• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 RedMoaiMan

RedMoaiMan

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 507 posts
  • Interests:Collecting M.U.S.C.L.E. figures, making unique ooak art dolls, and what ever else catches my interests/inspires my creativity.

Posted 06 November 2017 - 03:02 PM

OK guys, I'm gonna reveal one of my "trade secrets" to you guys. Some of you may already know about/have used this technique before, so it might not be that much of a secret after all. Hot glue makes an excellent masking material for dyeable plastics. It's how I made the stripes on Wallie, my watermelon baby :D I just dyed him a light yellowish green color first, and then drew his stripes on with hot glue. Then I dyed him a darker green, and just peeled the hot glue off after I cooled him off with cold water. The hot glue hardens to a strong rubbery consistency after this is done. And then he was a light and dark green striped watermelon baby :lol: Now that I contributed this to you all, maybe you can help me use it for M.U.S.C.L.E. figures. The problem with it is scale/size. The hot glue gun nozzle is simply too big to do any fine detail work small enough for M.U.S.C.L.E. figs. I was wanting to do a wood grain color on a flesh MoaiMan specifically to start with. By using light and dark brown dye in the previously described manner, using hot glue to make the swirls typical of wood grain in sanded and stained/varnished wood. Does anybody have any ideas on how I can do it? Or what I can squeeze the hot glue through that's small enough to do it? I was thinking of the needle off a hypo syringe, but the screw on base on those are plastic and there is no way of reliably attaching it to the glue gun nozzle that is melt proof :confused: And if I used a complete syringe to do it, the glue would probably cool and solidify to quickly to squeeze it through. This has got me stumped. Anybody have any ideas I haven't thought about :unknw: :wallbash:  

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Dye Jobs, Masking, M.U.S.C.L.E., Hot Glue

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com