2 replies to this topic

#1 Squeezeplay

Squeezeplay

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 April 2017 - 03:49 PM

The next item I'm wondering about is a Hustle Bear shield I got back in the early 90s. The plastic and sticker are mint as far as I remember, I have not taken a pic of it yet though, as it's packed away in my collection storage.

This is my only frame of reference:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/252759704160

I'm not sure if Hustle Bear's shield is more valuable or less valuable than that, so any help would be appreciated.

Edited by Squeezeplay, 30 April 2017 - 03:50 PM.

#2 Beastformers

Beastformers

The White Rabbit @BEASTFORMERS

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 1852 posts
  • Interests:BEASTFORMERS:
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    Protecting, Defending & Preserving the original vintage line by TAKARA/HASBRO
    (1986-1988)

Posted 01 May 2017 - 02:37 AM

In relation to your other request this one might be a bit ¨easier¨ to rate although the estimate price on this one would be in a much wider range.

Problem here is that you´ve no pics of the actual item and as you might know condition is everything especially with those shields where stickers might´ve come loose a bit, have become damaged or whatever and all of this directly influences the price. What also had an effect on the pricing of these shields were the reproductions which were available a few years back, this made their value drop quite a bit but since than the market for the shields seems to have been recovering again slowly as your Ebay reference showed. It´s important to note that the one on Ebay is a so called Euro Shield which is one of the 6 shields that was only available in a few limited EU countries resulting in the fact they´re so hard to come by. The good news is that your Hustle Bear shield is one of those 6 as well which means he´s valuable, IF in good condition, but it is hard to compare the various EU shields with each other since some go for more while others go for only a fraction of that price. There are not a whole lot collectors out there who have a full EU shield set in their collection and you´ve to be lucky that those who´re working on completing one are just missing this Hustle Bear one, in that case you might get close to the $250-300 if you find the right collector and the shield itself is in good condition. On the other hand though there´s also a lot of collectors, including myself, who´ve a hard time spending those amounts on just a little piece of plastic with a sticker on it because solely based on the looks it might´ve as well been a Mac Donalds, Happy Meal, thing if you wouldn´t know the details. From that perspective spending those kind of amounts are hard to justify for most collectors.

Assuming the Shield is in good condition without issues and it is an original one, if it´s been in storage for years it most likely is but the pics will prove it, realistically you´re looking at a value of somewhere in the range of $150-300 for that shield at the moment. The estimate is so wide due to the fact that these shields don´t come by very often and those who changed owner over the last few years have gone for prices within that range. Based on the more recent Ebay listings it´s likely it should fetch around $200 at least but like mentioned it´ll mainly depend upon who´s interested in it.

Hope this helped as well ;)

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Collector & Founder of the Beastformers Blog

lrg-signature-beastformers-blog.gif

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#3 Squeezeplay

Squeezeplay

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 May 2017 - 11:05 AM

In relation to your other request this one might be a bit ¨easier¨ to rate although the estimate price on this one would be in a much wider range.

*snip*

Hope this helped as well ;)

Yes that helps immensely. That was a really well-thought out and well-articulated explanation! Thanks so much :^)

I can dig out my BB/LB collection at some point soon and take pics. When I put them away, the shield was as pristine as you can get. No clue how it fared in storage though. As I understand it, the repros have markings that distinguish them as repros. I bought this shield years before anyone had ever reproed them and it does not have markings that say repro on it. It also was not from a source that reproed toys, was not even from an online source but a local source so there is absolutely no chance at all that it can be a repro.

Again, thanks so much for the info. It helps immensely as now I know that this is not just a $100 item. Part of the money I get from selling it will go to medical expenses for an injured stray cat I just took into my rescue as well :^)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Laser Beast, Battle Beast, Hustle Bear, Orbs, shield

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com