Theme© by Fisana

Photo
* * * * * 1 votes

So what is the deal with the "Greek/Russian" different-colored Beasts?

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 Jabroniville

Jabroniville

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:03 AM

I've been curious about this ever since I suddenly saw them pop up on eBay last year (mostly after I was finished collecting the 76). I know basically nothing about them, so I had some questions:

1) Who actually made these, and when?

2) What was their reason for doing so?

3) Why do they cost so much? Are they actually "worth" that, or is there just a sudden demand from completists?

4) Are they especially rare?

5) Are any colors rarer, and thus, worth more than others?

6) Did they actually become a popular collector's item among Beast fans, or are they kind of a side thing most people don't care about?

#2 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 20 September 2016 - 04:15 AM

The Russian stuff, from what I have seen, isn't terribly expensive. Usually in the same ballpark as the series 2 and 3 figures. (Anywhere from $5 to $10 a piece.) There are probably auctions that have gone higher though. I think the collectibility comes from the unique sculpts and weapons for these figures. While they certainly did outright bootleg a lot of sculpts, the Russians made a lot of crazy looking originals too.

The Greek Battle Beasts, (GBB for short), are definitely expensive figures. I do believe certain colours command more, but I'm not sure if that's a supply/demand thing or just that people prefer specific colours over others. I know that the figures were manufactured with mis-matched arms, so they're also expensive to complete because of this. (Obviously.) I don't know the rarity of these things, but I know you can almost always find auctions on them so they can't be that rare.

In terms of Russians, lots of people have dabbled in them but I don't think people have made it a big deal to go after them. The GBB are pretty much only sought after by the guys with deeper pockets, or those that are really dedicated to the line. I really love Battle Beasts, but I don't ever see myself owning a GBB due to the high prices the figures command.

I'm sure other people will offer different perspectives. Really, this boils down to a lot of opinions and conjecture.

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#3 TheRiddler

TheRiddler

????????????

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2357 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 06:59 AM

I'm just starting to collect BB and was wondering the same thing. When were the Russian ones released

#4 susha

susha

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 07:04 AM

beastformers has posted an article on his GBB rabbit collection and his quest for completing the set. its a great read https://beastformers...bit-project-12/

gbb-rabbits-header.jpg?w=1350&h=400&crop

On the other hand you really might want to read this article about GBB: https://beastformers...c/tepato-maxoi/

gbb-header-new.jpg?w=1350&h=400&crop=1

or this about the Spanish BB : https://beastformers...mbate-bootlegs/

bdc-bootleg-header.jpg?w=1350&h=400&crop

as to the russian ones there less info; heres a link with a link to a checklist

http://battlebeasts....tle-beasts.html

Edited by susha, 20 September 2016 - 07:11 AM.

#5 Beastformers

Beastformers

The White Rabbit @BEASTFORMERS

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1852 posts
  • Interests:BEASTFORMERS:
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    Protecting, Defending & Preserving the original vintage line by TAKARA/HASBRO
    (1986-1988)

Posted 20 September 2016 - 10:36 AM

Thanks for sharing Susha! 

Think most of the answers on the Greek Battle Beasts (GBB) can indeed be found on the pages/articles I created for them on the Beastformers Blog but for the few things that might be unanswered there here's some thoughts from my side;

I've been curious about this ever since I suddenly saw them pop up on eBay last year (mostly after I was finished collecting the 76). I know basically nothing about them, so I had some questions:

1) Who actually made these, and when?

2) What was their reason for doing so?

3) Why do they cost so much? Are they actually "worth" that, or is there just a sudden demand from completists?

4) Are they especially rare?

5) Are any colors rarer, and thus, worth more than others?

6) Did they actually become a popular collector's item among Beast fans, or are they kind of a side thing most people don't care about?

Answers for the GBB:

1. El Greco produced and sold the GBB in Greece during the late 80's and/or early 90's using the same or identical molds that MB used for the Battle Beasts that were sold in Spain. So the markings you'll find on the genuine Battle Beasts from Spain, the so called Bestias de Combate, are identical to the markings you'll find on the Greek Beasts so they don't match with the markings as we know from the normal Beasts. With markings I mean the place/location of the TAKARA/HASBRO stamp on the figure, the size and position of the number and the round markings you'll find on the backside of each figure representing the mold marks.

2. The reason why El Greco sold these figures in the colors they did are not 100% clear. Some think they did so because they matched the colors of the exogini line while it might also, or at the same time, have been a move in order to prevent copyright issues with Takara or Hasbro in case they'd have found out that they're producing the Battle Beasts. That why they still had the argument that they only produced monotone colored Beasts instead of the painted ones we know as the normal BB. Apart from that it also gave them some diversity in order to enhance/support the trading part of this line among kids in order to get them all since El Greco, like MB in Spain, only got their hands on the molds for the Series 1 Beasts meaning there were only 28 Beasts to collect....... BUT with 8 different colors for each Beasts that number evolved into a total of 224 (8x 28) Beasts to collect. So you could get each Beasts in 8 different colors as Susha showed above with the reference to my Greek Rabbit "Masterset". As you see there could be various reasons for the fact that El Greco went this monotone color way and the true reason might be a mixture of these.

3. Pricing of the GBB is in the first place in the hands of the Greeks themselves because that's were ALL of the GBB around originally originated from. So each and every Beasts you'll find on Ebay or via a boardmember out here does directly or indirectly come from Greece. One of the main reasons for the fact that the pricing of the Greeks started of pretty high immediately is the fact that once the first Greek BB became known to the community it was considered to be a prototype (due to its monotone color) meaning they directly entered with an impressive story. Not much later when a Greek member joined it was soon enough clear that this was not the case but that these were GBB which you could only find in Greece. And with the limited supply of some colors but a maximum demand from even though a small group of hardcore collectors the Greek price them the way they do since most of them don't understand that a certain color for the one figure might fetch one price while another might not. They simply price most of them as high as possible since they all rate them the same. This directly leads us to your questions 4&5.

4&5. The answer here as sort of mentioned above is Yes and No because although the GBB are obviously more rare than the normal BB, due to the fact they're only around in Greece, so that makes them directly more pricey than the normal BB in general. But apart from that there's also a hierarchy within the GBB based on color and figure. In general you could say that Silver, Black and Metallic Blue are considered to be the more common colors followed by Brown/Tan/Orange. Than there's a group with the brighter colors like Green, Blue, Pink and Purple which are in most cases the harder to find ones with Pink and Purple being the toughest. BUT the colors are not always guiding because for some specific Beasts this story might not always go since from some particular figures the Pink versions might be around more than the Silver one for instance. These are exceptions but just to show you the colors are not guiding for all of the Beasts. Prices, in general, do go up with the colors though so there is definitely a consistency in the pricing of the GBB and the colors they come in simply because of the fact some colors are more rare than others. 

6. That's an interesting question because the way you've composed it is exactly the way it is. Some BB collectors don't care about the GBB because they're to far away from a nostalgic point of view, are to expensive or they're to extensive in numbers to even think about starting collecting these. For most I think the fact they came from another country and people were not familiar with them as a kid makes the biggest difference but the other two reasons are surely valid as well ;) Due to this there's not a whole lot of hardcore GBB collectors around who're really trying to get a full set of 224, all the 28 Beasts in all 8 different colors. There are some going for a masterset of one particular figure but even though that might sound easy it can still be quite a challenge to even achieve that and this is mainly caused by the fact that unlike the normal BB which had the correct arm/body composition most of the GBB did come with the incorrect parts. This means that completing a GBB figure in the state its supposed to be according to our normal BB knowledge, the GBB pamphlet that was included with the Beasts in Greece did show the wrong composition, ain't a done deal because its a matter of getting all the parts together. And even IF you get all the parts you still risk inconsistencies due to the fact the colors might not match perfectly due to the body being stored in one way while the arms that're connected to another body from a completely different person might've dealt with other issues resulting in the fact that colors simply don't line up anymore after all these years. Completing a GBB figure is great but you don't want to know what efforts and attempts might've passed by before they're actually completed. Myself and a few of the other GBB collectors out here have a huge stockpile of parts with bodies and arms of various Beasts and in various colors in order to hope to find or match the missing pieces one day........... So this is definitely something you've to keep in mind before you even think about going for a full set or a masterset of "just" one figure.

At the moment none I know is even close to completing the set of 224 Beasts and apart from how precise you are and how much you do accept slight color differences one might be a bit further than the other but still 224 is a loooooong way to go especially if you do the math with the parts meaning each beast has a body and 2 arms and this has to match perfectly in color as well. In other words there's a total of 672 (3x224) parts to find...... I'm a perfectionist so that's not very helpful either because every slight color difference is enough for me not to add the figure to the grand total number of my personal GBB collection, at the moment I've just passed the 150 and that says it all.

Hope this answered most of your GBB related questions!

When it comes to the Russian BB I can be very short since I initially planned to look into these as extensive as I did with the GBB but I soon enough found out that the "vintage" Russian Beasts might not actually be as vintage as they stated on for instance Ebay because the original molds are still around and used. This means that your vintage Beasts, or what you think are vintage Beasts, might've been produced one month ago. For me this and the fact that finding solid information about these original Russian Knock off Beasts is very hard was enough reason to place this investigation aside for a while. As you might've noticed there's quite a variety of Russian Beast around and that's mainly due to the fact that unlike El Greco in Greece Russia had more companies who produced and sold these Beasts, Technolog is probably one of the most known but there's quite a few more around. The reason why the Russian Beasts aren't very expensive is mainly due to the lack of interest and knowledge from our side and that's, imho, strengthened from the Russian side with the fact that they don't seem to take the real vintage and nostalgic feeling to serious because they're simply producing identical figures as we speak. Also the material used is different because the Russian Beasts are made out of a hard type of plastic. That's all I can add for the Russian Beasts...

Whatever you do with it.... Enjoy the Beasts!   

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Collector & Founder of the Beastformers Blog

lrg-signature-beastformers-blog.gif

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#6 Shadow Bat

Shadow Bat

Serious Collector

• 360 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 12:58 PM

Technolog was the biggest producer of Russian Battle Beasts

Sintel was the second Biggest but there were also many other smaller companies

the Vintage period for them was approximately 1992-1998 for Technolog and 1994-1996 for sintel

But I believe Technolog also created similar projects later on such as crash beasts which had interchangeable heads

There are many subtle differences between the styles of the different companies but Sintel for instance tended to have smaller openings in the hands

as was explained to me, those years were a dark period of companies stealing and copying each other making a tiny change

As for the "new ones created from old molds" I believe 16 sculps were released in 4 colors (metallic green, metallic purple, metallic blue and silver)

by who I'm not sure but it may have been technolog again. anyways 3 of the colors are easy to identify the "new ones"

Watch out for neon orange ones, they were made strangely with reversed pegs and tend to be cracked and reglued at the shoulders

I'm told there are about 200 sculpts known between all the companies and endless colors

Anyways because of all this chaos some are more common some more rare, some made for years others for months but they may both look the same without something to compare

#7 Shadow Bat

Shadow Bat

Serious Collector

• 360 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 01:26 PM

Anyone want to take a guess on what is Technolog and what is Sintel?

Attached File  Russian 2.jpg   55.64K   17 downloads

#8 Grencats

Grencats

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 01:40 PM

I had been looking up the Russian Battle Beasts when I got 2 randomly as a gift and looked them up again when some "chariots" surfaced on Ebay. I believe this is the Technolog web site and I had actually found the "chariots" for sale. http://www.tehnolog.ru/index.php

It seems to me they could be making new beasts with old molds even today so it would be hard to tell the difference between the new and vintage.

I love collecting the Greek Battle Beasts. It's super easy to change the arms on them and it is fun to see different arms on a classic character.

Here is the write up about the company translated to english

"

Company "Technologist" was founded in 1987 as a private company. Its main products were termoaplikatsiya on cotton clothing (thermal images from paper to fabric). After 1991, the market demanded a change, and the company has moved to a different profile products. "Technologist" has developed its own technology for the production of molds on the basis of non-ferrous metal alloy, allowing to repeat the smallest details of miniatures. The company continues to develop this technology through the introduction of various ways of metal processing and production of new molds for their own models and miniatures. At the same time, the company is constantly expanding the market of their products. Rapidly growing demand for board games allowed the "technology" to take its place in the field of tactical war games and desktop strategies.

Since 1995 "Technologist" develops the printing base. Now she is a full cycle of production of printed materials, offset printing method, followed by cutting, varnishing and stapling printed products.

In 1998, the company began to develop the technology to create a volumetric 3D-figures, machines and robots, by a CNC milling directly molds and electrodes for erosion and electrochemical machines. This allows you to intelligently combine the speed of mold making to give an acceptable quality of finished products.

Virtual 3D-model allows to produce test samples in plastic model and immediately remove all detected by adjusting its drawbacks. These 3D-models are often used by our artists at work on the packaging.

The company offers the services of 9 artists (among them sculptors, designers, engravers and computer modeling experts), 7 engineers, as well as 85-ti highly skilled workers of various specialties. All this allows it to respond quickly to changes in the Russian market of toys and produce each year up to 20 new products. Now "Technology" price list includes more than 100 names.

The further development of their business "Technologist" sees the cooperation with well-known international companies - the production of desktop and war games on their license and distribution of their products in Russia. Available equipment companies - 16 thermoplastic machines, 3 printing machines, as well as 20 different metalworking machines - allows to produce high quality licensed products. In addition, the company is ready to produce plastic miniatures for your new games and other ideas.

"

Edited by Grencats, 20 September 2016 - 01:47 PM.

#9 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
  • Interests:Digital Media, Travel, LRGs
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 20 September 2016 - 07:01 PM

Somewhere on the boards and/or my list of bookmarks is the company who did the recent "reboot" Russian beast figures, some of which was bootlegs of original BB's. I picked up the ones that were released; they were selling for quite cheap at one point. I'll see if I can dig up the info if I get a moment.

And as it happens I haven't really gone much for the Greek bootlegs, but I just got some in today with the packaging included. Here's one of the ways they were available:

6DYHXjM.jpg

#10 Jabroniville

Jabroniville

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 305 posts

Posted 20 September 2016 - 11:02 PM

Wow- thanks Beastformers & Susha! That answers everything I wanted to know EXACTLY! It's good to finally figure out what all of that is. I first got on eBay last year to complete my childhood Beast collection, and at that point, I didn't see any Greek or Russian Beasts showing up whenever I searched (usually I just typed in "Battle Beasts" and saw what came up). It wasn't until I was almost done that I started seeing all of these metallic-silver guys popping up in searches, and I was immediately confused.

I've mentioned this before, but all my searching for Beasts online only ever brought me to the "Toy Archive" page, which is great, but out of date it seems- and it never mentioned the Greek stuff. So until I found this forum (which for some reason never seemed to show up on Google), I was clueless.

The funny thing about the Greek Beasts is that I don't really like them... unless they're all together in a group. Suddenly that makes them look like "Collectibles". Just a single, monochromatic one looks like some cheap knock-off, but Susha's giant stack of Rabbits looks amazing- like a real collection :)!

I wasn't interested in them before, but the idea of having a Rhino or a Snake of each color is pretty cool. If I ever decide I well and truly hate money, I can see about collecting them :).

eBay doesn't really seem like a good way to go, though- the figures seem pretty rare on there. Where else do you get them? Just trading on this forum?

#11 Exactobeast

Exactobeast

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 492 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 02:40 AM

FYI Susha was posting a link to beastformer's page. Those are beastformers rabbits. It's kind of his shtick.

#12 susha

susha

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 78 posts

Posted 21 September 2016 - 03:39 AM

yes that is Beastformers collection (Beastformers as in the dude on these forums not the toy line;) of rabbits and it gives a whole new meaning to gbb. Have you read his quest to complete the collection? 

But about your thoughts on gbb. One of the appeals of GBB 'might' be the different colours and the temptation of recoloring skin or armour. It might seem like a good idea at first but be warned that you can have single colour bb made new from some of the members of these forums. If you don't want the figs painted and want to paint them yourself they will be much cheaper than a gbb. Also you wont risk ruining a figure which is both valuable and .. well old and limited. Ofc you can use watercolours which can be washed off easily. 

On a final note. Ebay

1 check both battle beasts and beasformers.

2 the best way to go is lots unless you want complete figs (weapon,sticker,fig). Lots as in auctions of multiple items. It might look to you that the prices are higher but you'll probably end up paying each figure less than the average. Of recent BB are getting closer and closer to a round 10 english pounds per fig.

Edited by susha, 21 September 2016 - 03:42 AM.

#13 kingtiger077

kingtiger077

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Greek Battle Beasts, exogini

Posted 11 November 2016 - 01:22 PM

Hello from Greece! Well there isn't much to say since Beastformers said everything about my beloved GBB!  I can only say, that i'm a big fan and collector of GBB, that i'm currently trying to get a master set of 224 figures (8 colors X 28 figures). As far as rarity is concerned purple color is the rarest and more expencive. Ebay is out of the question becouse the prices there go sky high. I pay about 30-40 euros for each purple i find or less. They are really hard to come by...

They went around in 3 different types of packages, bag of one figure, carton box with transparent window of two figures and the plastic tube containing four of them along with a leaflet showing the figures with their names. Many of the figures have wrong arms even on the leaflet. i don't know why this happend. El Greco really meshed upthere!

Each tube had a colored lead difining the color of the GBB inside e.g. if the lead was black then the tube would contain black GBB. Within all packages you could find a weapon and three stickers to put on the chest of each figure. No rub exists on GBB

Attached File  Τερατομάχοι σακουλάκι.jpg   263.3K   9 downloads Attached File  greekbox.jpg   14.78K   6 downloads Attached File  greekbox2.jpg   16.63K   9 downloads Attached File  Τερατομάχοι βαζάκια.jpg   52.59K   14 downloads Attached File  20160208_094852.jpg   42.64K   14 downloads

Recently i saw an auction at ebay with GBB, Russian and Mexican BB with the last ones being found in ice cream cups in Mexico as i descovered
They had one hand up but didn't move them, and they were made of hard plastic. Don't know much about them

Attached File  mexican.jpg   9.72K   12 downloads

#14 WendyW

WendyW

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 11 November 2016 - 03:28 PM

beastformers has posted an article on his GBB rabbit collection and his quest for completing the set. its a great read https://beastformers...bit-project-12/

gbb-rabbits-header.jpg?w=1350&h=400&crop

I think... I think I need a bunny army.

My comics:

Gilbert and the Grim Rabbit - gilbertandgrim.com

Commander Cottontail - commandercottontail.com

#15 trumanshower

trumanshower

Eternal Truman of the spotless mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1384 posts
  • Interests:dragonautes, monster in my pocket, fistful of power, motu, cosmix, luxioles etc etc...

Posted 12 November 2016 - 01:10 AM

Recently i saw an auction at ebay with GBB, Russian and Mexican BB with the last ones being found in ice cream cups in Mexico as i descovered

They had one hand up but didn't move them, and they were made of hard plastic. Don't know much about them

attachicon.gifmexican.jpg

Attached File  guerreros del espacio.jpg   725.2K   25 downloads

French collector of Battle Beasts, Monster in my pocket and a bunch of other toys !!
FoP facebook page : https://www.facebook.../fistfulofpower

Boogaz facebook group : https://www.facebook...810983082984202

#16 kingtiger077

kingtiger077

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
  • Interests:Greek Battle Beasts, exogini

Posted 13 November 2016 - 09:15 AM

Awesome pic my friend! Mexican BB in a plastic bug... Thanks for the info!!!

#17 Tars Tarkas

Tars Tarkas

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 227 posts

Posted 13 November 2016 - 05:43 PM

Nice!  Haven't seen any bags for the Mexican Beasts before.

The Russian ones are still pretty cheap on eBay, but the ones offered are random, some are obviously new and some are obviously well-used, I buy them occasionally and sometimes the shipping is more than the cost of the beast (for the less popular molds)  I like them because they are like bizarro versions of the Beasts I loved as a kid, much like most of the other knockoffs.

Posted Image

#18 CyberBeast

CyberBeast

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 33 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, MOTU Classics, Motion design

Posted 20 December 2016 - 10:14 PM

Anyone want to take a guess on what is Technolog and what is Sintel?

attachicon.gifRussian 2.jpg

from left to right
1.Technolog
2. Sintel 
3. Unknown bootleg

I love russian beasts because this line has many interesting unique creatures, not only antropomorphic animals. I like only Technolog toys because they have good quality. In first period technolog copied few bb & lb but in next years company created many original characters. Also Technolog takes many designs from Games workshop. Al technolog beasts made in hard plastic. Some part of them are copies of tepato maxoi. Call copies are a little smaller than originals. Colours arу random no one can collect all figures with all colors - its impossible. but everybody can collect all figures with one favourite color. There are many extremely rare figures, but it is possible to collect them all with the help from russian sellers. 

Edited by CyberBeast, 20 December 2016 - 10:26 PM.

CyberBeasts project: just ask me all you want to know about russian battle beasts.
Sorry for my english  :ph34r:

#19 Kakoulinos

Kakoulinos

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 17 February 2017 - 08:17 AM

I have 6 greek battle beasts from the 1980s in their original
hard to find packets for sale.
Let me know if interested.
Thanks

#20 SergG

SergG

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 November 2018 - 02:28 PM

Hi i'm from Russia..i have russian beasts toys from childhood (it was bought in1992-93 but made maybe earlier). is these guys cost anything?

369a13324a8ft.jpg

Edited by SergG, 28 November 2018 - 02:30 PM.

#21 Rubberhammer

Rubberhammer

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2463 posts

Posted 29 November 2018 - 07:54 PM

Hi i'm from Russia..i have russian beasts toys from childhood (it was bought in1992-93 but made maybe earlier). is these guys cost anything?

369a13324a8ft.jpg

Worth a pretty penny, I imagine.

Especially that moose.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com