Theme© by Fisana

Photo
- - - - -

MEGAMAN Retro-Roto Series by Jazwares,inc.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 20 March 2006 - 01:16 PM

I stumbled upon this line at my local Big Lots yesterday, and well, I just had to have them! As a diehard MegaMan Fanatic, I was quite excited to find such classic looking figures! I have been waiting so long for something like this to come along! I was really disappointed when Bandai dropped their US release MegaMan line in 95'.

Summary: The MegaMan Retro-Roto Series consists of 6 figures designed in the Retro style of the original Nes games Booklet Art. The figures are RotoCast PVC, and the figures consist of Megaman, Full Charge Megaman, Protoman, Elecman, Shadowman, and Gutsman.
RetroCrew

Packaging: 2of5 The packaging is basic Bubble attached to Backer Card, nothing special. If anything it's lacking, but I gave it a 2 because of the original in game character images on the front of each pack. Also the figures are well secured in their plastic prisons. They are fit snuggly in place, and are quite hard to remove compared to solid figures since they are soft.

Sculpt: 4of5 As stated earlier these figures are PVC RotoCast. Their design is simply wonderful! They are simple and well thought out. They have limited detail, but that's what makes them so classic! There are no painted on details and everything that there is to paint are sculpted out. Each figure is about 5 to 7 inches each.

PaintJob: 3of5 I wanted to give them a 4 so bad! However as on par as the colors are, there is the occasional outside the line, but other than that they are simply great in the paint department. As stated in the sculpt section above, every detail that these figures have are painted to exact specifications. Usually on a cheaper line like these some minor details are excluded, but even less noticeable details such as on the backs of the figures are painted.
CrewBacks

Articulation: 2of5 Each Figure has only 6 points of articulation, but are very limited. They move at the neck, waist, shoulders hands, and feet. Move the feet to far together or apart and they will not stand up. Arms move in an across the face swimming pattern, so it's really pointless to move their arms above chest level. Since they are Rotocast they have plastic ball joints at their knees, heads, and hands. The ball joints on their feet and hands are pretty small, so sometimes a limb may pop off, but they do stay together okay.

Accessories: 3of5 Being that they are Rotocast the need for accessories is kind of useless. However the Initial 5 figures each come with a piece of Full Charge Megaman. Upon collection of all 5 pieces a 6th figure is formed. This makes it a little more interesting. I would have hated to buy a separate Megaman repaint.
RetroCrew2

Smell: 2.5of5 Those of us in the Muscle community know how important smell is for a figure, so I added this. In fact if you notice anything upon opening these guys it will be the smell. They smell like paint. That's it. Don't be sniffing them too much either cause it might make you sick.

Playability: 1of5 Simply put, these are not exactly sandbox material. I wouldn't recommend buying these for your kids. Though they are durable, they wouldn't stay together long, and if your kids managed to pull them completely apart, they would lose interest because it's so hard to get them back together. Not so much the ball joints, but the shoulder and waist joints are part of the rotocast.

Collectibility: 4of5 These figures are the size of an average action figure except for their bulkiness. If your a Diehard Megaman fan like me then these are a must have for your collection! I really think they are awesome, and that fact alone outweighs any negatives for me. It's not like I'd play with them anyways......Well, at least not much. :(

Cost/Value: Depends on where you get them. I got them for the sweet price of only $5 bucks each! However I've seen them online for $6 to $10 each. So be picky on where you buy them. Even at Jazwares official site store they cost you a whopping $10 bucks solid + shipping I'm sure! These are well worth $5 to $6 bucks each, considering that a tiny little Star Wars figure cost the same or more.

Staying Power: This was Nates idea, and I like it. Being that there are only 5 figs to the set at the moment and this was an impulse buy, I wouldn't get into this line unless you really love Megaman. As said earlier Bandai dropped their last US line before it reached it's potential (as well as a good cartoon). Jazwares already has a second wave planned for summer though, so if they have more faith than Bandai did maybe this line will go places. I hope! The second line will consist of Dr.Wily, Heatman, Snakeman, Woodman, and Iceman. Whether there will be more or any extras is unknown at the moment. Hopefully it won't get sacked before the second wave, and hopefully there will be at least 20 figures by the time they do scrap this wonderful series.

With the above in mind here are each figures individual score.

Megaman: 3of5 Megaman looks just like he did in the good old days, but let’s be honest. Who likes Megaman more than the villains? Well designed and right on par! Comes with Full Charge Megamans Right arm.
Packaged
Loose

Gutsman: 5of5 This mammoth of a Robot Master is the biggest of the line! Unlike the other flunkies the ball joints on his arms and legs are HUGE! This is the sturdiest of the lot, as well as the heaviest, easily dwarfing the 5 and a half-inch figures at over 7 INCHES! And talk about shoulder width! Comes with Full Charges Left Arm.
Packaged
Loose

Shadowman: 4of5 Not exactly one of my favorite Bosses from the Megaman series, but his paint job secures him the second highest rating. Comes with Full Charge’s Head.
Packaged
Loose

Elecman: 3of5 He’s okay. Well done paint job, but not one of my favorites. Comes with Full Charge’s Chest.
Packaged
Loose

Protoman: 3.5of5 Protoman is one of my more favorite characters. He would have gotten a flat 5 if he had his shield. Comes with Full Charge’s Legs.
Packaged
Loose

Full Charge Megaman: 2of5 Pretty lame attempt, but he’s not a total loss. Very irritating to put together. I advise using warm water and some dish washing liquid to pop him together without any back sass.
Pieces
Whole

Well that’s it! I’ll add to this list when Wave two hits shelves!

Edited by Universal Ruler Supreme, 20 March 2006 - 01:20 PM.

Posted Image

#2 Nachoz God of Metal

Nachoz God of Metal

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 20 March 2006 - 02:11 PM

I have all of these too. They are pretty cool.

#3 THEGODBEAST

THEGODBEAST

Y/S*N*T

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5376 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 12:54 PM

I might be able to add some kewl pre production proto photos to this post soon!!!

I was contacted by one of the Jazzwares' toy designers and we are working a trade for 3 of the Halloween Deco Retro Vinyl Mega Man figures that were unproduced!!! :huh: We will see when they arrive. :ph34r:

This is a nifty set and he said there is a wave 2 coming out this fall/winter, so keep your eyes peeled. ;)

TGB

#4 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts
  • Interests:Getting stuff as cheap as possible...........and food.<br /><br />^ Not much has changed in the past few years.

Posted 22 March 2006 - 01:14 PM

Sweet! Keep us posted! Maybe you can make some injection versions of them.

Posted Image

#5 Nachoz God of Metal

Nachoz God of Metal

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1311 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 04:44 PM

These are the ones pictured on the back of the package, right?

#6 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 07:21 PM

The figures on the backs are the first wave, then it says coming soon below Woodsman and Iceman, both of which should be in the second Wave.

Also here is a pic of what the wave 2 figs will look like. Iceman isn't pictured, but will be in there too. Personally, I'm not a fan of Wily. I would have much preffered another Robot Master. :huh:

Posted Image

#7 Drtooth

Drtooth

germaphobe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 22 April 2006 - 10:40 AM

Wiley seems out of place. Everything else looks very Japanese, but he looks kinda American Squash and Stretch. I was GOING to buy up some of these, but they sold like Hotcakes. I wanted Gutsman most of all. I especially like the Heatman figure.
Posted Image

#8 Universal Ruler Supreme

Universal Ruler Supreme

普遍的な主権者

• Legends
  • 5641 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 11:48 AM

Guess what I saw at TRU today. Yep, Jazwares has just re-released the first wave again. No build a figure this time. Of course we have heard news of them supposedly planning this since last year. I think it's simply ridiculous. They have been pretty much sitting on the Megaman license for 4 years, with all their lines for the license having great promise.

So hopefully they stop screwing around, and actually get us something new for this line out. I think it's yet again doomed to utter failure. They didn't get any orders in with the big dogs like Walmart or TRU last time, so who knows. It doesn't help that they are now twice what they cost back in '06 either. No Build a Bot this time around.

It's like dejavu, but more disappointing. :D They even had Iceman and Woodman pictured on the backer with Coming Soon. :D They should have put them in the first wave, that way the folks who have been waiting for new figs of this line would have had an incentive to buy a few figures at least. Now they have to rely on people who don't already have the figures to buy them.

Hmmm... don't see alot of DrTooth or Nachoz around anymore.

Posted Image

#9 Czarcher

Czarcher

Ruling Lands Far And Wide

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2309 posts
  • Interests:Ultraman,
    Dragon Ball
    Kinnikuman,GPK

Posted 25 September 2010 - 11:53 AM

Cool URS ! Let's see some pics! :D