- - - - -

My Search for MUSCLE Answers

• Please log in to reply
148 replies to this topic

#76 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2003 - 06:20 AM

As for the "foreign figures" theory, I wonder if there's any way to check out the Latin American MUSCLE line. Is there a Latin American Ebay site or something that we could try looking into?

I've checked I think Ebay Brazil, or either Yahoo Auctions Brazil?

I've never had any luck.

#77 arforbes

arforbes

I lied, I cheated, I got banned!

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6788 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 08:58 AM

I think the only way to really tell if the super-rares are choking hazards is for somebody to try to swallow SHA's head or BHS's chest. Alex, since you have both, I think you're elected! If you survive, then they obviously aren't choking risks!

I could do that yes, but then I 'd have to look through my poop to get the parts back in like a day or two, and that would just be gross. :lol:

Damn, I think I may have started another poop discussion. :p

:lol:
AKA Yapiel, AKA balucard
I was banned! Read ALL about it! http://www.littlerub...showtopic=23333

#1 on the LRG Dishonest Members list!

#78 Adamantiumwulf

Adamantiumwulf

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1900 posts
  • Interests:Sega Master System and Segas other Consoles and games., Legos
    Transformers
    Baseball cards
    various action figures

Posted 16 July 2003 - 11:33 AM

All of my 4 packs have the same copyright date of 1985.

There may not have been a huge delay between them releasing the flesh packs, flesh/colored and colored packs. They could have just been waiting on a large enough quantity of them to be produced to fill orders or there estimates.
"I've always believed that a lot of the trouble in the world would disappear if we were talking to each other instead of about each other." Ronald Regan - April 11, 1984

#79 phillymadison

phillymadison

phillymadison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1044 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 02:41 PM

If the 4-packs with offer came out first, then the poster offer would be available, then unavailable, then available again (multi-colored packs)... all with the same deadline.  It's possible, but very strange.

well that makes sence seeing that there are diffrent posters flesh, and colored (and multi-colored???)

The flesh figures first came out they made posters for them
they ran out of flesh posters but still had Flesh figures so they took off the offer

next the colored ones came out new figures new poster
they ran out of posters but still had colored muscles so they took the offer off again

this makes alot of sence to me at least

as for Alex swallowing his Super rare parts i bet ya they will stay intack (a little smelly but in tack)

MUSCLE plastic is indestructable I think they use it on spaceships and stuff lol j/k

Edited by phillymadison, 16 July 2003 - 02:42 PM.

The Only True Measure Of Success Of Any Hobby Is How Much You Enjoy Participating in it.
--------------------------------

View What M.U.S.C.L.E.'s I Have For Trade And Sale On muscledb.com CLICK HERE

#80 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 04:02 PM

The flesh figures first came out they made posters for them
they ran out of flesh posters but still had Flesh figures so they took off the offer

next the colored ones came out new figures new poster
they ran out of posters but still had colored muscles so they took the offer off again

this makes alot of sence to me at least

Yeah, actually that does make sense. And it does make more sense that the poster offers were printed on the first run since I think that Satan Cross was probably cancelled relatively early in the line (and his pack had the poster offer).

But, I would wonder why Mattel wouldn't have different expiration dates for the different posters. If they were making more posters, I would think that they would extend the offer, especially if it was popular enough to warrant a new poster run.

Does anybody have a 28-pack without the poster offer? Just curious, because I'm not sure if I've ever seen one...

-Nathan

#81 doc_moore_j

doc_moore_j

LRG Elite

• Legends
  • 4374 posts
  • Interests:Muscle men, and Kinnikuman

Posted 16 July 2003 - 04:57 PM

Ok guys, this is what I came up with:

16 color ten packs, all dated 85' and all English, dist Hawthorne Cali
4 mixed ten packs, all dated 85' and all English.
2 flesh ten packs, all dated 85' and all English.

9 colored four packs, no poster offer, all dated 85' and all English, dist Hawthorne Cali
2 mixed four packs, with poster, all dated 85' and all English, dist Hawthorne Cali
2 flesh four packs, with poster, all dated 85' and all English, dist Hawthorne Cali
1 SC flesh four pack, with poster, dated 85' and English, dist Hawthorne Cali

#82 arforbes

arforbes

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6788 posts

Posted 16 July 2003 - 07:25 PM

Does anybody have a 28-pack without the poster offer? Just curious, because I'm not sure if I've ever seen one...

-Nathan

When I was buying these on ebay during my quest for my collection, I remember seeing the 28-Packs without the poster offer. I am almost 100% sure there were no poster offers on the all colored 28-Packs.

:lol:
AKA Yapiel, AKA balucard

#83 phillymadison

phillymadison

phillymadison

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1044 posts

Posted 17 July 2003 - 02:08 PM

I only have one 28 pack and its an all flesh 28 pack and it has the poster offer on it

it also shows a pic of what the poster should look like but its not what the poster looks like

It shows a white poster with ring ropes (I think) as a boarder around the figures pretty wierd
The Only True Measure Of Success Of Any Hobby Is How Much You Enjoy Participating in it.
--------------------------------

View What M.U.S.C.L.E.'s I Have For Trade And Sale On muscledb.com CLICK HERE

#84 arforbes

arforbes

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6788 posts

Posted 17 July 2003 - 04:22 PM

I only have one 28 pack and its an all flesh 28 pack and it has the poster offer on it

it also shows a pic of what the poster should look like but its not what the poster looks like

It shows a white poster with ring ropes (I think) as a boarder around the figures pretty wierd

I have seen that poster too, but only as the pic offered for the poster description. I wonder if that prototype version actually exists.

:stupid:
AKA Yapiel, AKA balucard

#85 M.u.s.c.l.e. God

M.u.s.c.l.e. God

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 09:33 PM

My Black Hole Sunshine was from the North East PA area. They seem to have been from North East USA or Canada...

#86 arforbes

arforbes

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6788 posts

Posted 20 August 2003 - 10:36 PM

My Black Hole Sunshine was from the North East PA area. They seem to have been from North East USA or Canada...

I wish I could remember the location of the seller who sold me my Blackhole Sunshine figure. It may have been in relatively the same area, but I can't remember the seller who sold me the figure or the state the package was shipped from. :p

B)
AKA Yapiel, AKA balucard

#87 MUSCLETOYS

MUSCLETOYS

Happily stuck in the past

• Legends
  • 355 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E., Keshi, Minifigs, Baseball Cards, Travel, Disc Golf, Bigfoot, Pizza, Beer

Posted 16 September 2003 - 07:58 PM

Does anybody have a 28-pack without the poster offer? Just curious, because I'm not sure if I've ever seen one... -Nathan

I have a mighty maulers set (#3) that doesn't have the offer on it.

#88 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2004 - 07:27 AM

Here's some important information regarding the origin of SHA. Erokx, a new member, is selling his SHA and said the following…

Hello All, I am the seller of this Spinning Head you are discussing. As per the urging of arforbes (Alex), I decided to check out your forum. To shed a little light on who I am: I have always been more of a casual MUSCLE collector. I had MUSCLE's as a kid and started picking up original flesh colored guys in the late 90's. My real collecting passion is for vintage Star Wars and Robotech. In the mid-90's I began aquiring collections of 80's toys from college kids, friends and basically anyone I could find! As my personal collection grew, the doubles and extras started piling up. In the late 90's I opened a shop at a Flea Market here in Buffalo. Partially to fund my passion for toys and partly just to get rid of all the extras. Over the years I aquired literally 100's of collections of 80's toys. I became "THE GI Joe Guy" here in town. The best items found their way to my collection and the rest got sold, MUSCLE's included. A couple years ago I got a better job and a wife and had to give up the toy business. I no longer had the time to devote my weekends to toys. Recently, the wife wants a house because there is a baby on the way. Priorities change and I am forced to sell parts of my collection to fund a downpayment. So that's my story... not really all that exciting. I think MUSCLE's are cool and I got very lucky in finding the spinning head. ALSO-I can assure you there is NO shilling going on here. As someone pointed out, why would I have two eBay names so similiar? and why would I even have to pump up the value of this guy just hours into the auction? You can see I have perfect feedback and buy as much on eBay as I sell, so the integrity of the online auction community is very important to me. I have been burned by both scam sellers and non-paying bidders and would not wish that on anyone. Good luck to all of you in bidding. You guys have a very interesting forum here! Please feel free to pose any questions and I will answer them to the best of my ability.

I think it is incredibly interesting that he is in Buffalo. In my opinion, this may add credibility to SHA and others being from international locations (i.e., Canada, Brazil, etc.)

Edited by General Veers, 20 February 2004 - 07:28 AM.

#89 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2004 - 10:13 AM

I’ve got another Super Rare theory to throw at you. I’m not sure how strongly I feel about it, but I couldn’t stop thinking about the “Buffalo” factor.

Everyone is well aware that Bandai created the MUSCLE toys, which Mattel distributed in the United States. I went to Mattel’s website to try and find out about their locations. And guess where one of the locations is located? East Aurora, New York which is about 20 miles from Buffalo, New York.

This was too easy, and East Aurora sounded oddly familiar to me. Why? Because Fisher-Price headquarters is in East Aurora. When I continued to look into this location I found that Mattel bought Fisher-Price in 1993, which really hurts my concept.

Perhaps Mattel tested the figures from their Buffalo/East Aurora location.

We’ve often talked about the figures being “prototype” MUSCLE’s. I’ve never really like this theory because the Super Rares aren’t the coolest figures, especially DM. I continued to think about Buffalo, and thought, “What reason would there be for all of these figures to be in one location?”

The best reason I could come up with is that they were part of a consumer research project. Mattel tested the figures with kids, adults, or both. Perhaps Mattel looked at “MUSCLE’s with loose pieces” versus “MUSCLE’s without loose pieces” and people simply thought that the figures with the loose pieces weren’t any more interesting.

But there is one thing that might actually help this theory. Fisher-Price was a pioneer in the safety of children’s toys. In fact they did most of their testing in-house using kids. What if Fisher-Price allowed other companies to “rent” their location? What if Mattel tested the figures at Fisher-Price?

The figures stay at Fisher-Price and end up in the hands of employees. These employees take them home and give them to their kids, or neighbor’s kids. The kids trade figures and they just get mixed into other kids’ collections. Would you remember if you trade a specific figure with a kid whose Mom or Dad worked for Fisher-Price? You would probably think you just bought it from the store.

What do you think?

#90 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 01:05 PM

Veers I think you are on to something!!!

Here is my NEW theory!!!

BB and LB.

Once the BB line was ending they released the #77-#88 LB in the USA as a last ditch effort (not as many LB were produced as the BB).  This we call "tail enders."

Ok, so in Japan it was still fairly strong, so they realease #89-#112 LB in Japan only!

With one HUGE exception. 

This is a FACT!  Takara decided to take #89-#100 and card them with guns, shields, and small sleds and dump them in Europe (Primarily from what we know ONLY FRANCE).  These are literally Holy Grail MOC!!! 

They also had a small either test market of USA carded ones or simply some salesman samples MOC that ended up in the USA!  They were NOT in French.

So, my correlation is this.  There is also a good chance since much of Canada is French too, there could have been some French carded ones or even the English carded ones in Canada.

My point is this:

Bandai has done a lot of toys in Canada.  Canada has a big Asian community Toronto for sure!  SO do we know where all the Super Rares have originated?  Auction wise or other?  Phil said his auction was out of Boston (not too far from Canada).  This last auction for the SHA w/o head isn't it from Maryland?  (once again not far from Canada). 

So could the SUPER RARES been Canadian rather than South American? 

I really think that this could be a direction to follow.

None the less, lets all keep our eyes peeled on Canadian auctions.

Heck even the MIMP Shreddies exclusives were Canadian only!  ALso the BB bootlegs originated in Canada too!!!

Just an educated guess.

Good work Veers!

THEGODBEAST

I really think that collectors are over thinking this one.

I am sticking with my original theory that I posted early on in this topic.

THEGODBEAST

Edited by THEGODBEAST, 10 March 2004 - 01:06 PM.

#91 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2004 - 01:16 PM

You’re right, we shouldn’t explore new ideas. If we do, then we might sail off the end of the Earth.

I’m just throwing this idea out there. Where better to discuss this topic?

#92 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 March 2004 - 01:33 PM

I re-read this thread, and did we ever come to any type of conclusion of when the posters offers were offered?

Nate’s posted listed this:

* All-pink sans poster (Start of the line: 1986)
* All-pink with poster (End of 1986)
* Mixed pink and colored with poster (Beginning of 1987)
* Colored sans poster (Finish of the line: 1987)

But didn’t philly’s SC 4-pack wreck this theory? So do we have any idea?

#93 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 02:02 PM

But didn’t philly’s SC 4-pack wreck this theory? So do we have any idea?

Sort of. I think my statement was, "If Satan Cross was offered without the 4-pack, then it's reasonable to assume he was cancelled early in the line because the sans-poster 4-packs were the first ones released." But Philly's Satan Cross 4-pack has the poster offer on it, so that negates my assumption about SC's availability.

That 4-pack chronology could still exist, and I think it makes logical sense to group the different poster offers together since the expiration date is the same (I think). But if it does, then that means that Satan Cross was released in the middle of the line and discontinued before the start of the colored line for some inexplicable reason.

-Nathan

#94 Mr.Monster

Mr.Monster

Totalitarian Overlord of the Bench Press

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • Interests:Powerlifting, MST3K, Death Metal, 80's cartoons, Georgia/NWA Wrestling, Fistful of Power, Kinkeshi

Posted 10 March 2004 - 02:51 PM

But if it does, then that means that Satan Cross was released in the middle of the line and discontinued before the start of the colored line for some inexplicable reason.

This has always been my theory on SC. Also, I got my first 28 pack in January of 1986 (11th birthday, in the fifth grade, no doubt on this) and I ordered the poster from this pack. I first saw the commercials aired in January, and at least in central Ohio, they weren't available at Christmas, or I would've gotten them then as I made frequent trips to the toy stores....

Edited by Goriki, 10 March 2004 - 02:53 PM.

#95 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 05:20 PM

With all the SC figures out there now a days, I'm beginning to think he was common in the 4 pack, from start to finish in the flesh line. Just not on the poster. I also think that the poster offer was on US packs, but the Canadian 4 packs didn't have it. That is the only thing I can come up with.

I do agree that teh Super Rares were probably test market ones.

#96 arforbes

arforbes

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6788 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 07:14 PM

I agree with Johnny here. I think the Satancross was so common, if not as common as some of the rarer flesh figures like #189 and #195. I think Satancross was made as part of the M.U.S.C.L.E. line, as we have seen him in the 4-Packs. I am curious as to why he was discontinued though. He never had his back piece included in the 4-Packs, nor anywhere else that we know of. As a matter of fact, he was only available in the 4-Packs as far as we know. There is not even a spur on M.U.S.C.L.E. Satancross figures that suggests that he was made with a second piece. So why discontinued? Why do we not see him in any colors??? We may never know.
AKA Yapiel, AKA balucard

#97 arforbes

arforbes

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6788 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 07:21 PM

I was also thinking...

Could it be possible that the Satancross 4-Pack was Canadian? If this is true then the other Super Rares molds probably came in 4-Packs as well, released in Canada. They had to be in some sort of packaging, right? I can only assume that they are also in 4-Packs somewhere. Possibly 10-Packs released the Super Rares, who knows. We will only have a more clear idea once a packaged Super Rare is found.

B)
AKA Yapiel, AKA balucard

#98 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 07:59 PM

Could it be possible that the Satancross 4-Pack was Canadian?

I don't think so. The Canadian 4-packs were bi-lingual, meaning they had English along with French translations, but this carded Satan Cross doesn't have any French.

-Nathan

#99 arforbes

arforbes

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6788 posts

Posted 10 March 2004 - 08:50 PM

Could it be possible that the Satancross 4-Pack was Canadian?

I don't think so. The Canadian 4-packs were bi-lingual, meaning they had English along with French translations, but this carded Satan Cross doesn't have any French.

-Nathan

Holy crap, so the Satancross 4-Packs were indeed American, or some of them anyway. We have yet to find a Canadian one still. But I wonder what version of the packaging holds the infamous Super Rares! Thanks for the info on that Nathan! B)

:woot:
AKA Yapiel, AKA balucard

#100 Mr.Monster

Mr.Monster

Totalitarian Overlord of the Bench Press

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 872 posts
  • Interests:Powerlifting, MST3K, Death Metal, 80's cartoons, Georgia/NWA Wrestling, Fistful of Power, Kinkeshi

Posted 11 March 2004 - 02:46 AM

I agree with Johnny here. I think the Satancross was so common, if not as common as some of the rarer flesh figures like #189 and #195. I think Satancross was made as part of the M.U.S.C.L.E. line, as we have seen him in the 4-Packs. I am curious as to why he was discontinued though.

I don't think he was as common as you guys think. The 189 and 195 figures were easy to come by in 1986, I never had any trouble getting all the figures on the poster. I would scour the 4 packs for the figures I needed and I never came across a SC. I did this at multiple stores but I suppose it could be a regional thing. I collected Muscles from when they first were introduced until the multi-colored ones were brought out. And if he was so easy to come by, then why are there only 2 (I think) 4 packs with him? And why does he go for around $30 when he becomes available? Just because he's not on the poster? I don't buy that it's just a perceived notion of value or rarity. Just my opinions though...

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com