81 replies to this topic

#1 hollywdbri

hollywdbri

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:35 PM

At my local Target in Cupertino, CA - SLUG Zombies Series 2-4, are on clearance. 3 packs are $2.79 and Coffins are $6.99. I haven't seen Xmas Zombies and I doubt I will ever see them there. Not looking good for the line, or maybe they are just making space. This particular Target is really stingy on the clearance so I'm thinking making space for more exciting Xmas toys.

P.S. I need the whole line of Xmas Zombies :(

-HWB

#2 jason76basin

jason76basin

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 09:55 PM

jkars has sets, and i have sets, but his will be cheaper than mine. i'm letttting them go for cost, but jkaris got them cheaper so i'd hit him up first, if he sells out, hit me up then

#3 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:01 PM

There might still be some at my target, if so id just charge you cost plus shipping. they are clearanced as well

#4 imperfecz

imperfecz

Götter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4302 posts
  • Interests:stuff n stuff

Posted 15 December 2012 - 10:02 PM

THey had Christmas on the pegs here tonight when I went out.

#5 89cpe

89cpe

sweep the leg

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1510 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:25 AM

They also had them at my target but just a bunch of the same two three packs for series 2 and the xmas ones. Series 3 they had the same two three packs and the coffin. By same two 3 packs I mean each series had two different 3 packs but a lot of each one.

#6 SlugAlien

SlugAlien

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 01:00 AM

Same here, Fresno, CA.
Is SLUG canceled?

#7 Jackson

Jackson

Mondo Brawndo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:57 AM

looks like the ship may be sinking

#8 ComradeCuttlefish

ComradeCuttlefish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 08:47 AM

SLUG Zombies do kind of suck. Compare them to other new little rubber guys-type toys, like Trash Pack. Why would you want to pay almost $2 per neon green zombie? What kid is going to say "hey, mom/dad, please buy these weird looking zombies" at that price?

Kids don't like these things. Toys that you can purchase at mass retailers like Target have to appeal primarily to kids and secondarily to adult collectors. SLUG Zombies seemed to do ok with adults, but terribly with kids, and that's why it's failing. Trash Pack, on the other hand--not only do I personally think these are really cool--but they appeal very much to both kids and adults. That's why they continue to do very well.

When the SLUG Zombie case got cancelled, we should have seen this coming for the rest of the line. Too bad, because I knew many of you enjoyed them.

Edited by ComradeCuttlefish, 16 December 2012 - 08:49 AM.

#9 Jackson

Jackson

Mondo Brawndo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1073 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:08 AM

Actually I think lots of kids would have dug these if they had known they existed. The line did seem to cater more to adults with all the 80's parody figures. I think the poor exposure and distribution, more than anything else, is what made this line fail.

Edited by Jackson, 16 December 2012 - 09:09 AM.

#10 ComradeCuttlefish

ComradeCuttlefish

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1574 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:14 AM

Actually I think lots of kids would have dug these if they had known they existed. The line did seem to cater more to adults with all the 80's parody figures. I think the poor exposure and distribution, more than anything else, is what made this line fail.

I disagree, for one primary reason. SLUG Zombies, in some form, were available everywhere. Yes, some people had major difficulty finding later series, like the Christmas figures, BUT no one had trouble at least finding SOME Slug Zombies. So, while overall distribution was bad, some Slug Zombies made it everywhere. It's probably not accurate or even fair to blame it on distribution, because if those first series 1 and series 2 figures that were available had sold better, stores would have ordered the later series as well.

In other words, it's NOT just a failure of poor distribution, because 1) they were available in some form everywhere, and 2) the poor availability of later series was due to the initial poor sales of the early series.

Secondly, marketing. This was never going to be a line with mass marketing. It was only a minor line that Jakks Pacific hoped would sell based on those first impressions kids had when they saw them on the shelves in Target and elsewhere. Other toys with little or no marketing, such as Trash Pack, are able to sell very well based primarily on their shelf appeal. SLUG Zombies never had this, because the toys just aren't that great.

Edited by ComradeCuttlefish, 16 December 2012 - 09:17 AM.

#11 iwao

iwao

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1481 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:40 AM

My 3 year-old plays with his SLUG Zombies more than any other toy and my 9 year-old likes them too. I can't speak for how well they did with all kids, but I've got two kids that want them all. Kids don't need to understand the parody aspect to think they are cool figures. My kids only recognize Shaun of the Dead and Ash.

Distribution for series 1 did suck. I never saw S1 3 packs or 12 packs in my area, and the price of the blind single packs was a ripoff. $9.99 for a 12 pack isn't bad. I'm sure the limited distribution of series 1 turned off adult collectors that weren't able to find them and weren't willing to pay ebay prices.

If they had a commercial and ran it during shows like Adventure Time, Regular Show, or even The Walking Dead, they would've reached kids and adults that would be interested in these.

#12 seekingxar

seekingxar

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 679 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:26 AM

My son (he's 13) loves these figures too. I think kids did like these but maybe they were packaged wrong. Kids like buying random packs, the fun is in trying to get a figure you really want from a pack. Not just looking at a pack and seeing the figures, short lived fun. If these would have been blind packaged, say 2 zombies for 1.99-2.99, kids would have bought them.

#13 walker13.1

walker13.1

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4950 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:48 AM

The Toys R Us in town has series 4 12 packs. If you need any let me know. You'll pay just cost and shipping. If you can get the 3 packs for series four or know someone who has them let me know.

#14 jason76basin

jason76basin

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 12:29 PM

My son (he's 13) loves these figures too. I think kids did like these but maybe they were packaged wrong. Kids like buying random packs, the fun is in trying to get a figure you really want from a pack. Not just looking at a pack and seeing the figures, short lived fun. If these would have been blind packaged, say 2 zombies for 1.99-2.99, kids would have bought them.

to piggyback on this post......i dont have kids, but do they enjoy blind packs more than packs you can see what your getting? i would think kids would want entire sets, as opposed to possibly not getting an entire set.....but when i was a kid i never experienced "blind packaging" that i can remember so i can't speak from my own experiences

#15 koppenschevelle

koppenschevelle

Delta Chameleon

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1109 posts
  • Interests:Battle Beasts, Beast Saga, Battle Beast minmates, Armorvors, Hot Sauce, Tea, Pearl Jam, Films, Camers, Animals, Chameleons and lizards

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:17 PM

to piggyback on this post......i dont have kids, but do they enjoy blind packs more than packs you can see what your getting? i would think kids would want entire sets, as opposed to possibly not getting an entire set.....but when i was a kid i never experienced "blind packaging" that i can remember so i can't speak from my own experiences

For myself, as a kid, it never even occurred to me to try and get a full set. I only knew their were specific "cool" ones that I wanted, and I wanted more. I think blind packing is very popular with both kids and adults right now. Just about every mini-figure line that I see in the stores right now, that are popular with both kids and adults seem to be blind packed, whether it's legos, trash pack, gogos, mega bloks figures, etc...

I wish SLUGS would have done better. I loved the feel of the line. It made me nostalgic for MIMP, and was packaged much the same way. I thought the figures were sculpted really well. And there were some fantastic sculpts with really interesting ideas, and clever nods to 80s pop culture. But for what it is, we still got 4 series of about 15 figures each. Not too bad. Got quite a bit to fill a small shelf, and pull out to have as part of the halloween decorations. Still would have loved to get more, but I am happy with what we got.

#16 jason76basin

jason76basin

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:23 PM

i expect they'll still finish the line out, but after that i don't think we'll have the aliens/monsters.

#17 McCTXToys

McCTXToys

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 735 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:25 PM

Will go check Target out tomorrow. Thanks for the heads-up!

#18 Ericnilla

Ericnilla

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9150 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 05:29 PM

Im not a huge fan of them, but I like them and have a handful of them. Its sad that they might be on their way out, it was nice seeing new mono-LRG figs in the toy isle.

Both my nephews and young cousins love the Slug Zombies. They dont care for the Trash Pack or Squinkies at all. Although, they do love the Star Wars Battle Pods. and on a side note, a week or so ago when I was Christmas shopping I saw two boys in the toy isle looking at the Slug Zombies and they were surprised by them, So I can totally see a lot of kids that would like them, not even know they existed. I introduced them to all my Nephew and Cousins, They hardly ever go to the store with their parents.

#19 iwao

iwao

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1481 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 06:02 PM

a week or so ago when I was Christmas shopping I saw two boys in the toy isle looking at the Slug Zombies and they were surprised by them, So I can totally see a lot of kids that would like them, not even know they existed. I introduced them to all my Nephew and Cousins, They hardly ever go to the store with their parents.

I can't see a toy line becoming popular with kids without a single commercial if it isn't connected to a popular license, TV show, or video game. Mono-colored minis are too easy to pass by in a toy aisle if you can't make a connection to something you've seen before when you spot them.

Oh well. I hope they at least finish off the next couple series of Zombies that were planned.

#20 TNT138

TNT138

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 07:41 PM

Blind packaging is what kept me buying trading cards in the 90s and it's what got me to buy those marvel and DC figures that came in the little ball. I can't stand the Trash pack and Squinkee stuff, but I'm not the target audience. I really enjoyed this line, but essentially I was supporting it so I could have monsters and aliens. There wasn't a lot of variety to the line because they were all essentially humans (and a monkeyman and a dog I know). The price was a little steep. That's why I started with a 12 pack. You got more for less.

#21 JetEyeNight

JetEyeNight

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 71 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:04 PM

They are on clearance at my target... bummer. I think they could use this as a learning experience and apply it to Slug Monsters/Aliens. Maybe they should have started with Slug Aliens or Monsters first as kids dig those more than zombies... oh well. I still need a Series 4 12-pack. I'm kinda wondering if they are holding them in the back room until the other stuff sells out...

#22 krazedmadman

krazedmadman

Fist of the Death Star

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 201 posts
  • Interests:Finding lost toys destined to the heap and putting them in the hands of the deserving.

Posted 16 December 2012 - 09:08 PM

I would love to get a set of X-mas slugs, my stores here didn't get them so if anyone can sell me a set plz PM me.

Thanks

P.S my targets have them on markdown as well, 2.78 and 6.98.

Edited by krazedmadman, 16 December 2012 - 09:09 PM.

Wastelander

#23 jason76basin

jason76basin

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 823 posts

Posted 16 December 2012 - 11:42 PM

krazed i got full sets of christmas, you can have them at my cost......which was on sale, not the clearance price. so i think they were 3.59/pack instead of the 2.78/pack clearance price. just holler if you want them.............or anybody else holler. i'd buy from jkaris first, as he has christmas sets at the clearance cost(i think)

#24 TNT138

TNT138

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 17 December 2012 - 11:36 AM

I went back to Target this morning and I noticed that the ENTIRE AISLE was clearanced. Spiderman toys, Dr Dredful, Trash packs, squinkees, those weird square brick things, etc... So, take what you will from this info.

Edited by TNT138, 17 December 2012 - 07:07 PM.

#25 TNT138

TNT138

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:32 AM

Has anyone seen the Clearance prices drop yet or are they holding at 30%? I would figure they should drop to 50% before too long.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com