11 replies to this topic

#1 TheRiddler

TheRiddler

????????????

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2357 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 12:18 PM

I have 2 tvs and one has to go...I plan on hooking up an NES, Sega, PS1 and an N64 up to it...for the tech savvy guys out there...which one would you keep? 

1. Sony Trinitron model: kv-35s42 http://www.cnet.com/...kv-35s42/specs/

2. Sony FD Triniton WEGA kn27fs320  http://www.crutchfie...KV-27FS320.html

#2 jason76basin

jason76basin

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 04:51 PM

number 2 is the one most wanted by retro gamers, so that is the one i would keep. my friend threw his away when he got a flatscreen and i think i coulda stabbed him as it still worked and i didn't know he was gonna trash it. you still have old systems that you play so it's worth you keeping this size tv?

#3 TheRiddler

TheRiddler

????????????

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2357 posts

Posted 06 April 2016 - 05:14 PM

number 2 is the one most wanted by retro gamers, so that is the one i would keep. my friend threw his away when he got a flatscreen and i think i coulda stabbed him as it still worked and i didn't know he was gonna trash it. you still have old systems that you play so it's worth you keeping this size tv?

Cool! Yea I have a bunch of old systems that i play on a weekly basis....I usually play in my living room on a bigger newer tv, but am making room in my toy room for all of my retro systems...right now those 2 tvs (huge tvs, the one is 200 lbs!!) are taking up too much room and one must go!!

#4 mikefromottawa

mikefromottawa

Toy Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Collectibles, Audio/Video, Finance, Whiskey, Gardening, Gaming, Following my wife while she shops

Posted 25 April 2016 - 07:20 PM

I sold high end audio video for about a decade and have been an avid gamer since the Sega Master System days.  Right now I have a wide screen Toshiba  30'' tube with HDMI and component input which I use with my modified original x-box full of SNES games and my Wii. the component cable makes a HUGE difference.

Here are some suggestions, the PS1 had optional S-Video cables which are worth investing in, as you will see an immediate improvement in sharpness. the other consoles use composite cable or coax which might require you getting a switch box to make things easier for going between consoles.  Play with the color and contrast setting to get things just right for your room but remember that the setting might need to be altered depending on the source you feed to the TV.

Try and spend about $50 on a serge protector (no more) because these sets never liked peaks in voltage and your console are probably worth a bunch as well. 

Cheers

My Collection:

https://www.flickr.c...157669505016491

#5 TheRiddler

TheRiddler

????????????

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2357 posts

Posted 25 April 2016 - 08:38 PM

I sold high end audio video for about a decade and have been an avid gamer since the Sega Master System days.  Right now I have a wide screen Toshiba  30'' tube with HDMI and component input which I use with my modified original x-box full of SNES games and my Wii. the component cable makes a HUGE difference.

Here are some suggestions, the PS1 had optional S-Video cables which are worth investing in, as you will see an immediate improvement in sharpness. the other consoles use composite cable or coax which might require you getting a switch box to make things easier for going between consoles.  Play with the color and contrast setting to get things just right for your room but remember that the setting might need to be altered depending on the source you feed to the TV.

Try and spend about $50 on a serge protector (no more) because these sets never liked peaks in voltage and your console are probably worth a bunch as well. 

Cheers

Thanks! I got a box for switching systems and I have a surge protector. I do however need an s video cable. Thanks for that! I never realized ps1 had s video lol

#6 Bones

Bones

Deep Throat

• Grounded
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 26 April 2016 - 04:10 AM

You had to have an S cable for Resident Evil

#7 mikefromottawa

mikefromottawa

Toy Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts
  • Interests:Collectibles, Audio/Video, Finance, Whiskey, Gardening, Gaming, Following my wife while she shops

Posted 26 April 2016 - 06:32 AM

Thanks! I got a box for switching systems and I have a surge protector. I do however need an s video cable. Thanks for that! I never realized ps1 had s video lol

Yes, it did. Here is something important for everyone to keep in mind with cables.  The difference in going from composite to s-video is much more visible than the difference from going from regular s-video to expensive s-video.  The same holds true for component and HDMI.  Don't listen to the salesman and go overboard with high end cables, unless you have a high end tv like the last generation Z series Panasonic plasma or a Sim-2 projector that can run $80,000.  Cheers

http://www.sim2.com/

My Collection:

#8 retroworldkorea

retroworldkorea

Retro World Korea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Interests:vintage trash

Posted 27 April 2016 - 04:06 PM

I'm a little late to this thread, but have you considered investing in a broadcast monitor? One of those with some RGB cables is a game changer when it comes to quality. Tons of easy to follow guides online on which monitors to snag, where to get affordable cables, etc. 

Although if you already have those TVs, then I guess there is no sense in investing in a new one. 

#9 TheRiddler

TheRiddler

????????????

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2357 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 04:11 PM

I'm a little late to this thread, but have you considered investing in a broadcast monitor? One of those with some RGB cables is a game changer when it comes to quality. Tons of easy to follow guides online on which monitors to snag, where to get affordable cables, etc. 

Although if you already have those TVs, then I guess there is no sense in investing in a new one. 

I HAVE checked these out...they look really amazing, but seem to be very expensive! It might be a definite possibility in the future though!

#10 retroworldkorea

retroworldkorea

Retro World Korea

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • Interests:vintage trash

Posted 27 April 2016 - 04:36 PM

I HAVE checked these out...they look really amazing, but seem to be very expensive! It might be a definite possibility in the future though!

I was lucky enough to score one here from a broadcast studio that was updating their setup I guess. I think I spent about 40-50 bucks if we are converting to US dollars. I ended up springing for an upscaler though because the monitor was eating up too much space in my tiny computer room haha. 

#11 TheRiddler

TheRiddler

????????????

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2357 posts

Posted 27 April 2016 - 04:42 PM

I was lucky enough to score one here from a broadcast studio that was updating their setup I guess. I think I spent about 40-50 bucks if we are converting to US dollars. I ended up springing for an upscaler though because the monitor was eating up too much space in my tiny computer room haha. 

haha....that's not a bad price at all! I would of taken that deal!!

#12 mikefromottawa

mikefromottawa

Toy Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 06:38 PM

Those monitors are really good but for bigger tv's the two best tubes (actually the best picture ever) would be the Bang and Olufsen 30" widescreen set and the Loewe which was also a 30" . The B and O used to sell for $12,000 and Loewe was around $6000.  There was actually a retired gentleman giving one away last year, but I would have needed to drive to Toronto to pick it up. I can't believe we keep going backwards in tv quality. WTF !!!

My Collection:

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com