4 replies to this topic

#1 Bogachu

Bogachu

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 December 2016 - 06:04 PM

After seeing the custom toy show I was really inspired and using photoshop I threw together a really crude mock-up of my idea. Essentially "What if Boglins were around during the Pokemon craze? Would they have parodied them?"

I was hoping someone who either attended and/or was knowledgable about the subject would know what sort of paint to use so that 

1. The puppet would still be flexible and not just a statue piece.

2. Won't ruin the rubber

If it came down to it though I'd be happy having it as just a static figure, but a flexible puppet would be ideal because it could be fun to mess with on video

Attached Files

#2 tommyfilth

tommyfilth

Maciste

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Toys, puppets, being a dad.

Posted 07 December 2016 - 09:27 PM

I believe they are made of silicone, which is a britch to paint with any conventional paint.  You would have to take the route of Special effects painters and either use a rubber cement paint or a silicone paint.  Smooth-on makes a silicone paint product called psycho paint which might work and there are many resources for rubber cement paint online but the basic process is to thin rubber cement to an airbrush-able consistency and add oil based paint for coloring.  Yuo can find more out about both processes at http://www.theeffectslab.com/ it is a really good resource or spfx makeup.

This is all based on the assumption that the Boglins are made from silicone (which I believe they are)  but anything you do should be tested in an inconspicuous area just in case if doesn't stick or does attack the rubber.

Hope this helps.

#3 WendyW

WendyW

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 08 December 2016 - 05:35 AM

This is all based on the assumption that the Boglins are made from silicone (which I believe they are)  but anything you do should be tested in an inconspicuous area just in case if doesn't stick or does attack the rubber.

Underneath the tail would probably be a good place to test. It won't be visible and the rubber's pretty thick there so even if it does do some damage it won't be a big problem.

My comics:

Gilbert and the Grim Rabbit - gilbertandgrim.com

Commander Cottontail - commandercottontail.com

#4 Bogachu

Bogachu

Wet Behind The Ears

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 December 2016 - 04:12 PM

I believe they are made of silicone, which is a britch to paint with any conventional paint.  You would have to take the route of Special effects painters and either use a rubber cement paint or a silicone paint.  Smooth-on makes a silicone paint product called psycho paint which might work and there are many resources for rubber cement paint online but the basic process is to thin rubber cement to an airbrush-able consistency and add oil based paint for coloring.  Yuo can find more out about both processes at http://www.theeffectslab.com/ it is a really good resource or spfx makeup.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the suggestions! I decided to browse the Boglin tag on Tumblr and I found something interesting: Someone repainted the inside a Boglin's damaged mouth using Plasti-dip in a can. It's a flexible rubber coating that's used on cars mostly but has been applied to costuming as well. I might give that a try if I can find a Boglin to use as a Guinea pig

#5 tommyfilth

tommyfilth

Maciste

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts
  • Interests:Toys, puppets, being a dad.

Posted 12 December 2016 - 10:44 PM

Plasti dip does stay flexible, but it is vinyl and I'm not sure how well it would last on silicone.  Just remember to test before committing.

Tommy

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com