Theme© by Fisana

Photo

Which "Battle Beasts" line will you likely support?

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

Poll: Which "Battle Beasts" line will you likely support? (66 member(s) have cast votes)

Which "Battle Beasts" line will you likely support?

1. Diamond Select's Battle Beasts (5 votes [7.58%])

Percentage of vote: 7.58%

2. Takara / Tomy's Beast Saga (30 votes [45.45%])

Percentage of vote: 45.45%

3. Plastic Imagination's Rise of the Beasts (2 votes [3.03%])

Percentage of vote: 3.03%

4. Classic Battle Beasts and Laser Beasts only (5 votes [7.58%])

5. Glyos Armorvors (5 votes [7.58%])

6. Any I can get my shaking hands on (19 votes [28.79%])

Percentage of vote: 28.79%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 DSTZach

DSTZach

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:06 PM

I was a skeptic at first, though after seeing the ram I'm on board. Any word on if they'll be released in TRU in Canada?

It's always kinda random, what they take and what they don't, but hopefully they'll take these.

#27 DSTZach

DSTZach

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:12 PM

Just because I can but the DST BB at TRU, doesn't mean that I will. I suffer from severe mate-hate, and there isn't a cartoon or comic out there that can make me buy them.

We get it, ironmask. You don't like Minimates. Still not sure why, and still willing to bet that seeing the production pieces on the pegs will weaken your resolve, but... we get it.

#28 salazar4id

salazar4id

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts
  • Interests:Around for any RARE Laser Beasts.

Posted 19 April 2012 - 12:39 AM

Will someone just release one already.! I can take getting my hopes up and boom.! Nothing.! Beast Saga: Awesome diamond minimate version: awesome first one to hit the shelves or release on the Internet, I'm sold.!

#29 trumanshower

trumanshower

Eternal Truman of the spotless mind

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1384 posts
  • Interests:dragonautes, monster in my pocket, fistful of power, motu, cosmix, luxioles etc etc...

Posted 19 April 2012 - 04:32 AM

beast saga, definitively !!

French collector of Battle Beasts, Monster in my pocket and a bunch of other toys !!
FoP facebook page : https://www.facebook.../fistfulofpower

Boogaz facebook group : https://www.facebook...810983082984202

#30 mannakat

mannakat

Electro Beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Interests:Creature junkie, werewolves, dinosaurs

Posted 19 April 2012 - 09:54 AM

Wow, been a way for a while and come back to this. Pretty nice surprise!

For me, probably the Beast Saga or ROTB, as far as a 'new' series. I like the sculpts, not necessarily that they're based on the original Battle Beasts.

The Glyos would probably be too pricy for me, but they are badass.

I do like where DST went with their figures, but I don't know. Will have to see the final product and how some of the other figures look. Something still seems... off.
It might sound snooty, but I'm still attaching the old look with the new, just through the name. I guess I'd prefer it if they added a 'of the' or something to make a slight alteration to the 'Battle Beasts' title, and there's a reason for it...
.... Cause' it would be pretty neat if they found a way for the new-bloods to be introduced to their predecessors. Might not fit into the story they're crafting, but it seems... right? I don't know.
I just remember the Beast Wars series, and how they made them unique to their series and for their follow-up, Beast Machines. You knew they were related to Transformers, but that they were each unique to their specific line/designs. I like that setup, and kind of wish more companies would make similar alterations with their series/extended series.

But that's just me, and I'm picky :confused:

In any case, I hope all of them do well, and perhaps a few might give a little recognition to the original line to educate the youngins' and pay a little homage. Stuff seems to be hard to come by with some relaunches *cough cough, looking at Fisher-Price and their Mega T-Rex*

Edited by khaomera, 19 April 2012 - 09:57 AM.

#31 buttheadsmate

buttheadsmate

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:41 PM

Edit: Does anybody know if the yellow gator was every available? or was that just promo pics for the early announcement of the DST minimate carrier?

'lord's' avatar of the yellow 'gator is the closest you'll get because it was never released ....I'd love a prototype.

#32 lord

lord

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 931 posts

Posted 19 April 2012 - 02:48 PM

The yellow gator prototype is for me ^^ Or we can agree on an alternating custody.

More serious, Zach could you tell us if such a prototype exists and if so how many were produced ?

#33 DSTZach

DSTZach

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 08:34 PM

The yellow gator prototype is for me ^^ Or we can agree on an alternating custody.

More serious, Zach could you tell us if such a prototype exists and if so how many were produced ?

First I've heard of a prototype, first I've noticed yours isn't gold. I'm sure it's lost to the sands of time, but we usually only make one prototype, just to save money.

#34 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10723 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 09:16 PM

We get it, ironmask. You don't like Minimates. Still not sure why, and still willing to bet that seeing the production pieces on the pegs will weaken your resolve, but... we get it.

Impressive, beginning and ending a statement with the same three words, while accusing me of being pedantic. Very good.

Look, all chattiness aside, I think it is good of you, to come here and try to gauge what our interest is and I appreciate you trying to keep the line alive.
I'm not going to turn this into another "Mate-Hate" rant, because, well... You get it. However, I think it's a common sentiment (maybe not a majority, but the majority of us that aren't falling into lock-step with what DST is offering) that the visible, industrial Mates parts are disappointing. Some fans of the old Beasts, prefer the style of the old school Beasts, and the scale. We like the bulbous proportions, and the rounded/cartoony nature of the pieces.

There are some, that fell in love with the concept and not the presentation of the pieces, and I'm sure they will be buying your offerings as fast as you can make them. If you were to ever offer an alternative closer to the older style, I would have to consider... But for now, here we are.

-Fe

(p.s. Once, long ago, I purchased your Daredevil/Bullseye mate set... I love Bullseye, hell, who doesn't? Let's just say "It wasn't a good experience", and leave it at that.)

Edited by ironmask, 20 April 2012 - 09:19 PM.

#35 buttheadsmate

buttheadsmate

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:00 AM

Since seeing the pictures I may well buy the Takara line as well as the Minimate line . I'm comfortable with what DST are doing with the Battle Beast line although as I'm a minimate completist & have never owned any of the original items then that wouldn't be surprising !

It is extremely ironic that 'ironmask' chose to mention the DD/Bullseye pack which was released 8 years ago when 2" Minimates had been on the market for less than a year . That original Bullseye came packed with either the Battle Damaged DD or Unmasked DD (variant) ....these two DDs would never appear in anybody's 'My Favourite Minimate' list although many old-timers hold ol' Lester in high regard ,myself amongst them .
The 'irony' lies in the fact that DST released a new version some 5 years later sporting a 'slip-on' mask, which for the uninitiated is a painted 'covering' for the original standard headpiece rather than a separate mask. This innovation caused huge controversy amongst Minimates purists ....some loving ,some hating. Whatever your opinion is there is no doubting that the 2nd. version of Bullseye ain't nothing like the first.......

Attached File  fig0027flg.jpg   17.36K   25 downloads Attached File  fig0818flg.jpg   17.85K   28 downloads

This updated version of Bullseye has become one of the most sought-after (read-expensive) Minimates on the secondary market whilst the first version has been consigned to the 'fond memory' department.

Similarly the recently released version of Unmasked DD ought to be compared with the original that was sold with the original Bullseye. Can you guess which is the new one? :rolleyes:

I thank the Minimate Database (in advance) for the use of their superb photos ....I value my testicles too much not to do so.

Attached Files

Edited by buttheadsmate, 21 April 2012 - 07:03 AM.

#36 Toxoviper

Toxoviper

Toy Addict

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1269 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:58 AM

After the Beast Saga preorders with images went up this is not even a contest.

They are a update to the originals in every way.
Robotic Armor, Squat Bodies, Arm Articulation, Weapons, Game Mechanic.

I look forward to seeing if anyone changes their mind and opinion moving forward.

#37 soundwave810

soundwave810

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 12:09 PM

After the Beast Saga preorders with images went up this is not even a contest.

They are a update to the originals in every way.
Robotic Armor, Squat Bodies, Arm Articulation, Weapons, Game Mechanic.

I look forward to seeing if anyone changes their mind and opinion moving forward.

I actually did change my mind. When I first read this thread I had voted on "anything I could get my hands" on but as more info came out on Beast Saga and managing to acquire A Saikyo Jump w/ the 3rd part of the story, I've switched to supporting Beast Saga. Not that I'm hating on DSTs Battle Beasts, and I'm willing to give it a shot, but Beast Saga seems to be the true successor to the 80's line and that's where my loyalty lies at the moment.

#38 ComradeCuttlefish

ComradeCuttlefish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:23 PM

I'm pretty sure retroactive80z, GJNL, and I are the only 3 people who still think of Battle Beasts only in terms of the original line.

What's with the lack of votes for this option? Are you people Battle Beasts collectors first or just toy collectors in general? I collect Battle Beasts, not just any old toy.

Edited by ComradeCuttlefish, 22 April 2012 - 01:24 PM.

#39 lord

lord

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 931 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 01:39 PM

I'm pretty sure retroactive80z, GJNL, and I are the only 3 people who still think of Battle Beasts only in terms of the original line.

What's with the lack of votes for this option? Are you people Battle Beasts collectors first or just toy collectors in general? I collect Battle Beasts, not just any old toy.

I'm not only a Battle Beasts collector but I can honnestly say that Battle Beasts are an obessesion for me. I have never stop collecting them, gathering informations, trying to bring interest on them, etc for now 15 years. It all started the day I found back my old figures in a shoes box at my parent's house. Since this day I have managed not only to get a full set of figures but a lot of novelties too (catalogs, comics, manga, magazines, store display, etc). I'm looking for anything related to the BB. I used to collect some others lines during the years but all are now gone. I only keep items that I have had when I was younger (nostalgia, what a big thing). So as a Battle Beasts lover I have to choose the "Any I can get my shaking hands on". The "Classic Battle Beasts and Laser Beasts only" is more for collectors that just like the original concept and don't accept it could evolve. The same thing happened with every toy lines (Star Wars, MOTU, Transformers, GI Joe, etc). You always have people that don't want their original figures to evolve and those who want everything related to. Who are the "true collectors" ? Both of them I would say. Everyone has his own vision of what a collection should be.

#40 Toxoviper

Toxoviper

Toy Addict

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1269 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:42 PM

I am a toy collector first.
I have collected the entire set of Beasts 1-112.
Why would I stop their when Takara is releasing brand a new line of Beasts ?

So no I do not collect any ole toy. But I do collect Takara/Tomy Transformers & Beastformers Old & New.

#41 ComradeCuttlefish

ComradeCuttlefish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

I am a toy collector first.
I have collected the entire set of Beasts 1-112.
Why would I stop their when Takara is releasing brand a new line of Beasts ?

So no I do not collect any ole toy. But I do collect Takara/Tomy Transformers & Beastformers Old & New.

These are stupid. Look at those hands. Look at those ridiculous chest plates. Look at those blocky legs and dumb crotch piece.

And he is right:

They remind me too much of these awful things:

Posted Image

Edited by ComradeCuttlefish, 22 April 2012 - 04:59 PM.

#42 Toxoviper

Toxoviper

Toy Addict

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1269 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:10 PM

These are stupid. Look at those hands. Look at those ridiculous chest plates. Look at those blocky legs and dumb crotch piece.

And he is right:

Your first comment gave me something to respond too.

Now your response is to say new Beasts designed in the same size and aesthetics as the 1980's are stupid ?

#43 ComradeCuttlefish

ComradeCuttlefish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:27 PM

Your first comment gave me something to respond too.

Now your response is to say new Beasts designed in the same size and aesthetics as the 1980's are stupid ?

My first comment was purely academic, and because I didn't care about your input, I deleted it. I think the new Beasts that Battle are effing stupid. You like them. Beyond that, who cares?

#44 lord

lord

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 931 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:48 PM

Just to understand your point of view ComradeCuttlefish. Do you think that collecting japanese SD BB is stupid ? That the "BB collectors" shouldn't care about them ? What about the Greek Beasts too ? Would you consider collecting them as a Battle Beasts collector ? In fact I don't understand what is the limit that let you say that this member is a Battle Beasts collector and this one isn't.

#45 ComradeCuttlefish

ComradeCuttlefish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:57 PM

Just to understand your point of view ComradeCuttlefish. Do you think that collecting japanese SD BB is stupid ? That the "BB collectors" shouldn't care about them ? What about the Greek Beasts too ? Would you consider collecting them as a Battle Beasts collector ? In fact I don't understand what is the limit that let you say that this member is a Battle Beasts collector and this one isn't.

Anything released by, licensed by Hasbro/Takara around the time the original Battle Beasts figures were released, or bootlegged using molds of the figures falls into the category of Battle Beasts collecting for me personally.

As an example, I'd be much more likely to don a pair of official "Warrior Goggles" than I would be to own a minimates Battle Beast.

Edited by ComradeCuttlefish, 22 April 2012 - 06:02 PM.

#46 mannakat

mannakat

Electro Beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Interests:Creature junkie, werewolves, dinosaurs

Posted 22 April 2012 - 05:59 PM

I think all of those that post in this part of the forum are original BB collectors first, but there is nothing wrong with having branching interests on top of that. Collecting the original BB's should go without saying, but people are getting excited about having something new. Is that really such a bad thing?

I also doubt you three are the only ones who think of 'Battle Beasts' solely as the original line. It seems pretty unanimous that nothing will be able to touch/replace/stand side-by-side with the originals, but for some of the new series they at least capture the spirit.

Edit: As an aside, I'm not entirely sure why the original BB's are listed in that pole. The only 'supporting' that will happen for those will be people getting others interested in older toys, there is no profit to be had and not much 'support' to give beyond moral. The others listed are both moral and financial, so really the originals are the odd ones out.

Edited by khaomera, 22 April 2012 - 06:02 PM.

#47 lord

lord

Serious Collector

• Legends
  • 931 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 06:36 PM

Anything released by, licensed by Hasbro/Takara around the time the original Battle Beasts figures were released, or bootlegged using molds of the figures falls into the category of Battle Beasts collecting for me personally.

As an example, I'd be much more likely to don a pair of official "Warrior Goggles" than I would be to own a minimates Battle Beast.

Your definition is some kind of ultra limited but it's your right. I don't say that you are wrong to limit yourself with items released in 1987/1988. I'm just surprised to discover that I'm not a Battle Beasts collector.

#48 ComradeCuttlefish

ComradeCuttlefish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 22 April 2012 - 07:11 PM

Your definition is some kind of ultra limited but it's your right. I don't say that you are wrong to limit yourself with items released in 1987/1988. I'm just surprised to discover that I'm not a Battle Beasts collector.

You are a Battle Beasts collector.

#49 organicbeets

organicbeets

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 06:34 AM

For me its Classics all the way.
The style of the BB and LB and the collecting is the reason we all come back, along with also having old school memories attached :crazy: Im mean the hologram and orb on those figures is elementally fascinating to me. While collecting you also get to see all different qualities of figures(fire,water,water,black&white rub, color rub, missing arms,diffet colors, being perfect, etc. Adds to the fun for me, finding those gems.

As far as minimates, and the Dst idea, im not liking those at all. Firstly, i dont really like a minimate of anything to begin with. The idea for me of having a line of BB in minimate style, size, or design would only invalidate some of the coolness that goes along with the original BB. Has the feeling of becoming over saturated and washed out. Is that the font(along the comic headline)they are going with for the words..BATTLE BEASTS, its sucks. Have you been looking on ebay recently, you have to wade through endless mate figures to find the original BB auctions, then again could be good...with some people focused on minimate BB the rest can get better deals on original BB. :D Anyway...

#50 Toxoviper

Toxoviper

Toy Addict

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1269 posts

Posted 30 April 2012 - 02:31 PM

For me its Classics all the way.
The style of the BB and LB and the collecting is the reason we all come back, along with also having old school memories attached :crazy: Im mean the hologram and orb on those figures is elementally fascinating to me. While collecting you also get to see all different qualities of figures(fire,water,water,black&white rub, color rub, missing arms,diffet colors, being perfect, etc. Adds to the fun for me, finding those gems.

As far as minimates, and the Dst idea, im not liking those at all. Firstly, i dont really like a minimate of anything to begin with. The idea for me of having a line of BB in minimate style, size, or design would only invalidate some of the coolness that goes along with the original BB. Has the feeling of becoming over saturated and washed out. Is that the font(along the comic headline)they are going with for the words..BATTLE BEASTS, its sucks. Have you been looking on ebay recently, you have to wade through endless mate figures to find the original BB auctions, then again could be good...with some people focused on minimate BB the rest can get better deals on original BB. :D Anyway...

I imagine with two new Battle Beasts lines collector interest will enter a all time high on the classic line.

You have no interest in the new Takara Tomy Beasts ?

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com