

#9 Aelia

Aelia

Spess Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:28 PM

Well, I think almost everyone else said it best, so there isn't much I could really add to it.

Well, except that when I look back on it, I wasn't really bothered by the significant changes 4kids did. Now, they make me RRRRRAAAAGE.

Edited by Aelia, 03 March 2009 - 01:29 PM.

#10 Bhayes1

Bhayes1

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:29 PM

There were toys, but they didn't last very long. 6.5" figures and 1.5" micro wrestlers put out by Bandai. Even a cheesy card game that came with translucent micro figures.
The 6.5" figures had cheap paint apps, and all of the toys had lousy distribution/placement in the stores.

The cartoon did well enough that 4Kids commissioned 26 new episodes from Toei. I think a big downer was slot placement and the fact that they ran 2 episodes each Saturday for the first season, compressing Japan's two seasons into one of ours. It also didn't help that almost every episode had Kid Muscle wrestling. I loved the series, as did my kids, but seeing Kid wrestle all the time and ignoring the other players really did suck. The Choujin Crown arc was AWESOME though!
If you PM me, I can help you out with DVDs of the first 51 episodes. However, eps 52-77 aren't available yet on DVD. No ETA though, as the, um production crew is a bit busy at the moment.

I hear that Cartoon Network is showing the series in other countries, and since 4Kids no longer has the license, I don't see why CN isn't airing it here in the US.

thaks guys. i mean seriously. i accept that the show is dead. i just want some quality box sets. that's all. just something to give us fans what we want. i mean i would've liked for the kid to had more adventures but 77 episodes and story arcs that are complete is enough for me. one day i'll buy a playstation and get the galactic wrestling game. but for now i just want the episodes. jkaris how do i PM you?

i actually disagree with the kid muscle wrestling every ep. the kid is the funniest character along with mac metaphor & doc nokano. the voice actor who played the Kid really brought life to the character. the kid is the show along with the supporting characters. the funniest episode is where kid battles pumpinator. i love that one it is the funniest of them all. so many great one-liners. or the one where kid battles barrier free-man. classic! i like that one because i used to live with my grandparents and i understand the old people thing. i was on the floor laughing till i had tears.

i also agree that they pushed the show to the wrong audience. i personally feel that had they had re-runs on toonami 4-5 pm and aired it in a daily format it would still be on the air. and maybe they could have had it over the internet sinmilar to the what hulu does.

dragonball z is popular because it got LOTS of exposure and now its wildy popular and its a merchandise phenomenon. but i'm now realizing that Dragonaball is a pinheaded cartoon. but the funi dub ruins it even further but because it had aired on the WB at first and then funi and CN aired it so much along with mobile suit gundam wing back in 1998-2000 and at that time toonami was pretty much the only action cartoon block on TV at the time. So thus it got great ratings and now we have a live action film of dragonball.

ultimate muscle is a great show i would say its the best edited dub ever done. had they had the same voice actors, directors and more accurate scripts but maintain 90 % of the new american elements in the dub. like for examples Dik Dik Van Dik is better as opposed to Giselle man. Jeager sounds better and is funnier than Jade Monsieur Cheeks is funnier than puripurman Hollywood Bowl is way funnier than Wash Ass MAn The ethnicity of a few characters were changed. Check Mate and Geronimo became British, Buffaloman became Russian, The Ninja became American .

and i know some of you may disagree but butt buster sounds WAY funnier that kinniku buster. i don't mind them changing it halfway thru the series but BUTT buster sounded way funnier.

and had it aired along with future-rama it would be a classic. it would still be on the air. there are times in the show where its obvious that the characters are in japan but thanks to clever digital shading and the script they talk as though they are living in Los Angeles, California. so i would've made so that its more clear that the characters when on earth are in japan.

but the dub is just too brilliant. next to the kid doc nokano and mac metaphor are the funniest. i love the "bug on my rug" lines.

so had they did that it would still be on.

but since it is now a dead show i just wants some dvds for christ sakes. that's all. the mature humor one-liners

Edited by Bhayes1, 03 March 2009 - 01:53 PM.

#11 Bhayes1

Bhayes1

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:44 PM

IS IT OKAY FOR ME TO POST LINKS TO WHERE TO DOWNLOAD EPISODES?

I'M SURE WE ALL KNOW THAT SOMEONE HAS PUT SOME EPS ON YOUTUBE.

#12 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 01:56 PM

Yes. the US license is expired, so go for it.

#13 Bhayes1

Bhayes1

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:08 PM

Yes. the US license is expired, so go for it.

honestly since the us license is expired does that mean we will never see a dvd release? i don't know how these things work with dubbing and what not.

can funimation buy the liscense and release it? or no?

okay people this is what we got. some gracious soul did this for us. this is all we got for now. its not fair but we have to keep our heads up. if someone outthere can just license the 4kids dub and release it. it would be nice.

http://forum.cartoon...php?f=52&t=3358

Edited by Bhayes1, 03 March 2009 - 02:11 PM.

#14 Matto

Matto

D:<

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1849 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:12 PM

Toei is more of the concern here then wondering who will license Nisei and/or Kinnikuman. After the mess they got themselves in with Dub Peice and 4kids, they think twice before handing any of their licenses off to ANYONE.

Please do. Are they English dubbed, Japanese Raws or Spanish dubbed?

I would really prefer the first two, but that's just me.
Mantaro gasped as Kid pulled him closer, reaching for his mask.

#15 Bhayes1

Bhayes1

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:16 PM

Toei is more of the concern here then wondering who will license Nisei and/or Kinnikuman. After the mess they got themselves in with Dub Peice and 4kids, they think twice before handing any of their licenses off to ANYONE.

Please do. Are they English dubbed, Japanese Raws or Spanish dubbed?

I would really prefer the first two, but that's just me.

yes the english version. i prefer the english version. i have seen the japan version. and honestly the japanese version is way TOO serious. its not as nearly as funny. meat sounds like alittle school boy instead of a expereinced veteran trainer. kid muscle is funny but not as nearly as he is in the american verison.

i personally feel the music and the new script and one-liners and name changes really UPGRADE the comedy to epic proportions.

but its different. i mean Toei can basically make some money off this. that's all. i mean they're a japanese company. so i guess i can understand but nisei was not successful in their country. and UM has a loyal following here in america. its not like i want someone else to dub it.

i have two wishes. 1) somebody get UM back on the air 2) release a box set of the show. that's it.

Edited by Bhayes1, 03 March 2009 - 02:20 PM.

#16 Aelia

Aelia

Spess Wolf

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:26 PM

Well, I don't really have anything better to do...so I'll express my views on some of what Bhayes1 just said.

dragonball z is popular because it got LOTS of exposure and now its wildy popular and its a merchandise phenomenon. but i'm now realizing that Dragonaball is a pinheaded cartoon. but the funi dub ruins it even further but because it had aired on the WB at first and then funi and CN aired it so much along with mobile suit gundam wing back in 1998-2000 and at that time toonami was pretty much the only action cartoon block on TV at the time. So thus it got great ratings and now we have a live action film of dragonball.

...Hey, I'm a Dragonball fan too. >=(

ultimate muscle is a great show i would say its the best edited dub ever done. had they had the same voice actors, directors and more accurate scripts but maintain 90 % of the new american elements in the dub. like for examples Dik Dik Van Dik is better as opposed to Giselle man. Jeager sounds better and is funnier than Jade Monsieur Cheeks is funnier than puripurman Hollywood Bowl is way funnier than Wash Ass MAn The ethnicity of a few characters were changed. Check Mate and Geronimo became British, Buffaloman became Russian, The Ninja became American .

Well, I will say that Ultimate Muscle was the best dub that 4kids ever did that wasn't Pokemon. And that Dik Dik Van Dik is more amusing to say than Gazelleman.

I don't mind so many of the ethnicity changes, but Beatlebomb is quite possibly the worst name change 4kids has ever done.

and i know some of you may disagree but butt buster sounds WAY funnier that kinniku buster. i don't mind them changing it halfway thru the series but BUTT buster sounded way funnier.

Well, sometimes it's not just about being funny. Kinnikuman can be quite hilarious at times, but it can also be quite serious and full of action at the same time. To me, the Kinniku Buster as well as many other moves represents Kinnikuman's serious wrestling prowess. Same goes for Mantaro/Kid Muscle.

#17 musclemenkids

musclemenkids

Stompin' on your face!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1598 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:39 PM

Well i was superly dissapointed - not with the show, with the way the effed it up over here in the UK i cannot remember how many episodes they showed, but they showed a fraction of them, then repeated them then that was it...gone!!

I loved it when it was on and would dearly love to have a DVD release but the chances of seeing a region 2 dvd release is pretty darn low - stoopit tv execs knowing nothing about anything except bar graphs and pie charts!! Curse them and their red suspenders and filofaxes and cellphones the size of small houses!!
"FRUIT OOZE IS WETLY LEWD SO
STAY DRY IN RUBBER BOOTS AND.."

#18 Blackbeard D. Kuma

Blackbeard D. Kuma

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 02:43 PM

I have no qualms with what you've said, except for this. Why do you feel that DragonBall is a pinheaded cartoon?

#19 Acidonia

Acidonia

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 650 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 03:03 PM

Well i was superly dissapointed - not with the show, with the way the effed it up over here in the UK i cannot remember how many episodes they showed, but they showed a fraction of them, then repeated them then that was it...gone!!

I loved it when it was on and would dearly love to have a DVD release but the chances of seeing a region 2 dvd release is pretty darn low - stoopit tv execs knowing nothing about anything except bar graphs and pie charts!! Curse them and their red suspenders and filofaxes and cellphones the size of small houses!!

Toonami did air all episodes loads of times in order but at diffrent times in the UK somthing they never did with dragon ball the last Arc never got repeated once. The thing that makes me sad is that Bandai never gave us any of the toys or games in Europe there like this with Digimon too though as well in Europe we have got no new toys for like 4 years or Games even though theres been 3 on the DS Alone. And I really liked the show I would of loved the ps2 game but we never got it due to the fact Bandai don'nt have a european factory to make games here (Neither dose namco) so had to get other publishers to bring out their games here.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#20 Bhayes1

Bhayes1

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 05:19 PM

maybe an overseas company could license it?

maybe somebody in australia or the UK could do a region 2 or 4 release?

some of the shows that have aired on Jetix have gotten a dvd release in those countries.

#21 KnuxieChan

KnuxieChan

German Beefcake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 07:39 PM

I think you're getting your hopes too high, kid.

As for Meat, he's supposed to sound like a young kid.. because he is. Look at the original manga/anime. XD;; I'll admit I liked the Nisei character name changes, but hated the Legend changes (Like Geronimo, Shivano... Making Buffaloman Russian. whut?)

The thing with the anime is, you have to sort of view the Japanese and English as too seperate animes. They both have their good and bad points.

#22 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 03 March 2009 - 07:45 PM

i only ever saw the foxbox promo video for it when i worked at toys r us... didnt care for it so i never checked it out.

#23 Stecase King

Stecase King

Better than the otter

• Legends
  • 778 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 12:10 AM

okay people this is what we got. some gracious soul did this for us. this is all we got for now. its not fair but we have to keep our heads up. if someone outthere can just license the 4kids dub and release it. it would be nice.

The registration e-mail isn't working for me. Which episodes do they have listed?
Posted Image

#24 Bhayes1

Bhayes1

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:26 AM

The registration e-mail isn't working for me. Which episodes do they have listed?

first 4 eps and eps 31-50.

go to youtube.com to get eps 38, 59,68,77

but its all we got

if we had the show divided in to box sets would we see one box or two or three.

personally i would have it go like this for dvd sets

THE DMP SAGA

GENERATION X Saga

Grusome Threesome & Poison Six Pack Sagas

The Chojin Crown Saga.

#25 KnuxieChan

KnuxieChan

German Beefcake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts

Posted 04 March 2009 - 04:56 AM

PM Jkaris. Click his name > Send Message.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com