• Please log in to reply
156 replies to this topic

#51 fkro6784

fkro6784

Little Weirdos

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2050 posts
  • Interests:MIMP, Neclos Fortress, GPK, '80s fantasy toys, all kinds of monster-themed little rubber guys.

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:15 AM

Reading all of this as someone who has never dealt with either person I can see valid points from all angles, but I must say I would get pretty annoyed if someone continuously bid big bucks on stuff they already had (especially if they then tried to unload it right away). They have every right to do so, but that does not change the fact that it's obnoxious, and if they make the decision to approach the hobby in this way they should fully expect they are going to piss people off.

I would hope everyone involved in this hobby would always keep in mind that at the end of the day, these are just toys. And it is supposed to be fun. When it stops being fun, there's no point. There are MUCH more important things in life.

14460229430_bb17eb3c18_n.jpg

#52 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog

Duck President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4202 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 07:31 AM

I don't understand why people would bid big money on things they already have.

I mean, I can understand if you see something cheap or mislisted, then it's great to get it for trade fodder, but splashing over the odds on a figure you already own seems designed to do nothing except annoy other collectors and push prices up for everyone.

I would certainly be interested in hearing an explanation for this kind of behaviour anyway.
<span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#8b0000;">Stuff I'm selling: <strong><a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=220814">Madballs Water Squirters</a> *</strong></span> <strong><a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=154077">Gormiti</a> * <a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=148080">Miscellaneous (MIMP, FOA etc)</a></strong></span><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#808000;">Stuff I really need:</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=235893"><strong>HERE</strong></a></span><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#008000;">Stuff I collect:</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...showtopic=44163"><strong>Gormiti</strong></a></span><br><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#4b0082;">Get your own easy-to-use</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...ndpost&p=264795"><strong>M.U.S.C.L.E.</strong></a> <span style="color:#4b0082;">or</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...08"><strong>MIMP Series 1/2</strong></a> <span style="color:#4b0082;">checklists!</span></span>

#53 dazz82

dazz82

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:15 AM

Blimey!! well i know i upset a few people when i first started out collecting and not knowing what i was doing, but i more than made that up to each of you. I thought things were okay now? seeing as we have all traded since.

I have only bought a second rare figure if i needed a non stained one, the werewolf i was trying to work out a trade for with Darryl was my stained one, as you knew by the pictures i sent, I dont hoard, i have never tryed to rip anyone off and am always give freebies with trades, i just want to enjoy the collecting.

It did seem like he was offering this behemoth to everyone, i was maybe just the first person to say i will take it.

1313- What have i done to upset you, those sonrics i sent that had 1 with a bit of damage when you told me i said i would send another straight away and you said it was okay. We have had quite a few good trades, had no idea you felt like that.

Well i guess people make there minds up, this kind of stuff while might be a nice bit of drama for others it has really got to me. If i am the reason you took the website down Darryl because of that behemoth then i really am sorry to you, and everyone else, can you not just block me from it, and let it stay up for everyone else?

#54 redcap

redcap

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:55 PM

I don't understand why people would bid big money on things they already have.

I mean, I can understand if you see something cheap or mislisted, then it's great to get it for trade fodder, but splashing over the odds on a figure you already own seems designed to do nothing except annoy other collectors and push prices up for everyone.

I would certainly be interested in hearing an explanation for this kind of behaviour anyway.

I think his behavior is for some of these reasons:

1. He has the figure "rare" but is damaged and he wish one in the best condition possible (they are perfectionists).

2. He has the figure "rare", but he want the figure for trade. (We all know that there are collectors who do not sell, trade only).

3. He has the figure "rare" but too collects letter "a, b, c, d, etc." (I think because I seen on ebay questions about the letter of the figure)

4. He has the figure "rare" but want a spare in case of loss (I've thought a lot when I have two "rare" figures, save one in case lose my collection, still I do not)

5. He has the figure "rare" but wants to raise its price. (Very ridiculous this way of thinking and I've seen, especially in Mexico, he pay 50 dollars for a lot of figures and then he sell the same figures in $ 80 ... WTF ¿??? There are people who probably lives of the resale, so far I can not criticize someone who is dedicated to resell figures to feed his family, but I think there are better ways to achieve a better income, maybe I'm wrong).

6. He has the figure "rare" and he wants it to be very rare (buy and collect all the figures "rare" for feel they have something very special, I think people who have 4 or 5 figures "rare" and not released, because it would lose its status of "rare")

7. He has the figure "rare" but has mental problems, obsessive-compulsive disorder for example.

And finally:
8. He has old problem with a participant of the auction in particular, and he is dedicated to destroying all auctions in which he participates. "Just want to bother". (I think that very few cases)

Someone comes up with more reasons for this behavior?
An apology for my English is not very good, I hope is understandable.
I helped with the google translator.

Spanish version/ Versión en español:

Yo pienso que su comportamiento se debe a estas probables razones:

1. Él tienen la figura "rara", pero esta dañada y desean una en la mejor condición posible (son perfeccionistas).
2. Él tienen la figura "rara", pero quieren la figura para el comercio. (todos sabemos que existen coleccionistas que no venden, solo cambian, y alguien puede comprar una figura que no necesita para cambiarla al que si la necesita, es muy complejo, pero el que tiene dinero de sobra podría hacerlo).
3. Él tienen la figura "rara", pero la colecciona también por letra "a, b, c, d, etc" (Esto lo supongo porque he visto preguntas en ebay sobre la letra de la figura)
4. Él tienen la figura "rara", pero quiere un repuesto en caso de perdida (yo lo he pensado mucho cuando tengo dos figuras raras, guardar una en caso de que yo pierda mi colección, dada la necesidad por estas figuras por parte de otros coleccionistas solo lo hago con figuras comunes o dañadas)
5. Él tienen la figura "rara" pero quiere elevar su precio. (muy ridicula esta forma de pensar y lo he visto mucho, especialmente en México, pagan 50 dolares por un lote de figuras y posteriormente venden las mismas figuras en 80 dolares...WTF¿??? hay gente que probablemente vive de esto, así que no puedo criticar mucho a alguien que se dedica a revender figuras para alimentar a su familia, aunque me parece que hay mejores formas para lograr un mejor ingreso, en fin)
6. Él tienen la figura "rara", y él desea que sea muy rara (compran y acumulan todas las figuras "raras" que encuentran para sentir que tienen algo muy especial, no las liberan porque perdería su status de "rara")
7. Él tienen la figura "rara", pero tiene problemas mentales, un transtorno compulsivo-obsesivo por ejemplo.

Y finalmente:
8. Tiene viejas rencillas con algún participante de la subasta en particular y se dedica a destrozar todas las subastas en que él participe. Simplemente quiere fastidiar a otro. (Personalmente creo que son muy pocos estos casos)

Alguien se le ocurre más motivos para este comportamiento?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

After returning to read the whole subject, my comment above is out of place.

I hope that the site it be able to go online. And do not think the site is to blame for higher prices of the figures, this is because only to sellers and us collectors who are willing to pay.

Losing by only two people seems excessive to me, the site is a great resource for everyone.

Edited by redcap, 28 March 2012 - 02:51 PM.

#55 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10723 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:25 PM

It's a simple gimmick. You want to stop people from sharking auctions for pieces that they already have, for the sake of trading them down to others?

Stop trading with them.

Once they realize that it isn't a lucrative practice, they'll stop.

Once again, to echo Plasticsoul, and to further belabor a point: WE ARE TALKING ABOUT MO***R F***ING TOYS.

Ugh. This is what kept me from pursuing MIMP collecting in the past.
(Luckily, some of the MUSCLE community that ALSO collects MIMP, have been quietly, and judiciously working with me towards my collection, and have done so completely above board, with the ethics and class expected on LRG.)

After reading the whole thing, and seeing both sides, I'm going to go on a limb and say that the whole damned ordeal is really petty.

My two cents.

-Fe

#56 Metalmonkey

Metalmonkey

Ironhaus apprentice

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 975 posts
  • Interests:Collecting/making/talking about LRGs.

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:32 PM

For me it's a bit of a no brainier, just block/avoid/ignore the person.
But it's good both of you got it out and had your say on what your beef is, hopefully you can find a way to resolve the issues you've had in the past, if not you could always agree to disagree?

Now all has been said and done, can the best MIMP resource website in the whole world PLEASE come back again??
I miss it.

Edited by Metalmonkey, 28 March 2012 - 06:33 PM.

bannerfans20blog2015.jpgbanner2015_1.jpg

#57 1313

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 620 posts
  • Interests:Series 1 MIMP, Trash Bag Bunch, Vintage StarWars, Batman, Ghostbusters, Bootlegs, Obscure toys, Movie figures, Horror, 80's/90's toys, MMA, Rock/Metal, original film posters/promo's, Book Collecting, DVD/Blu collecting.

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:37 PM

Blimey!! well i know i upset a few people when i first started out collecting and not knowing what i was doing, but i more than made that up to each of you. I thought things were okay now? seeing as we have all traded since.

I have only bought a second rare figure if i needed a non stained one, the werewolf i was trying to work out a trade for with Darryl was my stained one, as you knew by the pictures i sent, I dont hoard, i have never tryed to rip anyone off and am always give freebies with trades, i just want to enjoy the collecting.

It did seem like he was offering this behemoth to everyone, i was maybe just the first person to say i will take it.

1313- What have i done to upset you, those sonrics i sent that had 1 with a bit of damage when you told me i said i would send another straight away and you said it was okay. We have had quite a few good trades, had no idea you felt like that.

Well i guess people make there minds up, this kind of stuff while might be a nice bit of drama for others it has really got to me. If i am the reason you took the website down Darryl because of that behemoth then i really am sorry to you, and everyone else, can you not just block me from it, and let it stay up for everyone else?

We've done some good trades but it is tricky dealing with you & you should know not to send me a chopped up figure that's barely hanging together by a thread. We went over that, it's old news.
I wasn't having a go at you, i'm fairly laid back about what's going on, i'm just speaking my mind, i'm not angry about anything.

Lol at all the guys saying 'it's only toys'! Yeah it might be absurd but we all care about what we collect & feel strongly about how things go down. If we didn't care we wouldn't bother collecting toys at our age to the degree we do.

#58 PimpNugget

PimpNugget

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1021 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:19 PM

I don't see why you would be taking that shit personally. Every single time a monster gets sold, many people bid, one guy wins, and a bunch get pissed. Its called Ebay.

These figures will only rise in popularity as our generation ages, don't know why you would hop ship now.

Spoken like a true reseller~! :teehee:

Dude, you make me laugh.......at you.

#59 DarrylWestley

DarrylWestley

www.monstercollecting.com

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:03 AM

Look at that thread that I highlighted earlier:
http://www.littlerub...showtopic=70496

For someone who says he doesn't horde I think most collectors would
agree that is a substantial bounty of figures to have in duplicate?
How many of you have actually seen Darren's collection in photographs?

While Darren I appreciate your obvious selfless suggestion to put the
website back up and deny you access. As some are already aware of you
having multiple Ebay accounts, blocking the numerous ip addresses you
own is a chore I don't wish to undergo.

ironmask- Well I obviously made the decision and stopped trading with him
but it really isn't that simple is it?! Unfortunately the landscape of
collecting MIMP has changed due in part to some of the actions I have
presented. Whether some of you agree, disagree, find it petty is really
irreverent. To quote fkro6784 with the elegantly put:

"
I would hope everyone involved in this hobby would always keep in mind that
at the end of the day, these are just toys. And it is supposed to be fun.
When it stops being fun, there's no point. There are MUCH more important
things in life.
"

On that note I feel I have gone full circle. Thanks again for the rally of
opinions, I think it was important that these topics were raised. At least
the new collectors got a taste for what is potentially in store. Fortunately
I won't be apart of it! Aside from the occasional private trade I think I will
steer well clear of Ebay. Sorry I won't be returning the website but for those
who value my opinion I am only a pm away.

#60 TheWatcher

TheWatcher

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:46 AM

As I said before, Thanx for the site while it lasted!

Edit: One last thing, get off the guy for not putting the site back up. It's his site! He can do pretty much anything he wants with it. If he wanted to invert the pictures and spin them upside down, it's his choice. He put alot of work on that site, so it's his perogative to keep it up or take it down. It's not like it's information he is only privy too. Anyone can redo what he did. It's just most people want the convenience without having to do the actual foot work. If people want to talk about how it's all fair game on ebay, then it's pretty much fair game for him to use HIS resource how he chooses.

Having a community is exactly what Ironmask talked about. Living up to the standards and expectations of that community. (like LRG, everyone working together in some capacity) You can't have a community if it's everyone for himself. The MIMP community has to decide that. I think Darryl sees our community has some serious problems and he wants no part of it. I understand his point very clearly. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck, it's a duck. We ain't no duck.

Edited by TheWatcher, 29 March 2012 - 09:37 AM.

#61 GoreVidalMeaty

GoreVidalMeaty

Trojan Trebuchet

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 337 posts
  • Interests:Toyfinity, Wrangler jeans, MIMP ALL series,
    M.U.S.C.L.E. Things and the mighty ARCO Red Lizardman.

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:46 AM

it was a great site. I am sorry to see it go. I for one am not a trader. I prefer to buy outright. Thank God for Sherrie and her Kinnikumart site. I ask her for things, she sends me an invoice, I use PayPal, and a few days later I get new little rubber guys. Shame all transactions cannot go so easily.

#62 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:21 AM

@Darryl: It IS that simple, actually. If toy collecting is making you miserable, then you're doing it wrong.

I want a Blemmyea. I'm not going to pay $100 for one mono-mini. Therefore, I come to grips with the fact that I am not going to own one... I'm not willing to do what it takes. I'm satisfied with what I have.

Or maybe, I should put an embargo on what I have to offer to LRG, until the prices come down?
Nah. All you're doing, is punishing the new collectors that actually care about what information you have to offer... Not the people/person you feel have transgressed upon you.

It's really simple.

@All:

We deal in toys. Toys are fun. If toys stop being fun, stop dealing in toys.

From where I sit, it's very simple.

-Fe

Edited by ironmask, 29 March 2012 - 10:22 AM.

#63 DarrylWestley

DarrylWestley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:47 AM

What you fail to recognize is I am making it pretty clear I am now
happy to accept what I have by departing from this hobby! I think you
are twisting my words to communicate something else entirely. I have
never been in a mad rush for figures...

You do know it was the 'other' guy that dropped £70 on a figure he
already owned because it was stained right? Why was it I eventually
cut my ties from him? Because damn I knew another would show up
at some point and I didn't need him trying to leverage me into a deal
on his terms.

This is my final decision, I am not doing it out of punishment I am
doing it because I don't want any further business to do with the
hobby at large. While I understand it is damaging to newer collectors
is that really my problem?

It very simple, no it isn't.

#64 PimpNugget

PimpNugget

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1021 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 10:56 AM

I hear ya.

I'm taking my ball and going home too~!!

Dude, you make me laugh.......at you.

#65 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts
  • Interests:Collecting MIMP and playing Fantasy Baseball.

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:18 AM

Sucks to see this site go. It was really helpful and let me daydream of having a similar collection of Behemoths as Darryl.
My MIMP Resource site: http://mimpcollective.weebly.com

Behemoth's Video Game and MIMP YouTube Page: https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

#66 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 11:34 AM

What you fail to recognize is I am making it pretty clear I am now
happy to accept what I have by departing from this hobby! I think you
are twisting my words to communicate something else entirely. I have
never been in a mad rush for figures...

You do know it was the 'other' guy that dropped £70 on a figure he
already owned because it was stained right? Why was it I eventually
cut my ties from him? Because damn I knew another would show up
at some point and I didn't need him trying to leverage me into a deal
on his terms.

This is my final decision, I am not doing it out of punishment I am
doing it because I don't want any further business to do with the
hobby at large. While I understand it is damaging to newer collectors
is that really my problem?

It very simple, no it isn't.

You are correct. It IS NOT your problem, if they don't have your site as a resource.
And it sucks, that you allowed one dude to ruin your love for the hobby.

I can only imagine what this conversation would look like, if JKaris had allowed Arforbes' behavior to influence his love for collecting.

With that, good day and good luck on your future endeavors.

-Fe

#67 DarrylWestley

DarrylWestley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:16 PM

I am not aware of the context of your reference but I guess it
was a similar circumstance.

Thank you, you too!
All the best getting a Blemmyea for a low price/trade.

#68 PlasticSoul

PlasticSoul

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2786 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:42 PM

I hear ya.

I'm taking my ball and going home too~!!

This is pretty much spot on.

Thread starter said this on page one...

"At the time of removing the website I really felt that it
was the cause of the 'greed' and 'deceit' I had witnessed.
It saddens me but I completely understand the comment about
'throwing in the towel'. I realize that the website had
become bigger than one man (myself) and if anything belongs
to all of us. I would consider someone taking over the
updating of the website but have yet to have anyone come
forward with this request..."

So a couple days ago it was bigger then him and belongs to all of us now it's all his again and his decision to erase it because he didn't want to pay as much as some other guy(who is obviously a shady unkind individual)for toys is final.

Pretty damn lame but like iron and watcher said it is his site and his choice.

He could have done without the lies about it being everyones though.

Edited by PlasticSoul, 29 March 2012 - 12:44 PM.

#69 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:49 PM

I am not aware of the context of your reference but I guess it
was a similar circumstance.

Thank you, you too!
All the best getting a Blemmyea for a low price/trade.

Arforbes is a banned former-member of LRG, that ritualistically engaged in flagrant counts of all of the behaviors that you suggest Darren has engaged in. Thre is a pretty detailed documentation about his 'fall from grace'... If you put his name in the searchbar, you should be able to find it rather easily.

My reference was basically intimating that you shouldn't let somebody bring you down, and make you feel that way about your hobby. So what, he paid more for a toy you wanted, and for argument's sake, let's say he did it just so you couldn't have it. So what? It's a toy.

Does not having that one figure make you care less about the other ones that you spent years collecting?

If it does, then you are probably doing the right thing. It probably is time to pull up stakes, and move along.

So, while I do think it's petty (and that is directed at anybody from him to you to Arforbes, brojo, or anybody else that fits the bill), I sincerely wish you the best, and hope that the next hobby doesn't leave you feeling this negatively about it.

-Fe

#70 DarrylWestley

DarrylWestley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:51 PM

Point out to me where one individual in this thread said they would
take this website off my hands?

NO ONE CAME FORWARD

Also I need to add my words were copy and pasted directly from the
thread that got Junked days ago. That statement was older than two
days old if we want to be precise.

Edited by DarrylWestley, 29 March 2012 - 12:58 PM.

#71 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:56 PM

NO ONE CAME FORWARD

Fair.

I guess, I'm trying to Logic you out of quitting a hobby that you've obviously put years into.
As for somebody taking over your site... Honestly, I have never been to it. I don't have a horse in that race.
If somebody takes your site over or not, it's still a bummer that you're quitting, and quitting over this.
But, it's a shame, either way.

#72 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts
  • Interests:Collecting MIMP and playing Fantasy Baseball.

Posted 29 March 2012 - 12:56 PM

NO ONE CAME FORWARD

I would love to run a website like this, but don't have the computer expertise yet to do so. Maybe after graduate school.
My MIMP Resource site: http://mimpcollective.weebly.com

Behemoth's Video Game and MIMP YouTube Page: https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

#73 bigazzhead

bigazzhead

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1604 posts
  • Interests:Mini Figure interests:
    Monster in my Pocket
    Megaman/Rockman
    Dragon Ball
    Dragon Quest
    Old Nintendo
    Gegege no Kitaro
    general monster keshi
    Ghostbusters
    Zombie related stuff
    and anything cool. (yeah I know pretty vague)

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:10 PM

Wow, the internet.

Such entitlement. Darryl doesn't owe any of us his website. Yeah it sucks that it's gone, and we may not all agree with why he took it down, but at the end of the day it was his site and he could with it whatever he pleased.

Best of luck to you, Darryl and lets hope one day little rubber monsters can bring you joy once again.

#74 dielaughing

dielaughing

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • Interests:Tennis, Gym, Reading, Horror films, Heavy Metal music, collecting mimps and boglins

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:14 PM

Hm well I enquired as to the cost of the domain and hosting, as nothing was said I didn't comment further as I don't know if darryl was meaning someone to just update it, or for someone to take the whole thing, domain costs and such as well.
My needs HERE

My dupes HERE

Feedback

#75 DarrylWestley

DarrylWestley

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 542 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 01:19 PM

Sorry for not answering your question Howard.

Domain/hosting costs vary. Currently I got a package that cost me £30 for 1 year.
That is all included. Ironically I renewed the website in February so it still
has pretty much a year remaining. Files can be accessed via FTP.

All pages are written in HTML (older format) tables. Pretty easy to update with
basic HTML. I taught myself this, so guess anyone can do the same?!

Photographs I edited using Photoshop (perhaps the more labour intensive side
of maintaining the website), so that all the photographs have some continuity.

Edited by DarrylWestley, 29 March 2012 - 01:19 PM.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com