100 replies to this topic

#1 Drtooth

Drtooth

germaphobe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 09:35 AM

Okay, I don't have a DVD player but I'm thinking of getting one. So I always look ath DVD's when I go to a record store or best buy or something. It seems to me that they're putting a lot of cool stuff on DVD, but also a metric ton of crap. I mean, there are intense petitions being signed pleading companies to release such and such on DVD, and all this junk comes out instead.

For instance... do we really need New Zoo Revue, perhaps one of the most disturbing and insipid of all the 1970's Sesame Street ripoffs and wannabees captured for posterity? Seriously, it's the kind of show that home shopping channels put on at 5 am on Saturday mornings so they can keep their FCC licence. No one needs that.

Unpopular noncult sitcoms... i.e. the Steve Harvey show. I like Steve Harvey and Cedric the Entertainer, but I felt the show is just fine for something to watch on sy6ndication, but not something anyone would by for 19 bucks...

Anything with Bob Saget in it... There was some film I saqw at the cornr of my eye at Tower records... Father and Son? Something like that. I mean, if anything, we need to have Bob Saget's career erased from existance.

The Man show... never did care for it. It has more like a purchase through Comedycentral.com or 1-800 something number than a box set. Oy vey... boxed sets... another rant...

Syndiacted action shows.... If you didn't tape the episodes of the air for free, why would you want Beastmaster or Andromeda at all? They have them on the air enough.. like 5 times on a Saturday..

Basically, my rant isn't that these shouldn't totally be on DVD (to each there own, I suppose... well except new zoo revue what are they huffing?)... but that if they're on DVD other stuff should..

TMNT original... yeah the new one is leaps and bounds better... but a Sesaon one boxed set would be great. I like both series, and a lot of fans want to see the old turtles right up there with the new ones.

Fraggle Rock... Odd choice you'd think, but seriously debated. They do have one... in French... and there is supposedly one for DVD region 2, but as long as obscure 1980's stuff is popular they should bring this to the US...

Cult sitcoms. I mean, All in the Family, Mash, and the rest are a great start. But we really need season one Happy Days, Mork and Mindy, and of course Seinfeld among others as well.

Kinnikuman... Just about every other Japanese cartoon is on DVD... why not? I'm sure if people gave it a chance it could be a cult favorite. And that's what Anime DVD's are for... cult favorites.

And certain things should be box sets and not just singular DVD's of 2-3 episodes. I know rights are a huge problem, and that's why they only have 3 eps per DVD... you can fit such and such on a DVD, but because of rights, you have to buy like 5 DVD's for what you could get on one disk. Look at the New Turtles show. You could definately get all 13 episodes from season one on 2 disks, but becasue of rights, 4 seperate disks, episodes are missing...

please discuss...
Posted Image

#2 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 11:19 AM

First, Don't worry about getting a DVD player, dude. It's just a fad.

But the reason why some of your stuff is not out on DVD is either 1) they haven't gotten around to making it yet, or 2) it's just not popular enough to sell well.

I think some of your suggestions fit into the second category. As much as we hate to admit it, Kinnikuman is pretty obscure. Yeah, a bunch of us rabid Kinnikufans would pick them up, but I'm sure the DVD execs aren't interested a consumer base of a few dozen people. Also, a few hard-core TMNT enthusiasts would be interested in the old cartoon, but I'm sure Mirage wants to concentrate its efforts on the new cartoon, which appeals to all groups.

I agree that some of your suggestions, like Fraggle Rock, Happy Days, and Seinfeld, would be strong sellers. I'm sure they're coming down the pipeline eventually.

But I have a few gripes about DVDs myself:

1) Boxed sets (as you mentioned). Most of the time, I just want a few of the DVDs, not the whole set. For example, if I could, I would have picked up just Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, instead of the whole friggin' set.

2) "Special" features. Let's face it. Most of the special material on a DVD are a friggin' waste of time and disc space. As an example, Star Trek IV and Lion King had a bunch of special features, but only a few were worth a crap. However, the Indiana Jones Special Features disc had only a few features, but they were all interesting and important (a "Making Of" special for each movie, and four or five featurettes). I wish they would concentrate on making a few QUALITY features, instead of a bunch of CRAP features.

3) Navigation. I've lost my cursor too many times to count. And often I'll be trying to get to one area on the screen to another, but not know how to get there. The user interface should be INSTANTANEOUSLY understandable. Truthfully, I have no idea how these DVD designers still have jobs. If they were making Web applications, they would be out on their asses.

-Nathan

#3 Drtooth

Drtooth

germaphobe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 11:33 AM

I don't agree totally that it's a fad, I'm just sick of breaking videos. After my Muppet Show with MArk Hamil tape got destroyed afetr I watched it 3 times I've given up on videos completely.

I do understand that Kinnikuman would be extreemly obscure (not to mention the fact that UM would hurrt the adult appeal) but I've seen further obscure stuff. Sucks that it wouldn't do to well, and stuff like New Zoo revue gets put out. If anything KinnikuDVD's should be available for rental, It wouldn't be as big as Sailor Moon or DBZ, but there's a lot of stuff in the Anime section that no one's ever heard of. Sighhhhh if more people actually remembered MUSCLE and made the connection, it would get, if anything, a cult base...

Saw some really obscure Japanses live action show on DVD... why that?

Box sets are hits and misses. I mean, if you want one DVD that's released as a set (like Indie, as you said) then it is pointless and frustraiting. However, if you want the collection of a show that's also on seperate DVD's (I.e. Spongebob...) the box set is cheaper than getting the sepreate disks.

Actually, there is a Seinfeld DVD in the works, and Fraggle Rock will no doubt be released in the US sometime (there is one in French, and there is one coming in January, but region 2). Also, it depends on if they make a cheesy arse movie out of the project in question. Look at the Cat in the Hat. Once the movie plans were made, they shot out all the prior Dr. Seuss stuff on DVD's including the rare and hard to find Depatie Freling specials... all of them. And a Bewitched DVD is set for the release of the Movie Bewitched... the movies themselves are garbage, but the fact we get stuff from them is fantastic.
Posted Image

#4 Drtooth

Drtooth

germaphobe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 12 November 2003 - 01:33 PM

Oh... I forgot... anyone have a multiregion DVD player? I have a few questions

1) Is it super expensive? Does it cost a lot. Can I get one cheap without buying it off the back of someone's truck?

2) Do they actually work on regular TV sets?
Posted Image

#5 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 12 November 2003 - 07:53 PM

First, Don't worry about getting a DVD player, dude.  It's just a fad.

-Nathan

Here's a brief article on the -- possible -- future of CDs and, I assume, DVDs.

CDs 'could be history in five years' :p
Posted Image

#6 Adamantiumwulf

Adamantiumwulf

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1900 posts
  • Interests:Sega Master System and Segas other Consoles and games., Legos
    Transformers
    Baseball cards
    various action figures

Posted 13 November 2003 - 06:51 AM

They also said vhs and tapes would be long gone years ago. Lp's are still around. It takes years and years and years for this stuff to go the way of the Dodo.
"I've always believed that a lot of the trouble in the world would disappear if we were talking to each other instead of about each other." Ronald Regan - April 11, 1984

#7 pfisteria

pfisteria

Sol

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 457 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 06:54 AM

First, Don't worry about getting a DVD player, dude.  It's just a fad.

-Nathan

Here's a brief article on the -- possible -- future of CDs and, I assume, DVDs.

CDs 'could be history in five years' :p

I dunno... DVDs are such money makers for companies; I don't think they'll let the technology go for many years to come, but it is very hard to predict future technology trends. Anyone remember the 2 1/2 (maybe 2 1/4 - I forget which) floppy disk - it was supposed to be the next big thing, but then zip drives (or something else) came out and the 2 1/2s got dumped so fast most people never even heard of them. Personally, I think DVDs will be around for quite a while - this is the entertainment industry after all.
"If you're killed, you've lost a very important part of your life."

#8 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 07:31 AM

First, Don't worry about getting a DVD player, dude. It's just a fad.

Hm... maybe I should have put a ":p" after this statement.

Of course, I was just joking. DVDs will be the most prominent medium for movies for the foreseeable future. The VCR format may linger around for a few more years (at least until recordable DVD players are introduced) but DVD will gradually push it out until the VCR market share is negligible. Basically, if you want to continue seeing movies in your home, I would recommend getting a DVD player. There will probably be a small specialty VCR market (like LPs), but many companies will likely stop VHS production soon.

-Nathan

#9 pasvagrsvj

pasvagrsvj

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 08:48 AM

Wow, what a surreal thread! It's the twenty-first century guys...step into it. DVD is a superior format to most available formats. Why would you want to watch something "on air" or on a VCR tape when you could watch it in near perfect digital quality, often in the director-intended letterbox format. Not to mention the flexibility of the format...chapter jumping, freeze framing, zooming etc. And the granddaddy of all reasons, and my personal favorite...

DOLBY DIGITAL 5.1 SURROUND SOUND!!!

#10 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2003 - 08:53 AM

But I already own so many VHS tapes... :D

But they do fade everytime I watch them... :p

Ok, I'll use DVD's. :D

#11 Drtooth

Drtooth

germaphobe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 09:06 AM

But I already own so many VHS tapes... :D

But they do fade everytime I watch them... :p

Ok, I'll use DVD's. :D

I have millions of videos, myself... I get a shiznit load cheap at bargain stores (I got an entire Rocky and Bullwinkle set for $1.50- $2.00 each, not to mention various obscurities) But after seeing my Star Wars meets the Muppets tape get eaten after I tried to watch it for the 4th time (I usuually watch every tape I have as much as possible) I just can't take that anymore. If it were cheap, I wouldn't mind. But I was struggling financially at that time and I had to do horrible things to get the 10 bucks. DVD, fad or not, at least they last a long good time.

But back to the subject of Kinnikuman on DVD... why not? I mean, sure it's staggeringly obscure, and hell, even MUscles are obscure enough the show that no ones seen that they are based on... hoo boy. Of course I meant that a small independant company should secure the rights to gettting them on DVD's. Spend all their money on that. No english dub track. Just subtitles. I'm not talking about a huge Pioneer/ Funimation type deal, but rather a smaller company... maybe sold in specialty stortes, indie video places and of course On line... It could work... I've seen weirder things happen. Not holding my breath though.

You know, putting stuff on DVD isn't too hard, why Indie film makers actually do sell small batches of their films on DVD online. In fact, someone entere this contest on the Palisades toy board, and he made this 4 part movie about his Muppet figures (long story... I'll post the link to the video files sometime) and he's selling some of the DVD's to board members...

And since they aren't as clunky as video tapes, theyt won't destroy the plaer when you watch them...
Posted Image

#12 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 November 2003 - 09:16 AM

Ok. I was joking around. But is this thread your idea of a joke? How can you bee-eye-itch or complain about DVD’s? How can you not have a DVD player? DVD’s are the best available format for movies right now. Sure it’s going to change in the future, but so what?

Are you still pissed about CD’s? It just doesn’t seem like there is much room for discussion here. I guess you shouldn’t have bought so many VHS tapes. That way you wouldn’t be so pissed at those stupid DVD’s.

#13 Drtooth

Drtooth

germaphobe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 10:44 AM

I'm complaining because I am thinking of getting one, but I'm not decided. Since I AM flat broke, I'd have to give up buying action figures (and I collect as few as I can... just Muppets now, in fact). That's what the thread is about. Plus after having people send over 100000 DVD petitions for me to sign (after the first 3, I was only doing it to be polite) it got to me. But seriously... it was seeing that New Zoo Revue crap that really made me angry...

And I got those Vids years ago anyway... plus they were cheap and have an enormous cartoon collection that's going to waste... and to see New Zoo Revue... sorry... forget I brought that show up... but who's kidding who? No one's going to buy those, except nostalgia freaks...

Edited by Drtooth, 13 November 2003 - 10:46 AM.

Posted Image

#14 el midgetron

el midgetron

Squirrel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1401 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 07:09 PM

Don't be a noodle. Get a DVD player. Youll love it. As for it being a fad? Come on nothing lasts forever. You own a CD palyer right? DVD s are going to be around for long enough to make it worth your time. Video tapes sucks for dozens of reasons. People who dont like DVD payers are the same people who wont know how to work a toaster when they are 65. Dont be a noodle.
Posted Image

#15 Raven Man

Raven Man

Backround-Filler Chojin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 325 posts

Posted 13 November 2003 - 08:39 PM

Heh... My preference of technology over people will pay off when I'm old... 'Cuz I'll know how to work the virtual-space-milkshake machine, and be less lonely than some other coot who has a far higher rate of visitors! HAHAHAHAHAAA!

#16 Drtooth

Drtooth

germaphobe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 07:48 AM

Don't be a noodle. Get a DVD player. Youll love it. As for it being a fad? Come on nothing lasts forever. You own a CD palyer right? DVD s are going to be around for long enough to make it worth your time. Video tapes sucks for dozens of reasons. People who dont like DVD payers are the same people who wont know how to work a toaster when they are 65. Dont be a noodle.

Yeah... I really really want one, but I'm seeing if I can find something that's cheap and region free, so I can by other DVD's from other countries (like Kinnikuman... 100 bucks though... maybe get it as a graduation from college present to myself next year) but I don't know if they'd work on regular TV's... some people say they do, others say they don't I dunno...

But I most certainly will get one, and pray I don't go broke buying DVD's for it...
Posted Image

#17 pasvagrsvj

pasvagrsvj

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 585 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 09:21 AM

Just buy a $50 Apex unit! They're cheap, and something that you probably don't know about dvd players...the cheaper they are, the more formats they will play.

#18 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 14 November 2003 - 11:45 AM

Are they really "All Regeon" rated, or is that a conjecture? It says nothing about them being "Regeon Zero" in the stats, and that's the one that'll play any DVD. Data files I can easily do without, but I'm not sure I want to be confined to Regeon 1 discs.
Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

And you are here, with them, as so many specks of sand.

#19 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 10:20 AM

Year 2007 update!

(1) How did I not get Tortle's joke 4 years ago? D'oh! The 2004 version of Dr. Tooth not having a DVD player is like a 2007 professional athlete not being on steroids!

(2) Dr. Tooth, did you ever get around to buying a DVD player? (I know you still don't have an eBay account, so maybe you haven't. :D )

(3) So how are sales of CDs and DVDs doing? Well, here are two reports I was able to find after a quick google:

[a] US CD sales plummet as people turn to digital music downloads

[b] Analysts predict declining DVD sales in 2007

(4) Of course, these are only two reports/articles, but interestingly, both speculate that digital media (music and video downloads) are possibly to blame -- not to mention convenient cable-provider features like "On Demand" that let you order movies and shows whenever you want. (There's also the fact that Hollywood has been laying some big stinkers lately.)

(6) Conclusion: Maybe in 2007 CDs and DVDs are really on the way out...

:wacko:
Posted Image

#20 Imp

Imp

Cranky Gorillaz Gal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2367 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 10:31 AM

Don't forget, they are coming out with two new types of DVD players. People probably are waiting to see which one goes mainstream.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Congratulations! Taxes, titles, licenses, and fees, not included.

My Live Journal. Because obviously you need to know how my day went. How's yours?

#21 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 10:41 AM

Don't forget, they are coming out with two new types of DVD players. People probably are waiting to see which one goes mainstream.

True, but the DVD article above kinda takes that into account:

Notably, folks are bearish when speculating about the HD DVD and Blu-ray impact, as they say that high definition films won't sell enough to put a dent in the expected downturn, which could bleed all the way into 2008.

Folks may be holding off on buying DVDs so they can buy HD DVDs, but sales are so low that even potential HD DVD sales won't "dent the downturn."

Who knows for sure... but by most accounts, we are steadily making our way towards a completely digital society.
Posted Image

#22 Aikola

Aikola

Main Offender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 11:24 AM

Ive got a feeling DVD's and CD's will still be around for at least another 5 years. Avid fans of bands/programmes want something tangible something to grasp not something that could be deleted at the push of a button.
Yeah the worlds changing but it doesnt happen overnight, ive still got a record player, sega master system, vhs plus all the new gadgets so they'll never burnout altogether.
Aikola: Collecting figures that no-one else cares about since 2007.
"Punk Rock: A loud, fast and deliberately offensive style of rock music"

My Trade List
My Little Army
Aikola's Mini Boglin Colour Archive

#23 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 05 October 2007 - 11:43 AM

Yep. I just bought me a new DVD player, and I think it supports HD-DVDs, unsure really. Walmart is practically shuving the things in peoples houses at the prices they have. Mine is a 5 disc changer with all the features my old single disc GE had, and it cost me the same as my first one did 7 years ago. $70 bucks. Can't beat that. I can shuv a whole Season boxset in that thing. :wacko:

But I have to agree with Aikola. Unless somone comes up with an even better media format for music, or movies, people are still gonna stick with the old stuff. I can't believe CDs are old now. Sheesh. Anyway, Downloads are cool and all, but they won't hit fullstream till everyone can hook up to highspeed internet and cable. I personally would rather have CDs than downloads. I can buy CDs second hand or overstock alot cheaper than having to buy new dowloads for each song I want. I still know people who only buy VHS tapes. DVD took a while to kill VHS in the mainstream market for good. Not everyone can or has a computer either, and the particular format would have to catch on worldwide for it to go anywhere. Blueray seems like it's gonna just fall out of the market. DVD prices are just too reasonable right now for the majority to splurge on HIgh Def DVDs or BlueRay. I mean a movie is a movie right?

Do I even know what I'm talking about half the time?

Posted Image

#24 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 12:45 PM

Ive got a feeling DVD's and CD's will still be around for at least another 5 years.

Definitely -- in fact, just like vinyl and VHS tapes, I think CDs and DVDs will be around for decades. When I say that they are "on the way out" I don't mean no one will be collecting, buying, and using them, I just mean they will no longer be the main vehicle for the distribution of media. The convenience, efficiency, and cost-saving of digital media is just too much to compete with.

Like URS said, not everyone has high-speed internet (or computers for that matter) but as we know from this thread, some people didn't even have DVD players 4 years ago. But once "renting" an HD movie is as easy, fast, and cheap as changing TV channels -- whether you're in your house, in a mini-van with the kids, or on a bus with your video iPod -- DVDs will just not be able to compete. Will some people still buy them, sure? Some people still buy vinyl records!

Also, all these vehicles have different pros and cons: Many music aficionados insist -- probably correctly -- that music sounds better on a vinyl record, and I've heard more than one person say they like to hold something tangible when they buy an album. The list goes on an on.

In the long run though, if I have the choice of driving to the store to rent a HD DVD or simple browsing a menu on my TV displaying an unlimited number of digital HD movies to choose from at a comparable or cheaper price... I'm going with the digital movie.

:wacko:
Posted Image

#25 Tortle

Tortle

Nathan

• Legends
  • 4763 posts

Posted 05 October 2007 - 12:47 PM

Yep. I just bought me a new DVD player, and I think it supports HD-DVDs, unsure really. Walmart is practically shuving the things in peoples houses at the prices they have. Mine is a 5 disc changer with all the features my old single disc GE had, and it cost me the same as my first one did 7 years ago. $70 bucks.

If you bought it for $70, there's no way it supports HD-DVDs. Blu-Ray and HD-DVD players cost $300+. You might have gotten an upconvert DVD player (it formats DVDs for HD TVs), but I don't think you could get a 5-disc changer upconverter for that price.

DVD prices are just too reasonable right now for the majority to splurge on HIgh Def DVDs or BlueRay. I mean a movie is a movie right?

Sort of. I recently bought an HD TV and DVDs sometimes look like ass on it. I even splurged for an upconverter DVD player (with HDMI cable, mind you) and the picture for most DVDs is pretty good, but nothing compared to an HD-DVD player. HD-DVDs or Blu-Rays will replace DVDs when 1) more consumers get HD TVs and 2) there's a definite winner to the high-def DVD player war. Right now, most people own normal TVs, on which normal DVDs look great. Also, who wants to pay $300 for a Blu-Ray player when they might be out of business in a few years (and vice versa with HD-DVD)?

DVD sales may be declining because consumers are hesitant to buy them with HD-DVD/Blu-Rays on the horizon (like me). Also, many consumers wouldn't buy HD-DVDs or Blu-Rays because they're waiting for the format war to finish (again, like me).

In the long run though, if I have the choice of driving to the store to rent a HD DVD or simple browsing a menu on my TV displaying an unlimited number of digital HD movies to choose from at a comparable or cheaper price... I'm going with the digital movie.

I don't think that you'd be able to get the same quality from a downloaded movie vs. a HD-DVD. I'd imagine that real HD quality would be too big to send via the Internet.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com