#1 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10723 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:09 AM

http://www.mmaweekly...leashed-tuesday

This could have some very interesting implications, though it might have been better to pose the suit before Scott Coker took over as the head of Bellator.

Thoughts?

#2 Sixthwizard

Sixthwizard

6thWizard

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1977 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 08:59 AM

Crybabies.  

#3 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:01 AM

I mean, in some respects, yeah... But when you look past the fighters, to the financials? It's a pretty messy picture.

#4 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts
  • Interests:Collecting MIMP and playing Fantasy Baseball.

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:05 AM

Intriguing. UFC is large enough to be a monopoly/oligopoly. But I wonder what the specific allegations are? Popcorn on standby.

My MIMP Resource site: http://mimpcollective.weebly.com

Behemoth's Video Game and MIMP YouTube Page: https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

#5 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:08 AM

I think the basic accusation is similar to that of former NFL players that lodged regarding life-long injuries and concussions. There is the argument that "if you don't like it, find a different vocation", but I think there should be more responsibility on the promoters to to protect their fighters (which is ultimately protecting their own investment), but I'm just a grumpy old dude, what could I know?

#6 Edmasta

Edmasta

#Battlebeastsbattleground

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • Interests:80年代 ホラー
    GPK, Star Wars
    Neclos Fortress,
    Tattoos
    バトラーの聖剣

Posted 16 December 2014 - 09:51 AM

I think the basic accusation is similar to that of former NFL players that lodged regarding life-long injuries and concussions. There is the argument that "if you don't like it, find a different vocation", but I think there should be more responsibility on the promoters to to protect their fighters (which is ultimately protecting their own investment), but I'm just a grumpy old dude, what could I know?

Man I miss Pride FC!
......Sigh

bbb3.jpg

#7 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 10:07 AM

I do too, even though it was super corrupt, haha

#8 Sixthwizard

Sixthwizard

6thWizard

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1977 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 11:59 AM

I think LRG gave me carpal tunnel and a cyst in my wrist.  I am suing.  haha......  Same shit.  Stupid.  I hate the suits that bring about lawsuits.

No offense Behemoth (if you are that kind of suit) haha......don't sue me.  haha.......

Edited by Sixthwizard, 16 December 2014 - 12:02 PM.

#9 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 03:21 PM

http://bleacherrepor...ls-and-reaction

Here's an article that actually names a few of the fighters involved (Cung Le, Nate Quarry and John Fitch), and explains what the suit is specifically targeting (like, likeness rights).
I'm interested in seeing how that is resolved.

#10 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts
  • Interests:Collecting MIMP and playing Fantasy Baseball.

Posted 16 December 2014 - 04:14 PM

I think LRG gave me carpal tunnel and a cyst in my wrist.  I am suing.  haha......  Same shit.  Stupid.  I hate the suits that bring about lawsuits.

No offense Behemoth (if you are that kind of suit) haha......don't sue me.  haha.......

I have my eye on you... :)

My MIMP Resource site: http://mimpcollective.weebly.com

Behemoth's Video Game and MIMP YouTube Page: https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

#11 Sixthwizard

Sixthwizard

6thWizard

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1977 posts

Posted 16 December 2014 - 05:41 PM

As far as the fighters saying, "make more money off sponsors than UFC pays"- all sports players that deal with sponsorships make considerably more money off of the sponsors than their contract pay from whatever organization they are signed with. As far as my knowledge goes....

It's probably really unnerving to be part of something where you make 1% of the cuts and the giant makes 99%. I cannot say I wouldn't be upset...but this reminds me of companies where the lower people britch because the boss makes 5 times more than them and seems like they do nothing for it....

I believe the underlying moral to this is- contracts signed equal loss of freedom. Unless they have been swindled out of something, I say, too bad...you signed your names away and all rights therein.

#12 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 07:33 AM

I don't entirely agree with that. A lot of these guys are getting absolutely screwed on the front of likeness rights. Even then, promoters are notorious for inflating the expectations of fighters' potential for "opportunity" and play fast and loose with the meaning of "we'll get behind you with promotion, you'll have the opportunity to possibly make millions" or whatever. The fight game is oddly politcal, when it comes to NOT speaking up, for fear of not getting decent spots on fight cards as punishment.

#13 Sixthwizard

Sixthwizard

6thWizard

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1977 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 08:38 AM

I don't entirely agree with that. A lot of these guys are getting absolutely screwed on the front of likeness rights. Even then, promoters are notorious for inflating the expectations of fighters' potential for "opportunity" and play fast and loose with the meaning of "we'll get behind you with promotion, you'll have the opportunity to possibly make millions" or whatever. The fight game is oddly politcal, when it comes to NOT speaking up, for fear of not getting decent spots on fight cards as punishment.

.....You probably know more than most about this sort of thing. 

#14 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • 10723 posts

Posted 17 December 2014 - 09:16 AM

I mean, I never got into that high a level, but there was still a large portion of ass-kissing that had to be done to do that, too. It wasn't about how good of a fighter you were, otherwise Rock Castricone would have made The Ultimate Fighter when he tried out... No, they wanted guys who would get drunk and piss on beds. No self-respecting fighter is going to get drunk when they are in the midst of what is ostensibly an ongoing training camp. Why did UFC even put booze in the house?

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com