18 replies to this topic

#1 Bman

Bman

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 07:52 PM

I was going through some old toys I want to sell on ebay and I found over a dozen greek battle beasts. After looking on ebay I'm not sure how to price them. Does the color affect the price? Thanks for any help I can get on figuring it out.

#2 Grencats

Grencats

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 03 August 2015 - 08:35 PM

People like to list them high for Buy It Now, but they don't sell for much when they hit auction. They are just such a specialized section of an already specialized market. You can list your pink and blue for $100 each like everyone else, but they probably wont sell for much more than $25. The black and silver ones seem to be the least valuable. I've gotten into collecting them myself. Send me some pics and lets see what you have got.

#3 Bman

Bman

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 05:25 AM

Here are a couple photos of what I have. The first one is all the figures including the one non Greek one I have. The second photo is all the weapons.

I'd prefer to sell them as a set.

Attached Files

Edited by Bman, 04 August 2015 - 05:26 AM.

#4 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 3561 posts
  • Interests:Digital Media, Travel, LRGs
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 04 August 2015 - 07:52 AM

I can echo what Grencats said above regarding value and colors. There aren't as many GBB collectors but I think those who have pursued them usually try to put together sets, so an individual figure in a certain color might go for a lot on eBay, thus setting the trend of uninformed sellers listing them for so high seems to have stuck around. I personally only have a few of these, all the cheaper metallic or black ones. Paid $7 each IIRC, but I think $10 is probably reasonable for those. (I'm speaking incomplete btw, I've not really paid attention to the weapon value on these)

Anyway if you decide to split them up and sell individually let me know. I would be interested in that green crab for a fair price just to have one of the colored ones.

Edited by bachamn, 04 August 2015 - 07:54 AM.

#5 Grencats

Grencats

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 04 August 2015 - 04:17 PM

Well, it's a fun set for sure! I do see that there are some with the wrong arms, so that will affect the price that you get. Most people want the correct arms on their figures but it's nice you have some weapons too. If you do list it I will probably place a bid, or PM me what you want for the lot.

#6 Flashbax

Flashbax

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Head writer/editor for ToyRobot Magazine

Owner at Flashbax Toy Store

Transformers, Transforming robots, Godzilla, Dino Riders, D&D

Posted 06 August 2015 - 07:47 AM

I'm hessitant to go after these since they only have surfaced in the last decade or so and sudfdenly there are hundreds out there for sale. What I'd like to know is, how can you ID a real from a fake?

Just a dude that loves collecting

#7 Bman

Bman

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 08:04 AM

I will have an update on what's available in a few days. As far as the provenance of my collection goes, I've had them since about 1992 and they came from an airforce kid who spent time in Greece or Turkey.

#8 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 06 August 2015 - 08:15 AM

I'm hessitant to go after these since they only have surfaced in the last decade or so and sudfdenly there are hundreds out there for sale. What I'd like to know is, how can you ID a real from a fake?

True that they've only been popular in the collecting community for about that long (based on the old threads I read on here) but I think we know about them by now to firmly place them in context with the rest of the releases. More time isn't likely to provide you with any more information about them.

I think they are turning up more as a result of people realizing they are worth something and pulling them out to sell, I think that can probably be said about most toys these days. Unfortunately as mentioned earlier ITT there was a crazy rush on them early on which spiked prices (much like the Russian BB's when they were discovered), and most sellers still don't seem to have a grasp on the actual sale-able value. I'm not aware of anyone making "bootleg" GBBs though, I mean they're technically bootlegs themselves. If one did exist you could likely use the same method for ID'ing them as any other rubber figure KO: flashing, flexibility of rubber, color, etc.

the "real" GBB's are mono, come in predetermined colors, and made of material that is very similar to the original figures. For a non-licensed product the quality is surprisingly high.

In my opinion though, you can safely collect these without worrying about accidentally buying bootlegs (that probably don't even exist).

Edited by bachamn, 06 August 2015 - 08:18 AM.

#9 Flashbax

Flashbax

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts
  • Interests:Head writer/editor for ToyRobot Magazine

Owner at Flashbax Toy Store

Transformers, Transforming robots, Godzilla, Dino Riders, D&D

Posted 06 August 2015 - 02:56 PM

True that they've only been popular in the collecting community for about that long (based on the old threads I read on here) but I think we know about them by now to firmly place them in context with the rest of the releases. More time isn't likely to provide you with any more information about them.

I think they are turning up more as a result of people realizing they are worth something and pulling them out to sell, I think that can probably be said about most toys these days. Unfortunately as mentioned earlier ITT there was a crazy rush on them early on which spiked prices (much like the Russian BB's when they were discovered), and most sellers still don't seem to have a grasp on the actual sale-able value. I'm not aware of anyone making "bootleg" GBBs though, I mean they're technically bootlegs themselves. If one did exist you could likely use the same method for ID'ing them as any other rubber figure KO: flashing, flexibility of rubber, color, etc.

the "real" GBB's are mono, come in predetermined colors, and made of material that is very similar to the original figures. For a non-licensed product the quality is surprisingly high.

In my opinion though, you can safely collect these without worrying about accidentally buying bootlegs (that probably don't even exist).

that's what I needed to know, thank you!

Just a dude that loves collecting

#10 TinyPink

TinyPink

Vengeful Ghost of Bubba Ritter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1551 posts

Posted 06 August 2015 - 03:08 PM

I'd like some of these 'Greeks', but I just don't know enough about them.

I also like the milky 'gumball' Beasts.

Welcomed currency:  Rubber Uglies, rubber monsters, jigglers, vinyl monsters, Arco monsters, Imperial monsters, fish cans....

#11 Beastformers

Beastformers

The White Rabbit @BEASTFORMERS

• 1852 posts
  • Interests:BEASTFORMERS:
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    Protecting, Defending & Preserving the original vintage line by TAKARA/HASBRO
    (1986-1988)

Posted 06 August 2015 - 03:45 PM

As an addition to Bachamn reply;

It´s true there´s almost no reproductions of the GBB out there although some Russian collectors have been creating some figs in colors that got close but those are made of some hard kind of plastic so it can´t be mistaken for the rubber of the GBB. That said there is quite a variety in rubber quality amongst the GBB themselves so it can happen that within one color you have figures that´re made out of a more sturdy rubber while others seem to be more flexible but also this is within limits and its known amongst the GBB collectors. In many cases the different flexibility of the rubber also comes with slight shade/tone differences within the colors.

Another interesting thing is the fact that a decade or so ago the first of these GBB that showed up were considered to be protoypes from the Takara or Hasbro factory since none had ever seen a completely monotone colored BB before and by than there were only a few known. Over time it slowly became clear that these montone colored figs occured in varies colors and that they originated from Greece. Produced by El Greco but never licensed by Hasbro, who was responsible for the distribution of the Battle Beasts in Europe, which means the Greek BB are actually a bootleg line on their own like Bachamn mentioned as they´re not licensed. By now we know quite a bit about them but with a total of 224 figures to collect I´m sure there´s still more stories to be found.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Collector & Founder of the Beastformers Blog

lrg-signature-beastformers-blog.gif

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#12 Bman

Bman

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 10 August 2015 - 07:28 PM

This is what I have left. I'm entertaining offers for individuals and the set. The ones in the picture with the weapons come with those weapons. If you want any close up pictures let me know.

Attached Files

#13 Bman

Bman

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 August 2015 - 01:24 PM

Green weasel is gone. Send me offers on the others.

#14 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• 3561 posts
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 14 August 2015 - 02:01 PM

Green weasel is gone. Send me offers on the others.

OBO listings aren't allowed here, you'll need to add some prices if you're actively selling them (and probably have this thread moved to the Marketplace)   :yes:

Edited by bachamn, 14 August 2015 - 02:02 PM.

#15 retroactive80z

retroactive80z

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1237 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, Laser Beasts, Fake Battle Beasts, Custom Battle beasts.
    BATTLE BEASTS ROCK AND SO DO YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted 19 August 2015 - 04:23 PM

Bit late to the party here.
I'm a huge collector of Greek BB there really cool and a lot of fun to collect.
Your gem in the lot was that green Crab I hope you got a good price for him.

A lot of Greeks try there luck with the buy it now prices on eBay asking $100 for a silver beast however I would pay $100 a beast for some of the last ones I need for certain colors.
So I guess it depends on the collector and how much they want a full set which is a really hard task to do but I know three of us are getting varly close.

Certain Greek beast weapons are harder to come by then others aswell and you had a few of these in your lot.

Good luck with your sales there really cool toys.

#16 Grencats

Grencats

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 04 September 2015 - 09:16 PM

Produced by El Greco but never licensed by Hasbro, who was responsible for the distribution of the Battle Beasts in Europe, which means the Greek BB are actually a bootleg line on their own like Bachamn mentioned as they´re not licensed.

I was thinking about this, and it didn't seem to make sense to me. Wasn't El Greco a licensed manufacturer? However there is no El Greco or Hasbro logo on the Greek Battle Beast boxes.

I remembered that for the original Takara Transformers G1 minibots, there was a different licensed manufacturer for each country they had been released in. For example In Mexico it was IGA or Plastico. In Brazil it was Estrella. In France it was Ceji. So I presumed that Greece must have been El Greco. So a quick search led me to this minibot listing with both hasbro, and el greco names on it. So I think the Greek Battle Beasts were licensed after all.

http://www.ebay.com/...5-/221521925201

#17 Shadow Bat

Shadow Bat

Serious Collector

• 360 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 03:15 AM

my immediate thought on this goes to the el Greco gold laser beast weapons and the exogini muscle men

even if the company was allowed to make the beasts monochromatic, which I doubt would have been permitted, they gave laser beast weapons to their visionaries sold the greek beasts as series 2 (or 3, I forget) to their muscle men who they also packaged is battle beast boxes plus their pamphlets were designed with many beasts having the wrong arms.

I don't think Takara or Hasbro would allow that.

but I could be wrong

However, there was a factory in Spain where we believe the molds were obtained from and it is possible that if they were buying up molds from there, that they could have gotten everything the needed to produce as accurate a card as they wanted

I was thinking about this, and it didn't seem to make sense to me. Wasn't El Greco a licensed manufacturer? However there is no El Greco or Hasbro logo on the Greek Battle Beast boxes.

I remembered that for the original Takara Transformers G1 minibots, there was a different licensed manufacturer for each country they had been released in. For example In Mexico it was IGA or Plastico. In Brazil it was Estrella. In France it was Ceji. So I presumed that Greece must have been El Greco. So a quick search led me to this minibot listing with both hasbro, and el greco names on it. So I think the Greek Battle Beasts were licensed after all.

http://www.ebay.com/...5-/221521925201

#18 Beastformers

Beastformers

The White Rabbit @BEASTFORMERS

• 1852 posts
  • Interests:BEASTFORMERS:
    BB-LB-GBB-BDC-BS
    Protecting, Defending & Preserving the original vintage line by TAKARA/HASBRO
    (1986-1988)

Posted 05 September 2015 - 07:30 AM

So far there´s no serious reason to assume that the GBB were indeed licensed by Hasbro in some way as ShadowBat already stated above and there´s a couple of reasons for that;

- The complete absence of any reference to the actual Battle Beasts name or names

- No logo from Hasbro/Takara on the packaging as well as the complete absence of any serious reference with manufacturing info on it.

- The wrong composition of the arms on the Greek checklist

And we can probably continue with a whole lot more details that are completely against a licensed BB release in Greece.

Let´s not forget MB was responsible for most if not ALL of the BB releases in Europe since they were licensed to do so by Hasbro but it is unclear how the connection between Hasbro and MB was after the BB period (late ´80s) because it looks like at some point original molds have been sold to El Greco from the Spanish factory most likely without Hasbro knowing about it. So the further we go away from Takara and Hasbro via licensed partners it becomes even harder to trace what´s actually happened with original items after the whole release stopped.

It´s interesting seeing a TF packaging with the El Greco Logo on it as well as the Hasbro one but I´d rather have seen the backside where in most cases all the manufacturing and license info is shown. El Greco was known for its bootlegs back in Greece as far as I know so I´d even doubt the TF to be an original or licensed release overthere.

BEASTFORMERS ビーストフォーマー                               

Collector & Founder of the Beastformers Blog

lrg-signature-beastformers-blog.gif

For more info about the Beastformers Archaeology (-BA-) Project please click HERE

In case you might not be able to contact The White Rabbit via LRG for whatever reason use the contact options on the Beastformers Blog

#19 Grencats

Grencats

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 05 September 2015 - 11:09 AM

I wonder if El Greco was working with Hasbro for the release of the Transformers G1 minibots and then cancelled their partnership a few years later. They could have already had the Battle Beast molds at that point and released them unlicensed  without the Hasbro logo.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com