• Please log in to reply
54 replies to this topic

#1 optimusdrizzt

optimusdrizzt

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Playing addicting video games, anime, MUSCLE, megaman, snarf from Thundercats, guts,and Battle Beasts. Really any smaller figure from the 80s/90s.

Posted 15 April 2015 - 08:04 PM

Thought I would share this. I spent the last three hours testing all my NES games to make sure they work before I sell them. I am more tired from blowing, injecting/ejecting games, and laying on the floor than I am from working out! Glad to say that all my games work like a charm (need allot of Q-tips and rubbing alcohol to get them to work thought). All my fingers are super sore from pulling on those ridged games too. Thank goodness for laser discs.

Anyhow I am glad we got rid of the cartridge system because it blows!

Sorry last vent- I played Mike Tyson's punch out and got to like the third guy and on the 9 count of him being down the game randomly restarted. That happening convinced me that selling the dam thing is the way to go!

Edited by optimusdrizzt, 15 April 2015 - 08:05 PM.

Always Looking for Battle Beasts PM if you got extras!!!!

#2 Aikola

Aikola

Main Offender

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1564 posts

Posted 15 April 2015 - 10:23 PM

That's funny because I prefer cartridge over disc, they just seem more rigid and not so vulnerable to my kids.
Aikola: Collecting figures that no-one else cares about since 2007.
"Punk Rock: A loud, fast and deliberately offensive style of rock music"

My Trade List
My Little Army
Aikola's Mini Boglin Colour Archive

#3 8bitblood

8bitblood

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 03:59 AM

My original NES still works. I've owned it since 1985 and it works perfectly (provided you're not putting dirty games into your system), that's 30 years. You take care of your stuff and don't put peanut butter and jelly in the carts and it'll take care of you. 

You're lucky if you get 4 years out of the newer systems. I know someone that had to buy three PS3's. 

If your game restarted it's something you did, not the system. Cram your new system in the moldy attic for 25 years and lets see if a few q-tips will fix it... and don't even get me started on game freezes and hacks on the newer systems. 

Gamestop customer: "Sir! My thirty year old system isn't running like my new PS4, what the problem?!" 

Gamestop employee: "Your expectations?" 

Edited by 8bitblood, 16 April 2015 - 04:05 AM.

#4 Sixthwizard

Sixthwizard

6thWizard

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1977 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 06:46 AM

Blowing out Nes games is the beginning of the end.  

The very first time you blow in your game (who knew- being so young) you spray spit all over the little board.  The spit degrades that thing.......Kind of like getting salt on your car and it rusts.

#5 bigazzhead

bigazzhead

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1604 posts
  • Interests:Mini Figure interests:
    Monster in my Pocket
    Megaman/Rockman
    Dragon Ball
    Dragon Quest
    Old Nintendo
    Gegege no Kitaro
    general monster keshi
    Ghostbusters
    Zombie related stuff
    and anything cool. (yeah I know pretty vague)

Posted 16 April 2015 - 06:54 AM

yeah I went through 2 xbox 360's... and my super nintendo survived being submerged in a flood. I kinda like cartridge systems, just wish they weren't so bulky. Maybe that's why I focused more on my hand held systems when I was younger.

#6 optimusdrizzt

optimusdrizzt

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts
  • Interests:Playing addicting video games, anime, MUSCLE, megaman, snarf from Thundercats, guts,and Battle Beasts. Really any smaller figure from the 80s/90s.

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:02 AM

I always put my shirt over cartridge before I blow! I got some good luck out of my new gen stuff. I still have my original xbox and it works with no problems and my 360  (1st set of pre orders) only had a ring once and it was under warranty and the new one last until I sold it 2 weeks ago. Although I went through 7 controllers on that thing from all the halo and CODs. Those dang thumb stick for sprinting get worn out fast. Even my Xbox One controller is starting to give out.

#7 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 3561 posts
  • Interests:Digital Media, Travel, LRGs
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:03 AM

Blowing out Nes games is the beginning of the end.  

yep, despite the fact that everyone seems to have done it as a kid (seriously, it's like it was a tip from Nintendo Power or something) for the most part the blowing thing does absolutely nothing to help. Most of the time the reason a game wouldn't play is because of a physical contact issue with the cartridge chip/system chassis, not dust (which is the only thing blowing/alcohol/q-tips would possibly resolve). If the visible chip on a cartridge looks clean, it's probably clean. If it looks all scuffed up or chipped that's another issue.

It's also worth noting that you can just turn the system on after sliding the cart in to play a game, and if the contacts are aligned properly it'll work. This way you can adjust it as necessary and/or switch games faster. The final press down and lock in place step is unnecessary and often dislodged the contacts from the pressure and wears out the spring on your system. This is why often you could just press a game up and down repeatedly until it worked.

Edited by bachamn, 16 April 2015 - 07:06 AM.

#8 thenerdieststore

thenerdieststore

Mimp total =

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1235 posts
  • Interests:Monster in my pocket

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:04 AM

I prefer my older systems to the modern ones too. I don't like the 360 and ps3 nearly as much as my genesis and 64 for example. They are just more sturdy and can survive a lot of things. The newer systems are just so paper thing. I barely want to play my systems because of all those stupid technical issues they have.

"THOSE WHO LAY THEIR EYES ON A GUNDAM, SHALL NOT LIVE TO TELL ABOUT IT. Those was the orders I was given."

101_5358_zps74e6dfc3.jpg

#9 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts
  • Interests:Battle Tribes, Boba Fett and an odd mish-mash of everything else

Posted 16 April 2015 - 07:45 AM

I sold my entire SNES collection a couple years ago. It's honestly a waiting game until the entire thing just stops working due to time. Not to mention the intense amount of space you need to store everything.

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#10 optimusdrizzt

optimusdrizzt

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 536 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 08:44 AM

BTW I would trade my system and 25+ games if anyone is interested just PM me for the details of what I have! It is on craigslist now and in two weeks will go to ebay.

Thought about keeping it because I have hauled it all over the USA, but after last night getting everything working consistently and replacing that 72 pin connector and knowing I am going home to clean up the controllers I rather trade it for Battle Beast swag.

#11 8bitblood

8bitblood

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:34 AM

I sold my entire SNES collection a couple years ago. It's honestly a waiting game until the entire thing just stops working due to time. Not to mention the intense amount of space you need to store everything.

a waiting game? an SNES wont die if it's kept clean, your SNES was what 20 years old, and it was still chugging,  how long do you plan on waiting? 

the newer systems are the ones with the waiting game starting the day you buy them. 

the controllers for these systems still can't be beat. 

Edited by 8bitblood, 16 April 2015 - 09:36 AM.

#12 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts
  • Interests:Collecting MIMP and playing Fantasy Baseball.

Posted 16 April 2015 - 09:55 AM

My Super Nintendo worked for 15 years, but the second player controller port finally died. Gave it to a friend who only wanted it to play Mario games. Got a SNES off Ebay and am back to playing all the old stuff again. 

My MIMP Resource site: http://mimpcollective.weebly.com

Behemoth's Video Game and MIMP YouTube Page: https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

#13 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 10:17 AM

a waiting game? an SNES wont die if it's kept clean, your SNES was what 20 years old, and it was still chugging,  how long do you plan on waiting? 

the newer systems are the ones with the waiting game starting the day you buy them. 

My PC is built to last for the next several years and what small amount of digital games that I do buy I don't need to store or clean or anything like that.

Outside of nostalgia, there is zero reason to own any cartridge game as you can emulate them all on a computer. You can even get a USB controller for most of the older consoles. This saves space, money, and certainly a lot of effort needed to maintain the games/consoles.

<p><a href='http://www.littlerub...0&st=0&p=640656'><span style="color:rgb(255,0,0);">Check out my collection!</span></a></p>
<p> </p>
<p><a href='https://www.instagra...heloveofplastic'><span style="color:#990000;">Follow me on Instagram!</span></a></p>
<p>

#14 redjarojam

redjarojam

Taco Beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 10:44 AM

My PC is built to last for the next several years and what small amount of digital games that I do buy I don't need to store or clean or anything like that.

Outside of nostalgia, there is zero reason to own any cartridge game as you can emulate them all on a computer. You can even get a USB controller for most of the older consoles. This saves space, money, and certainly a lot of effort needed to maintain the games/consoles.

Yeah, That is why my toy collection is just photos of toys in a file on my desktop. Owning toys takes up too much of the space on my shelves dedicated to video game carts.

#15 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:08 AM

Yeah, That is why my toy collection is just photos of toys in a file on my desktop. Owning toys takes up too much of the space on my shelves dedicated to video game carts.

Toys require a physical presence to be enjoyed/admired/whatever it is you do with them. A picture of a toy is not the same as the entire game on your computer. Video games can be enjoyed digitally with significantly less effort and no physical space being taken up. Some people want the physical item, but it is not a necessity to enjoy the item in any capacity.

<p> </p>
<p>

#16 Sixthwizard

Sixthwizard

6thWizard

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1977 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:21 AM

An arcade cabinet with a regular old tv turn sideways and about 600 bucks can get you every game from Arcade, Nes, Atari, CVision, Snes, Genesis, Sega Master System, etc....

#17 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:26 AM

I never could get a controller to work on the computer (tried 3 different ones). I would love to emulate a few of the games that I can't get though.

Behemoth's Video Game and MIMP YouTube Page: https://www.youtube....w_as=subscriber

#18 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 11:28 AM

I never could get a controller to work on the computer (tried 3 different ones). I would love to emulate a few of the games that I can't get though.

In my defense I've never used one of the USB "vintage" controllers, I just know of their availability. I assume some must work or they wouldn't be all over the web.

And also on the note of not working, to my knowledge there is not a functioning copy of Lufia II in existence. There is a specific part in the game that is broken.

Edited by Draznar, 16 April 2015 - 11:29 AM.

<p> </p>
<p>

#19 Behemoth

Behemoth

Lord of Behemoths

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2918 posts

Posted 16 April 2015 - 12:00 PM

In my defense I've never used one of the USB "vintage" controllers, I just know of their availability. I assume some must work or they wouldn't be all over the web.

And also on the note of not working, to my knowledge there is not a functioning copy of Lufia II in existence. There is a specific part in the game that is broken.

Yeah it could be my technological inefficiency. But I prefer the old SNES controller anyway. It feels like heaven in my hands. 

#20 redjarojam

redjarojam

Taco Beast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 917 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:41 AM

Toys require a physical presence to be enjoyed/admired/whatever it is you do with them. A picture of a toy is not the same as the entire game on your computer. Video games can be enjoyed digitally with significantly less effort and no physical space being taken up. Some people want the physical item, but it is not a necessity to enjoy the item in any capacity.

I was just messing around. Seemed funny someone on a toy collecting forum wouldn't understand how people find interest in collecting vintage game cartridges. You mention enjoying the physical presence of a figure and don't think people can derive enjoyment from the physical aspect of game playing? The hunt for a rare game cartridge with no marks, crisp sticker and in working condition is much like the hunt for a rare battle beast/laser beast figure with both arms, weapon and rub yeah?  Several SNES games get into the $200+ range depending on having box, booklet or sealed.

An arcade cabinet with a regular old tv turn sideways and about 600 bucks can get you every game from Arcade, Nes, Atari, CVision, Snes, Genesis, Sega Master System, etc....

My buddy built a cabinet where we work. used the tools in off hours and built the whole thing out of MDF. I painted the sides for him haha.

Yeah it could be my technological inefficiency. But I prefer the old SNES controller anyway. It feels like heaven in my hands. 

My local vintage game shop sells theses controllers from retrolink. I asked the guy about them the other day he said they are pretty good but I haven't gotten one for myself yet.

1b4c_classic_console_usb_controllers_ret

01.jpg

#21 bachamn

bachamn

ビーストフォーマー オタク

• Beastformers Archaeology
  • 3561 posts
  • Interests:Digital Media, Travel, LRGs
    ビーストフォーマー
    レーザービースト
    ビーストサーガ

Posted 17 April 2015 - 06:56 AM

man, I hopped on the emulator train back in the 90's. To put that into perspective, somewhere in my basement I have a Hudson Soft SNES multi-tap with the cord spliced into a parallel port and AC adapter. I think that was one of my first eBay purchases. I was thrilled when they started making USB knockoff controllers. Now I have a single SNES controller, and a one that has two ports for PS2 Dual-Shock

Edited by bachamn, 17 April 2015 - 06:57 AM.

#22 TheRiddler

TheRiddler

????????????

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2357 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 07:48 AM

I have a vintage Asteroids cabinet, but cant find anyone to fix it for me...i get sound but no video....

#23 Draznar

Draznar

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5060 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:34 AM

I was just messing around. Seemed funny someone on a toy collecting forum wouldn't understand how people find interest in collecting vintage game cartridges. You mention enjoying the physical presence of a figure and don't think people can derive enjoyment from the physical aspect of game playing? The hunt for a rare game cartridge with no marks, crisp sticker and in working condition is much like the hunt for a rare battle beast/laser beast figure with both arms, weapon and rub yeah?  Several SNES games get into the $200+ range depending on having box, booklet or sealed.

I honestly have never been able to fathom why people spend that kind of cash on cartridge games, even when I did have a collection of them. I apply the same logic to toys.

If there was a way to replicate figures and I could get them for cheaper/free and not have them take up space, but still give me the same satisfaction, I would be all over that like white on rice. It just isn't a possibility when it comes to action figures. When I like a video game, I don't put it on display, I play it. I can do that with a digital version and get the entire experience.

Comparing these two things is like comparing apples to oranges. The only thing they have in common is that people like to collect them.

<p> </p>
<p>

#24 TheRiddler

TheRiddler

????????????

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2357 posts

Posted 17 April 2015 - 08:39 AM

There is literally a collector for everything....

#25 8bitblood

8bitblood

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 21 April 2015 - 03:51 PM

I honestly have never been able to fathom why people spend that kind of cash on cartridge games, even when I did have a collection of them. I apply the same logic to toys.

If there was a way to replicate figures and I could get them for cheaper/free and not have them take up space, but still give me the same satisfaction, I would be all over that like white on rice. It just isn't a possibility when it comes to action figures. When I like a video game, I don't put it on display, I play it. I can do that with a digital version and get the entire experience.

Comparing these two things is like comparing apples to oranges. The only thing they have in common is that people like to collect them.

Sorry to say but that's an extremely myopic thing to say. You collect action figures but cant fathom why someone would collect their favorite games?

Wow.. A nerd bully? That's not apples and oranges at all. That's one guy thinking what he does is ok because he does it and thinks he's better than others because they do something else that he doesn't like. That's a hipster.

Would have expected better from a "council member."

Well guess what, my nintendo collection is worth more than your battle beasts, they're way cooler to look at, and way more fun.

Oh yeah, and Boba Fett is terrible, was eaten by a monster that cant even move, and is only liked at all because of other elitist hipsters.

That doesn't feel good at all does it?

Edited by 8bitblood, 21 April 2015 - 03:58 PM.

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com