#1 Screamer

Screamer

Ping Pong Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Interests:MUSCLE #136, TMNT Sidekicks, GB Companion Ghosts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 03:57 PM

I didn't really know what to title this... but I have a few questions regarding the Glyos system joints. Can anyone use the peg like system they use (created?) for this line?

What I am trying to figure out is the legality/morality of using the joint system to make and sell figures and accessories. I have had several ideas of stuff I would like to create to compliment the brand with the potential of trading/selling. This has been something I have thought about since I purchased my first Glyos figure and was incapable of acquiring any of those awesome TGB custom heads.

Since then I have seen numerous occasions where the system is used for new creations, which I personally think is great-more Glyos compatible stuff the better in my mind, but I question the legality/morality of this. There is also a huge range, from entire new lines being created to customizes making a handful of heads.

On these occsions have people acquired some sort of formal or legal approval? Is this even necessary? I'm quite confused as to the legitimacy of the Glyos related stuff being released outside the official releases through Glyos Onell.

Perhaps I am overthinking or overlooking something here. Maybe this a simple peg in joint system that is considered public domain so to speak? Any thoughts or insight is welcome.

#2 mhxistenz

mhxistenz

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 108 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 04:57 PM

I think that would be a question for Onell Design.

#3 PlasticSoul

PlasticSoul

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2786 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 05:33 PM

Are you taking about doing self-produced runs of toys or factory made stuff? 

Almost all the people I know who have made stuff to fit with Glyos toys don't actually use Glyos pegs for the joints. The reason being in the molding process most stuff shrinks very slightly which can matter with joints. There is a specific thing at hobby lobby that most people used to replace the Glyos pegs when molding/casting because it is slightly bigger then the pegs for a better fit especially over time and much longer as well which is very helpful for custom stuff. 

#4 Screamer

Screamer

Ping Pong Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 05:50 PM

I think that would be a question for Onell Design.

I considered that. I have attempted contacting them 3-4 times in the past for various other reasons and have received no response. I figured since some members have used the joints they might be able to shed some light on the matter. Maybe they would be familiar with any formalities (if any) involoved in doing so. I'm trying to get feel and an understanding of the process from fellow members here.

#5 Eddieinthecity

Eddieinthecity

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Interests:toys, toy design, scultping, inventing

Posted 19 May 2016 - 05:59 PM

Almost all the people I know who have made stuff to fit with Glyos toys don't actually use Glyos pegs for the joints. The reason being in the molding process most stuff shrinks very slightly which can matter with joints. There is a specific thing at hobby lobby that most people used to replace the Glyos pegs when molding/casting because it is slightly bigger then the pegs for a better fit especially over time and much longer as well which is very helpful for custom stuff. 

Id like to know what hobby lobby item you speak of please

#6 PlasticSoul

PlasticSoul

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2786 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 06:06 PM

Id like to know what hobby lobby item you speak of please

I will see if I can find a link when I have time but they are torches. Just solid plastic torch looking things for trains or models or something like that. They come in big packs and are dirt cheap but the absolute perfect size. 

#7 Screamer

Screamer

Ping Pong Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 06:10 PM

Wow. Ok. I didn't know that. I was thinking/talking about self produced (small production) type stuff. That all actually makes a lot of sense. Would you (or anyone) happen to know the name of the product? This is the type of information I was hoping for. The breadth of knowledge here is astounding.

#8 Eddieinthecity

Eddieinthecity

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 06:10 PM

I will see if I can find a link when I have time but they are torches. Just solid plastic torch looking things for trains or models or something like that. They come in big packs and are dirt cheap but the absolute perfect size. 

http://www.hobbylobb...Torches/p/24375

These?

#9 PlasticSoul

PlasticSoul

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2786 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 06:16 PM

Wow. Ok. I didn't know that. I was thinking/talking about self produced (small production) type stuff. That all actually makes a lot of sense. Would you (or anyone) happen to know the name of the product? This is the type of information I was hoping for. The breadth of knowledge here is astounding.

In the past Matt has gone above and beyond helping artists do their thing as far as custom pieces for their stuff. He actually contacted me and complimented the rabbit head I did a few years ago then offered me a wonderful discount on a small run of their figures for another custom project I had in mind. He even through in a bunch of free stuff thinking the extras would be useful for my project. Truly a kind and generous person.

Yup those things! The fit is much tighter then Glyos pegs which is exactly what you need if you are casting in resin. 

#10 Screamer

Screamer

Ping Pong Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 06:26 PM

Cool. That is great! Thanks for sharing Plastic.

I love the Glyos line and I think they do a fantastic job. That's why I'm hell bent on trying to find a legitimate way to partake. I have impatiently been awaiting another Spectre Force release.

And these fit well after the shrinking involved from creating a new mold and casting? So you can design your figure/accessory right on top of one of the pegs?

Edited by Screamer, 19 May 2016 - 06:28 PM.

#11 PlasticSoul

PlasticSoul

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2786 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 06:36 PM

Cool. That is great! Thanks for sharing Plastic.

I love the Glyos line and I think they do a fantastic job. That's why I'm hell bent on trying to find a legitimate way to partake. I have impatiently been awaiting another Spectre Force release.

And these fit well after the shrinking involved from creating a new mold and casting? So you can design your figure/accessory right on top of one of the pegs?

Yeah they fit perfectly before and after casting. I sculpted a head they once it was finished just made a little hole in the neck and glued in the piece from the torch then had it all molded together. 

#12 Screamer

Screamer

Ping Pong Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 06:39 PM

Yeah they fit perfectly before and after casting. I sculpted a head they once it was finished just made a little hole in the neck and glued in the piece from the torch then had it all molded together.

Awesome! That actually sounds much easier. Thanks a lot bud!!

#13 Eddieinthecity

Eddieinthecity

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 06:42 PM

Just bought some torches...damn shipping. I had to tack on some resin to make it worth it.

#14 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 19 May 2016 - 11:32 PM

Matt is a great guy and very generous, as long as your aren't stealing his system at the factory level I don't think it matters.

Those torches work very well to sculpt on.

#15 Eddieinthecity

Eddieinthecity

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 04:52 AM

I work in the toy industry and one major rule is you don't reveal something internationally without legal protection. As far as I know he can trademark the look of his designs only. If someone were to mass produce his exact figure line, theres an issue. The joint system has so many ways around it, i dont think its worth it to patent. I don't know Onell but I think he just wanted to get a cool figure out there. People will do customs no matter what. Also you have to consider, is it really worth it pursuing legal action? Will you sue someone  for making 60 bucks by piggy backing to your product?

#16 BadLarry

BadLarry

Jake All Day

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 442 posts
  • Interests:Robot & monster toys, Lego, MUSCLE, etc.

Posted 20 May 2016 - 07:23 AM

I'm not an expert in legal or moral issues as they relate to toys, but I don't think there's anything wrong with making your own accessories to add on to that system/line.

From a moral standpoint, I don't think you are ripping his work off, you're adding on to it. I guess some might see that as an affront, but that seems to fall on the extreme end.

On the legal side, if Lego can't block (see what I did there?) Megablox et al from making compatible products, I doubt it's possible. They have certainly tried - multiple lawsuits in multiple countries have all been shot down by the courts.

Thank you

#17 Screamer

Screamer

Ping Pong Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 02:52 PM

I was thinking the exact joint system had been seeing use outside Glyos, which is a different matter altogether (especially legally) than the one PlasticSoul has suggested. I very much doubt anyone would be getting sued over such small sums of money in this situation.

I was really interested in the perspectives of other artists who make and sell their own toys. How they felt about Glyos compatible stuff being made. Some may have had or know of similar experiences and situations at the Indie toy level. The amount of experience on here with this sort of stuff far exceeds anywhere else I would know to look. Maybe those making compatible parts had received some sort of formal approval. Or if that was even pereceived as something necessary to do. I really just wasn't sure and is why I asked. I didn't want to make something and see some sort of backlash because of it.

I feel comfortable with the responses and appreciate everyone's input.

#18 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 03:19 PM

I work in the toy industry and one major rule is you don't reveal something internationally without legal protection. As far as I know he can trademark the look of his designs only. If someone were to mass produce his exact figure line, theres an issue. The joint system has so many ways around it, i dont think its worth it to patent. I don't know Onell but I think he just wanted to get a cool figure out there. People will do customs no matter what. Also you have to consider, is it really worth it pursuing legal action? Will you sue someone for making 60 bucks by piggy backing to your product?

Well it mostly comes down to how you go about it, and the respectful way you go about it. You can be black balled and outed easily in the indie toy community. So it's not so much about suing, but being outed and no one will buy your stuff. People have been bullied into quitting custom toy making.

#19 Eddieinthecity

Eddieinthecity

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 20 May 2016 - 03:39 PM

Well it mostly comes down to how you go about it, and the respectful way you go about it. You can be black balled and outed easily in the indie toy community. So it's not so much about suing, but being outed and no one will buy your stuff. People have been bullied into quitting custom toy making.

I can see that happening. I wish it were the same way in the mass market sector. There is so much scum in this industry and corporations trample you with their legal teams after they've screwed you.

#20 Stratos

Stratos

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 282 posts

Posted 07 September 2016 - 06:35 AM

Anyone have pics of custom stuff they've made with these torches?

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: glyos, onell, peg, system, customs

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com