• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts
  • Interests:Former Pro Wrestler so naturally Wrestling, Kinnikuman, Saint Seiya, Kinkeshi, Deka Kinkeshi & throw in some AoA!

Posted 27 July 2018 - 07:08 AM

Super Sentai Showcase #3: Power Rangers Collection

Before I knew what Super Sentai was...there was Mighty Morphin Power Rangers!

This was a big part of my childhood, I remember seeing the pilot episode and for a bit having to rush home from school because Power Rangers aired at 2:30 pm (school finished at 2:30).

I have fond memories of the FOX Kids cartoon lineup from the 90's (X-Men, Batman The Animated Series, Bobby's World etc).

Since I was born in 1985, I was at the right age when Power Rangers aired on TV.

Of all the cartoons and toy lines from my childhood (besides wrestling) I have the most memories from MMPR.

I remember right before the movie came out in 1995, Jason David Frank & Johnny Yong Bosch made a public appearance/had a signing and went to "The Taste of Chicago" (annual summer event in Chicago).

I begged my parents to take me and I was legit the first person to get there and was even interviewed by the local FOX News affiliate (I taped it but all those old VHS tapes are no more & man I wish I could get my hands on it for memories sake).

JDF was super cool and I remember giving him a comic book to sign and my Saba White Tiger Zord (he grabbed it and even did a little sword play).

My favorite Power Ranger was the Red Ranger (Jason); that was my Dude!

Growing in the Southwest side of Chicago my family was low income but my Dad made it a point to surprise me on birthdays, Christmas etc

No way my parents could afford all that stuff but somehow they made it work.

My Father also had the foresight to buy the five Rangers from the start (knowing I would want them all) and spread them out throughout the year as gifts. He had no idea they would become a "hot item" and that they would be sold out or sold for as much as $100 a piece during the madness of MMPR!

I think the popularity of the show had to do with kids being able to identify with a character. Jason was not exactly Latino but thats who I identified with the most.

During my last trip to Asia I "gave in" and started collecting Super Sentai/Power Rangers but especially MMPR figures from my childhood.

I lost my entire collection once I moved out and went to college in 2003 (my attic flooded in my childhood apartment complex in Chicago).

So it has been fun getting some of those figures back from my childhood, pure sentimental feels!

This thread will be dedicated to the MMPR toy line and please feel free to share any stories or your collection!

Edited by kayfabe1985, 27 July 2018 - 07:11 AM.

#2 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts
  • Interests:Former Pro Wrestler so naturally Wrestling, Kinnikuman, Saint Seiya, Kinkeshi, Deka Kinkeshi & throw in some AoA!

Posted 04 August 2018 - 03:35 PM

Power Rangers Zeo Auto Morphin Figures

After getting the Chōriki Sentai Ohranger auto morphin figures, I was on the hunt for the Power Ranger Zeo Auto Morphin figures. I didnt own these as a kid (by this point my world was more consumed by Pro Wrestling, I still liked Power Rangers though). Apparently these are not cheap, especially the complete boxed set of five figures. I ended up buying these separately on ebay and that wound up  being cheaper: I bought the Green and Red Ranger together and the other three individually but from the same seller on ebay. I am only missing the Blue Ranger Rocky (so if anyone has him and wants to part with him or sell him please contact me!). Having a "new" Jason Auto Morphin figure and Kat Auto Morphin figure was cool!

Attached File  1.jpg   59.59K   4 downloadsAttached File  2.jpg   66.16K   3 downloads

#3 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts

Posted 06 August 2018 - 06:34 AM

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Auto Morphin Figures

I have so many fond memories of these figures! I would say I enjoyed these more as a child than the first release of 8' inch figures. I found these on ebay and I won a huge lot from a seller in France.

I was really surprised (since am new to collecting this line) at how available or widespread these figures got! Finding the vintage figures mint or complete is probably more difficult (accessories, tight joints/legs etc) but some of the prices for these on ebay are insane.

I saw some great prices Stateside but unfortunately international shipping or the ebay global shipping program really hike up the grand total price.

Of course some of the figures have been re-released but now that HASBRO has acquired the rights I don't know what that means for the other Rangers in the line/collection.

Eventually I would like upgrades & the Green Ranger shield

I owned the original 5 auto morphin Rangers but I never got the White Ranger, Rocky, Adam or Aisha.

So it was nice to reclaim a piece of my childhood along with some new figures :)

Attached File  1.jpg   62.71K   0 downloadsAttached File  2.jpg   65.14K   0 downloads

Attached File  3.jpg   53.66K   0 downloadsAttached File  4.jpg   53.8K   0 downloads

Attached File  5.jpg   49.31K   0 downloadsAttached File  6.jpg   56.91K   0 downloads

Attached File  7.jpg   51.68K   0 downloads

#4 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts

Posted 15 August 2018 - 04:06 AM

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers 8" Scale Figures

Came back from a "small vacation" in Bayern & Austria and this was waiting at my doorstep! So many childhood memories! It was one of my collecting „Holy Grails“! Since I live in Germany, it’s not easy to acquire certain things as easily as it would be back home in Chicago.

I always get killed on international shipping and the ebay global shipping program but luckily the Euro is stronget than the U.S. dollar so it feels like less of a sting...

You can find these sealed on ebay all the time and they are not rare or anything like that but it made a nice addition nostalgia wise for me.

So having a complete set “sealed in box” (some with the old KB Toys sticker prices!) hit me right in the feels. I remember in 3rd grade getting a good report card. The next day when I came back home from school the Pink Ranger was waiting for me in the dinner table (the first PR I got was Jason).

My Dad was smart enough to buy the other 4 Rangers at the same time knowing I would want them all (he tried spreading them out) but not knowing they would be a hot ticket item that Christmas (I would later discover the Blue & Yellow Ranger hidden in the attic!).

Found on: ebay

Price: $162 Shipped (I paid in Euros)

Average Price on ebay: Depending on condition of the box, between $19 and up + shipping each

Attached File  1.jpg   115K   2 downloadsAttached File  2.jpg   113.07K   1 downloads

Attached File  3.jpg   124.03K   4 downloadsAttached File  4.jpg   129.99K   3 downloads

Attached File  5.jpg   120.24K   3 downloadsAttached File  6.jpg   113.42K   2 downloads

#5 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts

Posted 21 August 2018 - 05:24 AM

Mighty Morphin Power Rangers Legacy Communicator

To quote Jasper Beardly from The Simpsons: "What a time to be alive"

This is a modern release but as a kid I remember loving the McDonalds movie toy line because the release had a communicator.

I also had this watch that looked like a communicator (I got it at JCPenney) but nothing compared to the Legacy Communicator!

I had to take it to a watchmaker in order to adjust the lenght (I have small wrists LOL). I totally plan on wearing this!

These are widely available and you can find one at an affordable price ( I got mine from a UK ebay seller).

It comes with all 5 color bands and naturally I am rocking the Red Ranger band :)

They didnt have toys like these when I was a kid!

Price: 75 EUR Shipped

Attached File  1.jpg   149.84K   0 downloadsAttached File  2.jpg   146.78K   0 downloads

Attached File  3.jpg   110.37K   0 downloadsAttached File  4.jpg   163.25K   0 downloads

Attached File  5.jpg   212.33K   0 downloads

#6 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts

Posted 25 August 2018 - 04:31 PM

Power Rangers Power Gun/Sword & Power Morpher Set (European Variant)

This was one of my "Holy Grails" besides the 8" inch figures and Auto Morphin figures. I owned this as a kid but I had the U.S. release with the window box and I found this on ebay from a UK seller (I always find it interesting how they didn't have the "Mighty Morphin" on the box or toy releases from Europe; reminds of the "Teenage Mutant Hero" business).

The boxed set was not new but in really good condition (it was still sealed on the opposite side of the box). I see the vinate U.S. release Morphers on ebay but either incomplete and without coins or for some insane prices when I take shipping into account (stipid ebay global shipping!).

I sent the seller an offer and he accepted, so I was happy I ended up with this piece in my collection.

Price: 75 EUR Shipped

Attached File  A.jpg   116.02K   0 downloadsAttached File  B.jpg   107.37K   0 downloads

Attached File  C.jpg   188.02K   0 downloadsAttached File  D.jpg   122.97K   0 downloads

Attached File  E.jpg   106.61K   0 downloadsAttached File  F.jpg   52.43K   1 downloads

Attached File  G.jpg   51.9K   0 downloads

#7 EdGein

EdGein

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 03 September 2018 - 03:11 AM

Believe it or not, I actually work on the TV show as a propmaker!

I wasn't into PR as a kid for some reason, but was obviously exposed to it a lot.  After I started working on the show, however, I schooled up a little on the history and have purchased 10 or so of the baddies from some of the earlier series of toys.  I love how stupid the monsters are!  Eye Guy?!?!  He's a pile of eyes!  Love it.

The fact that I love toys makes working on the show a pleasure.  The aesthetic and quality is not the best, but there is definitely a certain "power rangers" feel and approach to the style of propmaking--bright colors, flashing lights, etc.  We essentially make adult-sized version of the toys with really nice paint jobs, haha!

#8 kayfabe1985

kayfabe1985

Toy Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1362 posts

Posted 04 September 2018 - 01:45 AM

That is incredible!

Believe it or not, I actually work on the TV show as a propmaker!

I wasn't into PR as a kid for some reason, but was obviously exposed to it a lot.  After I started working on the show, however, I schooled up a little on the history and have purchased 10 or so of the baddies from some of the earlier series of toys.  I love how stupid the monsters are!  Eye Guy?!?!  He's a pile of eyes!  Love it.

The fact that I love toys makes working on the show a pleasure.  The aesthetic and quality is not the best, but there is definitely a certain "power rangers" feel and approach to the style of propmaking--bright colors, flashing lights, etc.  We essentially make adult-sized version of the toys with really nice paint jobs, haha!

That is incredible! If you can, you should post some pics of some of your prop work!

#9 EdGein

EdGein

Serious Collector

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 114 posts

Posted 05 September 2018 - 01:22 AM

Well I'm under NDA for the current season, but I might be able to share a couple pics from last season.  Do you still watch?  You know the frog guns from Ninja Steel/Super Ninja Steel?  I made those!  Also Pink Ranger's hover board, and the trophy the ninja steel is hidden in.  Amongst sooooo much other stuff.  There are the big across-season props that we spend most of pre-shooting prep making, but also anywhere from 2-10 episodal props we have to bust out sometimes on pretty short notice!

We're hard at work on the next season right now.  Week 5 of prep!

Copyright © 2024 LittleRubberGuys.com