50 replies to this topic

#1 Matto

Matto

D:<

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1849 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 02:01 PM

Ladies and Gents, I have some awesome news. A couple of weeks ago, I sent a letter to Funi about UM DVDs (and mentioned our forum, I couldn't forget that) and the replyer gave this message (contents are in bold):

Thank you for your email. I am glad to hear you are a fan of Ultimate Muscle. There is an Ultimate Muscle DVD scheduled to release later this year. Unfortunately, I do not have any specific dates, but please continue to check www.funimation.com for the latest news and updates.

Could this be what we've been hoping for? Will we finally see more DVDs and/or a DVD box set? I know I should take a wait and see approch, but dammit, I want *OFFICAL* DVDs, not bootlegs with subtitles written by someone who is high on drugs!

However, please note that there is no specific date yet. That could change, but damn, this is GREAT NEWS!

And to those nameless fans who b*tch about Funi not replying, they won't pay attention to stupid badly-written rants. Being nice goes far.
Mantaro gasped as Kid pulled him closer, reaching for his mask.

#2 Chibibee

Chibibee

Diva

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, anime/manga (especially Kinnikuman Nisei/Ultimate Muscle)...that's it, I think. XD

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:30 PM

Uh....nuh...sffftttbuh.

<rabid fangirl translation> If this is true, it'd be around the fall I bet. Since 4Kids is replaying some of the series, it'd ba a good way to get people into it. And if this is true, it would also be the final brick into me making a Funimation shrine of love.</rabid fangirl translation>

*mouth foams at the very THOUGHT*

#3 mimoman

mimoman

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 780 posts

Posted 19 February 2008 - 07:37 PM

If it's affordable and has subs, I'll buy it.

#4 Idol Choujin Showtime

Idol Choujin Showtime

Nezumi-Otoko for President!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts (Jeet Kune Do, Tai Chi, Aikido), manga and anime, drawing mangas, Kurosawa Akira and Woody Allen and Stanley Kubrick films, Japanese food and culture, breathing, Mystery Science Theater 3000, political humor, voice actors, flying by farting, wrestling, and the music of Frank Zappa

Posted 19 February 2008 - 09:20 PM

I never b*tch about Funi not replying to e-mails... I b*tch about them continuously thinking that Chris Sabat and Chuck Huber deserve work and that no dub is complete without them.
Currently Reading: One Piece, Hajime no Ippo, Detective Conan, Toriko, Beelzebub, Bakuman., Nurarihyon no Mago, Kyoukai no Rinne, History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi, GTO: Shonan 14 Days, Naruto, Bleach, Mysterious Girlfriend X, Rurouni Kenshin, Shamo, Real, BØY, and (whenever I can) KochiKame
Posted Image
Gouri Daisuke, 1952~2010
"Washi ga Otokojuku jukuchou... Edajima Heihachi de aru!!!!!"

#5 Matto

Matto

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1849 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 07:16 AM

@ Idol: The b*tching wasn't really directed at anyone here in particular (though there were one or two people that did moan and complain, but that was a long time ago), but some fandoms need to realize that acting like a massive pr*ck in e-mails never helps.

But this is quite shocking. Besides having an UM box-set (there is no offical annoucement YET), I would love a DVD set along with Cardcaptor Sakura. Funi has recently aqquired the rights to it, so hopefully I see some DVDs of that soon. Not the sh*tty Nelvana "dub" (I use the word 'dub' loosely) that amazingly still shows up in some HMV stores.

Yes, I know UM and CCS are unrelated, but Chibibee will know what I'm talking about when I say this: We Canadians ruin anime alot, it seems. =( (but those crappy toy animes don't count) <FYI: This doesn't count toward the former series, that being UM.>

#6 KnuxieChan

KnuxieChan

German Beefcake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts

Posted 22 February 2008 - 07:28 AM

All I can say is is: Unf.

About dang time. I personally don't care if it has the subs or not though.

#7 xxJaegersDollxx

xxJaegersDollxx

Ya Tu Sabes <3

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Interests:Kinnikuman is my favorite anime of all time! (^^)v~

Posted 24 February 2008 - 10:05 AM

This is awesome!!!! I so can't wait!!! I hope it does happen sometime soon!! *Runs around and screams for joy*

"If you continue fighting close matches without a complete KKD, Mantarto... you're probably going to die." ~Ataru Kinnikuman vol. 9

#8 Blackbeard D. Kuma

Blackbeard D. Kuma

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 06 March 2008 - 09:35 PM

This is really great news, but how exactly is Funimation going to release DVD's of Ultimate Muscle? Doesn't 4kids still have the license to it? Maybe it has expired? Also, does this mean that Funimation will redub this series for their DVD releases? I really hope that this is one of their newest anime acquisitions. You know what would also be really awesome, although it is quite unlikely, is if Funimation could get the rights to both the original Kinnikuman and Scramble for the Throne animes. Then we could finally see the full story of the old generation which is a must for any kinnkuman fan.

Edited by Blackbeard D. Kuma, 06 March 2008 - 09:38 PM.

#9 KnuxieChan

KnuxieChan

German Beefcake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts

Posted 07 March 2008 - 10:25 AM

I doubt they're going to be redubbing it. Funimation is the company that released the first DVD years ago, and I believe they've released other 4Kids anime and shows as well. (Sonic X, TMNT..)

#10 jmac

jmac

watashi wa calderon des

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:sports, cartoons, history, politics, toys and good food.

Posted 25 March 2008 - 10:10 PM

does anyone remember how far the series got on fox box. i dont know if i can say this but i used to record it w/o commercials and i have up to the point where scarface beats terry kid. i dont really like some of the voices and the opening song is so lame "these bad boys from outer space here to terrorize the human race"

#11 Matto

Matto

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1849 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 06:41 AM

@ jmac: We got up to 77 episodes, ending with Kid Muscle beating Kevin Mask (LAME OUTCOME).

And the voices aren't that bad. For a dub, 4kids did a good job (GASP) on capturing their personallities well.

#12 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:12 AM

Season 1 US: Eps 1-51
Season 2 US: Eps 52-77

Season 1 JP: Eps 1-26
Season 2 JP: Eps 27-51
Season 3 JP: Eps 52-?? (I think they stopped airing it before the end of the series.)

Nisei was out in Japan and pretty much bombed there. 4Kids imported it and instead of giving us the regular 26 episode season, they ran 2 episodes every Saturday for a while and we got both Japanese seasons in one season. The show did so well here, that they went back to Toei and commissioned 26 more episodes. So episodes 52-77 were shown here first. The series ended here and Toei decided to redub the US episodes and show them in Japan, where it again bombed.

#13 Scumdogg

Scumdogg

Aspiring Bigman/Handshake Enthusiast

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2414 posts
  • Interests:toys, comics, heavy lifting, cooking, art, tattoos, getting into adventures, growing a beard then shaving it off then growing it back just to mess with people who can't

Posted 26 March 2008 - 08:51 AM

So i was browsing around Netflix the other day and noticed they've got two volumes of Ultimate Muscle listed but not yet available for rental. Seems to further confirm that a release is imminent.

Hopefully these discs start over at the beginning of the series, i never got the last one that was released...
Shove my words down your eye-holes!
A Nerd Occurrence
The Bloodsprayer

#14 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 26 March 2008 - 09:23 AM

does anyone remember how far the series got on fox box. i dont know if i can say this but i used to record it w/o commercials and i have up to the point where scarface beats terry kid. i dont really like some of the voices and the opening song is so lame "these bad boys from outer space here to terrorize the human race"

Actually, "They're Bad Boys from Outer Space (UL-TI-MATE Mus-SCLE!) Here to Bodyslam the Human Race! (UL-Ti-MATE Mus-SCLE!) Wrestlers race to our defence with stregnth and speed and... Flatulance? (Ul-Ti-Mate MUS-cle! Ul-Ti-Mate MUS-cle!)."

I personally LOVED the theme song.

They changed a few things to things that just didn't make sense, like the infamous 'broken hip' of Minch, but overall it was STILL very entertaining.
Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

And you are here, with them, as so many specks of sand.

#15 Idol Choujin Showtime

Idol Choujin Showtime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts (Jeet Kune Do, Tai Chi, Aikido), manga and anime, drawing mangas, Kurosawa Akira and Woody Allen and Stanley Kubrick films, Japanese food and culture, breathing, Mystery Science Theater 3000, political humor, voice actors, flying by farting, wrestling, and the music of Frank Zappa

Posted 27 March 2008 - 06:44 AM

Bleh, "Hustle Muscle" was tons better...

ズガガンガガンガン!(Do the muscle)
ズババンババンバン!(Hustle muscle)
Go! Go! Fight!!

遥か広がる戦いの荒野へ
おまえは今 地図も持たず歩き出したばかり
その地平には数々のドラマと
嵐を呼ぶ敵の牙が待ち受けているだろう

傷ついて倒れそうなときには
遠い日の記憶胸に抱きしめて

Wow Wow Wow, すべては分厚いMuscle
おまえのカラダのその奥流れているのさ 愛さえ友情さえ
叫び返せHustle Muscle
おまえの背にかかる期待に
キン肉マンⅡ世よ、時代はGet You!

いつかおまえもその眼に焼き付ける
男たちが守り抜いた正義という星を
ほんの小さな光りのその陰に
おまえは見る 真の誇り 伝説の重みを

寂しさが溢れそうなときには
やがて来る奇跡たちに微笑んで

Wow Wow Wow, あしたへつなげるMuscle
鍛えたココロの底まで受け止めるのさ 夢ごと感動ごと
つかみ返せHustle Muscle
勇気という握り拳で
キン肉マンⅡ世よ、勝利はJust now!

傷ついて倒れそうなときには
遠い日の記憶胸に抱きしめて

Wow Wow Wow, すべては分厚いMuscle
おまえのカラダのその奥流れているのさ 愛さえ友情さえ
叫び返せHustle Muscle
おまえの背にかかる期待に
キン肉マンⅡ世よ、時代はGet You!

ズガガンガガンガン!(Do the muscle)
ズババンババンバン!(Hustle muscle)
Go! Go! Fight!!
Currently Reading: One Piece, Hajime no Ippo, Detective Conan, Toriko, Beelzebub, Bakuman., Nurarihyon no Mago, Kyoukai no Rinne, History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi, GTO: Shonan 14 Days, Naruto, Bleach, Mysterious Girlfriend X, Rurouni Kenshin, Shamo, Real, BØY, and (whenever I can) KochiKame
Posted Image
Gouri Daisuke, 1952~2010

#16 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 27 March 2008 - 07:06 AM

Well, it is pretty...

...but what the hell does it say?

:huh:

EDIT: In all serious, the 80's rock theme is pretty cool, though the "DUNT DUNT DUNT, DUNT-DUNT!" beat of "Ul-Ti-Mate MUS-scle" hooks me like a mackrel.

Edited by theorgg, 27 March 2008 - 07:07 AM.

Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

And you are here, with them, as so many specks of sand.

#17 Reccoom Kaboom

Reccoom Kaboom

I'm back! And I brought my back with me!

• Legends
  • 917 posts
  • Interests:Taking old toys and making them new again.
    Staying motivated artisticly, creatively.
    Keeping my XboX360 addiction under controll.
    Putting my surplus M.U.S.C.L.E.s in trades of other toylines.
    Talking like Tom Waits more often.
    Getting that Y/S N*T tattooed big n' bold accross my back.
    Having my dentist build me some new permanent fangs.

Posted 27 March 2008 - 04:05 PM

hmmm..... Living in the dallas/ ft worth area, I'm only about 45 minutes or so from the funimation studios. I might have to go check in person....
Posted Image

#18 jmac

jmac

watashi wa calderon des

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:sports, cartoons, history, politics, toys and good food.

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:10 AM

yeah thats right body slam the human race... i mean its kinda funny i guess. is that like a cowboy singing it i wish they woulda had a more epic song you know.

#19 Blackbeard D. Kuma

Blackbeard D. Kuma

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 07:00 AM

Ultimate Muscle should be redubbed and restored to its original entirety by Funimation; for this would give the Kinnikuman franchise some justice in North America. 4kids was one of the worst possible companies to have acquired the license to Ultimate Muscle. All of their dubs were absolutely atrocious and Ultimate Muscle was no exception.

#20 Idol Choujin Showtime

Idol Choujin Showtime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 08:57 AM

Amen, brother!! Although... what with their "wishy-washy integrity" as I like to call it, there's not much of a guarantee that Funi would do a better job...
Posted Image
Gouri Daisuke, 1952~2010

#21 Blackbeard D. Kuma

Blackbeard D. Kuma

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 11:09 AM

Amen, brother!! Although... what with their "wishy-washy integrity" as I like to call it, there's not much of a guarantee that Funi would do a better job...

Sorry, but what do you mean exactly about their "wishy-washy integrity"? Also, I think that it is definitely guaranteed that Funimation would do a far better job than 4kids. The original music would be left intact and the dialogue would be a lot more true to the original so we wouldn't get a whole bunch of stupid puns. Furthermore, in terms of voice direction and casting, it's not even a contest. Funimation undoubtedly has the superior voice cast and I'm sure that they would put the voice actors to excellent use in Ultimate Muscle. No offense, but making 4kids comparable to Funimation in terms of quality is really silly. Anyone can see that Funimation is the better company.

#22 Idol Choujin Showtime

Idol Choujin Showtime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 12:02 PM

By wishy-washy integrity I am referring to how Funi will do an okay job on Blue Gender but then immdediatley after botch up Detective Conan... or how they do a splendid job on Fullmetal Alchemist but then make Crayon Shin-chan geared completely towards adults (even going as far as changing Action Mask into Action bastitch... seriously, wtf?)... or how they're DVD subtitles are the best you can find, yet their voice casting decisions are disappointing 90% of the time...

I should've worded that better though, I meant to say "there's no guarantee that Funi would do that much of a better job"... they didn't keep the original music to DBZ until a few years after they finished dubbing it, and One Piece is already off to a rocky start with Chris "almost never knows the right voice to use" Sabat as Zoro...

Funi has what it takes to be a great anime dubbing company, if they'd only A.) choose whether or not they care about preserving the original dialogue or if they want to make it seem like they created the show, and B.) stopped hiring Chris Sabat and Chuck Huber... that's all my opinion though, based on watching countless Funi-licensed series in both english and Japanese...
Posted Image
Gouri Daisuke, 1952~2010

#23 Blackbeard D. Kuma

Blackbeard D. Kuma

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 01:06 PM

I see what you mean Idol Choujin Showtime. Funimation has had their share of inconsistencies in the past with the quality of their dubs. Personally, I think that their worst dub would have to be DragonBall Z, but even then I don't think that it is too bad. My biggest problems with it were how they removed the whole original score and put in their own music and the major inaccuracies in dialogue. I still can't believe some of the terrible dialogue that was given to Freeza, let alone the major disappointment in his voice.

The statement you made about their voice casting decisions being disappointing 90% of the time is really just your opinion though. I'll admit that I also don't like some of their voice casting decisions, *cough*freeza*cough*, but as of lately I have found many of their casting directions to be excellent. So far I am finding their One Piece dub to be absolutely amazing and I would even go so far as to say that some of the character's voices are better than their Japanese counterparts. The dialogue in One Piece also really adheres to the original, so I don't have any complaints.
I take it you don't like Chris Sabat as a voice actor do you?

#24 Matto

Matto

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1849 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 01:09 PM

A redub regardless of who is chosen will suit me fine. I just want SUBS, and proper ones.

#25 Idol Choujin Showtime

Idol Choujin Showtime

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 01:21 PM

Well, of course it's my opinion. Everything I say is and I never claim otherwise. The only time Chris Sabat didn't make me want to rip my ears off and feed them to Don Patchi was when he played Alex Louid Armstrong in FMA. I will have to respectfully disagree about the One Piece cast, by the way. They're not that bad, Bellamay's english voice was even a dead ringer for Wataru takagi (his original voice), but the "rocky start" I was referring to was Zoro sounding like a Yakuza thug, Usopp sounding too calm (at least in the few episode I saw he did, I lost my cable before I could watch more), Chopper sounding too much like a girl, and Luffy.... well, it'll be hard for me to like any english dub actor as Luffy, because I love Mayumi Tanaka's performance so much. There's also the whole "let's continue to call Ace 'Trace' even though that makes no sense" thing...

Yes, I'm really in to voice actors, and I think, although he has talent, Chris Sabat completely lacks the ability to tell which character should have which voice, which is almost as important in voice acting as range is.
Posted Image
Gouri Daisuke, 1952~2010

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com