• Interests:MIMP
    Armorvors
    Crayboths
    MUSCLE
    SLUG Zombies
    OMFG

This and that - mostly that!

Posted 02 May 2015 - 10:02 AM

First of all, a thanks to those who encouraged me to give this a go, both in the past and more recently, as well as all the advice and support given, from members here, on Instagram and Facebook.

I decided to start with an Announcer (one of my favourite figures) as it's small as relatively simple in shape. I know I went OTT in the mold size, but didn't have many containers to choose from and wanted to get right into it. Next time, I'll find something better sized or make a LEGO mold. Anyways, you'll see from the pics that I used an air vent into the mic - thanks Eric. The detail looks pleasing from when I look into the mold itself - unfortunately my resin order didn't make it to me and due to a Bank Holiday weekend I won't get it anytime soon. Once I do though, I'll post some updates of what comes out. Very excited!! :thumbsup:

Attached File  image.jpg   30.97K   5 downloads
Attached File  image.jpg   86.73K   4 downloads

#2 Er0k26

Er0k26

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 352 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 10:05 AM

Cool good lucky.

#3 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
  • Interests:Creepers, chompies, iszs, zombies, trashies, tikis, minions, mordles, murlocs, mushroomies, skeletons, ghosts, gremlins, goblins, gargoyles, demons, devils, dryads, plant mutants, bug mutants, fish mutants, creatures with one eye, creatures with more than two eyes, other monsters, muties, and meanies. Stormtroopers, Jawas, Toy Story aliens, Hulk, Groot, Gilman, Gormiti, Cthulhu, Swamp Thing, Toxie, Treebeard, Muckman.
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Beetlejuice and Ghostbusters minis!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 02 May 2015 - 11:17 AM

It is great to see someone post their process.  Best of luck on this endeavor.  What is the specific product you used to make the mold?  How much did it cost? Where did you order it from? How much of the product did you use to make that single mold (as a percentage of the total amount of product that you bought)? Thanks.

#4 bigburty

bigburty

Cushty Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2409 posts
    Armorvors
    Crayboths
    MUSCLE
    SLUG Zombies
    OMFG

Posted 02 May 2015 - 12:55 PM

It is great to see someone post their process.  Best of luck on this endeavor.  What is the specific product you used to make the mold?  How much did it cost? Where did you order it from? How much of the product did you use to make that single mold (as a percentage of the total amount of product that you bought)? Thanks.

Thanks :thumbsup: It's worth mentioning first that the resin and powders I've ordered are from a UK-based company found at MBFG.co.uk which I was pointed in the direction of by several UK-based guys who mold and cast. Going back to the silicone I've used for the mold, I know I've paid over the odds for it and have used too much in this example, but it's called Blu-stuff and is sold on eBay UK, but is actually made by a guy who lives a couple miles from me (so I've since found out). It's very good quality and very quick to cure, but I may buy my next batch of silicone from MBFG as they have much cheaper options. The Blu-stuff cost me £15 for 200ml - I'll obviously decide just how good it is once I've put some resin in it and seen the first pull though :)

#5 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
  • Interests:Creepers, chompies, iszs, zombies, trashies, tikis, minions, mordles, murlocs, mushroomies, skeletons, ghosts, gremlins, goblins, gargoyles, demons, devils, dryads, plant mutants, bug mutants, fish mutants, creatures with one eye, creatures with more than two eyes, other monsters, muties, and meanies. Stormtroopers, Jawas, Toy Story aliens, Hulk, Groot, Gilman, Gormiti, Cthulhu, Swamp Thing, Toxie, Treebeard, Muckman.
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 02 May 2015 - 01:09 PM

That site is pretty overwhelming with all its supply options.  Is there a particular site you recommend with tutorials?  All the tutorials that I have been directed to, while they may be informative and completely apt, the outcome was always for an item completely unlike a LRG, so I don't know if they are even appropriate resources.  Like I say, they might be, but I am looking more for a specific LRG description of process. Best of luck, I will keep checking on you experiments.

#6 bigburty

bigburty

Cushty Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2409 posts
    Armorvors
    Crayboths
    MUSCLE
    SLUG Zombies
    OMFG

Posted 02 May 2015 - 01:14 PM

I haven't watched many tutorials really - just the Blu-stuff promotional video on YouTube where he molds a plastic figure. The rest is just a combination of having a go/taking onboard advice people have given me on here, Instgram and Facebook.

#7 MantisFang

MantisFang

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 656 posts

Posted 02 May 2015 - 11:15 PM

Loads of useful tutorials/info here.. http://www.youtube.c...ser/SmoothOnInc
Check Moldmaking and Casting section under playlists

Edited by MantisFang, 02 May 2015 - 11:23 PM.

#8 Jesse

Jesse

They should really get a breathalyzer on thi site

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1051 posts
  • Interests:Fistful of power, Universe of violence and random odds and ends...

Posted 03 May 2015 - 02:10 AM

For a first pull that is pretty darn good! :woot:
Is that guy a muscle fig btw?

I feel tempted to try myself and id have plenty of figs wich id like to copie, just cant find the time to get into any new stuff right now...

#9 bigburty

bigburty

Cushty Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2409 posts
    Armorvors
    Crayboths
    MUSCLE
    SLUG Zombies
    OMFG

Posted 03 May 2015 - 05:24 AM

For a first pull that is pretty darn good! :woot:
Is that guy a muscle fig btw?
I feel tempted to try myself and id have plenty of figs wich id like to copie, just cant find the time to get into any new stuff right now...

That's not the pulled figure matey, that's the original. I can't get a pull until my new resin arrives. In the meantime, I'm going to mold a second figure today, ready.

Edited by bigburty, 03 May 2015 - 05:25 AM.

#10 Jesse

Jesse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1051 posts

Posted 03 May 2015 - 07:32 AM

That's not the pulled figure matey, that's the original. I can't get a pull until my new resin arrives. In the meantime, I'm going to mold a second figure today, ready.

It looks the english was too hard for me then haha... Also left wondering how did you clean it so well but as it appears you didnt...
My bad :teehee:

#11 bigburty

bigburty

Cushty Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2409 posts
    Armorvors
    Crayboths
    MUSCLE
    SLUG Zombies
    OMFG

Posted 06 May 2015 - 01:29 PM

My first pull from the Announcer mold resulted in both positives and negatives. I was delighted with the detail transfer, especially the hair and body, plus he stands perfectly. Microphone is an obvious issue, plus a couple of tiny bubble on the glasses. Overalls though, a very pleasing first ever pull. Both mold silicone and resin have done their jobs at this early stage :thumbsup:

Attached File  image.jpg   80.21K   5 downloads

#12 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 06 May 2015 - 02:25 PM

Good job for a first time!  That microphone should be an easy fix, especially if you intend to paint it. 

#13 Sixthwizard

Sixthwizard

6thWizard

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1977 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 03:08 PM

I see an announcer army in the crystal ball.....haha....

Great stuff, Burty.  

#14 mokej1973

mokej1973

???

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 06 May 2015 - 04:21 PM

Right on! Try and fill the mold half way and tilt the mold face down as far as possible without spilling the resin and give it several good taps then finish filling up the mold. Do you know what the pot time is with the resin you are using?

#15 optimusdrizzt

optimusdrizzt

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Playing addicting video games, anime, MUSCLE, megaman, snarf from Thundercats, guts,and Battle Beasts. Really any smaller figure from the 80s/90s.

Posted 06 May 2015 - 05:05 PM

I know in my field we use vibrating machines to get bubbles out and help "flow" the material into the molds. The machines are a couple hundred but it is easy enough to use a back massager that you get from a local drug store. That will help the air get free. Best not to place it directly on the mold (too much vibration can actually cause other issues) but put the machine that vibrates (I didn't want to use the word vibrator) on the table of the mold as you pour the resin and continue it for a little after you are done.

I use mostly stone materials like that but the concept and principals are the same. I can't see it not being relevant for resin.

Always Looking for Battle Beasts PM if you got extras!!!!

#16 bigburty

bigburty

Cushty Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2409 posts
    Armorvors
    Crayboths
    MUSCLE
    SLUG Zombies
    OMFG

Posted 06 May 2015 - 11:37 PM

Right on! Try and fill the mold half way and tilt the mold face down as far as possible without spilling the resin and give it several good taps then finish filling up the mold. Do you know what the pot time is with the resin you are using?

Yep I'm going to try this :thumbsup: If by pot time you mean how long from mixing to setting then it's around 2 and a half minutes.

#17 Jesse

Jesse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1051 posts

Posted 07 May 2015 - 12:39 AM

Well theres the first pull haha.. It looks it worrk out very well. No extra straps, warps, or even many air bubbles

Nice one! :D

#18 optimusdrizzt

optimusdrizzt

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Playing addicting video games, anime, MUSCLE, megaman, snarf from Thundercats, guts,and Battle Beasts. Really any smaller figure from the 80s/90s.

Posted 07 May 2015 - 07:07 AM

Also I know in my field we use debubblizer for molds before pours/casts. It basically will lower the contact angle of your mold and make it more wetible ie it makes things flow better on it and avoids air bubbles from being trapped against the surface (it lowers the surface tension of the resin against your mold).

The glasses on your guy would be bubble free.

Not sure the best agent for that but I use allot of Polyvinyl silicone molds and the debubblizer/surfactant spray is very cheap and does wonders on some of our precision casts and stone pours.

Edited by optimusdrizzt, 07 May 2015 - 07:08 AM.

Always Looking for Battle Beasts PM if you got extras!!!!

#19 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 07 May 2015 - 07:26 PM

I'll bite.

What is your field ODZ?

#20 bigburty

bigburty

Cushty Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2409 posts
    Armorvors
    Crayboths
    MUSCLE
    SLUG Zombies
    OMFG

Posted 08 May 2015 - 07:34 AM

Another test, this time with some blue pigment mixed in:

Attached File  image.jpg   103.65K   6 downloads

#21 Sixthwizard

Sixthwizard

6thWizard

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1977 posts

Posted 08 May 2015 - 07:41 AM

Damn Mic!

#22 bigburty

bigburty

Cushty Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2409 posts
    Armorvors
    Crayboths
    MUSCLE
    SLUG Zombies
    OMFG

Posted 16 May 2015 - 03:03 AM

Still experimenting, this time with my blue BEB figure. Large air bubble on the bum that should be easily fixed - rest is great for a test pull:

Attached File  image.jpg   94.75K   3 downloads

#23 Sixthwizard

Sixthwizard

6thWizard

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1977 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 05:33 AM

Hole in the bum, eh? Haha

#24 Jesse

Jesse

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1051 posts

Posted 16 May 2015 - 05:39 AM

Hole in the bum, eh? Haha

You got some kind of butt sense or what? Any from of word ass is mentioned and here he is haha...

Nice pull burty! :)

#25 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 16 May 2015 - 02:03 PM

I'm never really sure what I am looking at.  Did you put a Stormtrooper head on a MUSCLE?  Is that from a 2-piece mold?

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com