• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 andy53600

andy53600

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:All things retro. Mostly old consoles &amp; classic games such as Mortal Kombat, Doom, Duke Nukem, Sonic the Hedgehog, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, Aliens etc.<br /><br />And perhaps best of all............MIMPS 'n' BOGLINS!!!

Posted 29 November 2019 - 11:08 AM

Hi folks, how've y'all been? All good I hope!  :thumbsup:

I've had a question that's been buzzing around my head I meant to ask you guys for ages now. Does anybody else see the similarities between all these MIMP. The first ones are almost too obvious: Griffin & Hieracosphinx, then Bigfoot & Abominable Snowman.

Others that also look blood-related in some way are Anubis and Karnak. Manticore and Catarenha could easily be distant cousins.

These ones maybe not so much but still similar I think. Hodag is like a 4-legged version of Hobgoblin and Troll is an even uglier version of Charon.

Would love to hear from you fellas to see what you think, and let me know if you've come up with other comparisons too. :D

"Ant" 

#2 SamuraiCC

SamuraiCC

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 30 November 2019 - 02:55 PM

Hey man, yeah definitely lots of similarities, Tengu & Sebek look similar to me for some reason!

Another question I have is what's the reason behind the 2 colours that didn't come out for series 1 are more rarer in the neon colours that did come out after, neon yellow/red great beast for example.
Do you think they produced less of these hence the ratiety?

#3 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts
  • Interests:Collecting MIMP and playing Fantasy Baseball.

Posted 01 December 2019 - 08:20 AM

The going logic is that many of them were only released in certain countries (especially not the US). We don't know which ones or which countries unfortunately, though France and South Africa definitely got the rarer colors and UK probably did as well. 

My MIMP Resource site: http://mimpcollective.weebly.com

Behemoth's Video Game and MIMP YouTube Page: https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

#4 SamuraiCC

SamuraiCC

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 01 December 2019 - 08:17 PM

Cool, cheers. That would make sense.
Must make it very hard & expensive to collect, looking overseas for certain colours?

#5 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 04:27 AM

Cool, cheers. That would make sense.
Must make it very hard & expensive to collect, looking overseas for certain colours?

Yup. Thankfully I got mine before shipping prices went totally nuts. Unfortunate for any newer MIMP collectors. 

Behemoth's Video Game and MIMP YouTube Page: https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

#6 andy53600

andy53600

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts
  • Interests:All things retro. Mostly old consoles &amp; classic games such as Mortal Kombat, Doom, Duke Nukem, Sonic the Hedgehog, Golden Axe, Streets of Rage, Aliens etc.<br /><br />And perhaps best of all............MIMPS 'n' BOGLINS!!!

Posted 02 December 2019 - 12:33 PM

Hey man, yeah definitely lots of similarities, Tengu & Sebek look similar to me for some reason!

Another question I have is what's the reason behind the 2 colours that didn't come out for series 1 are more rarer in the neon colours that did come out after, neon yellow/red great beast for example.
Do you think they produced less of these hence the ratiety?

Hi, welcome to the board!  :D

Yeah you're right, Sebek and Tengu do have a similar stance. And I'd also say Jabalius is a cross-breed of Werewolf and Winged Panther (minus the wings of course).  :lol:

In regards to your other question, I think the vast majority of neons were available in UK. Some were given away as freebies via Kellogg's cereal promos e.g. neon yellow/light red Bigfoot and Harpy inside Honey Nut Loops or neon yellow/light purple Windigo inside Frosties. However that was just those three as an example.

Lets not forget about the Italian single packs. Trouble with those was you never knew which figure would be inside but guaranteed it didn't correspond with the trading card, and none of them were written in English either!  :(

I found this out many moons ago upon purchasing a couple on eBay way back in early 2005, around a year or so after first rekindling my interest in mimp. From what I remember I got a light purple Karnak with a Windigo card, and a neon yellow Kraken with a Goblin card. Weird huh?  :wacko:

#7 SamuraiCC

SamuraiCC

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 02 December 2019 - 04:12 PM

Hello mate, cheers.

I dont know who Jabalius is tbh where's that one from?

I collected as a kid & had quite a big collection but have recently started adding to my collection again but I noticed that I didn't have many rare ones :-(

I've managed to get some rare ones from ebay recently for not too much money but not cheap either considering how many variants there are to collect (I'm in UK).

I think it's easy to become addicted to collecting them all as quick as possible, which I'm trying not do as you can spend money non stop that way, so my plan is slow & steady!

Thanks for the info on rare/premium ones etc.. I've managed to get a few premiums recently which are pretty cool.

Edited by SamuraiCC, 02 December 2019 - 04:16 PM.

#8 andy53600

andy53600

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 03:45 PM

Hey man, yeah its extremely difficult to kick the mimp habit once you get started!  :p

Aye no probs matey, always happy to lend a hand and give helpful info to a fellow LRG enthusiast!  :) Regarding other rare premiums, series 1 has the most by far, whether its neons or ones from the Decipher board game and Nabisco Frosted Wheat Squares (USA). They're similar to second series colours except for green which is a lot darker or "pine" coloured.

I take it you're unaware of the unreleased figures from the third series then? For those just starting out again and getting to grips with rarer figures, I find this is a really useful page:

https://monsterinmyp...m/wiki/Series_3

There you'll find Jabalius (AKA The Beast of Gevaudan) plus many other strange myths and legends you weren't have heard of as well as the ones that were actually made into production. Now these are a LOT more expensive believe me! More often than not you'll find sellers listing their goods for sale at exuberant prices like these for instance:

https://www.ebay.com...5.c100005.m1851

https://www.ebay.com...fkAAOSwuQNd4GPo

I believe a good expression for this is known as " Pie in the sky pricing". Behemoth told me this when I showed him a link to an auction a short while ago. And he's absolutely bang on the button when it comes to stuff like this, and the fact these sellers don't even give potential buyers a choice of making an offer is frankly ridiculous.

That's enough of my ranting for now anyways! lol  :lol: But yeah, all you need to know about the mimp toy line is in the link I provided above. Oh and one more thing, if you ever start collecting them with their original packaging like I do, then this is the best page to scroll through: http://www.raumhafen...s/mimp/mimp.txt 

At least this way you'll already be aware of what's hiding inside the "secret" boxed sets before you take a sneak peek inside. Hope this helps you out on your mimp quest!  ;)

"Ant"

#9 SamuraiCC

SamuraiCC

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 04:51 PM

Cool info mate, I had heard of the unreleased monsters but never seen the pics. The Jabalius werewolf/panther dude looks pretty cool & Bash Tchelic looks similar to Charon from Super Scary's to me.
Have any of the unreleased monsters ever been found to have been made?

Series 3 are cool & I would like to collect but they're a bit too pricey for my liking & the prices of the ones you sent links to are insane.

I think after series 3 the lines went a bit down hill with the scary's & creepies what do you guys think?

#10 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 05:30 PM

There were a few attempts to recreate the lost monsters, but they went nowhere.

The only series I thought was really good in the later series was the Dinosaurs.

#11 SamuraiCC

SamuraiCC

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 05 December 2019 - 05:58 PM

Probably better off that way, leave the mystery intact.

Series 1 had large boots to fill...

Yeah I saw you had a good collection of dinosaurs in your detolfs.

#12 andy53600

andy53600

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 12:30 PM

Personally I quite like the Super Scary series, at least they stuck to myths and legends unlike the later ones. But I agree that the Dinos were very nicely made sculpts. However I think the Spinosaurus coulda been better designed to reflect the original creature itself.

And I think you mean "Charun" when you refer to the Bash Tchelik lookalike. I also reckon he's similar to Imp in a way, those 3 all certainly seem to share the same "winged with leather-skin" vibe!  :yes:

I like the fact they made T-Rex from series 1 bear more resemblance to Godzilla than the actual dinosaur. In fact, doesn't he appear in the NES game??  :huh: Will have to YouTube that later.

#13 SamuraiCC

SamuraiCC

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 13 December 2019 - 02:13 PM

Hello mate, thats the dude Charun, was a typo.
Yes definitely Imp resembles Bash Tckelic for sure. To be fair Charun & Imp are both pretty cool sculpts. They are my favourites from the SS Series for sure.

#14 andy53600

andy53600

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 15 December 2019 - 07:28 AM

Hello mate, thats the dude Charun, was a typo.
Yes definitely Imp resembles Bash Tckelic for sure. To be fair Charun & Imp are both pretty cool sculpts. They are my favourites from the SS Series for sure.

Yeah they're superbly designed figures alright!  :) In fact I quite fancied Jenny Greenteeth for some screwed up reason, although I always loved the way Lamia was rockin' that 80's style hair do! lol  :wub:

Dunno if anybody else has noticed this but quite a few of the SS series have the same or similar looking feet. These are the following sculpts; Charun, Thunderdell, Creature from the Closet, Houngan (right foot) Mad Gasser of Mattoon, Fachen, and Imp.

What's your opinion on the bugs then CC?

#15 SamuraiCC

SamuraiCC

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 01:40 PM

The bugs, I did have quite a lot of them as a kid but I sold them as I never really cared for them much but I'm sure theres lots of people that like them as they are different.

The only other series that I collect are the wrestlers, I've nearly got the full set. I didn't really see these as mimps though rather as something completely different.

What about yourself?

Edited by SamuraiCC, 17 December 2019 - 01:40 PM.

#16 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts

Posted 17 December 2019 - 04:03 PM

T-Rex did appear in the NES game. He was in the final level Monster Mountain.

#17 andy53600

andy53600

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 327 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 10:12 AM

The bugs, I did have quite a lot of them as a kid but I sold them as I never really cared for them much but I'm sure theres lots of people that like them as they are different.

The only other series that I collect are the wrestlers, I've nearly got the full set. I didn't really see these as mimps though rather as something completely different.

What about yourself?

Me? Well I've got a few mimp wrestlers still sealed in packets (inc. Tony the coach) along with other regular ones, Sebek, Minotaur and 2 Winged Panthers.

Yeah I think the bugs were a little under-rated too. Lots of bright vibrant colours with different paint applications like the Super Scaries, they're not too badly designed either. However instead of 2 shades of green, they shoulda ditched the "olive" colour and kept purple instead I reckon.

I guess matchbox were just trying to branch out a bit more in order to gain a bigger audience perhaps. But you can't beat the original myths and legends, so the first 3 series are the best to be fair!  :)

What's your opinions on the Space Aliens then?

#18 SamuraiCC

SamuraiCC

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 303 posts

Posted 22 December 2019 - 09:33 PM

Yeah the first 3 series original concepts are the best for sure, then its the wrestlers & scarys for me just as alternative collections but I haven't ever been interested in any others really including the space aliens.

I think when they started going higher & higher point monsters it kind of killed it as it wasnt really taken seriously after that.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com