#1 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

Original AKIA Founder Y/S*N*T

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 12:35 PM

http://nerditis.com/...-power-rangers/

Puzzler.png

Ah, Mighty Morphin power Rangers.  By now, I'm sure everybody reading this knows that the footage was cobbled together from a bunch of Japanese shows, then combined with re-filmed scenes at Angel Valley, and then mutated a little more into the show that nineties kids grew up with.  But the important thing is: Monsters.  Whether it's a Kaiju series like Ultraman or a sentai series like any of the dozen or so used for Power Rangers, the shows will feature a new rubber suit every week!  In times long past, the Power Rangers toy lines included plenty of such awesome beasties, but for the last decade or so... nada.  That has changed this year.  We've got monsters!  FINALLY!  And one of the most striking ones is Puzzler.

Puzzler-Packaged.png

Puzzler was an enemy in Power Rangers Dino...Charge...Thunder...Ninja...Turbo...Storm... one of those shows (ed. Dino Charge).  His original Japanese name was Debo Kokokendo, and he fought with mazes, chess games, and by smacking people with a flag.  So he's not even a super-current bad guy, but he's clearly memorable enough to warrant a toy.  Yay!

Puzzler-Back.png

This is a bright, garish creature, and until you realize the maze aesthetic, he almost looks like a weird electric tribal mashup.  Although the paint is one of his big drawing points, it isn't perfect.  He's practically unpainted in the back, as well as on his legs - it's sadly lazy, because you can see so many details just left out!

Puzzler-BellyFace.png

Sculpturally, Puzzler has a lot going for him.  It isn't ust a general maze design, you can actually spot the "START" and "END" points on his body, as well as a "DEAD END" in one leg (unpainted).  Notably, he has an extra face on his torso - is that his true face?  It's hard to tell.

Puzzler-DeadEnd.png

The thing is, even in spite of the unpaitned parts, his sculpt is quite detailed. The maze can even be solved, if you feel like spending your time that way.

Puzzler-Frog.png

The articulation, however, is criminal.  It's so bad that I couldn't realistically get the usual twenty photos of this figure.  He has swivel arms (which barely move, and have frozen elbows), ball-jointed hips, and hinged knees, but everything feels stiff and constricted.  Puzzler can stand, or he can stand at kind of a crouch.  He can hold his flag up, or down.

Puzzler-Goal.png

The flag is a nice accessory.  It reads "GOAL" on both sides of the banner, which makes sense since the exit to his maze is in his wrist.  It's also show-accurate.

Puzzler-FlagDown.png

Overall, despite the lacking paint and cheap articulation, this figure's visual design is good enough to make hi worth it. I can't think of any other toys on the market that look like this, though his face is somewhat reminiscent of those Tiki toys from about a decade ago, maybe.

Puzzler-Face.png

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

#2 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
  • Interests:Creepers, chompies, iszs, zombies, trashies, tikis, minions, mordles, murlocs, mushroomies, skeletons, ghosts, gremlins, goblins, gargoyles, demons, devils, dryads, plant mutants, bug mutants, fish mutants, creatures with one eye, creatures with more than two eyes, other monsters, muties, and meanies. Stormtroopers, Jawas, Toy Story aliens, Hulk, Groot, Gilman, Gormiti, Cthulhu, Swamp Thing, Toxie, Treebeard, Muckman.
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Beetlejuice and Ghostbusters minis!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 26 February 2016 - 12:54 PM

What Tiki toys are you talking about?  Maybe that is why I love Puzzler, because I love Tikis!

Or it is just because, as a kid, I really loved mazes.  That was my doodle jam!  I would sit in class and design mazes that the other kids would try to solve. 

I also agree that the articulation and paint on this figure is piss poor.  If Puzzler were made as a proper Bullmark-style kaiju, that might be toy of the year!

Also, are you finding the other villains in this series?  There are three other cool ones that I would like to find, but have yet to see.  I have actually seen Puzzler five times at retail now, and none of the other cool ones.  As cool as Puzzler is, he looks to be the peg-warmer in the series.

Attached Files

Edited by steverotters, 26 February 2016 - 03:50 PM.

#3 steverotters

steverotters

Sid's Toy Barn

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2224 posts
  • Interests:Creepers, chompies, iszs, zombies, trashies, tikis, minions, mordles, murlocs, mushroomies, skeletons, ghosts, gremlins, goblins, gargoyles, demons, devils, dryads, plant mutants, bug mutants, fish mutants, creatures with one eye, creatures with more than two eyes, other monsters, muties, and meanies. Stormtroopers, Jawas, Toy Story aliens, Hulk, Groot, Gilman, Gormiti, Cthulhu, Swamp Thing, Toxie, Treebeard, Muckman.
    GREEN figs and GID figs!
    Scooby Doo villains!
    Beetlejuice and Ghostbusters minis!
    Tech Deck Dudes!
    Yeti and Bigfoot BFFs!

Posted 26 February 2016 - 01:21 PM

"If you were as smart as me, you wouldn't have to ask"

Has Puzzler been writing speeches for Donald Trump?

#4 Ridureyu

Ridureyu

Original AKIA Founder Y/S*N*T

• Legends
  • 9374 posts

Posted 26 February 2016 - 07:28 PM

I've sene pretty much all of them at retail, here and there.  And I meant the TikiMon toys by... whats that company.

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com