• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#26 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts
  • Interests:Former Pro Wrestler so naturally Wrestling, Kinnikuman, Saint Seiya, Kinkeshi, Deka Kinkeshi & throw in some AoA!

Posted 14 May 2018 - 08:30 AM

Last day in Hong Kong before I fly to Thailand on Tuesday. I visited Toy Zone today (moved to a new location) and you can find an interview with the owner on YouTube (he has very ambitious goals: he wants the store to be Hong Kongs version of Mandarake).

The place is big and almost too much stuff to look at & they sell stuff for other people as well (I found kinkeshi hidden in a corner but 1: I already had all of them 2:they wanted almost 20 bucks for about 30 common sculpt kinkeshi).

Afterwards I hit Ins Point one last time (4th visit this trip!)

This is the final Monday/Hong Kong haul...

Attached Files

Edited by kayfabe1985, 14 May 2018 - 08:34 AM.

#27 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts
  • Interests:Former Pro Wrestler so naturally Wrestling, Kinnikuman, Saint Seiya, Kinkeshi, Deka Kinkeshi & throw in some AoA!

Posted 16 May 2018 - 09:52 AM

Arrived in Thailand and I visited 2 places first (MBK & Central World). Both are malls but one (MBK) had (past tense as that is no longer the case) a very Otaku-centric floor dedicated to Japanese knick nacks and kitsch.

The only thing left in MBK is a maid cafe and animate (which had gashapon machines).

Central World has a Toys R Us which are not closed overseas and this one had a ton of gashapon machines!

It also has a Japanese bookstore with current/old manga and magazines.

I am pretty sure some of these stores have branches in the U.S.

I bought a Kamen Rider Sofubi magazine from Japan and a Weekly Shonen Jump Kinnikuman Special released last year; I had been meaning to buy it but because of shipping, O just kept putting off (the prices are pretty much the same as in Japan) so it was practical to buy it in person.

I also watched Deadpool 2 and it was apparently "movie day" in Bangkok and I paid about 5 EUR for a ticket. Here Deadpool is rated: 15+ !!!

Attached Files

Edited by kayfabe1985, 16 May 2018 - 10:28 AM.

#28 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5096 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 16 May 2018 - 11:29 AM

Kinokuniya totally exists stateside, been to one before and have seen their booths at conventions.

Lucky you, getting to see Deadpool 2 already!

Edited by BaltanII, 16 May 2018 - 11:30 AM.

#29 DetectiveFork

DetectiveFork

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 16 May 2018 - 01:53 PM

It's cool to see Toys R Us is still growing strong somewhere.

#30 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 02:00 AM

Visited two places today: Mega Plaza and Always One Plaza

This was a throwback to my childhood; if you grew up in a big city or the hood lol this will sound familiar.

I grew up in the Southside of Chicago and I remember places like Mega Plaza; crammed with tiny stores and crowded. Like Chinatown pretty much but with toys!

Some of the prices in Bangkok for sofubi or vintage toys are outrages but I did find some bargains and one always haggles on prices.

I bought a lot of Kamen Rider Sofubi and most Henshin (Kamen Rider/Super Sentai) DVDs from the Showa Period (1970-1989) for super cheap (bootlegs of course).

Attached Files

Edited by kayfabe1985, 17 May 2018 - 02:04 AM.

#31 DaHumorist

DaHumorist

ig: @itsgregstoys

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 17 May 2018 - 09:43 AM

I visited the Mega Plaza on my recent honeymoon trip to Thailand. That place is an absolute wonderland of toys. I really should post up all the pictures I took there...

#32 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 02:35 AM

Last day in Bangkok (but not the last day in Thailand! Headed to an island as I promised my wife some fun and sun besides toy hunting).

So I went back to Mega Plaza and bought some more stuff!

Some Popy vinyl Ultraman figures, 2 Kamen Riders I overlooked and some Super Sentai figures from Japan.

Once I hit Malaysia next week I'll report on the toy hunt!

I also bought some more Sentai seasons and found out they had the Kamen Rider in Bluray (way better quality) and the customer service is always awesome in Asia.

The seller let me exchange the DVD versions for the Blurays :)

Attached Files

Edited by kayfabe1985, 18 May 2018 - 02:39 AM.

#33 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 02:40 AM

I visited the Mega Plaza on my recent honeymoon trip to Thailand. That place is an absolute wonderland of toys. I really should post up all the pictures I took there...

What was your toy haul?

#34 DaHumorist

DaHumorist

ig: @itsgregstoys

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 18 May 2018 - 10:40 AM

What was your toy haul?

I was actually able to restrain myself and didn't go too crazy. I picked up these guys from Mega Plaza....

Attached File  kaiju1.png   474.69K   3 downloadsAttached File  kaiju2.png   400.75K   3 downloads

...and met up with instagram user raiprotohuman to pick up this guy...

Attached File  Sphynx Tekno-Beast.png   386.46K   1 downloads

To summarize that experience: I met a Russian guy on the internet who promised me toys, so I met him under the train tracks in a foreign country and followed him down an alley by myself with no working phone. Everything worked out great.

#35 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts

Posted 26 May 2018 - 09:09 PM

After more than a week in Krabi (Thailand island) relaxing in a bungalow I have arrived in Malaysia.

Not toy related but we had a ton of monkeys outside our bungalow!

Attached Files

Edited by kayfabe1985, 26 May 2018 - 09:12 PM.

#36 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts

Posted 27 May 2018 - 04:50 PM

Malaysia:

1-"Solo" started last Thursday
*I don't know how this is possible but I paid for a weekend showing at night (8:30 pm) the equivalent of 7.50 EUR for 2 people! (3.75 each)
2-DC Comics theme cafe/restaurant
*As a kid I would have killed for something like this!

Attached Files

Edited by kayfabe1985, 27 May 2018 - 04:53 PM.

#37 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 08:57 AM

First stop in Malaysia was not necessarily toy shopping but I wanted more Super Sentai/Kamen Rider/Ultraman Seasons so I went to Chinatown.

More specifically to Hiro Comic World Shop (owned by a woman from Japan). They have 2 locations (1 with Manga and one with DVDs/traditional tourist souvenirs).

I know I can probably stream all these shows but I like holding them in my hand.

I had a conversation with the owner using my rudimentary Japanese/broken English and back in its heyday the DVD location was exclusively only DVDs but as that went the side of the Dodo...it always amazes me how people (to be fair mostly people over 35 or 40) are always surprised that Americans or anyone outside of Japan likes the kind of stuff I or most people in the community like.

Almost have a complete run of Kamen Rider/Super Sentai/Ultraman

DVDs bought at:

Hiro Comic World Shop

29, Jalan Petaling, City Centre, 50000 Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur

Game Shop (inside Sungei Wang Plaza 2nd Floor)

Jalan Bukit Bintang, Bukit Bintang, 55100 Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur

Attached Files

Edited by kayfabe1985, 29 May 2018 - 06:25 AM.

#38 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5096 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 28 May 2018 - 09:56 AM

Ugh, Chaiyo discs...

#39 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 04:24 PM

Sungei Wang Plaza

Jalan Bukit Bintang, Bukit Bintang, 55100 Kuala Lumpur, Wilayah Persekutuan Kuala Lumpur

This place had more Gashapon machines than Hong Kong and Thailand! I did not even take pictures of the rest of them (they went all around the floor).

All located in 1 floor (no kinnikuman kinkeshi though).

Lots of cats and dogs rolled into Sushi rolls or coming out of dumplings.

Attached Files

Edited by kayfabe1985, 29 May 2018 - 06:27 AM.

#40 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 05:03 PM

b Originality (inside Sungei Wang Plaza, 2nd Floor)

Cool store that mostly sold used Super Sentai/Ultraman/Kamen Rider toys exclusively.

Not the plan but I ended up buying Japanese Sentai Ranger keys (for about 1 EUR each)

Edited by kayfabe1985, 29 May 2018 - 06:25 AM.

#41 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts

Posted 28 May 2018 - 11:29 PM

Some b Originality & haul pics (I went two times and talked to owner on the 2nd visit; talked Pro Wrestling!)

Attached Files

Edited by kayfabe1985, 28 May 2018 - 11:37 PM.

#42 Crunkenstein

Crunkenstein

Krunk-en-sh-tEYEn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Living up to my name

Posted 30 May 2018 - 01:39 PM

EDITED: Apparently this post was not found very humorous.

Edited by Crunkenstein, 03 June 2018 - 09:08 AM.

#43 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts

Posted 31 May 2018 - 08:42 AM

Arrived in Singapore and I visited a great museum: mint museum of toys (I wish more places like this existed! Some real gems)

Attached Files

Edited by kayfabe1985, 31 May 2018 - 08:52 AM.

#44 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts

Posted 01 June 2018 - 06:38 AM

Not a ton of toy shopping to be had in Singapore, I visited two malls (each had toy stores inside):

-Plaza Singapura
-Havelock II

Just bought some more Ranger keys (one store did have a ton of vintage transformers and 1 Buffalo Man sofubi)

Attached Files

Edited by kayfabe1985, 01 June 2018 - 06:46 AM.

#45 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts

Posted 10 June 2018 - 10:28 AM

Final post about my travels: On my last night in Singapore I went to a Toys R Us and bought something! I had not bought anything at a Toys R Us in at least 16 years.

For nostalgia purposes and because I never had a chance to buy anything back home before it closed (last time I was in Chicago was about 6 years ago). For the last 3 days of my trip I got to celebrate my birthday in Thailand (yup went back to Bangkok).

Did some final toy hunting and got some awesome presents from my wife!

All in all a wonderful 29 day vacation! A friend from back home who recently took a sabbatical said it was for 28 days (here in Germany that is the average vacation time for each person!).

Attached File  20180604_142522.jpg   181.42K   1 downloadsAttached File  20180604_142533.jpg   144.72K   1 downloads

Edited by kayfabe1985, 10 June 2018 - 10:29 AM.

#46 DetectiveFork

DetectiveFork

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 176 posts

Posted 20 June 2018 - 11:05 AM

I'm so envious of your vacation time. lol I'm fortunate to have almost four weeks, but's it frowned upon to use more than a week at once. Anyway, you had once heck of a nice haul. Your wife collects toys, too?

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com