• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

Original AKIA Founder Y/S*N*T

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 06:47 PM

I swear that the following is absolutely true.  I have also submitted it to Behind Closed Ovens.

So, there's this Chinese restaurant near me, about three blocks' distance from a massive oil refinery. I thought to myself, "Well, I should go and try it out, and see if they're any good."

I am not a smart man.

The exterior of the place is... interesting. White stucco with some faux-chinese roofing, though it's a flat roof.  My first warning sign was when I realized that the place did not have a parking lot, just about a car's width 'alley" between the building and a wall separating it from some houses. It is also on the side of a steep hill, too - there's no real sidewalk or curb to speak of, but I noticed a few cars haphazardly parked on the street, and managed to squeeze in. Hey, with all those cars parked, maybe the place was busy! A real, secret hole-in-the-wall masterpiece!

ha ha ha. oh ha ha.

Inside the dimly-lit restaurant, several things immediately came to my attention:

1. There was a partition two feet in front of the door, forcing you to turn right, and almost into the wall.
2. There was a massive laundry basket full of assorted (old, broken) child's toys, much like what you would see in a doctor's waiting room, provided the doctor had no budget.
3. There was a large round curtained entrance into a darkened room with a sign that says, "NO ENTRANCE." Dunno what's back there.
4. There was a very old, very small CRT television sitting on the counter, facing the main dining room it wasn't playing any actual show I knew, not even a Random Chinese Sap opera. Instead, it showed a montage of... old-timey baseball games, kids in Huck finn outfits fishing, people crossing the street, and other strangely surreal faux-old timey footage accompanied by Old Man River. I think I saw a sign that read "Chicago" at one point. I don't know!
5. Rusty saws on the wall.

There was nobody at the counter, of course. As I awkwardly waited, I took note of the other patrons scattered around in the restaurant:

1. A very old white man who looked like the veteran of some war - not quite old enough for WWII or the Korean War, and certainly not young enough for Vietnam, so he may have just been generically grizzled. He had two empty bottles on the table with him - one empty gallon jug of orange juice, and one empty glass bottle of... I don't know. It did not have a label. It was roughly the size of the orange juice jug.
2. A white, middle-aged bald man with a round face, round nose, round ears, and a hat. He may have been Elmer Fudd.
3. A very large, fat late-middle-aged black man. He was shaped roughly like a pear, breathed loudly through his mouth, and the few times I heard him speak, he seemed to only use the syllable "Ah" and the consonants "Rrrrrrrn" and "Hmmnm."  At one point I was afraid that he might be having a heart attack, but he was just groaning as he stood to his feet.  "Ahrrrnnmmmnmnrrnnah."

A waiter (or perhaps the sole proprietor) emerged from behind the counter and told me to sit anywhere, and so I did.  My place setting had two napkins, one cloth and one paper. It also had a fork, a big chinese soup spoon, and an empty tea cup. the fork was caked with grease. The spoon was caked with grease. The teacup was caked with grease. Miraculously, the (paper) napkin was dry, so I put it on my lap.

The waiter soon returned and handed me a menu, which was a greeting-card-sized photocopied page (covered in black photocopier specks) that had the prices handwritten on it in blue ink. I hesitated for a moment, and then ordered fried wontons (appetizer), egg drop soup, and sweet & sour pork. I like to live life on the edge.

The tea arrived, and I wiped down the inside of my teacup before pouring it from the (greasy) teapot. It was colored gray. gray tea.

Soon, the waiter returned, and served me the wontons. He also gave me some chopsticks, which as you could imagine were quite greasy.  The fried wontons were rather interesting - at first, I couldn't figure out why they tasted wrong, but then I realized that they were not cooked in sesame oil or made of rice flour, they seemed to just be scraps of fried dough. they were also charred on the outside and raw batter on the inside.  I'm not quite sure how they managed this.

Next up was the soup.  Egg drop soup is not hard to make... for most people. With this one, it had plain water instead of broth, the eggs were in little round-ish gelatinous clumps, and the vegetables were uncooked.  After eating a little bit of it (and marvelling at it), I noticed something pink. Pork. Raw pork. Somehow, they added uncooked meat and then just... forgot to cook.  I politely said that I would take the rest home - honestly, I was afraid about what would happen if I had not been polite.

And then came the Sweet & Sour pork, with a side of steamed white rice. At first glance, it looked fine. just fine and dandy. I spooned some of the rice on my plate, and found that it wasn't greasy - just cold, clammy, and sticky in ways that steamed rice shouldn't be. Oookay.  I then spooned some of the pork onto my plate (why? why?), picked it up with the (greasy) chopsticks, and took a bite. My sequence of thoughts were:

1. "Well, it tastes like pork, and the sweet & sour sauce seems all right."

2. "Hey, something seems off about the texture."

3. "Wait, what did I just bite into?"

I carefully extracted the piece of pork from my mouth, and found a bone nestled right in the middle of the nugget. And since I had just been chewing on it, the breading was gone, revealing... uncooked pork.  It was warm, but the color was clearly raw meat, and the weird texture was... raw meat.

Raw. Pork.

I studied this for a little while before the waiter returned and asked how I was. I very carefully smiled and said that I would like to take my food to go, and thank you very much for the kind service (I'll give him this - he was a very nice, polite man).

He gave me one to-go box and a styrofoam cup for the soup.  The cup had no lid.

He seemed to realize his mistake, and brought me the lid along with the check.  The check was on a greasy metal tray.  The check was also greasy.  The lid, however, was not.  And the (pre-packaged) fortune cookie was all right.  It said, "How you look depends on where you go."  I don't want to know how I look.

I paid for my meal, drove home, dumped the takeout in a dumpster outside, and promptly went into the bathroom because, thankfully, the "food" I had eaten decided to exit my body rather than poison me to death.

I ran out of toilet paper.

Saws.jpg

Edited by Ridureyu, 15 February 2015 - 07:13 PM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 06:58 PM

holy hell...

#3 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10723 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 07:17 PM

Shit, it's like my Sims town came to life.

Do yourself a favor, don't go into the basement there. Don't ask, just don't go.

#4 Sixthwizard

Sixthwizard

6thWizard

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1977 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 07:30 PM

Total Front. 100% trafficking of some sort. Haha....but I'm serious. Has to be a front.

That's not rust my friend. That's dried blood. From the basement. Haha....

And...pork? Feline possibly? Haha

Man- only thing could have topped that off, would have been an impromptu Kung Fu match right in front of you. Or a Triad shoutout. Haha

Edited by Sixthwizard, 15 February 2015 - 07:33 PM.

#5 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts
  • Interests:Collecting MIMP and playing Fantasy Baseball.

Posted 15 February 2015 - 07:48 PM

This place sounds good. I'll have to stop by when I am in town...

21767_1_other_video_games_fire_flamethro

My MIMP Resource site: http://mimpcollective.weebly.com

Behemoth's Video Game and MIMP YouTube Page: https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

#6 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

Original AKIA Founder Y/S*N*T

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 07:52 PM

Man- only thing could have topped that off, would have been an impromptu Kung Fu match right in front of you. Or a Triad shoutout. Haha

For that, there would have had to have been more than one Chinese person in the entire restaurant.

Edited by Ridureyu, 15 February 2015 - 08:38 PM.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#7 Sixthwizard

Sixthwizard

6thWizard

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1977 posts

Posted 15 February 2015 - 08:31 PM

Stakeout time

Edited by Sixthwizard, 15 February 2015 - 08:32 PM.

#8 Jesse

Jesse

They should really get a breathalyzer on thi site

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1051 posts
  • Interests:Fistful of power, Universe of violence and random odds and ends...

Posted 15 February 2015 - 10:33 PM

Oh goood thats one bad restarant.

And seriously dont go to the basement(the place with terrifying courtains. Was it basement?) if you dont want to become someones "raw pork"

Edited by Jesse, 15 February 2015 - 10:34 PM.

#9 Flashbax

Flashbax

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Head writer/editor for ToyRobot Magazine

Owner at Flashbax Toy Store

Transformers, Transforming robots, Godzilla, Dino Riders, D&D

Posted 16 February 2015 - 04:53 AM

heh sounds likes a typical midwestern attempt by a few random dudes. Hell all the Pizza and food joints here have farm equipment on the walls. you haven't lived till you've put a few nails through your feet ion some random board laying in a barn

Just a dude that loves collecting

#10 Sixthwizard

Sixthwizard

6thWizard

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1977 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:21 AM

Was the only person working missing a finger?  Or is that only with Yakuza?

#11 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 3561 posts
  • Interests:Digital Media, Travel, LRGs
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:07 AM

I went to a seedy Chinese place in STL a while back, but it wasn't nearly this bad (and the food was actually pretty good)

And as greasy as that place sounds, it could still be worse...

#12 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:44 AM

In my province all restaurants have to go through inspection and get graded with either red, yellow, or green. Green is no infractions, yellow is passable and red is instant shut down.

To add to this, they have to display their rating for patrons in a way that they will see it before they order.

Your city needs this system.
<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#13 Sixthwizard

Sixthwizard

6thWizard

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1977 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:48 AM

Oh- we have those too.....haha...nothing a little money cant fix-

#14 Rubberhammer

Rubberhammer

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2463 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 11:40 AM

Hell all the Pizza and food joints here have farm equipment on the walls.

Hahaha!  I know what you mean, man!

The Pizza Hut, here in my hometown, has a damn 12 gauge shotgun on the wall, along with any number of other rusty, "farm" implements.

#15 Sixthwizard

Sixthwizard

6thWizard

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1977 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 11:52 AM

You guys sure ya weren't in a CrackerBarrel?  haha....

#16 TheRiddler

TheRiddler

????????????

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2357 posts

Posted 16 February 2015 - 12:39 PM

you think they have any yelp reviews ? lol

#17 imperfecz

imperfecz

Götter

• Members