46 replies to this topic

#1 misterdroid

misterdroid

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:03 PM

After work tonight I ran by a local comic shop. They have D&D and such on Fridays so they are open late. On my way out I saw an unfamiliar package on the shelf. Handful of Heroes! I was quite surprised, as I have a preorder in for some and was told mid-August at the earliest. so, with preliminaries out of the way, here is my review.

Handful of Heroes
by Hasbro

First off, I have to admit I am biased towards the format. I assume if you are reading this, you too are a wee bit biased towards small flexible men.
The figures come packed on a blister card, 8 to a pack. 7 figures are visible, one is hidden. Like the marvel universe 3.75 line, the package tends to get beat up fairly easily. Both packs I bought had significant wear and tear, yet had been freshly pulled from a case. I don't really care about that sort of thing as I am a dedicated package opener, but if you like to keep stuff moc, you may have to be careful. Each pack comes with a 10"x14" checklist / poster.

Posted Image
Dr. Doom, Gladiator Hulk, War Machine

The Figures themselves are quite beautiful. They average about 1.5"/1.75" and are very well sculpted. They are nicely detailed, and more importantly, rather dynamic. The larger figures seem the most satisfying to me in terms of feel/heft. The more "human" shaped figures feel a bit slight. They look proportionate, but for those of us used to the thick anatomy of the average LRG they feel smaller than they are.

Posted Image
Cyclops, Hulkbuster Iron Man, Iron man

Posted Image
Close up, Hulkbuster

In both sets I bought tonight, the hidden figure was Hulkbuster Iron Man in a clear blood red color. I don't yet know if this was random chance, or if he is always there. Chance seems more likely, as having a flock of the same figure as a bonus would pretty much suck, but you never really know with the big toy companies. The figures are made of a fairly stiff pvc. Pretty much the same stuff most action figures are made of these days. I would have liked them to be a bit more rubbery, but it would likely result in warped, unstable figures considering the thin legs some of these guys have.

Posted Image
Absorbing man, Colossus

Although the package quite loudly touts "collect all 120 figures!", there are actually only 40 characters in the set. Each figure comes in 3 colors. However there are more than three colors, so you apparently can't put together complete matching color sets. The basic colors are: yellow, blue, green, red and black. Each color group consists of solid, clear and clear with glitter. The only exception seems to be the deep blood red color. It appears to only come in clear.

Posted Image
Dr. Doom, Spider Man, Thing

The solid colors are by far my favorite. They are very matte, and showcase the figure's details quite well. The clear colors ,as is so often the case, obscure the fine sculpting. I do however like the Kinkeshi connection with the glitter plastic.

Posted Image
Cyclops, Collossus

For the most part I like the figures selected for the first wave. It's a nice cross section of the Marvel universe with definite emphasis on current hot properties. the bulk of the 40 figures consist of Hulk (10 figs), Iron Man (6), Spider man (6), and x-men (12) related characters. The final 6 figures consist of characters who are for the most part Avengers related.

Posted Image
Nightcrawler

Although my 2 pack sample is far to small to draw any sweeping conclusions from, I only got 2 true doubles. One being the earlier mentioned Hulkbuster Iron Man, and a clear blue Absorbing Man. Those odds seem pretty good to me. I have seen many far less "random" distros.

Posted Image
Thing and friends

Overall I'd have to say these are great figures. There are a little pricey at about $7 dollars and change per pack, but you can order them online from the place I just bought mine for $6.75 (scifigenre.com). I haven't really checked other retailers as I had a case preordered somewhere else, and was pretty surprised to find these guys tonight. They are a great fit for any LRG collection.

Posted Image
Cyclops and friends

#2 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

just getting into knife making.

blade of the immortal is my master.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 10 July 2009 - 11:37 PM

nice review. when you mention that the plastic used is pretty stiff, do you mean even more so than muscles or about the same?

kind of a let down that they're claiming 120 sculpts, but there's only 40 actual characters. also, sounds like a lot of initial criticism regarding the line being hulk heavy has been confirmed. with the way marvel has been doing things lately, i'm surprised that there's not more spiderman and less hulk. does the checklist state whether or not apocalypse and/or juggernaut are in the line?

when you go to the store for more, get a look at the packs and see if they seem to be the same "random" characters like with the muscle 4-packs. i'm wondering, if happen to buy a case, do you get 12 different truly random packs or if they're very similar if not identical.

if i encounter the demons in hell, i will kill them all..

vi veri veniversum vivus vici.

#3 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 11 July 2009 - 06:53 AM

Good point Dank, I'm sure they may be similar to how muscle cases were packed, so I can see there being similar packs.....but I doubt it will be so close, as I don't think these come 144 packs to a case. :D Or even 72. It's only like 10 packs to a case, so the chances of getting more of the same or similarly packed ...err.. packs is a little low.

These look great up close though. So there are only 40 different figures, and 3 colors per each? So that means the 120 figures are just 40 figures in different colors? That's lame. :p I was under the impression that there would be more waves. I'm very iffy about this line now. I don't want another Fistful of Power fiasco on my hands.

Posted Image

#4 misterdroid

misterdroid

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 07:42 AM

nice review. when you mention that the plastic used is pretty stiff, do you mean even more so than muscles or about the same?

kind of a let down that they're claiming 120 sculpts, but there's only 40 actual characters. also, sounds like a lot of initial criticism regarding the line being hulk heavy has been confirmed. with the way marvel has been doing things lately, i'm surprised that there's not more spiderman and less hulk. does the checklist state whether or not apocalypse and/or juggernaut are in the line?

when you go to the store for more, get a look at the packs and see if they seem to be the same "random" characters like with the muscle 4-packs. i'm wondering, if happen to buy a case, do you get 12 different truly random packs or if they're very similar if not identical.

The figures a little bit stiffer than MUSCLE plastic. It isn't super apparent until you try to flex a bulky figure. I really think it is to compensate for the spindly legs some figures feature. The first wave is surprisingly Hulk-heavy. Although out of the 12 or so Hulk-related guys, keep in mind several are villains. That goes for all the sub-groupings. I agree that the Hulkcentric assortment is sort of odd.
There is a Juggernaut on the poster.

#5 Articulationnut

Articulationnut

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1732 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 09:00 AM

Thanks for the review !

So far these are what i expected which is a positive and a negative. The smaller figures are indeed to small for my taste (but they look good) or for my use but the bigger figures might provide a bounty of goodness :p
Id like to see the Hulk Buster armor up close from every angle and possibly some of the iron man armor. These are a step up from Hero Clix though in the sense that these figures have a bit more weight to them (based upon your review).

So far Hulk Buster Iron Man and Gladiator Hulk are the only big (1.75'') figures ?

Edited by Articulationnut, 11 July 2009 - 09:03 AM.

Divide & conquer works because of attachments people make to push-button issues, individual "leaders," parties, clans, tribes, policies, or agendas, leaving them open to manipulation.

#6 Teacher of Madness

Teacher of Madness

Boardest Gamer in the Land!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 409 posts
  • Interests:Toys and board games aplenty

Posted 11 July 2009 - 06:32 PM

I'm a little confused about what you mean by there being 10 Hulk. Is that 10 figures of the Hulk in various outfits/poses, or 10 Hulk related characters? I hate duplicates of characters, so it'll make a big difference to my decision to buy if there's only say 25 characters in 40 sculpts.
"There's a fine line between sayings that make sense."

#7 misterdroid

misterdroid

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 07:36 PM

I'm a little confused about what you mean by there being 10 Hulk. Is that 10 figures of the Hulk in various outfits/poses, or 10 Hulk related characters? I hate duplicates of characters, so it'll make a big difference to my decision to buy if there's only say 25 characters in 40 sculpts.

The 40 characters are apparently organized into loose subsets. They are pictured grouped together on the poster (will get a pic up soon). The hulk figures consist of Hulk and Hulk related characters.
They are:
Classic Hulk
Abomination
World War Hulk
Gladiator Hulk
Red Hulk
Rhino
Absorbing Man
Iron clad
Armageddon
X-ray
While some of the above villains are not exclusively Hulk related, their first appearances and origins begin in Hulk comics. Also the Hulkbuster Iron Man is technically Hulk related.

Just to make things easier, here is the entire character list;
Cyclops
Nick Fury
Beast
Hawkeye
Doc Ock
Green Goblin
Dr. Doom
Mandarin
Black Panther
War machine
Venom
Nightcrawler
Iron Man mk 1
Wolverine
Thing
Sabertooth
Classic Hulk
Abomination
world war hulk
gladiator hulk
Magneto
Colossus
Dead pool
Angel
Iron Man
Spider Man (crawling)
Classic Iron man
Spider man (standing)
Captain America
Spider Man (standing 2)
Astonishing Wolverine
Classic Wolverine
Rhino
Absorbing Man
Iron Clad
Armageddon
Red Hulk
Juggernaut
Hulkbuster Iron Man
X-Ray

#8 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 11 July 2009 - 07:52 PM

they've got mandarin but not apocalypse? what the eff!

#9 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 11 July 2009 - 09:21 PM

A lack of an Apocalypse sculpt implies to me that they are willing to take this line further if it is successful....And to be honest, that roster doesn't look half bad! My only problem is do we need 3 different poses of the same spiderman? different costumes sure. But when all is said and done, and you get all the color variants you will have 9 spidermans... The Hulks don't bother me so much. Is Gladiator Hulk Bruce Banner? Red Hulk is highly acceptable, and at least Gladiator Hulk has armor to differentiate him.

I think I am willing to go for this. I just got to find the best price tag and swing with it. The sculpting appears top notch, and the colors are awesome! I just hope they don't feel like plastic army men. The size could be bigger I think though...smaller than muscles. That's kind of a let down. Can anyone say Recall. :D

Posted Image

#10 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:45 PM

the size is a minor disappointment. but that just means they'll be taking up less space in our already bloated toy collections. :unknw:

i would like to see multiple waves of this line. i just wonder if collectors are going to go for them as much as the lrg crew is. seems to me that regular collectors favor the super detailed painted highly articulated around 6" figures. they may turn their nose up at these modest, yet, amazing looking sculpts. sure, the marvel universe line has seen a lot of success, but look at the other two similar lines, wolverine origins and wolverine and the xmen. i don't think stores can give these things away. i think unless handful gets a huge amount of success we'll never see a second wave.

the multipose spiderman/men does add a lot of playability to one of the most popular characters. kids will go nuts for them all i'm sure. aside from cyclops, mandarin and absorbing man the line up looks fantastic (i've always hated cyclops and always will. no one can make me like him. he's a douche.).

#11 misterdroid

misterdroid

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 11 July 2009 - 10:57 PM

A lack of an Apocalypse sculpt implies to me that they are willing to take this line further if it is successful....And to be honest, that roster doesn't look half bad! My only problem is do we need 3 different poses of the same spiderman? different costumes sure. But when all is said and done, and you get all the color variants you will have 9 spidermans... The Hulks don't bother me so much. Is Gladiator Hulk Bruce Banner? Red Hulk is highly acceptable, and at least Gladiator Hulk has armor to differentiate him.

I think I am willing to go for this. I just got to find the best price tag and swing with it. The sculpting appears top notch, and the colors are awesome! I just hope they don't feel like plastic army men. The size could be bigger I think though...smaller than muscles. That's kind of a let down. Can anyone say Recall. :unknw:

It looks like there will be more characters. On the flipside of the poster (I JUST noticed this) there is a lame game board. The one panel illustrating the game pictures several guys set up bowling pin style, and other guys being flicked (paper football style) at them. However, the marked spaces for figures on the gameboard feature symbols for characters not included in this first wave. Punisher, Daredevil, Thor (plus a couple I am not immediately familiar with- a swooshy E, and a nuclear symbol... have no idea if they relate to included figures)... so, looks like more are hopefully on the horizon.

As far as the plastic, for a possibly familiar reference, they seem to be made of exactly the same material as the Dino-magic figures I happen to have sitting next to my sofa. It's a somewhat rigid pvc, definitely not army man poly-plastic. Maybe even pretty close to the kind of pvc 25th GI Joes arms and lower legs are made of.

#12 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 11 July 2009 - 11:53 PM

i just realized that thor wasn't on the list of the first 40. wasn't there a picture of a thor-like figure in one of the "pre-release" photos? if i'm not mistaken, it could mean that possibly they've already decided which characters will be released and are just going to trickle them out slowly to torture us.

#13 Ghost Lion

Ghost Lion

The Ghost with the most!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2489 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 05:39 AM

Nice review! And only one Wolverine!? They MUST be planning more waves.

#14 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 09:59 AM

Nice review! And only one Wolverine!? They MUST be planning more waves.

Two Wolverines.

Posted Image

#15 Ghost Lion

Ghost Lion

The Ghost with the most!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2489 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 02:02 PM

Yeesh, actually 3. Wolverine, Astonishing, and Classic. I promise I'll learn to read one of these days.

#16 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

Aspiring Bigman/Handshake Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 12 July 2009 - 03:08 PM

i just realized that thor wasn't on the list of the first 40. wasn't there a picture of a thor-like figure in one of the "pre-release" photos? if i'm not mistaken, it could mean that possibly they've already decided which characters will be released and are just going to trickle them out slowly to torture us.

We were probably just seeing part of that figure of Doom holding Mjolnir.

I think these things look pretty sweet, at least in the pictures. Need to see them myself to decide if i'm gonna jump in or not, but i will at least buy a pack with that Dr. Doom in it when i see them.
Shove my words down your eye-holes!
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#17 deadfishlake

deadfishlake

Gimme everything you got!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 12 July 2009 - 03:44 PM

As long as they make a super-size Blob and Juggernaut I'll be happy :lol:

Seriously, though, good review. I've been trying to keep my eyes open for these, and I'll definitely be picking up a pack whenever I happen to chance across one.

#18 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2009 - 12:41 PM

Nice review! I thought there were only Hulks in the packs. :fop:

It was cool to see the figures. It's too bad Marvel's counting the (what was it?) 40 sculpts in different colors as ~140 sculpts. I actually have a great sense of relief that these aren't DC figures. If they were DC, then I'd be pretty hard-pressed into buying them. It seems like such a fun, modern LRG toy to collect. Luckily I can turn down Marvel.

#19 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 13 July 2009 - 01:54 PM

Nice review! I thought there were only Hulks in the packs. ;)

It was cool to see the figures. It's too bad Marvel's counting the (what was it?) 40 sculpts in different colors as ~140 sculpts. I actually have a great sense of relief that these aren't DC figures. If they were DC, then I'd be pretty hard-pressed into buying them. It seems like such a fun, modern LRG toy to collect. Luckily I can turn down Marvel.

3 colors for each 40 so 120.

Really? I love DC myself, but wouldn't an army of LRG DC heroes and villains be like having an army of M.U.S.C.L.E. #33's? :fop: I think Marvel's overall appeal is character appearances and differences. The DCUC figs just about all look the same to me except paint apps, and different heads and a cape here and there. ;) I just don't think DC figs would transfer well to unpainted miniatures. But I could be wrong, and I know I'd be excited about it myself if they made something....Who knows Maybe they will try another copycat attempt after a while if the Marvel ones do well.

Posted Image

#20 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 July 2009 - 05:20 AM

3 colors for each 40 so 120.

Really? I love DC myself, but wouldn't an army of LRG DC heroes and villains be like having an army of M.U.S.C.L.E. #33's? :banana: I think Marvel's overall appeal is character appearances and differences. The DCUC figs just about all look the same to me except paint apps, and different heads and a cape here and there. :banana: I just don't think DC figs would transfer well to unpainted miniatures. But I could be wrong, and I know I'd be excited about it myself if they made something....Who knows Maybe they will try another copycat attempt after a while if the Marvel ones do well.

Whatever it was. :banana:

Yeah, some of the DC stuff could look similar. That's where materials and sculpting would be crucial – hell, even the plastic color would matter. I think the sculptors would need to be freed up to really get creative. I though Heroclix did a nice job of incorporating some environmental elements. I spattering of that could really help differentiate figures.

But none of it matters as long as they had good Green Arrow figures and a Detective Chimp. :yahoo:

#21 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

Aspiring Bigman/Handshake Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 15 July 2009 - 08:40 AM

Hey they're using this thread for reference over at thefwoosh. :ulp:

http://www.thefwoosh...p...=96&t=60286
Shove my words down your eye-holes!
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#22 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 15 July 2009 - 05:40 PM

they just wish they were as cool as we are.

#23 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 15 July 2009 - 07:35 PM

Ha! To be honest, the topic belongs here! ;) They are Little Rubber Guys. :D

No sightings on the West Coast. Though. Not even my Comic Shop had any, and they even had some Wave 4 MU figs in stock.

Posted Image

#24 misterdroid

misterdroid

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:53 PM

Sorry for not following through with getting the poster up... been REALLY busy this week. You guys still want to see it? If so, I can get it posted in the morning.

#25 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 17 July 2009 - 08:58 PM

i'd love to see it.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com