• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts
  • Interests:Former Pro Wrestler so naturally Wrestling, Kinnikuman, Saint Seiya, Kinkeshi, Deka Kinkeshi & throw in some AoA!

Posted 25 March 2017 - 06:07 AM

Showcase #20: Bandai Kinnikuman "Custom Contest" Daishi & Trophy

This was posted way back when in March but I am in the process of putting all the showcases in one place.

I acquired a Daishi concerning a Kinnikuman contest from the 80's along with a small kinnikuman trophy (that apparently one could buy for 3,486 Yen?)

I have seen the Daishi in poster format before inclosed in certain Kinkeshi boxed sets from that time. The version I have in daishi form may or may not have been displayed in Gashapon machines.

Obviously the trophy I now own belonged to someone else (I covered it up) and what is interesting about this is that you could have your name engraved in the trophy. However I have no idea if it was awarded based on painting the custom Kinkeshi or if one could just buy it?

I have been trying to decipher what this contest was about and was wondering if anyone here at LRG had any additional information?

Nama Niku had a blog post about it in 2013 (he has a poster version of the daishi and scanned it):

https://nama-niku.bl...-from-past.html

In Showcase #7 I highlighted the Kinnikuman Tag Tournament Ring Sets. On the inside of each set is a flyer similar to the Daishi backing board (It's also an ad for other toys/products but it also concerns a Kinnikuman painting contest, I really wish I knew more about the contest!)

Regardless it made a nice addition to my collection and I thought: "Well I painted my own Deka...so I will award myself a trophy lol"

Attached Files

Edited by kayfabe1985, 13 July 2017 - 01:23 PM.

#2 gottahavefun99

gottahavefun99

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 11:28 AM

Would you be interested in selling this?

#3 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts
  • Interests:Former Pro Wrestler so naturally Wrestling, Kinnikuman, Saint Seiya, Kinkeshi, Deka Kinkeshi & throw in some AoA!

Posted 23 June 2017 - 03:00 PM

No, sorry.

#4 rajikaru

rajikaru

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 11:36 AM

If I had to guess from looking at the included page, maybe you found one that was mass-produced and awarded for participation (with a purchase), and the other two trophies shown are the ones awarded to the winner(s)/second runner(s) up of the contest? 

#5 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts

Posted 26 June 2017 - 12:36 PM

Its interesting that the gashapon machine Daishi (backing board) I own was also inserted as a leaflet/poster inside Kinnikuman toys/playsets as well. Probably encouraging kids to paint the kinkeshi figures etc

#6 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts

Posted 13 July 2017 - 01:24 PM

This topic was posted way back when in March but I am in the process of putting all the showcases in one place. So I thought I would make this #20 to add it to the rest of the showcases.

Here is an addition to this topic post: In Showcase #7 I highlighted the Kinnikuman Tag Tournament Ring Sets. On the inside of each set is a flyer similar to the Daishi backing board (It's also an ad for other toys/products but it also concerns a Kinnikuman painting contest, I really wish I knew more about the contest!)

Here are some pictures :)

Attached Files

• Attached File  1.jpg   99.16K   1 downloads
  • Attached File  2.jpg   193.92K   2 downloads
  • Attached File  3.jpg   166K   2 downloads
  • Attached File  4.jpg   98.25K   2 downloads

Edited by kayfabe1985, 13 July 2017 - 01:26 PM.

#7 OctopusMan

OctopusMan

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 08 February 2023 - 11:45 AM

I'm working on translating the ad. But the 3,486 is the total number of prizes.

Most of those prizes were the keychains you can see Suguru holding and on the middle-right of the page.

Apparently they split up entrants by elementary, junior high, and high school and the categories were painted figures, creating a unique battle scene, etc.

Edited by OctopusMan, 08 February 2023 - 12:23 PM.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com