7 replies to this topic

#1 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts
  • Interests:Not Telling

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:23 PM

Back in 2009, a veteran MUSCLE collector posted to his website an image of what appears to be a legit MUSCLE mold/tree made in Light Purple/Grape, the color used for the board game figures.

Attached File  purpletree.jpg   89.77K   64 downloads

The sculpts from this mold/tree are from Part 8. Interestingly, the sculpts belong to what are sorted as two trees on the MCIA: Trees 1 and 3 from Part 8. These two trees were made in the same colors, except Tree One also has Light Purple. You can see them here: http://soupie.little.../PartEight.html

So what this means is that Trees 1 and 3 are actually from one mold. However, Mattel/Bandai simply blocked or sliced off the sculpts from Tree 3 when they cast the mold in Light Purple as they only wanted 5 figures for the board game. The above piece, then, is either a color test shot or a real production piece acquired before Tree 3 could be snipped off.

The owner of this piece noted that in the top, middle of the piece, there is a spot where it appears a sculpt was "sliced" off. There are 6 sculpts in in Part 8 that were not made into MUSCLEs. It appears that one of these sculpts belonged to this tree/mold and was thus the sculpt that was removed. As to which of the 6 sculpts it was, we can't say.

Another interesting fact is that one of the sculpts on this tree has been removed by the factory. The empty space at the top between figure #138 and figure #3 used to be home to another figure, but the tree shows a perfect factory slice where the sculpt used to be.

I haven't seen better pics nor had a chance to question the owner, but I wonder if the sculpt was really sliced off post-production. I agree that a 10th sculpt should be there, but I wonder if instead of being sliced off post-production, it was actually blocked pre-production. It's tough to tell, but there does appear to less flash where the sprue should be. The absence of flashing could indicate a post-production slice, or it could suggest that the mold had been blocked, stopping the sculpt from being caste and the flash from seeping out. Also, that the slice was so perfect may indicate a pre-production blocking, rather than a post-production slice with a knife. Furthermore:

If this piece is a color test shot, why bother to slice off the non-MUSCLE sculpt? They wouldn't bother.

If it was a production piece, what are the chances that this piece was acquired after the non-MUSCLE sculpt was snipped off but before the sculpts from Tree Three were snipped off? Zero, because they all would have been snipped off at the same time.

This means that the non-MUSCLE sculpt was blocked off prior to production. It may mean all NMS were blocked off prior to production.

IMO, this strengthens the idea that the MUSCLE Super Rares such as SHA, BHS, Dr. Bombe, etc., are indeed as Joe Morrison told Veers: the MUSCLE SRs were exclusive figures given to retailers who made large purchases. Why?

One of the strongest theories for the SRs was that they were mistakes; they were figures that should have been slice off the trees post-production, but were missed and made it into retail. But since the Light Purple tree appears to indicate that the NMS were blocked pre-production, the possibility of the SRs being mistakes is zero. This also makes sense with what we know (via Veers) about Mattel's quality control being superb.

Edited by Soupie, 09 March 2014 - 08:25 AM.

Posted Image

#2 adiy009

adiy009

I live for the JIZZ!!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 401 posts

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:16 PM

Back in 2009, a veteran MUSCLE collector posted to his website an image of what appears to be a legit MUSCLE mold/tree made in Light Purple/Grape, the color used for the board game figures.

attachicon.gifpurpletree.jpg

This is af again if you question his photos he sent you what about this ?

shame it does not have a picture of the back of the figures :)

Account closed by request of adiy009 on 2018-08-15

#3 Guest_General Veers_*

Guest_General Veers_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 February 2014 - 02:30 PM

This is af again if you question his photos he sent you what about this ?

Are you on his payroll? Jesus christ.  :rolleyes:

I think many people do question it. And I think that's Soups was doing - in the healthiest, best way possible. He's trying to figure out, "What is it?"

Alex may have lied about a lot of things, but he also found a lot of things. But that's the problem. You can't cast a net over everything and say it is all a lie, nor is it all true. Because Alex wasn't truthfully about somethings, he may not be truthful about others. I shared my ideas on this thing some time ago: http://blog.uofmuscl...ega-match-game/

#4 ALLSPORTDVD

ALLSPORTDVD

Ameragu Chojin No Bosu

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1235 posts
  • Interests:Anything Kinnikuman!

Posted 28 February 2014 - 08:44 PM

No, he's just the "Deep Throat" source :)

Check out my collection pics - https://www.flickr.c...107790593@N02/?

#5 stoneyface

stoneyface

cthulhu cultist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2707 posts
  • Interests:muscle, satan cross!, cthulhu, vintage toys, biking, camping, burner community, deep house and psytrance raves.

Posted 09 March 2014 - 05:44 AM

are we to conclude the missing figures are the SR's? or am i leaping?

Want a window into my demented mind? toys, movies, cool stuff around the world @ http://cthuluconnect.blogspot.com/

DMT= insert universe into cannon, aim at brain, fire.

ユデッキー - Yudekkii are you one? サタンクロス æ°¸é ã«!(satan cross forever!)
é¢ç™½ã„! happysmoke.gif

#6 Jet-Mech

Jet-Mech

The Man on the Silver Mountain

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1531 posts
  • Interests:M.U.S.C.L.E., Monster In My Pocket, Gormiti, Trash Pack, other LRGs that may strike my fancy, and other stuff no-one else likely gives a damn about

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:45 AM

Considering the source of the item in question, I'd demand to see it in person before I conclude much of anything.

Current collecting goal: obtain all 148 Monster In My Pocket Series 1 figures in regular colors (71.62% there)

So many toys, so little money!

#7 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:55 AM

It would only be one missing sculpt, but yes. Also, it's not a leap, it's the only logical conclusion one could reach. Also, it would be more accurate to call the six sculpts, non-MUSCLE sculpts rather than Super Rares as none of them have been found in MUSCLE plastic to my knowledge.

Edited by Soupie, 09 March 2014 - 08:26 AM.

Posted Image

#8 Soupie

Soupie

@minifiguresXD

• Legends
  • 7881 posts

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:31 AM

Considering the source of the item in question, I'd demand to see it in person before I conclude much of anything.

I think skepticism of any amazing find is always warranted especially from a source that has been demonstrably dishonest. However, in this case, I think it's highly likely that the piece is genuine if only because of the fact that it shows Part 8 Trees 1 and 3 being one tree. Although both URS and I were aware of that possibility (or more generally that two trees being one tree was a possibility), I don't know if it had ever been stated on the board. It's possible that it was and it's possible that Arforbes thought of it himself, but I doubt it.

Posted Image

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com