• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#26 Chibibee

Chibibee

Diva

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 444 posts
  • Interests:Drawing, anime/manga (especially Kinnikuman Nisei/Ultimate Muscle)...that's it, I think. XD

Posted 29 March 2008 - 01:34 PM

Wishy-Washy as Funimation's dubs may be, I'd take them over 4Kid's so-called "best" work any day of the year. xP

And while I would LOVE a redub of the show, I hold the 4Kids dub in some kinda-high regard. I think I've put it alongside the Samurai Pizza Cats dub; really nowhere CLOSE to the original, but still entertaining and captured my interest enough to search for the real deal.

It'd be easy to make fun of Chris Sabat being in EVERYTHING, but then someone else might come along and say the same for Scott McNeil. I love my Canadian, plaid-wearing cowboy too much to play that card. But yeah, Chris' version of Zoro got better after a few episodes. He toned down the Piccolo-ness alot, and it's actually come to suit the guy. Several of the OP VA's had to grow into the character's, in fact, but I couldn't imagine anyone else being in the dub.

Chris' Tarzan yell was WAY high on the win-o-meter too. He earned my support with that one.

#27 Blackbeard D. Kuma

Blackbeard D. Kuma

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 405 posts

Posted 29 March 2008 - 02:46 PM

Well, of course it's my opinion. Everything I say is and I never claim otherwise. The only time Chris Sabat didn't make me want to rip my ears off and feed them to Don Patchi was when he played Alex Louid Armstrong in FMA. I will have to respectfully disagree about the One Piece cast, by the way. They're not that bad, Bellamay's english voice was even a dead ringer for Wataru takagi (his original voice), but the "rocky start" I was referring to was Zoro sounding like a Yakuza thug, Usopp sounding too calm (at least in the few episode I saw he did, I lost my cable before I could watch more), Chopper sounding too much like a girl, and Luffy.... well, it'll be hard for me to like any english dub actor as Luffy, because I love Mayumi Tanaka's performance so much. There's also the whole "let's continue to call Ace 'Trace' even though that makes no sense" thing...

I personally feel that the voices for characters like Mihawk, Doflamingo, and Whitebeard are better than the Japanese ones because they sound like how they really would sound. Mihawk sounds very calm, intelligent, and has a slight accent which is very fitting. Doflamingo sounds like a young arrogant punk, which he is. Whitebeard has the voice of a snobby and grumpy old man which couldn't be any better to me. This is just my opinion though, for I really love the Japanese ones as well. I think the reason why you, and many others for that matter, are so adamant about the Japanese cast being superior is because you are so used to hearing those voices. People have to understand that the Japanese voice actors have had a much longer time to get accustomed and used to their roles, while the Funimation voice actors are still relatively new. Give them more time and maybe your opinion will change later on. Also, Ace being called Trace is not Funimation's fault; 4kids is the company responsible for making those stupid name changes. Funimation is only calling Ace "Trace" in the TV broadcast version so that people who used to watch the 4kids version don't get confused. It is only for consistency purposes. However, when Funimation gets around to distributing their uncut DVD releases, Ace will be called "Ace" and many other name changes will be changed back to their original names.

@Chibibee - Thanks a lot for posting up Kinnikuman Nisei episodes on Daily Motion. I have watched all of your uploaded episodes and I am very grateful for your efforts. By the way, do you plan on uploading episodes 3 - 13 and 25 onward?

#28 Idol Choujin Showtime

Idol Choujin Showtime

Nezumi-Otoko for President!!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Interests:Martial Arts (Jeet Kune Do, Tai Chi, Aikido), manga and anime, drawing mangas, Kurosawa Akira and Woody Allen and Stanley Kubrick films, Japanese food and culture, breathing, Mystery Science Theater 3000, political humor, voice actors, flying by farting, wrestling, and the music of Frank Zappa

Posted 29 March 2008 - 06:56 PM

I think the reason why you, and many others for that matter, are so adamant about the Japanese cast being superior is because you are so used to hearing those voices. People have to understand that the Japanese voice actors have had a much longer time to get accustomed and used to their roles, while the Funimation voice actors are still relatively new. Give them more time and maybe your opinion will change later on.

I won't claim that has nothing to do with it, but it prob'ly has less to do with it than you think. As much as I love voice acting (and I do, trust me, ever since I learned Homer Simpson, Krusty the Clown, and Earthworm Jim were all voiced by the same guy), when it comes to anime and manga, I prefer manga more. I pay more attention to manga, and it matters a lot more to me than anime versions. I've had moments where I thought "this seiyuu would be perfect for this character", and then disappointed when they weren't casted for the role. When I first watched the OP anime, long before it was dubbed, I had read up to about the Drum Island Arc. So when I first heard Mayumi Tanaka as Luffy, my thoughts were "Oh... My... God.... That is SO Luffy's voice!!! That's the exact voice I pictured for him!!" So hearing a voice more suitable for Naruto or Bat (from Fist of the North Star) in the english version, it's much more that I'm disappointed they didn't capture the spirit of the character as well then it is disappointing that they didn't sound like Tanaka. And that's happened with a lot of anime characters (Kinnikuman, Bo-Bobo, Kakashi, to name a few).

Conversely, when I first heard DBZ in Japanese, after being so used to the Funi dub, I thought "Why the hell does Goku sound like's 12!? Why does Piccolo sound like he's not a mountain of muscle with no emotion other than 'I used to be evil, grr'!? Why does Vegeta sound... normal?" After awhile, it dawned on me that Piccolo and Vegeta weren't necessarly supposed to sound the way Sabat voiced them, and I warmed up to the Japanese version (which set me down the path I'm on today of typically preferring the Japanese version). It was the same with YuYu Hakusho. I was so used to Kuwabara sounding like... whatever Sabat was going for, and Hiei sounding like a smarmy little bee-eye-itch, that hearing them in Japanese made me actually like the series more (and Shigeru Chiba (Kuwabara) and Nobuyuki Hiyama (Hiei) became 2 of my fav voice actors, period... and still are).

I didn't know about them planning to use the original names for the DVD release. It doesn't surprise me (like I said, wishy-washy integrity), but where did you hear this exactly (I haven't looked into this stuff in awhile, so I might not know something that's common knowledge).

Chibibee - Scott McNeil is the man!!.... and Chaos is Rinko's father!!
Currently Reading: One Piece, Hajime no Ippo, Detective Conan, Toriko, Beelzebub, Bakuman., Nurarihyon no Mago, Kyoukai no Rinne, History's Strongest Disciple Kenichi, GTO: Shonan 14 Days, Naruto, Bleach, Mysterious Girlfriend X, Rurouni Kenshin, Shamo, Real, BØY, and (whenever I can) KochiKame
Posted Image
Gouri Daisuke, 1952~2010
"Washi ga Otokojuku jukuchou... Edajima Heihachi de aru!!!!!"

#29 KnuxieChan

KnuxieChan

German Beefcake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 11:21 AM

*pouts and crosses arms* I still like the 4Kids dub. I can't see the characters with any other voices. D= And what Chibi Bee said about it being like Samurai Pizza Cats is very true. That's probably why I enjoy it so much.

They could've done a lot worse with it. I think they handled it pretty well, for being a 4Kids anime. Especially since even the dub doesn't seem entirely for kids..

I WILL admit, I do like the original BGM music and opening better. (Heheh, the guy that composes the Nisei music does another one of my favorite animes.)

Edited by KnuxieChan, 02 April 2008 - 11:28 AM.

#30 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 12:28 PM

Especially since even the dub doesn't seem entirely for kids..

Terry Kenyon: How would you like a three-hundred pound walrus pounding your prostate!?

(Yes. Direct quote from the Hydrazoa episode. No joke.)

Edited by theorgg, 02 April 2008 - 12:28 PM.

Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

And you are here, with them, as so many specks of sand.

#31 Matto

Matto

D:<

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1849 posts

Posted 02 April 2008 - 01:26 PM

That one cannot top the golf joke.

"Roxanne can come. So can her friends. We'll have a foursome...in golf." (<- Is this how it was said?)

And let's not forget the Poison Six Pack outfits. Oh wait, people hate the anime because of that arc, despite the fact we finally got to see some tag team matches. Seriously, why do people hate that arc? It had :), doesn't that count?
Mantaro gasped as Kid pulled him closer, reaching for his mask.

#32 TheOrgg

TheOrgg

亢李 傻 操

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4942 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 06:26 AM

That one cannot top the golf joke.

"Roxanne can come. So can her friends. We'll have a foursome...in golf." (<- Is this how it was said?)

And let's not forget the Poison Six Pack outfits. Oh wait, people hate the anime because of that arc, despite the fact we finally got to see some tag team matches. Seriously, why do people hate that arc? It had ;), doesn't that count?

"We can have a foursome..."

...for golf."

:mcmadd: Also hilarious. However, I still think the "Walrus pounding your prostate" joke is more raunchy; Granted, they both involve homosexual references (golf- three girls in a foursome, Walrus- insinuating homosexual sex with a walrus). However, you find the one that is 'wronger' for your gender funnier, and I find the one that's 'wronger' for my gender funnier.

...but I do agree. Both quotes are funnier than half the stuff on Adult Swim.

...and I think the reason people dislike the P6Pack is the 'finale' episode against Baron Maximillion. They tried to make him Kid's Buffaloman, but he was just a dillweed. They made him this 'ubervillian,' and it just didn't work. The whole vibe of 'pack everything in we can' didn't help it, either. I mean, EVERYBODY pops up for that ONE episode! (Granted, they did that in the Kid vs Kevin match, too, but they spread it out over five episodes-- not one. It flowed more naturally that way.)
Our glorious Milky Way is a tiny, infinitesimal speck of sand in this vast, incomprehensible universe. And somewhere in that Milky Way is our own solar system, less than one billionth of that speck of sand that is the Milky Way. And then there is our planet Earth, one hundred trillionth of that one billionth of that one speck of sand. And on this planet Earth there is DEV-0, an insignificant blemish with a lifespan too short to measure when placed in infinite time.

And you are here, with them, as so many specks of sand.

#33 KnuxieChan

KnuxieChan

German Beefcake

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1731 posts

Posted 03 April 2008 - 04:03 PM

They got lazy with the PSP saga, I think. Since they just borrowed animation from the second movie.

.. And holycrap. I did NOT ever hear that Walrus prostate quote before. That is hilarious. XD

#34 Matto

Matto

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1849 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 09:09 AM

I know I shouldn't be bumping an old thread, but I'm going to send another e-mail to FUNi about the DVD(s) and if they could enlighten us with more infomation (dub/subs/release).

Wish me luck!

#35 jmac

jmac

watashi wa calderon des

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 66 posts
  • Interests:sports, cartoons, history, politics, toys and good food.

Posted 02 May 2008 - 02:29 PM

good f'n luck

#36 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 04:43 PM

Impatient people might want to PM me. :woot:

#37 Kevin Mayle

Kevin Mayle

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1001 posts

Posted 02 May 2008 - 06:00 PM

I know I shouldn't be bumping an old thread

Why not?

#38 Matto

Matto

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1849 posts

Posted 10 May 2008 - 07:45 AM

@ Kevin Mayle: Because bumping old threads is considered one of the most annoying things to do in a forum. That's why I tend to avoid it... though creating new topics with the same topic is even more annoying.

Now then, I got another e-mail from the same person from FUNi. Sadly, I didn't get the infomation, and only told me to check the website for future news. I have two guesses: 1. They are keeping tight-lipped and they might be checking out our lovely forum as I mentioned in our first e-mail or 2. 4kids isn't letting them speak since they (tragically) still have the rights to the series.

4kids handles DVD production of their series, while FUNi just releases them. I hope to god that 4kids releases the DVD around the same time as the reruns that are supposedly suppose to re-air in August.

#39 Drtooth

Drtooth

germaphobe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2052 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:53 AM

Funny little thing there. I can't say I doubt this is gonna happen, cuz something tells me they're gonna at least try (4Kids doesn't really have much going for them, except TMNT and maybe DinoKing and Chaotic at the moment).

What Gets me is just a couple months ago there was talk of new Shaman King DVD box sets (or at least those 2 disk sets).

And while I would tend to buy a subbed DVD than a Dub only DVD, UM is one of the rare occassions I actually would buy it either way. In fact, I'd say that it was 4Kids's best dub (since, let's face it, Toei animation ruined the plot line further than any dub company could come up with, as far as deviating from the manga severely).
Posted Image

#40 Kaba Kaba Fruit

Kaba Kaba Fruit

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 07:17 PM

I've heard that the reason why 4Kids is releasing series sets for Ultimate Muscle and Shaman King this August is because the company's rights to those series are set to expire this fall. I'm guessing 4Kids is trying to get their biggest properties out to the kid fans of the shows before they can't release them anymore.

If this is indeed true, then that will make the 4Kids dubs of Shaman King and Ultimate Muscle official collectors items.
Did you eat your fruit today?

#41 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22184 posts

Posted 15 May 2008 - 08:25 PM

If 4Kids releases UM on DVD, I will be ecstatic. I have VHS masters of episodes 1-51 they sent me years ago.

#42 Evil Lord Proteus

Evil Lord Proteus

Akuma Chojin

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1084 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 01:31 PM

If 4Kids releases UM on DVD, I will be ecstatic. I have VHS masters of episodes 1-51 they sent me years ago.

Didnt the animation studio that did Nisei/Ultimate Muscle refuse to do more episodes? I recall 4Kids were actually going to fund more episodes. Unless they have changed their stance on the matter i dont think purchasing DVD's will revive the series through sales interest. Not that i wouldnt want to own the DVD's anyway, ofcourse, im a big fan.

#43 MoonNeko

MoonNeko

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 16 June 2008 - 01:58 PM

I know this sounds awful but.. I was soo excited when Funimation rescued One Piece from being completely destroyed by 4kids, but sadly I know One Piece has a much bigger fan following here in the US T__T

Kinnikuman is definately one of the most awesome, beautiful, emotional and action packed manga's I've ever had the pleasure of reading!! I wish intensely that Funimation would pick up the rights to this and save it, it just SUCKS ASS that their isn't a bigger following as much as I would buy whatever they brought out T__T

Hopefully 4kids will bring out the dvds JUST so I can actually get to watch the anime even if it's horribly edited and most of the voices are almost unbearable xD *shutters at some of the terrible accents.. xD*

Thanks for the info, hopefully they'll be some concrete good news for us Muscle Fans ^^

#44 nevdog81

nevdog81

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:Vintage video games, Football cards, comics pre-1999, Most action figures from the 1970- early 1990's.

Posted 25 July 2008 - 06:12 PM

Ladies and Gents, I have some awesome news. A couple of weeks ago, I sent a letter to Funi about UM DVDs (and mentioned our forum, I couldn't forget that) and the replyer gave this message (contents are in bold):

Thank you for your email. I am glad to hear you are a fan of Ultimate Muscle. There is an Ultimate Muscle DVD scheduled to release later this year. Unfortunately, I do not have any specific dates, but please continue to check www.funimation.com for the latest news and updates.

Could this be what we've been hoping for? Will we finally see more DVDs and/or a DVD box set? I know I should take a wait and see approch, but dammit, I want *OFFICAL* DVDs, not bootlegs with subtitles written by someone who is high on drugs!

However, please note that there is no specific date yet. That could change, but damn, this is GREAT NEWS!

And to those nameless fans who b*tch about Funi not replying, they won't pay attention to stupid badly-written rants. Being nice goes far.

Do you have anymore news about the Ultimate Muscle DVD release?
I would Kill for those DVD's!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#45 Mars

Mars

The REAL Mars fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 28 July 2008 - 07:20 PM

Interesting.

#46 Seres Wyvern

Seres Wyvern

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Interests:Macro photography, scientific illustration, coin collecting.

Posted 29 July 2008 - 07:36 AM

One day I'll hear my favourite chars english and japanese voices... Ahh, I will...
Posted Image

#47 dam2040

dam2040

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 11 August 2008 - 04:56 AM

Ladies and Gents, I have some awesome news. A couple of weeks ago, I sent a letter to Funi about UM DVDs (and mentioned our forum, I couldn't forget that) and the replyer gave this message (contents are in bold):

Thank you for your email. I am glad to hear you are a fan of Ultimate Muscle. There is an Ultimate Muscle DVD scheduled to release later this year. Unfortunately, I do not have any specific dates, but please continue to check www.funimation.com for the latest news and updates.

Could this be what we've been hoping for? Will we finally see more DVDs and/or a DVD box set? I know I should take a wait and see approch, but dammit, I want *OFFICAL* DVDs, not bootlegs with subtitles written by someone who is high on drugs!

However, please note that there is no specific date yet. That could change, but damn, this is GREAT NEWS!

And to those nameless fans who b*tch about Funi not replying, they won't pay attention to stupid badly-written rants. Being nice goes far.

This Will Be BRILLIANT Maybe It Will Be The Enter The DMP (this was cancelled) or maybe a new Boxset. :p

#48 nevdog81

nevdog81

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 167 posts
  • Interests:Vintage video games, Football cards, comics pre-1999, Most action figures from the 1970- early 1990's.

Posted 20 August 2008 - 08:27 PM

Ultimate Muscle ep.77 dub is on You Tube!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It will be a good taste until the end of the month when the US rights expire!
ENJOY!

#49 Bhayes1

Bhayes1

Budding Collector

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 96 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:34 PM

ENJOY!

any new news. or should we just give up? i mean how hard could it be. it would honestly sell well. a box set of ultimate muscle.

#50 Stecase King

Stecase King

Better than the otter

• Legends
  • 778 posts

Posted 02 March 2009 - 08:42 PM

ENJOY!

any new news. or should we just give up? i mean how hard could it be. it would honestly sell well. a box set of ultimate muscle.

It looks like we'll just have to settle for **** bootlegs or the HK bootlegs. (although the former is dub-only, and the last arc is delayed for some reason)

Edit: it looks like the guy who owns this site's name is wordfiltered.

Edited by Stecase King, 02 March 2009 - 11:45 PM.

Posted Image

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com