11 replies to this topic

#1 Doctor Dew

Doctor Dew

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 11 July 2002 - 01:18 AM

i will be moving in a few months and will be in the market for a decent reliable used car. i am looking to spend no more than $3000, closer to $2000 if possible. but since there is no "official" used car price (unless its Kelly Blue Book), guesstimates are great. nothing fancy, just a reliable machine that gets good gas mileage. will be driving about 40 miles daily and occasional 300-350 mile trips once or twice a year. does anyone have any thoughts on this? any good personal experience with a certain type of car? any auto mechanics or other professionals in a car related field? any input would be appreciated. thanks gang. ;)
also any really funny stories about bad car experiences would be fun to hear as well. ^_^

#2 RubzOne

RubzOne

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Posted 11 July 2002 - 02:16 AM

I drive a Honda CRX... Great car, 28-35 and I have had it since 96. I have taken it in the shop maybe 3 times and its a '91! IMO this is a great car, kinda limited on interior space, but if you're looking to get to point B it's a great car... and you can park it anywhere. I'm looking at buying a MINI at the end of the year, those things rule the day...

Bow before MINI
Cry in the dojo... laugh on the battlefield

#3 jkaris

jkaris

AKIA Site Owner Y/S*N*T

• Little Rubber Guys
  • 22185 posts

Posted 11 July 2002 - 10:51 AM

Anything Honda! That's ALL I buy. I bought my wife a Plymouth Voyager for our 5th Anniversary and I will NEVER buy another American made car again (a Chevy truck maybe). They are crap!. Buy a Honda 87-02 and you can't go wrong.

#4 Doctor Dew

Doctor Dew

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 11 July 2002 - 11:33 AM

hmm, honda sounds cool. i checked out those minis and they looked a little too "Mr. Bean" for my taste. but whatever floats your boat... ;)
i'll start my search in the Honda direction. thanks...

#5 theCrazyest

theCrazyest

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 11 July 2002 - 02:20 PM

You really can't go wrong with a Honda. My wife and I have a '93 Civic, my sister-n-law has an Accoard. I'd have to agree with the newer AmericanCars being crap, I owned a '64 FordGalaxy and it never gave me any problems but all of my friends who bought Saturns, Geos, the recent Chevys, and newer Fords all have had a load of problems. I'm also not down with the BMW produced MiniCoopers, I liked the old Austin amde ones but what can you do, It's kinda like the Harley/Honda thing. :p

BTW have you tried looking in the Recycler or AutoTrader? they sell lots of vehicles for pretty decent prices, maybe they can help you out. B)

- theCrazyEst

..must have new KiNNiKuMaN Muscle Shot update for Andriod..
KiNNiKuLove 4 Life!

#6 Doctor Dew

Doctor Dew

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 11 July 2002 - 10:47 PM

I owned a '64 FordGalaxy and it never gave me any problems

BTW have you tried looking in the Recycler or AutoTrader? they sell lots of vehicles for pretty decent prices, maybe they can help you out.  :p

That is cool! Right now I drive a 1963 Ford Fairlane 500 2 Door Hard Top Sports Coupe. i like to say the whole name because it makes me feel cool, so indulge me.... :D but it has had some work. a rebuilt engine, new brakes, etc. the tranny feels like it might be the next to go...so sad. but a very fun car. great for the old drive-in movie theaters.

BTW, if you know anyone who wants a Fairlane (forget the stated price):
www.binaryexposure.com/jaredw/fairlane
:p note the license plate and crappy Washington weather B)

yeah i have been looking in the nickel want ads and auto trader and stuff, but didn't really have a focus. so next time i'll be all over the honda tip. my girlfriend has an 86 accord and it still runs well with over 150000 miles. so right on. thanks. :p

#7 theCrazyest

theCrazyest

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 12 July 2002 - 01:46 PM

Right on! Old American cars rule! I've been saving up for my two dream cars a '57 Cadi convertible complete with suicideDoors, fins, & skirts! and a Ford'34 Slant-top. Sadly with my recent family expansion I think I'll have to put it on the back burner and get my wife the Honda Odyssey that she's been wanting (the one with 240 horses)! So I'm right there with you! Good luck DrDew. :p

- theCrazyEst

KiNNiKuLove 4 Life!

#8 Doctor Dew

Doctor Dew

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 12:26 AM

I've been saving up for my two dream cars a '57 Cadi convertible complete with suicideDoors, fins, & skirts!

holy crap! that is a dam good choice. :o
now you are talking one fine automobile. why don't modern cars have suicide doors? i'll never know. i don't care about costs or safety or anything. suicide doors + chrome + big old gas guzzling V8 + convertible + 1-3 foot long fins = A DREAM MACHINE.

#9 theCrazyest

theCrazyest

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 01:29 AM

Yeah! me & DrDew in a '57 Cadi hard top converti! :o With a cooler full of ice cold beverages, a box of snacks, & a list of MUSCLEs needed to complete collections! Sounds like roadtrip city to me! :wub:

- theCrazyEst

KiNNiKuLove 4 Life!

#10 Doctor Dew

Doctor Dew

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 01:39 AM

Yeah! me & DrDew in a '57 Cadi hard top converti!  :o  With a cooler full of ice cold beverages, a box of snacks, & a list of MUSCLEs needed to complete collections! Sounds like roadtrip city to me!  :wub:

i'd much rather prefer it if we were coming back with boxes FULL of the Muscles we needed to complete our collections. and bonus spinning head ashuramen for everyone!!! maybe i'll find a place that rents old cars (somebody has to do it, i cant be the first person to think of it) and i'll roll to the Muscle Con in an old convertible caddy..... woo-hoo! ^_^

#11 theCrazyest

theCrazyest

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 287 posts

Posted 14 July 2002 - 07:04 PM

Hey DrDew:

now that would be styleish as all Hell! :o The SpinningHeadAshuraman would make a nice trophy also! :wub:

- theCrazyEst

KiNNiKuLove 4 Life!

#12 Doctor Dew

Doctor Dew

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 24 August 2002 - 05:41 PM

as a Doctor, I am very good at bringing the dead back to life, as you can see.

but in case anyone cares (or doesn't care), i ended up buying a 1987 Nissan Extended Cab Pickup. 4 wheel drive, cruise control, detachable cd player with remote, big tires, air, heater, etc. no body damage, great engine. only 700 bucks from my girlfriend's neighbor. a hell of a nice guy.

it is no Honda, but it runs great. see you on the road!

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com