Ruling Lands Far And Wide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2309 posts
  • Interests:Ultraman,
    Dragon Ball
    Kinnikuman,GPK

Posted 27 September 2007 - 07:42 AM

Nope,thats alot of work (as you mentioned KM) to try and draw GB's,and the prize is'nt enough to get me motivated. Alot of you guys used computers last time,so this contest should still be interesting without me.

These art contests aren't really about the prize, so much as they are about getting creative, showcasing your art and having some fun. I would have thought that you'd be all over this one. Well, since you are backing out, I think I'll have to come up with something myself.

WhiteLeo, this one is going until the 9th or 10th, correct?

Well to be honest,I've been getting creative,showcasing my art ,and having fun just drawing Kinnikuman characters. The $20 prize you offered up for the last contest was pretty good motivation.
Buuuuuut, alright,I'll try to come up with something. My paper supply is completely gone after this one though.

And not to try and beat a dead horse about computer art Vs. traditional art,but it'd be like George Lucas challenging Ray Harryhaussen to an effects contest. Which piece of art would you rather have? A custom molded Medusa from Clash of the Titans? Or a ummm downloaded cd rom of the podracing scene from Phantom Menace? :no:

#27 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:03 AM

And not to try and beat a dead horse about computer art Vs. traditional art,but it'd be like George Lucas challenging Ray Harryhaussen to an effects contest. Which piece of art would you rather have? A custom molded Medusa from Clash of the Titans? Or a ummm downloaded cd rom of the podracing scene from Phantom Menace? :no:

Harryhaussen all the Way! I like some of the CG from the Star Wars flicks, but I grew up with muppets and claymation, so I love the stuff. The fact that they were able to make such great movies and graphics just using handsculpted figures without the assistance of smoothing and shading programs from Computers will always be an awesome feat!

Posted Image

#28 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:08 AM

Well to be honest,I've been getting creative,showcasing my art ,and having fun just drawing Kinnikuman characters. The $20 prize you offered up for the last contest was pretty good motivation.
Buuuuuut, alright,I'll try to come up with something. My paper supply is completely gone after this one though.

It doesn't have to be as big as the other stuff you have been doing bro. I'll be doing mine on 8 1/2 x 11. :no:

#29 Kevin Mayle

Kevin Mayle

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:23 AM

Czarcher: "Nope,thats alot of work (as you mentioned KM) to try and draw GB's,and the prize is'nt enough to get me motivated."

So that means you are not up to the challenge. The challenge of trying to stretch a bit out of your comfort zone. The challenge of bettering yourself and your art skills. You require someone to pay you to be motivated.

jkaris: "These art contests aren't really about the prize, so much as they are about getting creative, showcasing your art and having some fun."

Yeah, the contest was there, and we were motivated, and then the prizes were offered out of generosity.

Czarcher: "And not to try and beat a dead horse about computer art Vs. traditional art,but it'd be like George Lucas challenging Ray Harryhaussen to an effects contest. Which piece of art would you rather have?"

I think you might be slightly confused. As far as which piece of art I would rather have, it would definately be Ray Harryhausen's. I'm about the biggest Harryhausen fan you'll ever meet. But If I were making a film in today's market, I would have to go with ILM effects. Not for personal tastes, but for marketability. But if it was for a fun art contest where I had to choose which picture appealed to me the most, I would pick Ralph Mcquarrie's 30 year old concept art and Matte paintings for Star Wars over the modern and spectacular digital effects of Revenge of the Sith.

Do what you want man, I'm just a little miffed. First you made it sound like anyone that used a computer in the first contest basically cheated, and if they hadn't you'd have beat them hands down. Then you made a thread (that has been deleted) about how disappointed your art couldn't beat the "crap" as you put it, that the rest of us entered in that contest. Now we made one specifically for you. To appease you after your insults, and you couldn't be bothered with it unless someone pays you.

#30 Czarcher

Czarcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2309 posts
    Dragon Ball
    Kinnikuman,GPK

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:29 AM

It doesn't have to be as big as the other stuff you have been doing bro. I'll be doing mine on 8 1/2 x 11. :cry:

Can't wait to see what your gonna do Johnny ! :no:

#31 Czarcher

Czarcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2309 posts
    Dragon Ball
    Kinnikuman,GPK

Posted 27 September 2007 - 10:44 AM

Czarcher: "Nope,thats alot of work (as you mentioned KM) to try and draw GB's,and the prize is'nt enough to get me motivated."

So that means you are not up to the challenge. The challenge of trying to stretch a bit out of your comfort zone. The challenge of bettering yourself and your art skills. You require someone to pay you to be motivated.
I've been busy drawing stuff I actually want to draw. And Yes the prize was motivation. Try living on top ramen for weeks at a time,$20 woulda been a nice prize. What am I gonna do with a $2 Ramenman figure? Look at it while I eat my Ramen?

Do what you want man, I'm just a little miffed. First you made it sound like anyone that used a computer in the first contest basically cheated, and if they hadn't you'd have beat them hands down. Then you made a thread (that has been deleted) about how disappointed your art couldn't beat the "crap" as you put it, that the rest of us entered in that contest. Now we made one specifically for you. To appease you after your insults, and you couldn't be bothered with it unless someone pays you.

:no: Hmmmm...I don't think I 'insulted' anyone. In that thread that was deleted,I DID say 'No Offense',because I was'nt knocking peoples art,I was more discouraged with my own art.
'Cheated'=no,unfair advantage maybe.
Hope this helps your 'Miff' :cry:

#32 Kevin Mayle

Kevin Mayle

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 27 September 2007 - 11:05 AM

Hope this helps your 'Miff' :no:

I'm over it. I got the impression from that other thread that you were interested in becoming a professional artist. My mistake. That would require self motivation and the desire to grow and improve instead of saying the rest of the field needs to stay back at your level. I'll get back to the fun the rest of us were having with these contests.

#33 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts
  • Interests:A little info on me I am a pretty big Forgotten Realms fan, I love R.A. Salvatore books. I love dragons! Lord of the Rings, Star Trek "Borgs Mostly", Battle Beasts. I love playing on the Computer, Fixing, Designing and just about everything with them. I collect Quinton Hoover Magic Cards, and artwork of him. Also some other favorite artists Greg Horn, Al Rio and Frank Cho and spending time with my wife and three daughters.

Posted 27 September 2007 - 03:47 PM

Well, I am sorry that the prizes arn't good enough. :cry: I thought it was all about the fun of it anyways. Hum.....my mistake. :no: Anyways, I hope everyone is having fun doing the contest, and if we need more time let me know.

WhiteLeo

I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.

#34 Reccoom Kaboom

Reccoom Kaboom

I'm back! And I brought my back with me!

• Legends
  • 917 posts
  • Interests:Taking old toys and making them new again.
    Staying motivated artisticly, creatively.
    Keeping my XboX360 addiction under controll.
    Putting my surplus M.U.S.C.L.E.s in trades of other toylines.
    Talking like Tom Waits more often.
    Getting that Y/S N*T tattooed big n' bold accross my back.
    Having my dentist build me some new permanent fangs.

Posted 27 September 2007 - 07:15 PM

I don't need more time, as much as I need tech information:

1. What are the Godbeast Figure's names?

2. What was the name of the first tournament with sunshine and Asyuraman (shivan?)?

3. Since he's the one who's cast pretty much all the figures involved, shouldn't a Godbeast entry be manditory?

4. Can we have the voting at one per person this time?
Posted Image

#35 Czarcher

Czarcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2309 posts
    Dragon Ball
    Kinnikuman,GPK

Posted 27 September 2007 - 07:21 PM

2. What was the name of the first tournament with sunshine and Asyuraman (shivan?)?

3. Since he's the one who's cast pretty much all the figures involved, shouldn't a Godbeast entry be manditory?

I'm almost done as well. ;)
1- Fire Lion , Water Tuna , Wood Beetle
2- Don't know
3- I agree
4- I agree

#36 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts
  • Interests:A little info on me I am a pretty big Forgotten Realms fan, I love R.A. Salvatore books. I love dragons! Lord of the Rings, Star Trek "Borgs Mostly", Battle Beasts. I love playing on the Computer, Fixing, Designing and just about everything with them. I collect Quinton Hoover Magic Cards, and artwork of him. Also some other favorite artists Greg Horn, Al Rio and Frank Cho and spending time with my wife and three daughters.

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:51 PM

I am not sure on #2, maybe some of the muscle guys know.
3. You have to have at least one GB and one Super rear muscle. If that is what you mean?
4. Yeah, I think we will do just one vote per person this time. ;)

I will never quit.

#37 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 27 September 2007 - 08:59 PM

I'll try to do something over the weekend, no promises, and it may only be in pencil, but I need the pic of the godbeasts. You know the concept pic that Marty used for referenc in sculpting them.

Posted Image

#38 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 05:16 AM

Here is a pic of the GB's.

WhiteLeo

Attached Files

I will never quit.

#39 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 07:14 AM

Thanks Leo!

Posted Image

#40 Czarcher

Czarcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2309 posts
    Dragon Ball
    Kinnikuman,GPK

Posted 28 September 2007 - 08:18 AM

Here it is,about 15 hours straight on this one. That was alot of work fun !
22x28 Colored Pencils/Inks
FIRE LION & MYSTERIOUS PARTNER

Attached Files

#41 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 03:33 PM

Very Kewl Bryce! :) MYSTERIOUS PARTNER!?!?! Is he a actual character or a character in disguise.

WhiteLeo

I will never quit.

#42 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 03:46 PM

Very Kewl Bryce! :D MYSTERIOUS PARTNER!?!?! Is he a actual character or a character in disguise.

WhiteLeo

Its a mystery!!! :)

:p

Posted Image

#43 Czarcher

Czarcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2309 posts
    Dragon Ball
    Kinnikuman,GPK

Posted 28 September 2007 - 04:00 PM

Very Kewl Bryce! :D MYSTERIOUS PARTNER!?!?! Is he a actual character or a character in disguise.

WhiteLeo

Thanks! :p Don't know :) ,but he was in the Super-Rare section.
I shoulda put Fire Lion in front,...oh well too late now. :D

#44 Kevin Mayle

Kevin Mayle

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 04:03 PM

OK, after several sketches attempted over the past few weeks such as this...
Posted Image
I finally sat down today after work and finished one.
Posted Image
Drawn with a sharpie at 11"x14" and shaded with watered down acrylic paint.
All 3 God Beasts vs. SHA, BHS & Drunken Master.

Edited by Kevin Mayle, 06 January 2009 - 07:41 PM.

#45 Kevin Mayle

Kevin Mayle

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 04:16 PM

Well, now that I look at my pics, I shoulda inked that first sketch in because it's way more action packed and fits the "Battle Royale" motif much better.
I wouldn't mind if you use both of them in the voting poll as 2 separate entries.

Edited by kevinmayle, 28 September 2007 - 04:18 PM.

#46 meatcutta78

meatcutta78

Im a M.U.S.C.L.E head.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2479 posts
  • Interests:I'm all about mono mini sculpts! , I also like long walks on the beach and wearing G-Strings in the privacy of my home.

Posted 28 September 2007 - 05:13 PM

Holy crapanoly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Dude thats awesome.Perfect,I love how you have the Super Rares sarrounding the GODBEASTS.
BHS doesn't even looked scared. :p Now the 1st pic i really like but i love the way you had Drunken Master set up kind of like let go of my
Vodka punk.Great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:)
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#47 Czarcher

Czarcher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2309 posts
    Dragon Ball
    Kinnikuman,GPK

Posted 28 September 2007 - 05:20 PM

Well, now that I look at my pics, I shoulda inked that first sketch in because it's way more action packed and fits the "Battle Royale" motif much better.
I wouldn't mind if you use both of them in the voting poll as 2 separate entries.

I'll bet :) Always looking for an advantage eh KM?
Your obviously gonna win with the one you inked. I'm not bitter,nice job,but honestly,it's TOO clutered.
Out of the GB's,I can only make out Wood Beetle,and Water Tuna's head. This woulda kicked ass had you colored it. -just my opinion. But good job,I'd expect nothing less from a proffesional published artist such as yourself.

#48 Kevin Mayle

Kevin Mayle

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 06:02 PM

Thanks for the compliments! I could say that in the midst of a 6 man battle it should be hard to make out all the details, but that would just be an excuse, because I didn't plan it that way. It would have turned out much nicer if I had colored it, but I bought a Wacom tablet so I wouldn't have to spend money on art supplies anymore, and really don't have much traditional media to color with now. As for me winning, I wouldn't be so sure, because there should be some more entries coming this weekend, including Nate and Reccoom's. But I do want that Ramenman. Actually, I think he's Mongolman. Well, I hope to see more good stuff from the rest of you guys!

Edited by kevinmayle, 28 September 2007 - 06:13 PM.

#49 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 08:57 PM

Great entries so far guys!

I really like parts of everyones.

I like how you color your pics Byrce. I especially like how you kept Mysterious Partner in the flesh, and you did a great job of getting that Flesh color. I probably couldn't mix colors that well.

I don't like Your first sketch as much as your second Kevin, probably cause it wasn't inked, but I really like how you have the 3 SuperRares surrounding the Godbeasts. It's almost like the Gods of Strength, Power, and Wisdom versus the Gods of Water, Fire, and Wood!

Great Job. I've been working on my single page size entry off and on all day, and I'm quite pleased with how it's turning out. I don't know how it will Scan, cause I don't want to ink it, and I don't have any coloring materials, so I'm trying to find an Ebony Pencil lying around the house so I can darken it up. I know I got one somewhere. :) I'm still sketching and filling out the details though. If I'm not finished in time, I'll either drop out or beg for an extra day or so. :p Who knows I may find some color pencils somewhere at the last minute.

Posted Image

#50 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts

Posted 28 September 2007 - 09:29 PM

I like the first one myself Kevin, it just has a action feel to it. Not that the second one isn't good, because I like that one too. Man it is good to see the art a flowing!!!!

Oh, and if you need an extra day URS I think we can manage! :)

WhiteLeo

I will never quit.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com