Theme© by Fisana

Photo

BB Re-Launch For or Against.

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

Poll: For or Against (45 member(s) have cast votes)

Do like the new Mini-Mate BB line

1. Yes (17 votes [37.78%])

Percentage of vote: 37.78%

2. No (22 votes [48.89%])

Percentage of vote: 48.89%

3. I could effing care less. :) (6 votes [13.33%])

Percentage of vote: 13.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts
  • Interests:A little info on me I am a pretty big Forgotten Realms fan, I love R.A. Salvatore books. I love dragons! Lord of the Rings, Star Trek "Borgs Mostly", Battle Beasts. I love playing on the Computer, Fixing, Designing and just about everything with them. I collect Quinton Hoover Magic Cards, and artwork of him. Also some other favorite artists Greg Horn, Al Rio and Frank Cho and spending time with my wife and three daughters.

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:14 PM

Now I am just curious how many bb/lb fans are either for or against the new launch.

You got three choices. Take your pic. ;)

Edited by WhiteLeo, 18 August 2009 - 07:15 PM.

I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.

#2 asator

asator

Still lurking around

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1145 posts

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:17 PM

Way to fan the flames there, pal! ;)

As I've said before, I dont even really consider these Battle Beasts. More like Battle Beast flavored Mini-Mites.

#3 WhiteLeo

WhiteLeo

The Man, the Legend!

• Old Guard
  • 4088 posts
  • Interests:A little info on me I am a pretty big Forgotten Realms fan, I love R.A. Salvatore books. I love dragons! Lord of the Rings, Star Trek "Borgs Mostly", Battle Beasts. I love playing on the Computer, Fixing, Designing and just about everything with them. I collect Quinton Hoover Magic Cards, and artwork of him. Also some other favorite artists Greg Horn, Al Rio and Frank Cho and spending time with my wife and three daughters.

Posted 18 August 2009 - 07:23 PM

Way to fan the flames there, pal! ;)

As I've said before, I dont even really consider these Battle Beasts. More like Battle Beast flavored Mini-Mites.

hahaha, we all have opinions on our favorite line. I am just curious to see how many really like the idea of the new line verses people who don't. ;)

I will always place the mission first.
I will never accept defeat.
I will never quit.
I will never leave a fallen comrade.

#4 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 19 August 2009 - 12:44 AM

I said no. I mean Kudos to DS for trying to reinvent an old line in a way. But to me these aren't Battle Beasts, they are a new mini-mate line that happens to have robotic animals called Battle Beasts. ;) It's apparent they are trying to move away from the Hasbro/Takara roots of the franchise though. And maybe it's best that they do. ;) It's not very common for Hasbro or Takara to sell ownership of something that's for sure. Just goes to show how valuable they thought the name was.

Maybe this is just a first taste right now, and DS is planning on surprising us. Mini-Mates aren't the only thing they make, so maybe this is just a big teaser. Perhaps that's why the guy at the DS table said the figure wasn't Battle Beasts.

Posted Image

#5 Donkeykid77

Donkeykid77

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 766 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts!

Posted 19 August 2009 - 02:12 AM

I voted against the Mini-mates Battle Bozos.
UNLESS they change the appearance of the arms
and do the other beasts WAY better,
this just really, really, really SUCKS!

Really! DK ;) B) ;)
Integre navigo, sic itur ad astra.

#6 SaltLakeToyJunkee

SaltLakeToyJunkee

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2205 posts

Posted 19 August 2009 - 01:37 PM

Relaunch sucks :wub: Could have been better :rolleyes:

#7 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

just getting into knife making.

blade of the immortal is my master.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 19 August 2009 - 03:13 PM

i said no because i don't think of these as a relaunch. more like an homage to an old line. it's almost like they really just wanted the name and didn't have any intention of tying them in with the originals. if they really want to "relaunch" these, they had better make them look like battle beasts. as it stands, i'm not sure i understand the appeal of mini-mates. i do have the marvel zombie mini-mates set but that's because they're zombies. i almost never play with them and they mostly take up a tiny amount of space on my shelves.

if i encounter the demons in hell, i will kill them all..

vi veri veniversum vivus vici.

#8 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 05:31 AM

If "Little Shop of Horrors" came out in a Minimates line, or Thundarr, or The Tick, or Freakazoid, or even Kinnikuman, I'd be thrilled! (at least if they were about $2.50-$3 each-- I'm not going to pay $5 for these little buggers)

Why arn't ya'll at least smiling that someone licensed your favorite likenesses and are reimagining them as Minimates? Granted, the $15 effective price for the crock is really, really crappy... but the two packs at $5 will be about like the Marvel Superhero Squad stuff.

Edited by theorgg, 24 August 2009 - 05:32 AM.

Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

And you are here, with them, as so many specks of sand.

#9 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts
  • Interests:fishing, muslces, kinkeshi, plasmaverse, fishing, starriors, blackstar, sd gundam gashapon and keshi, all things toy related really. i also like fishing.

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 24 August 2009 - 06:49 AM

If "Little Shop of Horrors" came out in a Minimates line, or Thundarr, or The Tick, or Freakazoid, or even Kinnikuman, I'd be thrilled! (at least if they were about $2.50-$3 each-- I'm not going to pay $5 for these little buggers)

Why arn't ya'll at least smiling that someone licensed your favorite likenesses and are reimagining them as Minimates? Granted, the $15 effective price for the crock is really, really crappy... but the two packs at $5 will be about like the Marvel Superhero Squad stuff.

i'm pretty sure i've seen kinnikuman kubricks before. if they weren't kubricks, they were a rip off of kubricks.

#10 bronchuseven

bronchuseven

pentagonal

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 855 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:00 AM

Yeah, I made a thread in Sightings a week or two ago about some Kinnikuman Kubricks on eBay. Granted, they weren't identified by the seller as Kubricks, but they sure looked like them!

#11 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 24 August 2009 - 08:21 AM

i saw them somewhere else too. i can't remember the name of the site but they have all kinds of kinnikuman crap like the key covers, key chains and anything from panson works.

#12 Skitz

Skitz

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 44 posts
  • Interests:Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, Masters of the Universe, Transformers, and more old toys!

Posted 24 August 2009 - 10:10 AM

I think it's a little early still. They've only shown one figure and it's not been identified as a battle beast yet. It's just some pack in figure. Until DS puts out some packaging art that says Battle Beasts, puts up a website, or shows more figures with at least some based on originals then I wouldn't even consider this a relaunch yet.

Based on that one figure, it could've been worse. It's not a bad figure, whether or not I buy them I'd still like to see more.

#13 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 24 August 2009 - 11:56 AM

You know, right off on first impression as I said I'm not liking them. But I just had a thought, and if.. IF any of the guys from DS are reading this. If they really want these to go over well, they should at least consider using similar packaging to the vintage line. I honestly would be more into these if they showed up on 2 pack cards with at least a weapon each, and some cool art similar to the old cards. In fact I would suggest they try and get the original artist to draw up some packaging art for them. It's true that packaging helps sell product, despite what may be inside.

Cater to the collectors and memories, and I'm sure they will buy these things like candy.

Posted Image

#14 Bermuda Mohawk

Bermuda Mohawk

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 01:20 PM

I've voted yes, but need to explain that vote.

I like the fact that the Battle Beasts brand is getting a jump start. I don't however collect Minimates. Or Kubricks. Or any of the other block type figures. Except for the best of them, and I mean LEGO. The block type of figures of today just are not my thing. I even tried the Takara MyClone and only really had two that really got me to buy, and only one of those I actually like.

I know for fact that there's a huge market for these types of figures and I hope DS the best in their line. I just probably won't buy them.

Edited by Bermuda Mohawk, 24 August 2009 - 01:28 PM.

--Dave

#15 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 02:23 PM

Ya'll know that minimates are compatable with Legos, right? Their feet hook right onto the bricks as though they were intended to.

Also, I know about the Kubrics. They usually go for about $8+ each when the full set of sixteen is avaible, and since they're Japanese, it's kinda difficult to get them at a decent price.

If they were two for $5? I'd snap 'em up.
Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

And you are here, with them, as so many specks of sand.

#16 BaltanII

BaltanII

Space Ninja

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5098 posts
  • Interests:Daikaiju, Magic: The Gathering, Transformers, Kinnikuman

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:11 PM

There's some history to that. Originally, Minimates were their own figures and not compatible. But in order to have the license to make DC Minimates at first, because another company was already making blocky DC characters, they had to be incorporated into building sets instead. That was changed a while later, but the C3 style feet (with the pegholes) were retained on later figures, DC or not.

#17 misterdroid

misterdroid

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 03:18 PM

I am against it from what I have seen so far. I like minimates too. I think the problem is the Gator they are showing seems to be pretending he's NOT a block figure (sculpted head, hands, feet and armor). It makes the figure just look sort of awkward and clumsy.

#18 Bermuda Mohawk

Bermuda Mohawk

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 24 August 2009 - 07:06 PM

Ya'll know that minimates are compatable with Legos, right?

They are still not LEGO however. And not nearly as fun.
--Dave

#19 LethalWhip

LethalWhip

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 340 posts
  • Interests:Transformers, G.I.Joe, Star Wars, Battle Beasts, and Gormiti.

Posted 25 August 2009 - 05:48 AM

I agree that true LEGO's are the only block figures worth a damn. I think it may have been novel at one time for Kubricks to be LEGO-esque but that was more like when they had licensing for characters that were not getting action figure treatment. With all the advances in modern action figures like wicked sculpts and awesome articulation I don't think we need anything like Mini-mates, Kubricks, Mighty Muggs, or Bobbleheads. I think all these types of licensed "toys" are a waste of space and generally needless. Of course we are all entitled to our own opinions... I collect Gormiti and they don't have articulation making them more "figurines" than "action figures" proper, they at least have variety if nothing else.

This "Battle Beast" Mini-mate just doesn't seem to have the appropriate proportions to make it appealing to old school Battle Beasts Fans. Now if they made like 6 or 7 inch ferocious Battle Beasts action figures I might be game.

As for old school packaging, I think that sort of thing should either be packed out in low quantities with a newer packaging design being more prevalent . Or offer old school style package through online retailers or hobby shops.

#20 Strontium Dog

Strontium Dog

Duck President

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4202 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 06:01 AM

The figure is meh, Minimates are unremarkable and their proportions are entirely unsuited to Battle Beasts; it's a waste of a licence to be honest.
<span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#8b0000;">Stuff I'm selling: <strong><a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=220814">Madballs Water Squirters</a> *</strong></span> <strong><a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=154077">Gormiti</a> * <a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=148080">Miscellaneous (MIMP, FOA etc)</a></strong></span><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#808000;">Stuff I really need:</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...howtopic=235893"><strong>HERE</strong></a></span><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#008000;">Stuff I collect:</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...showtopic=44163"><strong>Gormiti</strong></a></span><br><br><span style="font-size:12px;"><span style="color:#4b0082;">Get your own easy-to-use</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...ndpost&p=264795"><strong>M.U.S.C.L.E.</strong></a> <span style="color:#4b0082;">or</span> <a href="http://www.littlerub...08"><strong>MIMP Series 1/2</strong></a> <span style="color:#4b0082;">checklists!</span></span>

#21 dankingery

dankingery

hey beardo, vote quimby!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3996 posts

videogames.

shooting.

Posted 25 August 2009 - 03:48 PM

maybe they thought they'd get all the old collectors to bite if they just threw the battle beast name on it. hopefully this is just a trial version, and they come out with something special that everyone will like.

imagine if they did a battle beasts classics line in the same vein that mattel is doing with their masters of the universe classics. just think of it, battle beasts that you can play with and their arms not only don't break off, but are actually more articulated. oh, if only i hadn't killed that leprechaun.

#22 gilgar

gilgar

Supertzar

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2706 posts
  • Interests:Heavy Metal, Hard Rock, NWOBHM, Punk, Hardcore, Thrash -->CDs, Albums, Videos, DVDs, MP3's, etc.

Toys, Toys, Toys especially vintage & old cars! HW (esp. redlines), Dealer Promos, SSPs, et. al., kinnikuman, SD kinkeshi, M.U.S.C.L.E., Battle Beasts, & anything else that catches my eye

Posted 25 August 2009 - 05:11 PM

I think it's great! I'm not all that crazy about them but who knows, maybe that will change. It's good for those that sell as it could renew interest in the line causing people to want to buy the "BB classics" which in turn means more might be found laying around in attics and such and offered for sale for those that collect. Like them or not, a new release can be nothing but positive.
Posted Image
the slime of all my yesterdays
rots in the hollow of my skull

they will pick up snakes in their hands, and if they drink any deadly thing, it will not harm themPosted Image

#23 misterdroid

misterdroid

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 75 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:07 PM

I think it's great! I'm not all that crazy about them but who knows, maybe that will change. It's good for those that sell as it could renew interest in the line causing people to want to buy the "BB classics" which in turn means more might be found laying around in attics and such and offered for sale for those that collect. Like them or not, a new release can be nothing but positive.

That is in fact the best possible scenario. However we will likely get a lot of "I'm not an expert, but these look near mint" descriptions on $24.99 Buy it Now beat up and incomplete 1st series. "RARE One armed Lion Guy BATTLE BEASTS/ MINIMATES L@@K!"... if I was an ebay scumbag I would certainly price my stuff high with the new figure coming in a $30 set of 2. That MUST mean an old one is nigh priceless.

#24 asator

asator

Still lurking around

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1145 posts

Posted 25 August 2009 - 07:55 PM

That is in fact the best possible scenario. However we will likely get a lot of "I'm not an expert, but these look near mint" descriptions on $24.99 Buy it Now beat up and incomplete 1st series. "RARE One armed Lion Guy BATTLE BEASTS/ MINIMATES L@@K!"... if I was an ebay scumbag I would certainly price my stuff high with the new figure coming in a $30 set of 2. That MUST mean an old one is nigh priceless.

Yeah, it works the complete opposite for buyers. I mean, I look for BBs on ebay and when the price is nice I try to pick up a few that I have yet to add to my collection. Now there are gonna be people who are willing to pay the outrageous price, and yay, good for the sellers, but the buyers now to either wait for the newbies to forget about them or pay jacked up prices. Really, it works both ways here as far as selling and buying goes.

#25 SaltLakeToyJunkee

SaltLakeToyJunkee

LRG Elite

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2205 posts

Posted 03 September 2009 - 06:36 AM

I am surprised so many like the nmew mini mates. Is everyone voting for the line itself? Or just the idea of a relaunch occurring? Because the new line sucks :)

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com