• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 greyeagle06

greyeagle06

Excited for Princess Peach Showtime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:All things Nintendo, Mega Man, Pokemon, Sonic the hedghog, M.u.s.c.l.e., Jim Henson, Lego Ninjago, Bionicle, Star Wars, (Some) Disney, G.I. Joe, Food and Company mascot figures, and Little Rubber Guys

Posted 02 July 2020 - 02:27 PM

Hello! I hope this is not a weird question and that it has not already been discussed. This is my 3rd attempt to get into M.u.s.c.l.e. collecting. I have been trying on and off for the last couple years but eventually l just lose motivation/desire to keep collecting M.u.s.c.l.e. I was just wondering how you keep yourself motivated and on track and also some tips for how to stay motivated myself. Thank you for stopping bye!

Looking for more M.u.s.c.l.e.

#2 SamuraiCC

SamuraiCC

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 02 July 2020 - 03:17 PM

Hey, you say you lose motivation/desire to keep collecting but then you get it back & start collecting again, well thats fine. Sounds pretty normal to me, I'm like that with some collections I've got. Just get bits here & there sporadically & over time the collection still grows as long as you dont go & sell your collection everytime you 'loose interest' otherwise you'll be starting at square one every time! Dont worry too much about the losing motivation stuff & more think of it as a long term endeavour, always there to pick up where you left off.

But on the otherhand if you really want to step it up then having buddies to trade & discuss the hobby with can give you a boost.

#3 greyeagle06

greyeagle06

Excited for Princess Peach Showtime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Interests:All things Nintendo, Mega Man, Pokemon, Sonic the hedghog, M.u.s.c.l.e., Jim Henson, Lego Ninjago, Bionicle, Star Wars, (Some) Disney, G.I. Joe, Food and Company mascot figures, and Little Rubber Guys

Posted 02 July 2020 - 03:50 PM

Thanks!

Looking for more M.u.s.c.l.e.

#4 MUSCLETOYS

MUSCLETOYS

Happily stuck in the past

• Legends
  • 355 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E., Keshi, Minifigs, Baseball Cards, Travel, Disc Golf, Bigfoot, Pizza, Beer

Posted 15 January 2021 - 07:53 AM

Hello! I hope this is not a weird question and that it has not already been discussed. This is my 3rd attempt to get into M.u.s.c.l.e. collecting. I have been trying on and off for the last couple years but eventually l just lose motivation/desire to keep collecting M.u.s.c.l.e. I was just wondering how you keep yourself motivated and on track and also some tips for how to stay motivated myself. Thank you for stopping bye!

Heh Heh.. you're looking at the King of 'Burnt out collectors' here. I at one time owned nearly every piece of M.U.S.C.L.E. collectibles that existed, save for a few items like the M.U.S.C.L.E. Hauler and Nestle Tube. I had thousands of figures back in the day.  Heck.. for awhile, I was giving them away as an incentive for people to buy an M.P.S. Membership. Eventually, I felt like I had pretty much done all I could do with M.U.S.C.L.E. collecting, and as my collection just sat, it didn't bring me much joy. I eventually sold off and gave away most everything so others could enjoy it the way I once did.

I wish I had been one of those collectors who was laser focused on only one toy line, but to me.. variety is the spice of life. I collected EVERYTHING that struck my fancy over the years, so it was really easy for me to get distracted and walk away for months or even years from M.U.S.C.L.E.  I collected Sci-Fi, Pop Culture, Tiki, Disney, Star Trek, MIMPs, Gi Joe, Pins, obsolete tech, Vintage Mc Donalds toys, Beer Memorabilia, PEZ, Hot Wheels, 70s, 80s and 90s TV toys, Board Games, Books, etc. etc. etc. etc.

Over the last two years, I've been purging my collection. Call it minimalizing or decluttering my life if you will. Towards the end (which I am rapidly approaching now), the only pieces I have left are my all pink collection of 236 M.U.S.C.L.E. Men, a few assorted Keshi, and some various collectibles I can't throw away due to having a true and emotional connection with. M.U.S.C.L.E. is one of those things that I never knew exactly how much I cherished until now. This is why you may see me around more since my life is much less cluttered, chaotic, and I have way less distraction. This pandemic had a lot to do with how I collect, and spend my money now. When I reassessed my life in 2020 like so many of us have done, It was easier to let go of the things that were not bringing me any type of joy or fulfillment.

So hang in there. It's okay to step away and come back to it when you're ready. Me.. my kids are grown, and I am now enjoying more free time to spend on hobbies, so maybe I'll se ya around the boards more in the future.

Cheers!

#5 Sydot

Sydot

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 10:23 AM

Not sure how much this applies to muscle collecting but for me it’s the thrill of hunting.

I collect lots of little rubber guys, bootleg and KO toys as well as general horror/sci-fi and fantasy stuff.

Going to flea markets and thrift stores feels almost like a form of gambling to me. Feels like I can hit the jackpot if I find something cool but there is a low financial cost of entry so i’m really just gambling with my time which keeps me motivated and coming back for more.

Seeing lots of the interesting toys that other people find that I have never seen or heard of keeps me going to because it feels like there is always something new out there!

But I agree when it comes to a single toy line. I have focused on single lines trying to find the last few figs and it’s tough. For example I needed 1 ninja mite for almost 2 years and doing those routine searches felt tedious.

www.instagram.com/sydot_toys

#6 mulder2019

mulder2019

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 92 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 02:11 PM

Not sure how much this applies to muscle collecting but for me it’s the thrill of hunting.

I collect lots of little rubber guys, bootleg and KO toys as well as general horror/sci-fi and fantasy stuff.

Going to flea markets and thrift stores feels almost like a form of gambling to me. Feels like I can hit the jackpot if I find something cool but there is a low financial cost of entry so i’m really just gambling with my time which keeps me motivated and coming back for more.

Seeing lots of the interesting toys that other people find that I have never seen or heard of keeps me going to because it feels like there is always something new out there!

But I agree when it comes to a single toy line. I have focused on single lines trying to find the last few figs and it’s tough. For example I needed 1 ninja mite for almost 2 years and doing those routine searches felt tedious.

Hi Sydot, I just wanted to say that I really enjoy your IG page and seeing all of your flea market finds. I am just a lurker (I don’t have an IG account), but I really dig your taste in old toys and am envious of all the flea markets you have access to!

#7 Sydot

Sydot

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 646 posts

Posted 21 January 2021 - 03:29 PM

Hi Sydot, I just wanted to say that I really enjoy your IG page and seeing all of your flea market finds. I am just a lurker (I don’t have an IG account), but I really dig your taste in old toys and am envious of all the flea markets you have access to!

Thanks a ton my dude! It’s super fun and I have met so many people on there and on here while just sharing toys!

Yeah, there are def some good ones around me and and I’m in a good spot to be able to hit PA and NJ ones,, but at the same time one thing that’s hard to relay on there is that I hit 3x as many fleas as I post about and they’re often strike outs so only posting the success stories feels like cheating a bit.

www.instagram.com/sydot_toys

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: muscle, m.u.s.c.l.e, topics, muscle figures, mattel

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com