Theme© by Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

Transformers Device Label Ravage (USB thumb drive)

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 KungFuMan

KungFuMan

Master of the Palm and Foot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 07:31 PM

I think many people will agree to liking Soundwave in the old Transformers line. Maybe it was the roboticized Doctor Claw voice, or the fact that he's one of the few G1 toys that really made a good transition all around. But besides that, the dude had a posse: Rumble, Frenzy, Laserbeak, Ratbat, Buzzsaw, and Ravage. And back in the day, Ravage was one of my favorites, simply because heck, it's a badass panther.

...However with that said G1 Ravage was kinda odd, especially since the dude was very thing due to the tapedeck origins. So for a good while my Soundwave's gone without his little buddy...that is until now.

Attached File  transforming_flash_drive.jpg   35.21K   28 downloads

In 2009 Takara released an "updated" Ravage, now a USB drive instead of a tape. And oddly enough it not only works, it looks pretty cool too. Coming in sizes of 1, 2, 4GB, or 8GB, one big appeal about this toy/utility is that it actually has a decent sized body. It's got good joints and articulation too where needed, though the head could have used a bit more. Still you can put the legs how you want and that's going to be a big bit of appeal. Plus it's a fully-functional USB drive, with a switch to extend or pull back the connector as needed, guaranteeing it's protected. It's straightforward enough to figure out how to transform it without breaking it, another big plus.

The only downsides I have with this figure are the lack of the side missiles the original toy had, though it's possible to attach them with how the body is designed if you did some custom ones: to my knowledge the original Ravage missiles will be too small. The jaw also has a very loose hinge, meaning that without something to keep it placed as needed it effectively dangles open. However this aspect is possibly exclusive to the bootleg version (see below).

For those interested, a variant "autobot" version has also been released: white tiger Tigatron. Which is a bit confusing because if you look him up he's actually from Beast Wars but I digress. You can actually find this very cheap on eBay too for the interested. Something to note though: there's apparently a chinese bootleg of Ravage available as well, which actually isn't a bad little item: it's roughly 20% bigger, and is the version I own myself (a friend has the actual Takara toy/device, but I wasn't able to confirm the mouth behavior prior to writing this). The one thing that annoys me a little about this version? Blue decepticon symbol. Yeesh.

Attached File  tigatron_usb_flash_drive_1.jpg   18.03K   30 downloads

All around though, it's a dandy little item, and with the XBox 360 now supporting thumb drives you could do worse.

Edited by KungFuMan, 22 April 2010 - 07:32 PM.

#2 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:31 PM

Device Label Cheetor also comes out next month in Japan. Toshiba was supposed to release the USBs and mice (Grimlock/Trypticon) in the US, but it already happened, or won't happen? Kinda confusing.

Also, the official releases don't come in multiple styles. Just 2GB.

#3 Merovingian

Merovingian

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E. & NKE 6.0 Mutants

Posted 22 April 2010 - 09:45 PM

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Absolutely going to pick up one of those USB drives :woot:
~ Merovingian ~
http://www.littlerubberguys.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30320&view=findpost&p=264442

#4 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 22 April 2010 - 11:24 PM

I think it would if been better if they were MicroSD readers instead of just memory sticks. Very cool tho.

Edited by Ericnilla, 22 April 2010 - 11:33 PM.

#5 KungFuMan

KungFuMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 05:17 AM

[query]Toshiba was supposed to release the USBs and mice (Grimlock/Trypticon) in the US, but it already happened, or won't happen?[/query]

I remember seeing them in a toshiba catalog at work, but going for stupid money ($40!) Both Ravage and Tigatron were available though.

#6 PhantomDusclops92

PhantomDusclops92

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 11:11 AM

Also, the Blaster-USB hub is awesome. It can even store a G1 cassette!

#7 Imp

Imp

Cranky Gorillaz Gal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2367 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:10 PM

White Tigratron with slight repaint = Shattered Glass's Chatty Cathy ~ Ravage. ;-)

Posted ImagePosted Image

Congratulations! Taxes, titles, licenses, and fees, not included.

My Live Journal. Because obviously you need to know how my day went. How's yours?

#8 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 12:50 PM

I remember seeing them in a toshiba catalog at work, but going for stupid money ($40!) Both Ravage and Tigatron were available though.

Uhh, query tags?

I've seen the same Toshiba catalog images scanned, but no word on anybody who has purchased them, or if they are continuing to be released. It's oddly silent on the matter.

#9 KungFuMan

KungFuMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:51 PM

Sorry, I was half-awake and the board was glitching on me. Oddly enough 8GB "official" looking Ravage drives are popping up on eBay, though all the sellers are Chinese and there's no visible Tigatron variant. Guess someone over there's been busy.

Edited by KungFuMan, 23 April 2010 - 07:52 PM.

#10 Merovingian

Merovingian

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 683 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E. & NKE 6.0 Mutants

Posted 23 April 2010 - 07:57 PM

Sorry, I was half-awake and the board was glitching on me. Oddly enough 8GB "official" looking Ravage drives are popping up on eBay, though all the sellers are Chinese and there's no visible Tigatron variant. Guess someone over there's been busy.

Yea, some of the reviews I saw were for bootlegs, but still had good marks...

Personally, if it comes from China (Hong Kong) I dont bid... not for political reasons just because its usually some sort of scam, knock off or other problem.

Personally I rarely bid on anything that isnt: USA, Canada, UK, Australia, or Japan... Ive bought a few things from Brazil and France, but as a general rule I try and stay away from anything that isnt, USA, Canada, UK, Australia, or Japan... makes me nervous.
~ Merovingian ~
http://www.littlerubberguys.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=30320&view=findpost&p=264442

#11 GRANDTHEFT

GRANDTHEFT

a.k.a. MISCHA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts

Posted 25 April 2010 - 11:47 PM

Wow
Great find.
does anyone own 1 yet?

Info does seem to be a bit hazy though.

So does the Ravage come in 8GB for sure? , and it's $40 , and available on ebay but only a china Bootleg?

damn i want 1.

can someone give me the heads up if they find one for sure.

Thanx

Mischa
There is a very fine line between
"Hobby" & "Mental illness"
................................................................................
I just want what every Muscle collector want's , MORE!
................................................................................

#12 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:23 AM

So does the Ravage come in 8GB for sure? , and it's $40 , and available on ebay but only a china Bootleg?

2GB. Only the bootlegs come in different sizes, like I said before.

Official ones are available online, but Ravage in particular was incredibly popular and sold out promptly. Tigatron is not as difficult to find, probably going to be the same way with Cheetor. When searching, also bear in mind the figure may be listed as "Jaguar", Ravage's Japanese name, instead.

http://www.tfsource....product_id/797/

http://www.amiami.jp.../e_display.html

#13 KungFuMan

KungFuMan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 273 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 05:50 AM

All the ones on eBay for Ravage that are 2GB and *look* exactly the same run about $10.50 on average at the moment...though all the ones I've seen listed are from Hong Kong too, so they could be bootlegs. It's difficult to tell, especially since the 4 gig version runs $14-20 and looks almost exactly the same save for a blue decepticon icon.

Only one 8GB bootleg seems to be up at the moment, running $30. Keep in mind though these are all from Hong Kong, but with free shipping.

Google Shopping did turn up *one* (apparent) surefire Device Label one from an online store...but it's a whopping $50!
http://www.yahobby.c...vage-p-646.html

Edited by KungFuMan, 27 April 2010 - 05:53 AM.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com