Theme© by Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

How Long Does the Board Have Left???

• Please log in to reply
74 replies to this topic

Poll: How Long Does the Board Have Left??? (40 member(s) have cast votes)

How Long Does the Board Have Left???

1. Forever (25 votes [62.50%])

Percentage of vote: 62.50%

2. 5 Years (5 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

3. 2 Years (3 votes [7.50%])

Percentage of vote: 7.50%

4. 1 Year (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

5. 6 Months (2 votes [5.00%])

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

6. 6 Weeks (0 votes [0.00%])

7. 6 Days (0 votes [0.00%])

8. This Poll may have added 6 days to the forums life span. (5 votes [12.50%])

Percentage of vote: 12.50%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

Original AKIA Founder Y/S*N*T

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 02:59 PM

Wow, look at all the activity this thread has gotten!

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#27 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 13 September 2006 - 03:37 PM

Wow, look at all the activity this thread has gotten!

:p My plan has come to fruition! Whether the Board last another year, or 5 years, or Forever, I know that my little poll has added at least 6 days to this forums life span. ^_^

I just hope this post doesn't kill it. ;)

Posted Image

#28 GRANDTHEFT

GRANDTHEFT

a.k.a. MISCHA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1118 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 06:26 AM

TGB is in the midst of a divorce, etc, etc.

I've come close several times to being the first guy divorced over Muscles
I don't think Jon & Doc are to far behind :D

Mischa
There is a very fine line between
"Hobby" & "Mental illness"
................................................................................
I just want what every Muscle collector want's , MORE!
................................................................................

#29 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 14 September 2006 - 08:43 AM

Then the show came around, and we not only picked up a ton of new blood from the UM show, but also a ton of people who saw UM and remembered M.U.S.C.L.E.

Bingo! That's mimoman and myself there, in a nutshell. We were both fans of the little pink wrestlers he owned (about thirteen out of what was seemingly a huge bag purchased secondhand... the rest were given away or sold or something so long ago neither of us remember them), but had no clue what they were. Since he got a silver-ish Kinnikuman sculpt from a vending machine before, we figured they were cheap nonsense toys and nothing more... until the time of Ultimate Muscle.

Why I personally don't post much at all these days are twofold - I've gotten wrapped up in doing better in school as well as the larger interests in my life, like Godzilla and Transformers; and despite the desire to do so, haven't really had the desire to go all-out as a MUSCLE collector after all. Despite it getting my attention about MUSCLE, the Ultimate Muscle cartoon never held my interest, and that was that.

One of the things that definitely hurts this fandom is one of those quirky features that endeared MUSCLE to many of us in the first place - the fact that it had no comics, cartoons or other tie-ins in the US. The only thing it had going was the rush to collect the figures, and that simply can't work on its own in comparison to character- and plot-driven franchises like Transformers, GI Joe, and even He-Man or Thundercats. And compared to modern fads? Forget it!

Sad to say, if the MUSCLE/Kinnikuman fandom is going to get any new blood, is does need support from another fandom. For whatever reason, the Beastformers stuff has been active lately, and merging the forums is not a bad idea. Hopefully that injects more life, or at least the combination of the two minifigure collectible lines will be harder to ignore or dismiss.

#30 KnuxieChan

KnuxieChan

German Beefcake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 09:19 PM

As long as you guys can put up with my fangirl-ishness, I'm staying here. =D Most of the younger fans have moved onto new fandoms, but I haven't.

I've been obsessed with UM for about 3-4 years now. I don't think it will be fading anytime soon with me. I love it too much. Plus I'm getting more in Kinnikuman. At first I wasn't too interested in the original and only liked Nisei, but I like both now.

#31 Siya the Barracuda

Siya the Barracuda

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 14 September 2006 - 10:19 PM

I certainly won't be going anywhere. :huh: This will be my second year here soon.
All my family loved UM when it's on (and my dad still quotes things with my brother and I). Speaking of which, we both still love both Isei and IIsei (if you've checked out my YouTube page lately, you'll know that :D )

I love the Sandbox, even though I don't post much in here. I try and post when I can in the Kinnikuman area as well.

I think I'm one of the rare younger fans that actually likes to collect M.U.S.C.L.E figures. My brother is envious. As is my dad. (who used to collect when he was younger as well :lol: ) I've recently started painting them. I'm going to be making some sculptures when I get paid from college soon (I'll be making them out of Sculpy if anyone's interested) so I'm hoping that might bring some creativity back to the boards. I'll put up my painted collection of M.U.S.C.L.E's soon as well.

#32 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 September 2006 - 10:19 AM

Maybe we're finally seeing the burnout? :D

#33 el midgetron

el midgetron

Squirrel

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1401 posts

Posted 15 September 2006 - 03:04 PM

Our small community of muscle collectors will without question continue. Will AKIA be the home base for future hoddy related discussion and collaboration? Only time will tell, but for one I kind of hope so.

As for myself, its been a few years since I parted with the bulk of my muscle collection and have basicaly stopped purchasing new items. However, I still enjoy keeping in the loop of whats the latest buzz in all things kinnikuman. And who knows, I could easily get the itch again someday. I think in the past 10 years the members of MPS, the yahoo group and AKIA have done a great job in documenting the Muscle toyline and its exotic relations in Japan and Italy. This group is the pioneers of M.u.s.c.l.e. collecting. Before I found the MPS I had no idea about Kinnikuman or Exogini. I had never heard of the Muscle Hauler, super rare figures or what were then mysterious figures like the lightbulb guy and the X1. Its this groups collective knowledge that going to be the foundation for future muscle collectors.

Its been ten years since the "George Washington of muscle collecting" (MPS "founding father" Darrin) created the first Muscle site. Since then (or atleast since I have been a member) we have seen the format of our exchange evolve from an email group to the forums here at AKIA. The forums are a clear improvement from the email group, in terms of format (unless you collect postcards from egypt). I hope where ever this community goes, future homes will be as accommodating.

As for the "ups n downs" of activity on the forums, it happpens. Don't be to quick to cry the sky is falling. I remember a small panic in the Yahoo group that the price of muscles was going to sky rocket due to some punk named kingstylus buying up mass quantities of muscles on ebay :rolleyes:. Last I knew you could still get them for about 50 cents each.

Someday we will all be dead and buried. But there will still be millions of unusual small creatures lurking everywhere. And there will also be new generations of collectors lurking in flea markets and internet auctions who will carry on your legacy.
Posted Image

#34 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 15 September 2006 - 04:01 PM

Someday we will all be dead and buried. But there will still be millions of unusual small creatures lurking everywhere. And there will also be new generations of collectors lurking in flea markets and internet auctions who will carry on your legacy.

LOL! :rolleyes: I can see some really old guy in about 80 years showing up at the Antique Roadshow with a shoebox full of Muscle figures. Hope I'm still alive to see that! :D

Posted Image

#35 Siya the Barracuda

Siya the Barracuda

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 293 posts

Posted 17 September 2006 - 04:04 AM

LOL! :D I can see some really old guy in about 80 years showing up at the Antique Roadshow with a shoebox full of Muscle figures. Hope I'm still alive to see that! :D

:lol: I bet it'll be one of us! :rolleyes:

#36 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:07 AM

Speaking of reviving old topics, hahaha.

#37 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 08:42 AM

Gosh! I had forgotten about this one. :D It's super funny how much your thinking can change within a year. :p But I was right in my questioning the boards lifespan in a way. The original boards didn't last much longer. :D

Posted Image

#38 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 11 October 2007 - 09:27 AM

There still aren't m(any) young MUSCLE or Battle Beast collectors. I think the youngest is Nachoz, but I'm not sure if he actually collects those two toy lines. So I'm still "concerned" about that. Who is going to replace the old guard? However, there have been several new older collectors who entered the fold: meatcutta, asator, armydentist, czarcher, etc. which is awesome! These new guys have added to the collecting community via transactions and board discussion and activities.

Personally, I think the merger was a success, and I've gotten to know a lot of collectors I otherwise wouldn't have. I also think I've noticed -- could be wrong -- but there has been a lot more discussion of "other' toylines. I think this is especially great and would love to see this continue. I imagine this board will always have its base in MUSCLE and Battle Beasts, but I think growing to formally incorporate more toy lines is a good idea -- but that's up to Jkaris and the community.

I would like to see the "Other Toys and Toy Lines" forum developed a little more. I love reading all the "I need help identifying..." threads. I just spent about an hour last night reading through about 1/8 of them.

I think that would be a great way to "hook" other toy collectors out there. If we had sub-forums actually devoted to some of these similar toylines, when collectors run Internet searches, they may hit this forum more so than they do now. Anyhow, I'm rambling!

I'm happy the board is still clearly alive and kicking, I'd love to see it grow with more and newer toylines to draw in even more younger and older collectors, and I already know I'm a toy collector for life because I've never met a keshi I didn't like. :D
Posted Image

#39 doc_moore_j

doc_moore_j

LRG Elite

• Legends
  • 4374 posts
  • Interests:Muscle men, and Kinnikuman

Posted 11 October 2007 - 09:50 AM

God im a efftard, I didnt even realize this topic is over a year old. I hate you guys.

#40 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 11:26 AM

There still aren't m(any) young MUSCLE or Battle Beast collectors. I think the youngest is Nachoz, but I'm not sure if he actually collects those two toy lines. So I'm still "concerned" about that. Who is going to replace the old guard? However, there have been several new older collectors who entered the fold: meatcutta, asator, armydentist, czarcher, etc. which is awesome! These new guys have added to the collecting community via transactions and board discussion and activities.

Personally, I think the merger was a success, and I've gotten to know a lot of collectors I otherwise wouldn't have. I also think I've noticed -- could be wrong -- but there has been a lot more discussion of "other' toylines. I think this is especially great and would love to see this continue. I imagine this board will always have its base in MUSCLE and Battle Beasts, but I think growing to formally incorporate more toy lines is a good idea -- but that's up to Jkaris and the community.

I would like to see the "Other Toys and Toy Lines" forum developed a little more. I love reading all the "I need help identifying..." threads. I just spent about an hour last night reading through about 1/8 of them.

I think that would be a great way to "hook" other toy collectors out there. If we had sub-forums actually devoted to some of these similar toylines, when collectors run Internet searches, they may hit this forum more so than they do now. Anyhow, I'm rambling!

I'm happy the board is still clearly alive and kicking, I'd love to see it grow with more and newer toylines to draw in even more younger and older collectors, and I already know I'm a toy collector for life because I've never met a keshi I didn't like.

You know I may not have had to completely Quote you Soups, but I couldn't have said the majority of that better myself, since I have no understanding of the English language. I don't think we have ever had so many new members that melded in quite so well as the ones you listed. It almost feels like they have been here forever, and their complex differences in personality really makes the boards more fun. :p

I don't know about growing to accommodate other toys, but if they are Just more Little Rubber/Plastic guys, I'm all for a new Subforum for each. But there are just so many of them. :D

Also I can't agree more. I actually look for and hope for new "What are these" topics for me to dig into! :D Right now Webslinger Spiders little Green SD mech is driving me mad!!!

And yes, it's hard to meet a Keshi that rubs you wrong. :p

And yes Doc, I believe this topic was opened back when you were in the middle of the ocean or something so don't feel bad. But I won't argue about the Efftard part. :D

Posted Image

#41 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 11:53 AM

I'm happy the board is still clearly alive and kicking, I'd love to see it grow with more and newer toylines to draw in even more younger and older collectors, and I already know I'm a toy collector for life because I've never met a keshi I didn't like. :D

When Jkaris and I started the Beastformers site, I told Jkaris it would be killer to have several small figure toylines represented. In fact, just prior to my divorce BS, I was gonna make a FOP price guide. I have since lost interest in several toy lines since then and well to be honest, I just don't have the time anymore to take on such a big task like I did w/ the BB/LB price guide, not to mention, I have sold/traded off nearly ALL my FOP since then.

I do think it would be INCREDIBLE if collectors here took a little time to do something like that for FOP, MIMP, GORMITII, etc... Hell, I think Jkaris needs his own G1, G2, and Kinnikuman/Kenishi <-SP? guides located right here and not linked. :p

I noticed as soon as there was a BB/LB guide, people actually showing off their collection photos actively, doing customs, etc...the BB/LB site exploded. Sure the Lee's 2 mag. guides helped, but, in all honesty...it was how actively members were contributing as to what made it grow and sort of put the old AKIA on the slow down. In fact, many collectors from he-man.org and AKIA came to the old Beastformers site and started collecting.

I am getting pretty tired of seeing new members be lazy and not put a photo of themselves, not put collection photos up, not put in their personal info/location, etc... I think it is pretty lame to join a forum to be inactive or not participate...why not just lurk forever. :D

I for one dig looking at collection photos as does most EVERYONE here...but, yet it is ALWAYS the same few members posting photos and taking the time. :p

Just my opinions though,
TGB

#42 Czarcher

Czarcher

Ruling Lands Far And Wide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2309 posts
  • Interests:Ultraman,
    Dragon Ball
    Kinnikuman,GPK

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:01 PM

However, there have been several new older collectors who entered the fold: meatcutta, asator, armydentist, czarcher, etc. which is awesome! These new guys have added to the collecting community via transactions and board discussion and activities.

Thanks Soups :p . I don't care what people say about you,you're OK in my book :D -j/k!
:D

...But seriously,I love the community here,and plan on being around consistantly for a long time.

Edited by Czarcher, 11 October 2007 - 01:51 PM.

#43 Personality #9

Personality #9

Suedehead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1663 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts (I migrated over from the Beastformers boards), the sciences, Baseball (Huge St. Louis Cardinals fan) and of course, women.

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:01 PM

God im a efftard, I didnt even realize this topic is over a year old.

Ditto Doc! :D

I do have to agree with the general consensus about the board members getting older. I've only been around for going on three years now (early 2005), and much in my life has changed in that time span. I'm to the understanding that the original AKIA board went up sometime in late 2002, so many of the members who were in their mid-to-late 20s when the board originally went up are now in their 30s. Along with time passing, as Jkaris already mention in a previous post, people have gotten married/divorced, had children, came out of the closet, etc. etc. etc...

I originally joined the Beastformers board when Dreamwave went bankrupt and their Transformers comic series was subsequently cancelled. I had started collecting Transformers as an adult in 1999, and became even more excited about Transformers when Dreamwave launched their comic series in 2002. I had been a huge Transformers fan since I was a kid and had always loved the original Marvel comic series, so when the Dreamwave series went down in late 2004 I turned to Battle Beasts to fill my collecting void.

I had always been a huge Battle Beasts fan, but the series got cancelled when I was very young and most of my collection came from my older brother and some of my older friends. I had made a few Battle Beast purchases on ebay throughout the years and found the Beastformers boards in mid-2004. Though I held off on joining it until early 2005. After being on the board for only about nine or 10 months, my interest in Transformers began to fade for many reasons. I had never been involved with a collecting community before, and I started to learn about "tricks of the trade" and such. After giving it some thought, I decided to sell off most of my collections, which included G1 Transformers, 80s GI Joe, old school MOTU, and much of my comic collection. Something that I would have never even contemplated a few years earlier, and the only things I kept were my Battle Beasts and Marvel Transformers comics.

Money and space became more important to me in 2005 than ever before. I had a new job lined up and had to move to get there and that proved to be the catalyst to me selling off most of my stuff. If I get into a serious relationship and/or have a kid or two in the next few years I might wind up selling off what I have left. I have flirted with the notion of selling everything, but Battle Beasts hold a special place in my heart that, at least now, I wouldn't want to give up on. But who knows what the future brings...
Formally known as Artimus Prime

#44 Personality #9

Personality #9

Suedehead

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1663 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts (I migrated over from the Beastformers boards), the sciences, Baseball (Huge St. Louis Cardinals fan) and of course, women.

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:08 PM

I am getting pretty tired of seeing new members be lazy and not put a photo of themselves, not put collection photos up, not put in their personal info/location, etc... I think it is pretty lame to join a forum to be inactive or not participate...why not just lurk forever. :D

TGB

I gotta agree with Marty on this one too, as silly as it sounds it is actually cool and helpful is people post pics of themselves and add at least some general info in their profiles. Unfortunately some of the info got lost when the boards merged and members haven't bothered to update their profiles...
Formally known as Artimus Prime

#45 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:25 PM

When Jkaris and I started the Beastformers site, I told Jkaris it would be killer to have several small figure toylines represented. In fact, just prior to my divorce BS, I was gonna make a FOP price guide. I have since lost interest in several toy lines since then and well to be honest, I just don't have the time anymore to take on such a big task like I did w/ the BB/LB price guide, not to mention, I have sold/traded off nearly ALL my FOP since then.

I do think it would be INCREDIBLE if collectors here took a little time to do something like that for FOP, MIMP, GORMITII, etc... Hell, I think Jkaris needs his own G1, G2, and Kinnikuman/Kenishi <-SP? guides located right here and not linked.

Yeah, it could be tricky incorporating other toy lines into this forum for several reasons: (1) if interest for toy line fades quickly, (2) very small, rare toy line w/ not much new info. and material being found, (3) obscure toy line with only a handful of collectors, (4) too many sub-forums "junking" the place up, (5) more maintenance for the mods, etc.

I mean, it wouldn't be feasible to start a forum for Transformers Decoys. That would be silly. But if there are Decoy collectors out there with figures to trade/sell, I'd LOVE for them to make a post here at LRG!

You, Jkaris, and others probably know better than I do, but the trend also seems to be that most toys and toy lines, if large enough, have their own dedicated forums -- He-Man, Garbage Pail Kids, GI Joe, Transformers, Star Wars, etc. So it would be silly for LRG to try and compete with those forums.

So, on the one hand, maybe some of the larger, active LRG toylines like you say FOP, MIMP, GORMITII could have a sub-forums made... but maybe even if the "Other Toys and Toylines" forum was organized a little more to "invite" collectors of other toy lines to post.

Maybe split the "Other Toys" into sub-forums for GI Joe, Star Wars, Transformers, He-man, etc., a sub-forum for FOP, MIMP, Gormitii, RBT, GPK Cheap Toys, etc. (and maybe instead of a full fledged guide for these smaller lines, even a group shot of some sculpts and a brief description directly in the forum), and a sub-forum for toy identification. I think LRG has already established itself as the best internet hub for MUSCLEs and Battle Beast, but how cool would it be if it also truly became a collectors hub for all the other, even more obscure 70's and 80's little rubber guys toy lines! (Maybe it's already reached it's potential in that regard, but maybe not.)

:D
Posted Image

#46 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:30 PM

Thanks Soups :p . I don't care what pople says about you,you're OK in my book :D

And you can tell Pople to bite me. That guy is getting on my last nerve! :D
Posted Image

#47 ironmask

ironmask

LRG Lifer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10723 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:39 PM

I canonly speak for myself... But I did have to go away for a little while, but this place is still pretty happening to me.
It's a nice little escape, and all of the toy talk really cheers me up. I'm a fairly sardonic bastitch, so that is asying something.
I hope the board doesn't go away... I like this joint.

I do think some of the decline has to do with personal issues, regarding some members... But I think as ong as we remember that it's about toys, and toys=fun... We should be okay. Just don't lose sight of the overall point.

That being said, I think you sunnuva bee-eye-itchin' a-holes are the effing shizznit!

#48 Czarcher

Czarcher

Ruling Lands Far And Wide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2309 posts
  • Interests:Ultraman,
    Dragon Ball
    Kinnikuman,GPK

Posted 11 October 2007 - 01:54 PM

Thanks Soups :blush: . I don't care what pople says about you,you're OK in my book :lol:

And you can tell Pople to bite me. That guy is getting on my last nerve! :teehee:

:crazy: Oops :notme:

#49 mrjayberry

mrjayberry

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 02:00 PM

TheGodBeast-I would post pics of myself but I'm not very techno smart and don't own a digital camera,my new job should give me the scratch to buy one then.
Also as soon as I get a digital camera and figure out how to use it I have a handful of toys to add to the identify toys threads.

As for sub-forums I like the idea but just take a look at the FoP sub-forum does anybody post in that thing?

#50 SpectreSuperSix5

SpectreSuperSix5

I am not a number. I'm a free man

• Old Guard
  • 2598 posts
  • Interests:Star Wars, M.U.S.C.L.E., Xbox 360, firearms, grilling, muscle cars, zombies, and Cartoon Network.

Posted 11 October 2007 - 02:09 PM

I am getting pretty tired of seeing new members be lazy and not put a photo of themselves, not put collection photos up, not put in their personal info/location, etc... I think it is pretty lame to join a forum to be inactive or not participate...why not just lurk forever. :teehee:

I had to move three times before I could get you to stop stalking me. I won't make that mistake again! :crazy:
Let him who hath understanding reckon the number of the beast

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com