• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 stoneyface

stoneyface

cthulhu cultist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2707 posts
  • Interests:muscle, satan cross!, cthulhu, vintage toys, biking, camping, burner community, deep house and psytrance raves.

Posted 09 March 2014 - 06:13 AM

a recent conversation with a peer reminded me of little green army men. the little plastic pieces or crap that were like a billion for a dollar or something gross. i loved these little bastards. i had tons of them. i spent hours on them. in an interesting specific way. :) i even had arms severed and painted red to be "blown apart". i played with them for a long time. when muscle men came out, i would incorporate them into my army men layouts.

so here was the layout. i had this patchwork blanket that had an underside that was tan fuzzy cotton material. i would take the blanket, tan side up and casually toss it and use how the blanket landed as terrain. i would then spend a ton of time setting up two opposing forces of army men. i ended up with little bridges from stomper sets and a stomper tank. once i laid out the armies i would take turns shooting at the other army. after a while i started using a d6 for hitting. any hit was a kill. my favorite figures were the snipers.

so here is where the muscle comes in. i would take random muscle men (always my favorite sculpts) and dropped them every so often onto the "live" battle field. here is where it gets weird. i was inadvertently using them like random kaiju!

the muscle men would drop to the field and whoever he landed on was automatically "dead" and removed to the dead pile. whatever side lost a man immediately fired on the muscle man. (i used a ruler for line of sight, i strangely "co-discovered" tabletop gaming ;) ). once the one side fired, the other side stopped their combat to focused on the muscle man. this caused a temporary cease fire between the original army. once the both sides had reached some admittedly random and arbitrary hit count the muscleman, he would be killed. the whole time he was being fired on, the muscle man would be rampaging across my "landscape". hilarious i know :p  once he was killed the army men would go back to fighting each other until another random muscle man appearance!

admittedly i loved the muscle toys more. lol the muscle man would frequently demolish the tank!

reflecting back on it, i find it curious that the muscle men were such agents of chaotic energy and destruction. having now watched the kinnikuman cartoons in english this fact makes me giggle a bit. the similarities between kaiju and muscle way way waaaaaay before i knew such a thing existed was strange to remember. my friend and i both had a laugh over the table top gaming aspect of the game. he had a very similar game he played with different kinds of toys. this was a type of play i reserved for those rainy afternoons where i was actually "stuck" inside. hard to imagine these days, but i remember reluctantly staying inside and not usually voluntarily. anyway, this was the type of game i would make up for myself that i could play by myself. usually muscle men were a two person at the playground type of play. but that is another story. ;) this was just one alternative. :) 

Want a window into my demented mind? toys, movies, cool stuff around the world @ http://cthuluconnect.blogspot.com/

DMT= insert universe into cannon, aim at brain, fire.

ユデッキー - Yudekkii are you one? サタンクロス æ°¸é ã«!(satan cross forever!)
é¢ç™½ã„! happysmoke.gif

#2 TwoHeadedBoy

TwoHeadedBoy

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 832 posts
  • Interests:Monster In My Pocket, Thingz That Go Bump In The Night, Mighty Max, TMNT, Boglins, cheap and nasty monsters of any sort...

Posted 10 March 2014 - 02:31 AM

Fun story there!

Me and my cousin used to re-enact Monty Python & The Holy Grail using Mini Boglins. Funny how the rain can affect creativity like that.

My comics blog - mostly lesser-known UK stuff from the 1980s and 1990s
Collection Piccies!
Identify these toys?

WANT/NEED! Warmonger (from Mighty Max's Skull Mountain), will trade for Alien Magic!

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com